Author Topic: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008  (Read 152391 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:41 AM »
I will do my best to get to it soon. I seem to have to be in the mood for the classics to be able to get into them... but I will do my best to push it to the top of my unseen pile! :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »

Title: The Monster Squad
Movie Count: 73
TV Ep Count: 38
Other  Count: 2
Time Started: 4am
Plot:
You know who to call when you have ghosts, but who do you call about monsters? Whether it's a bat in your belfry or a mummy in your microwave, THE MONSTER SQUAD ain't afraid of no ghouls!
Count Dracula has until midnight to retrieve an ancient amulet that will give him final control over the delicate balance between good and evil in the world. To help him, the creepy count calls on some old friends: the weird Wolfman, grotesque Gill-Man, mildewed Mummy and freaky Frankenstein. As the ghoulish group gets closer to the amulet, it's up to THE MONSTER SQUAD, headquartered in the local tree house, to pool its questionable resources and stop the monster mayhem!

My Thoughts:
Thought it was about time for another Comedy-Horror. I first saw this one back in my teen years.... and I enjoy it now just as much as I did then. There is a lot of fun to be had with this one... it kinda reminds me a little of a movie like The Goonies. It is definitely worth the time to put into it to watch.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
NOTE TO JIMMY: Already have reviews up for this title... my opinion hasn't changed at all so no need to put this one up as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »

Title: Madhouse
Movie Count: 74
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
Masters Of macabre Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and Robert Quarry give performances to die for in this "diverting little chiller" ('Boxoffice')! When horror star Paul Toombes' fiancee is brutally killed, he loses more than his job... he loses his mind. But twelve years later, when he returns to TV -- only to discover a fresh batch of corpses -- Paul finally begins to understand that melodrama can be murder on your career!

My Thoughts:
Since Jimmy, a friend on one of the boards I posts these to, requested a review for this movie I thought it was about time for me to watch it. Being a Vincent Price movie alone is a good indicator that you will want to check the movie out at least once. This one I would say is a good movie... but not one of the best Vincent Price movies I have ever seen. I am glad I added it to my collection though. In this movie they show clips of what they say is clips from old Dr. Death movies... in reality they used clips from old Vincent Price movies, including "The Pit and the Pendulum", "Tales of Terror", "Scream and Scream Again" and "The Raven". Unfortunately for me.... there is several scenes with spiders. I hate spiders... I have arachnophobia pretty bad... so even the sight of spiders do tend to bother me at times.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2008, 04:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the review Pete  :thumbup:
How is Linda Hayden in it?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2008, 04:46:21 PM »
She was good in it... but be prepared... her time in the movie is a bit on the short side.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

Title: Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Movie Count: 75
Time Started: 11am
Plot:
When a terrified toy salesman is mysteriously attacked and brought to the hospital, babbling and clutching the year's most popular Halloween costume, an eerie pumpkin mask, doctor Daniel Challis is thrust into a terrifying Halloween nightmare. Working with the salesman's daughter, Ellie, Daniel traces the mask to the Silver Shamrock Novelties company and its founder, Conal Cochran. Ellie and Daniel uncover Cochran's shocking Halloween plan and must stop him before trick-or-treaters across the country never come home in this terrifying thriller.

My Thoughts:
It has been my experience... at least until recently.... that most people would dismiss this movie for no other reason then this one does not have Michael Myers in it. I personally always enjoyed this movie... as I always watched it as a separate movie from the rest of the series.I haven't watched this movie in several years... but it held up well for me. I still enjoyed this one quite a bit. Glad I finally added it to my collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:02 PM »

Title: Shadow Puppets
Movie Count: 76
Time Started: 3:30pm
Plot:
Jolene Blalock ('STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE') James Marsters ('BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL') and Tony Todd (CANDYMAN) star in this creepy chiller about a group of strangers who awaken in a locked asylum ward with no idea of who they are or how they got there. They are half-naked, cold and frightened. And they are not alone. Who has erased their memories? Why have they been imprisoned? And what is the supernatural force that is slaughtering them one by one? The answers wait deep in the darkness where a beast hungers to feed, escape is virtually impossible, and the shadows of sanity may hide the most shocking revelations of all.

My Thoughts:
I admit that going into this movie my expectations was a bit on the high side... what with having 3 of my favorites as stars of the movie... and with a storyline that sounded like a lot of fun to me. I was actually afraid my expectations was a bit too high. But as it ends up I was not disappointed in the least. I actually enjoyed every minute of this movie! This movie reminds me of all the horror/survival video games I used to love to play. Jolene Blalock played a very strong character in this movie... and there is nothing I enjoy more in a horror movie then a strong female character. I have always hated the women in horror movies that does nothing but scream and running scared... without even thinking of what they are doing or where they are going. Along with Jolene Blalock.... James Marsters and Tony Todd played their roles perfectly. I am not sure if this movie is a direct to video release or what it is... but it is definitely not one for any horror fan to miss. I have to recommend checking this movie out!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »

Title: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Movie Count: 77
Time Started: 8am
Plot:
This is the bizarre and tragically gruesome account of what happened to five young friends one summer afternoon in rural Texas. After hearing reports of grave robbing, the group sets out to check on a family grave. Soon after, one-by-one they wander into the murderous clutches of Leatherface (Gunnar Hansen).

'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' is a frightening classic that possesses an undying power to terrorize audiences again and again. It's ability to truly horrify is so strong that when the movie first opened, some people actually walked out in a state of shock.

My Thoughts:
Wow... what to say about this movie. I can pretty much sum it up in one word... Awesome! This one has great atmosphere. It is done very well... real edge of your seat watching here! If there is any one thing I could change about this movie... it would be the non-stop screaming the one girl does at the end of the movie. I do understand why it is there and all... but it just gets aggravating to hear like that after a while. That one scene has definitely cut down on my repeat viewing.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

Title: Return of the Living Dead
Movie Count: 78
Time Started: 12:30pm
Plot:
On his first day on the job at an army surplus store, poor Freddy unwittingly releases nerve gas from a secret U.S. military canister, unleashing an unbelievable terror. The gas re-animates an army of corpses, who arise from their graves with a ravenous hunger...for human brains! And luckily for those carnivorous cadavers, there is a group of partying teens nearby, just waiting to be eaten!

My Thoughts:
This is one I enjoy... a good combination of horror and comedy. I really liked Linnea Quigley's character in this one. And thought it was a nice touch that they made it so her worse fear is realized in this movie. I just find this to be a fun movie all around.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »
Wow... what to say about this movie. I can pretty much sum it up in one word... Awesome! This one has great atmosphere. It is done very well... real edge of your seat watching here! If there is any one thing I could change about this movie... it would be the non-stop screaming the one girl does at the end of the movie. I do understand why it is there and all... but it just gets aggravating to hear like that after a while. That one scene has definitely cut down on my repeat viewing.

Did you read my review? That fits in with what I was saying about how simple the characters are, but therefore more real. I know you don't like weak women, but surely you could appreciate that she became tough through hysteria? She got so terrified, she threw herself through a window to escape! That doesn't normally happen and I find it more believable than either ditzy scream queens or women that suddenly find depths of fighting skill. That final shot of her laughing, covered in blood... wow. That reinforced it. Normal people can't go through that and simply walk away. She is now a mental case.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »
Oh I definitely agree with what you are saying. very well done indeed! I just wish they went a bit easier with the screaming at the end is all. Not that it didn't fit or work for the movie... just a little much (for me) to be able to watch it too often!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »

Title: Salem's Lot (2004)
Movie Count: 79
Time Started: 4:45am
Plot:
Welcome to Jerusalem's Lot - Salem's Lot, as locals call it. Population: 1319. And growing eerier by the moment. Because an ominous outsider has moved into the sleepy New England town's foreboding Marsten House and brought with him an unspeakable horror.

This powerful new adaptation of Stephen King's terrifying bestseller stars Rob Lowe as a writer who returns to his hometown to confront his haunted past... and who soon leads the fight against a heart-stopping force of evil. Andre Braugher, Donald Sutherland, Samantha Mathis, Rutger Hauer and James Cromwell co-star, and help supply proof that when it comes to thrills, chills and unearthly dread you can't keep the undead down. Walk the streets of Salem's Lot... if you dare.

My Thoughts:
I watched the original earlier on in this marathon. Now I felt it was the time for the remake. When I first heard they were doing this remake I was more then concerned. But I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this one. I do prefer the original one... which is why I watched that one already this month. But I do think they did a good job with this remake. I really enjoyed Donald Sutherland's work on this miniseries... he really seemed to nail his role!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »

Title: R.L. Stein's Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It
Movie Count: 80
Time Started: 8:15am
Plot:
For 13-year-old goth girl Cassie, fitting into a new school and neighborhood isn't easy, but she entertains herself by playing pranks on the "popular" kids and her little brother, Max. As Halloween approaches, Cassie's search for scares leads her to a mysterious Halloween store and an unusual book called The Evil Thing. When Max begs her to read the book to him, Cassie finally gives in, ignoring the warning "Do Not Read Aloud." But it's when they get to the last page of the book and its clear warning about the Evil Thing - "Don't Think About It" - that the spooky adventure really begins.

My Thoughts:
This weekend my 12yr old (13 in a week and a half!) daughter, Brittany, wanted to join me for some horror movies. So we decided to start off with one from her collection. This is a cute Halloween movie that is fun for the whole family. Not something to watch if you are looking for something actually scary... but a good way to spend Halloween night with your kids. I know that Britt and I will be watching it every year now. I also liked the fact that Tobin Bell is in it... I really liked him in the Saw movies. I must say.. I did get a kick out of the young boy (Cassie's brother).. he was such a scaredy-cat... I think the boy was even afraid of his own shadow.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE TO JIMMY: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »

Title: I Know What You Did Last Summer
Movie Count: 81
Time Started: 10:15am
Plot:
After an accident on a winding road, four teens make the fatal mistake of dumping their victim's body into the sea. But exactly one year later, the dead man returns from his watery grave, and he's looking for more than an apology. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER is a "pure fright machine (that) scares the hell out of you!" - Norman Wilner, 'Toronto Star'

My Thoughts:
This one is not what I would call a favorite... but I do enjoy it now and again. Even though this is little more then an entertaining teen slasher... I do enjoy seeing the familiar faces. Just to name a few we have one of my all-time favorites Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer), Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) and Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory).

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »
I own it and to be honest the only reason to watch it is to look Jennifer Love Hewitt. It's the same thing with the sequel : the JLH sunbed scene is the only interesting one in this film that make no sense.

But are you masochist enough to get this one : I'll always know what you did last summer  :laugh: