Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon  (Read 12967 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon:
Time for another movie marathon... this time I decided to not have any theme... I am just going to watch whatever I get in the mood for. I will probably be watching mostly ones from my unwatched shelf... but might watch some others I have seen as well. Anyway... this weekend I watched:

Trilogy of Terror
Legendary producer/director Dan Curtis ('Dark Shadows', 'The Night Stalker') teams up with writers Richard Matheson ('I Am Legend', 'The Twilight Zone') and William F. Nolan ('Logan's Run', 'Burnt Offerings') to present three tales of horrific suspense in this made-for-television anthology that also showcases the tremendous acting talent of Karen Black ('House of 1,000 Corpses', 'Easy Rider'), who plays four distinct roles. In "Julie," an aggressive college student seduces and ultimately blackmails his seemingly shy English professor. In "Millicent and Therese," two polar-opposite sisters become increasingly hell-bent on the undoing of one another. And in "Amelia," a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni fetish doll.

My Thoughts:
This is a TV Movie back from the 1970's... I have heard a lot about this movie over the years... everyone talking about how much they enjoyed it... but this is the first time I ever got to actually see it. I have to say... they were not wrong... I really enjoyed every minute of this movie! My favorite segment has to be the one with the Zuni fetish doll. That little guy was just cool!

I don't know what it is about the 1970's.... but they had a lot of really good TV Movies in that decade! So far every one of them that I have seen I really enjoyed a lot!  If you are a horror fan and have not yet seen Trilogy of Terror... I highly recommend it!
Pete

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
Hey, Touti, have you ever seen Frogs? I saw a triple set the other day with Lake Placid, Frogs and Piranha. I already have Lake Placid and often upgrade to sets like these, but I know I'm not fussed about Piranha. Frogs definitely sounds dodgy, but so dodgy it's good? Or avoid at all cost?

Touti

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »
Hey, Touti, have you ever seen Frogs? I saw a triple set the other day with Lake Placid, Frogs and Piranha. I already have Lake Placid and often upgrade to sets like these, but I know I'm not fussed about Piranha. Frogs definitely sounds dodgy, but so dodgy it's good? Or avoid at all cost?

Didin't you mean "Addicted2dvd" ?

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
Yes. What's your point?   :tease:

:bag:

You can answer as well if you've seen it!  ;)

Touti

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »
Yes. What's your point?   :tease:

:bag:

You can answer as well if you've seen it!  ;)

There's one thing you have to know to understand my reaction.  In Canada, french people call english "Blokes" and english people call us "Frogs" so I was kind a surprise to see you coming outta nowhere, in a thread I didn't post in and ask me if I had seen Frogs, of course I have, I'm one of them  :hysterical:

But no, I haven't seen it btw.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
There's one thing you have to know to understand my reaction.  In Canada, french people call english "Blokes" and english people call us "Frogs" so I was kind a surprise to see you coming outta nowhere, in a thread I didn't post in and ask me if I had seen Frogs, of course I have, I'm one of them  :hysterical:

But no, I haven't seen it btw.
[/quote]

:hysterical:

I know of the frog nickname, but never thought of it in relation to Canada. Bloke on the other hand is an interesting one. It's very, very common here in the UK, and Australia. It's used all the time and is entirely synonymous with men. Especially when you relate a story involving male strangers. For instance, "I saw this bloke today who asked me for directions..."

People who don't know me at work might ask, "Are you the computer bloke?". It isn't remotely insulting unless the context is supposed to be! "That bloke is a right ugly pillock", etc.

Would you use it in relation to all english people then, regardless of gender? If you do, beware of using it front of the ones that have breasts! Women are never, ever, blokes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:17:47 PM »

I bought Frogs (the movie)  :P out of the $5 Walmart Bargain Bin a few years ago... and still haven't gotten enough courage to actually watch it yet though. I may just have to check it out this weekend! LOL
Pete

Touti

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:27:23 PM »
I don't know where it comes from but for us a Bloke is an english canadian, male or female and for them, a frog is a french-canadian regardless of gender.  That said, they're not names we use in all good fun, if an english person calls me a frog I'll take it as an insult and I'm sure it goes the same for them being called Blokes.

This is a delicate matter because french and english communities don't get along very well in Canada and Quebec.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 09:52:30 PM »
One thing I always hated was name calling... It is something that can get very ugly.

but as of right now.. I think I will go watch the second half of Disturbia... got sidetracked when that package came.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 12:27:41 AM »

Disturbia
Even on this quiet tree-lined street, no one is safe...especially from the savage killer next door. Welcome to 'Disturbia', "a cool thriller with big scares" (Richard Roeper, 'EBERT & ROEPER').

Living under three months' house arrest, Kale Brecht (Shia LaBeouf, 'Transformers') passes his days spying on the neighbors. It's all fun and games until things take a horrifying turn for the worse. Kale is convinced his neighbor next door is a serial killer - but he can't prove anything, can't convince anyone and can't leave his house without triggering an alarm. Enlisting the help of his friends, Kale is determined to expose the truth - but have they all taken on more than they bargained for with a cold-blooded murderer on the loose?

With nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, Kale and his friends are in a race for their lives in this electrifying thriller that will keep you on the edge on your seat.

My Thoughts:
I have been looking forward to this movie since the first time I saw the trailer on TV! So I didn't wait long at all... I had to pop this one in the same day I got the DVD! :-p

I watched this movie... and all I can say is WOW! This was an awesome movie!!! Yes... I will admit it is not the most original movie in the world... but what they did with it was outstanding. I really was truly glued to the TV the whole time I was watching it. And for a DVD that is not even a special edition... this disc was loaded with extras! I did watch all the extras yet... but I did watch the Theatrical Trailer before I watched the movie.... I do that a lot with movies I never seen before... really gets me in the mood for what I am about to watch... plus I checked out the Deleted Scenes, the Outtakes... and the Photo Gallery. If you haven't seen this movie yet... I strongly recommend checking it out as soon as possible!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 03:59:26 AM »

The Running Man: Special Edition
THE YEAR IS 2019.
Television is now ruling people's lives. The most popular "audience participation" game show is "The Running Man" - where convicts can win pardons instead of "parting gifts" by defeating murderous henchmen known as "stalkers." The stalkers haven't had much of a challenge lately...until Ben Richards (Schwarzenegger) comes along.

My Thoughts:
I figured while I am at it... I would go ahead and knock out my other new movie. This one I know I have seen before... but it was many years... when it was first out on VHS. I definitely enjoyed it then... and now is no different... because I still found this movie to be a lot of fun. Makes you wonder... with the popularity of Reality TV... is it only a matter of time before we take it this far?

I thought it was fun to watch the "Stalkers" go down one at a time... going against Ben Richards. My favorites of the stalkers had to be between the one with the chainsaw and the one with the flame thrower. There was a few extras on this DVD... but I didn't check out any of them yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »

The Return
Sarah Michelle Gellar ('The Grudge') stars in this shocking, non-stop supernatural thriller unlike anything you've ever experienced before. Joanna Mills (Gellar) is haunted by increasingly terrifying visions where she can see and feel the brutal murder of a woman she's never met. With her life spiraling out-of-control, she follows the relentless nightmares to an eerie small town in Texas - a place where secrets can't be buried, a spirit seeks vengeance, and the horrific murder from Joanna's visions may just be her own.

My Thoughts:
This one was a complete blind buy... I never even saw the trailer before.I basically bought it because of Sarah Michelle Gellar is in it... and I have liked her since the Buffy the Vampire Slayer days. This movie is another one that I found confusing. It is one that you really need to pay attention to. But another problem I had with this movie was that they don't set up the story well enough to get you to care about the characters. Other then that it is only what I would consider a fair movie. Nothing spooky in it what so ever... so I am less then pleased. I will still keep it in my collection... who knows maybe I will like it more the second time I watch it... that has happened to me before.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 01:46:30 AM »

Dark Ride: After Dark Horrorfest
Nearly a decade after two young girls are brutally murdered, the monstrous killer, Jonah, escapes from a mental institution and returns to his familiar killing ground, the theme park attraction "Dark Ride." His unfortunate victims this time are a group of college kids on a road trip that inevitably leads them to the Dark Ride where their night of youthful fun becomes a nightmare. The killer, who is mimicking the sets within the attraction, makes sure this is a "ride" audiences will never forget.

My Thoughts:
This one I enjoyed quite a bit... no... it wasn't the best horror movie I ever seen... but it is far from the worst too. of course after the initial action of the set-up scene things did slow down quite a bit until the group of college students made it to the Dark Ride. But once there... things picked up pretty quickly. This one had a twist ending... that looking back was pretty obvious... but I must be off my game tonight... as I didn't see it coming at all.

It is a decent DVD release... with a nice collection of extras.... but I didn't take the time to check any of them out this time around. Gotta save something for the next time I watch it... don't I?

Well... I think that brings my Weekend Movie Marathon to an end... Over-all it was a good marathon... I really enjoyed most of what I watched. Always a good thing!
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

Trilogy of Terror

My Thoughts:
This is a TV Movie back from the 1970's... I have heard a lot about this movie over the years... everyone talking about how much they enjoyed it... but this is the first time I ever got to actually see it. I have to say... they were not wrong... I really enjoyed every minute of this movie! My favorite segment has to be the one with the Zuni fetish doll. That little guy was just cool!

I don't know what it is about the 1970's.... but they had a lot of really good TV Movies in that decade! So far every one of them that I have seen I really enjoyed a lot!  If you are a horror fan and have not yet seen Trilogy of Terror... I highly recommend it!

Well folks, the thread Necromancer has dug deep, thanks to the random review generator.  :whistle:

I remember seeing this in its initial run on ABC television back in 1975, I remember that the first two segments were rather ho hum, but the third story about the Zuni doll, scared the living shit out of me. I'm not too much of a horror fan, but if you're looking for something that will definitely un-nerve you, it's this.