Author Topic: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008  (Read 152390 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:27 AM »

Title: Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives
Movie Count: 95
TV Ep Count: 45
Other  Count: 2
Time Started: 4:15am
Plot:
As a child, Tommy Jarvis did what many other died trying to do. He killed Jason Vorhees, the mass murderer who terrorized the residents of Crystal Lake. But now, years later, Tommy is tormented by the fear that maybe Jason isn't really dead.

So Tommy and a friend go to the cemetery to dig up Jason's grave. Unfortunately for Tommy, (and very unfortunately for his friend), instead of finding a rotting corpse, they discover a well rested Jason who comes back from the dead for another bloody rampage in 'Friday The 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives'.

My Thoughts:
This one I did enjoy. It seemed to step things up a bit... but once again most the characters in this one I just didn't care about. I do think it was pretty cool this one was centered more around Tommy Garvis trying to stop Jason then it was about the teens just dying one by one. Gave it a little more of a story.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:50:11 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »

Title: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood
Movie Count: 96
Time Started: 6:45am
Plot:
Ever since homicidal maniac Jason Voorhees got trapped in chains at the bottom of Crystal Lake, the nearby summer camp has operated without a hitch... without a murder. But one of this season's happy campers has brought along a deadly secret.

Tina Shepherd can see the future and levitate objects. Her doctor knows just how dangerous telekinesis can be, but he's out to exploit her, not help her. And now it's too late. Tina has accidentally unchained Jason from his watery grave and the bloodbath is underway.

Tina's special powers are her only hope for survival. But what chance does a teenage girl have against an axe-wielding maniac?

My Thoughts:
I hear a lot of people don't care for this one. Mostly the reason I have seen given is because of the girl with telekinetic powers. Even though it may have not been the best thing to go with... that is something that never really bothered me. The movie on a whole I feel is pretty good... no, it isn't the best movie I ever seen... but it is something I am able to enjoy with little effort. I feel it is definitely worth watching.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »

Title: Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
Movie Count: 97
Time Started: 8:30am
Plot:
The Big Apple's in big trouble, as indestructible psycho-fiend Jason Voorhees hits the road to New York City -- and paints the town "red."

After a shocking return from beyond the grave, the diabolical Jason ships out aboard a teen filled "love boat" bound for New York, which he soon transforms into the ultimate voyage of the damned. Then one of his terrified victims escapes into the nightmarish maze of Manhattan's subways and sewers, only to confront Jason one final time.

My Thoughts:
This is my least favorite of the F13 movies. I still find it worth watching... but I really didn't care much for Jason in New York. He just belongs in the woods! Though there was a part or two that was worth a good chuckle with him in the city. And I really didn't care the way they chose to end this one.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

Title: Child's Play: Chucky's 20th Birthday Edition
Movie Count: 98
Time Started: 4:30pm
Plot:
Six-year-old Andy is thrilled when he gets a brand-new, cheery Chucky doll for his birthday. But he quickly discovers that Chucky is possessed by the soul of a notorious serial killer who swiftly begins terrorizing Andy, his ill-fated babysitter and his disbelieving mom. And he doesn't stop there. Proving he's nobody to toy with, the demonic doll schemes to transfer his evil spirit out of its "kid-friendly" container...and into Andy!

My Thoughts:
After 8 F13 movies I am getting a bit tired of Jason. Time to slip over to something else. So thought I would check out my newest DVD. I always enjoyed Child's Play. And we finally get a widescreen version of the movie! Not to mention a special edition with a lot of extras. The best part... I got to upgrade to it without it costing me anything! It has been a while since I seen this one... so was good to watch again. I really enjoyed it. I didn't get the chance to check out many of the extras yet though.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »

Title: Halloween
Movie Count: 99
Time Started: 7:30am
Plot:
Fifteen years ago, Michael Myers brutally massacred his sister. Now, after escaping from a mental hospital, he's back to relive his grisly crime again, and again...and again..

My Thoughts:
This is of course a classic horror that I must watch every year around this time. Usually on Halloween day like I did this year. This is of course the one that started it all... and finding out from one of the featurettes on the disc... a movie that was shot very quickly and cheaply. You would never know it watching the movie. I feel they all did an awesome job on this movie! It comes highly recommended by me!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »

Title: Halloween (2007)
Movie Count: 100  :yahoo:
Time Started: 2:45pm
Plot:
Rob Zombie ('The Devil's Rejects') 'reinvents the ultimate slasher classic,' unleashing Michael Myers for a bloody rollercoaster of a rampage like fans have never seen. Including a retelling of the original story that unfolds at a breakneck pace, as well as a chilling new introduction that finally reveals the secrets behind Myers' disturbing childhood, 'Halloween' breathes new life into one of film history's most terrifying tales. "It will leave you speechless" ('Bloody-Disgusting').

My Thoughts:
I been watching all the different sites I post to through-out this month... and I noticed that this movie gets very little (if any) love. It seems that most people I have talked to hate this movie. This is something I just don't understand. Maybe it is because they are comparing it to the original... I don't know. But that is something I don't do. I look at each movie on it's own merits alone.

I personally really enjoyed every minute of this movie. It felt like a prequel and a remake all rolled into one... and I personally think they did a great job with it. I found it really interesting how they portrayed his childhood... and thought they did well with the remake half as well. I know I am in the minority here... but that is ok... I am used to that when it comes to the movies I watch! Anyway... I am definitely glad I watched it today to round off my month long marathon.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

OK... That is it... I can't watch anything this evening... so that is the end of this year's month long marathon! Not to bad... 100 movies and 45 TV Episodes!... I broke all my records once again!!!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Pete

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
Congrats Pete  :clap:
It's a lot of movies to watch and reviewed.

Now I suppose that you will be on an horror break for at least a couple of day

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »
LOL... yeah... a day or so anyway!  Thanks!... it has definitely been a fun month! I loved every minute of it... ok... maybe not every minute! (The Sorority, The Curse of Lizzie Borden)... but definitely enjoyed the past month!  :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »
Congratulations. :)
That's a lot of movies for one month.  You did get me motivated to watch more horror type movies this month as well - I always had planned on doing that to some degree, but not as many as I have so far.  I'm not sure how many I got through last year..maybe 15 or 20.  Right now I'm at 37 and I think I'm gonna go try to watch a few more.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2008, 01:15:39 AM »
I loved every minute of it... ok... maybe not every minute! (The Sorority, The Curse of Lizzie Borden)... but definitely enjoyed the past month!  :)
But you're lucky since The Bagman, Wolf Creek and Oasis of the Zombies were not parts of your marathon. Maybe next year  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2008, 03:04:14 AM »
Well done, Pete. As I said, you're a madman, but a great one! :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2008, 03:09:58 AM »
Good job Pete! Though as Jon says, you are a madman in regards to DVD! I don't think I know anybody who bears the name "addicted2dvd" better than you!  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2008, 04:23:39 AM »
:bow: well done, Pete! Now try beating that number(s) next year :devil:

It's always an enjoyment to read how you find something interesting in almost every, even the worst of movies (you almost never give a movie a "1", or am I imagining things), yet none of them ever gets full points. Great to see something taking that much pleasure out of viewing just about anything).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Thanks all!  ;D

I loved every minute of it... ok... maybe not every minute! (The Sorority, The Curse of Lizzie Borden)... but definitely enjoyed the past month!  :)
But you're lucky since The Bagman, Wolf Creek and Oasis of the Zombies were not parts of your marathon. Maybe next year  :laugh:

But remember?....
NO MORE DEALS!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Pete