Author Topic: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008  (Read 152395 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »

Title: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Movie Count: 59
TV Ep Count: 29
Other  Count: 2
Time Started: 2:15pm
Plot:
This Abbott and Costello horror-comedy flick features the bumbling buddies as railroad baggage clerks who receive a strange shipment -- the last remains of Dracula and Frankenstein's monster. Trouble is they're still alive! When the deadly duo escape to a remote island, Abbott and Costello follow their trail and find not only the two ghouls, but also a mad scientist who wants to switch Costello's brain with that of Frankenstein's monster.

My Thoughts:
This movie I borrowed from my brother's collection because I felt like a little comedy-horror... but something I haven't seen in a long time. This movie is a lot of fun.... I enjoyed every minute of it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:21 AM »
I've just bought that in a double-bill with Meet The Mummy (which is supposed to be quite bad). I just fancied seeing the Frankenstein one and your review has reassured that decision! Ta. ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2008, 02:17:49 AM »
I've just bought that in a double-bill ...
For a couple of seconds since your answer was the only one showing on my screen, I was thinking that you were talking of this one :

Can you imagine my reaction since this is certainly not your style of movie  :laugh:

This is my thousandths message  :celebrate:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 02:20:24 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2008, 02:33:58 AM »
A double-bill of "Jigsaw" and "Meet the Mummy"... :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
 :laugh:

My brother also has Abbott and Costello Meets the Invisible Man... I was thinking about watching it later... I never seen that one before.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »

Title: Burnt Offerings
Movie Count: 60
Time Started: 4:45am
Plot:
Marian and Ben find it hard to believe that for only $900 they've rented a sprawling country mansion for the entire summer. But as they settle into their isolated estate with their son and Ben's aunt, they find themselves surrounded by a living presence – an evil, hypnotic, occult force – that feeds on torture, fear...and murder.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I never seen until today. But I have heard some good things about it. And I have found myself becoming a fan of Karen Black so was fun to see her in another movie. Even though I found this movie to start a little slow... I found myself quickly getting into it. It has a good... but subtle atmosphere that works very well for this movie. This is definitely one I am glad I added to my collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

Title: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Movie Count: 61
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
Dead bodies are returning to life and eating human flesh! A group of survivors seeks refuge in a farmhouse, hoping to protect themselves from the hordes of advancing zombies. Trapped and alone, they fight for their lives...hoping this horrible nightmare will come to an end. Who will survive the Night of the Living Dead?

My Thoughts:
A true horror classic. One that I enjoy very much. But... and I may get flamed for this... but I for one prefer the remake to the original. Not because this one is a bad movie... I really do enjoy it a lot... but I just can not stand Barbara's character in this version! What a scared whining.... good for nothing character. I am so glad they fixed this only problem with the original... and made her a strong woman willing to fight for her life in the remake. I know this is a difference of when the films were made... but I always liked a strong female character in movies.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE TO JIMMY: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list again.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
I will not flame you Pete, even if I don't agree...

The way that Barbara is portrayed is the way that the woman were portrayed in the movies of that time : helpless, sexy and not very bright without a man to save the day. There is some exception to this rule but very few. The remake is missing something for me : it is not gory enough because it was made at a time where the american rating board was too difficult to satisfy and everything interesting had to be removed to got an R certificate.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »

Title: Mirror Mirror
Movie Count: 62
Other  Count: 2
Time Started: 9:45am
Plot:
A shy teenager ('Rainbow Harvest') moves to a new town and quickly becomes the most unpopular girl in high school. But when she discovers a mysterious mirror, her tormentors begin to meet with a horrifying series of 'accidents'. 'Karen Black', 'Charlie Spradling', 'William Sanderson' and 'Ricky Paull Goldin' co-star in this surprising hit chiller that started it all.

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one because I felt like another movie with Karen Black. It is the first of 4 movies in the "Mirror Mirror" franchise. I was lucky enough to find the entire collection in a boxset (still sealed) for only $5 on Amazon Market Place a while back. The only one in this set I ever seen before is the first one. I feel that this one is a pretty good movie... definitely not the best I ever seen... but not a waste of time to watch either. Unfortunately this DVD has no extras what so every. Matter of fact... when you pop in the DVD it goes straight to the movie. It doesn't even bother bringing you to the menu first. This is more of an observation then a complaint... after all... I can't complain considering I only spent $1.25 per movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »

The way that Barbara is portrayed is the way that the woman were portrayed in the movies of that time : helpless, sexy and not very bright without a man to save the day. There is some exception to this rule but very few. The remake is missing something for me : it is not gory enough because it was made at a time where the american rating board was too difficult to satisfy and everything interesting had to be removed to got an R certificate.

Yeah... I knew the reason why it was done... it is just something that has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. But that is ok... it is still an awesome movie!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »

Yeah... I knew the reason why it was done... it is just something that has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. But that is ok... it is still an awesome movie!  :thumbup:

:hysterical:

I thought I was having a case of Deja Vu, but no, we have this conversation everytime you watch it!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »
 :laugh: well I recycled the review... so the same discussion came up again.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »

Title: Mirror Mirror 2: Raven's Dance
Movie Count: 63
Time Started: 12pm
Plot:
The legacy of evil continues as the mirror unleashes its hellish power in a deadly church orphanage. Can Tracy Wells, Mark Ruffalo, Sally Kellerman, Veronica Cartwright and Roddy McDowell all survive this shocker of a sequel?

My Thoughts:
I figured I would go ahead and watch the second one in this set. This one I have never seen before. It isn't as good as the first one. I think the best I could say on this one is it is an average horror movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »

Title: Friday the 13th: The Series : Season 1 - The Great Montarro
TV Ep Count: 30
Time Started: 3pm
Plot:
Magic makes mischief when the cousins and Jack try to uncover who is using some cursed "magic boxes" to make one person invincible while another suffers all the harm.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I never seen... it is a good but not great episode. It was fun to see some magic tricks in this episode. I always enjoyed magic shows.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »

Title: Charmed: Season 3 - All Halliwell's Eve
TV Ep Count: 31
Time Started: 4pm
Plot:
The Helliwell sisters travel back to the 1600s to protect a coven in danger of extinction and save their own future.

My Thoughts:
Had to watch a Halloween episode of one of my all-time favorite TV Shows! This is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.  The Charmed Ones travel back in time and learn the real meaning of Halloween. Phoebe even embraces it all and flies around on a broomstick.  This episode is just lots of fun.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete