Author Topic: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008  (Read 152411 times)

Najemikon

Re: My Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2008
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
OK... that one makes me Perfectly? there is not such thing as perfection! there is always room for improvement whether we see it or not!  :tease: :laugh:

Tell that to the Italians! Both of Eric's favourite films are almost neo-realist when it comes to setting.

Next you'll be saying that Sorority isn't an accurate realistic portrayal of a sorority.  :training:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »
Next you'll be saying that Sorority isn't an accurate realistic portrayal of a sorority.  :training:
It's an accurate portrait. They choose the member base on their appearances, at least this is what I've understand of the scene where the girls in the dormitory are all bring in the cave by a bunch of gas mask wearer girls.

The problem is that none of those sorority sisters are really well place to judge the others  :laugh:

Jon are you training because you want to watch it?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
OK... that one makes me Perfectly? there is not such thing as perfection! there is always room for improvement whether we see it or not!  :tease: :laugh:

Tell that to the Italians! Both of Eric's favourite films are almost neo-realist when it comes to setting.
But I am Italian... so I am one of them! (Italian American that is)  :P

Wouldn't know... never been lucky enough to peek in a window... errrr... be in a sorority house!  :P
Pete

Touti

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »

And whare are my two favorite films ?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Wouldn't know... never been lucky enough to peek in a window... errrr... be in a sorority house!  :P
You have never watch "Private School" or "Revenge of the Nerds"? That seams to be a good representation of the activity in those girls sorority  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »

Well Ok, I don't know if they are you favourites, but I know if it's British it has be way up in your top 5! 8)

Touti

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »

Well Ok, I don't know if they are you favourites, but I know if it's British it has be way up in your top 5! 8)

I'll concede that Michael Caine is one of my favorite actors and that "some" British stuff is high in my list but top 5 ?     Naaaaaaaaaah !

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »

Title: The Nurse
Movie Count: 47
TV Ep Count: 8
Time Started: 3:30pm
Plot:
When her father kills himself and his family after being named in an embezzlement scandal, nurse Laura Harriman (Lisa Zane, Monkeybone) vows revenge on the man responsible. She soon gets her chance when his accuser (Michael Fairman, Dead Silence) suffers a stroke that leaves him paralyzed and mute - the perfect victim. After becoming his private nurse, the "angel of death" sets out on a psychotic killing spree that will complete her descent into madness and destroy an innocent family... one by one.

My Thoughts:
OK... this is different. According to the cover this movie is Rated R. But watching this movie... everything about it shouts TV Movie of the Week. Not saying that is a bad thing... I thought the story was pretty good. But the feel of the movie... the production value and the effects all screamed TV Movie. It even had the almost required TV Series actress in it. In this case Nancy Dussault (Muriel Rush on Too Close for Comfort)... who even though was starting to show her age looked much the same in this 1997 movie. If there wasn't for one case of cursing and one slit throat I would have been completely convinced it was a TV movie. But as I said... the story was pretty good. So I am not disappointed I got it. Is one I can enjoy again.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:57 AM »

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - The Magnificent Seven
TV Ep Count: 9
Time Started: 5pm
Plot:
Lust. Gluttony. Greed. Sloth. Wrath. Envy. Pride. When the Devil's Gate opened, hundreds of demons escaped - including the seven deadly sins, who've now taken human form.

My Thoughts:
This is the first episode of the third season. It is a really good start to the season. The thought of being so lazy that getting up off the couch long enough to get a drink of water or a bite to eat is unthinkable... dying of dehydration and starvation first. And I thought I was lazy!
:P

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - The Kids are Alright
TV Ep Count: 10
Time Started: 5:45pm
Plot:
Dean drops in on an old girlfriend he hasn't seen in nine years. Weird: She has an eight year old who reminds Dean of Dean. Weirder: The neighborhood kids are suddenly different. Frighteningly different.

My Thoughts:
The kids in this episode reminds me a lot of the ones in the movie Village of the Damned. To this day I still think Ben is Dean's son. I don't remember if they revisited this later in the season or not. But if they didn't hopefully they will in an upcoming episode. Another really good episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Bad Day at Black Rock
TV Ep Count: 11
Time Started: 6:30pm
Plot:
It's Sam's lucky day when he touches a rabbit foot. Everything from scratching lottery tickets to fighting bad guys goes right. Then Sam looses the foot, and everything goes wrong. Maybe dead wrong.

My Thoughts:
This is the last episode on the first disc of this set.This one is alright... but is not as good as the previous two episodes.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »

Title: Bay Cove
Movie Count: 48
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
When Linda and Jerry LeBon move to the quiet and peaceful community of Bay Cove, they welcome the town's centuries old charm, virtually untouched by the conventions of modern life.
But something is different about the small village; something dark is lurking in the shadows. As Linda begins to explore, she discovers that all the townspeople are members of a deadly witch's coven - and as they await the reincarnation of their leader at the next full moon, they are searching for their next human sacrifice...

My Thoughts:
This is a TV Movie that originally aired in 1987. One that I really enjoyed. I have watched this movie 5 times since I got the DVD 2 years ago. As with most TV Movies this has it's share of familiar faces from TV Series. In this one we have Pamela Sue Martin (Nancy Drew ['70s]), Barbara Billingsley (Leave it to Beaver), Woody Harrelson (Cheers) and James B. Sikking (Doogie Howser, M.D.).

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »

Title: The Descent
Movie Count: 49
Time Started: 9:45am
Plot:
On an annual extreme outdoor adventure, six women meet in a remote part of the Appalachians to explore a cave hidden deep in the woods. Far below the surface of the earth, disaster strikes when a rock fall blocks their exit and there's no way out. The women push on, praying for another exit, but there is something else lurking under the earth. The friends are now prey, forced to unleash their most primal instincts in an all-out war against an unspeakable horror - one that attacks without warning, again and again and again.

My Thoughts:
I bought this one blind after it was recommended to me when I stated I liked "The Cave". But I was warned to get the Original Unrated Cut... which I did. I am glad I took a chance on this one... as I enjoyed it very much... it was even better then "The Cave". I thought the creatures in this one was done very well. This is definitely a movie I can see myself watching again. The only drawback I had... and this has nothing to do with the movie itself... is that it wouldn't play in my DVD Player. I had to watch it on my computer. On a much smaller screen and no surround sound system... which really sucks.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:03 PM »

Title: Chopping Mall
Movie Count: 50
Time Started: 12:15pm
Plot:
High tech robots equipped with state-of-the-art security devices have been recruited as the new mechanical "night watchmen" for the Park Plaza Mall. When a jolting bolt of lightning short circuits the main computer control, the robots turn into "killbots"...on the loose after unsuspecting shoppers. Four couples are trying to make it after-hours in a mattress store. They make it all right...in the morgue!

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I bought because I thought I remembered seeing it years ago... and enjoying it. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I remembered it being. It is a decent enough movie for what it is.... but when I saw this the last time (when I was a teen) I thought it was better. Unfortunately it just did not hold up well for me. But one thing I did enjoy is seeing another movie with Kelli Maroney in it. As I really enjoyed her in "Night of the Comet".

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2008, 02:07:36 AM »

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Sin City
TV Ep Count: 12
Time Started: 3pm
Plot:
Vegas is for wimps. America's hottest sin city is Elizabethville, Ohio - a nowhere factory town that sunk in booze, gambling, sex and violence, thanks to some newly arrived hellspawn.

My Thoughts:
Starting the second disc today... This is a good episode... but not one of my favorites. Though I did enjoy the scenes of Dean and the demon trapped in the basement.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Bedtime Stories
TV Ep Count: 13
Time Started: 4:30pm
Plot:
Once upon a time: It's a couple of grim brothers (Sam and Dean) vs. the Brothers Grimm when a rash of gruesome murders patterned on fairy tales terrifies a small town.

My Thoughts:
This episode is enjoyable... but silly at parts. The fairy tale scene where not done very seriously... but how could they be? The rest of the scenes were very good though. I especially liked the scene where Sam confronts the demon at the crossroads at the very end of the episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Red Sky at Morning
TV Ep Count: 14
Time Started: 6:30pm
Plot:
A watery death - without the water. Bela joins the boys in solving a mystery of a ghost ship that appears every 37 years, leaving dry-land drownings in it's wake.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... somewhat better then the previous one. I thought they did a good job on the ghost ship. And I enjoyed the antics between Bella and the brothers in this one.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Fresh Blood
TV Ep Count: 15
Time Started: 7:15pm
Plot:
Gordon Walker escapes from prison, intent on killing Sam. A run-in with a vampire leaves Gordon one of the undead - and an even more formidable foe.

My Thoughts:
A vampire episode... what more could I possibly ask? This is a very good episode... one of my favorites. Not only is there a lot of vampire fun in it, but we also have the conclusion to the Gordon/Sam storyline.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »

Title: The Changeling
Movie Count: 51
TV Ep Count: 15
Time Started: 8:30am
Plot:
George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere star in a thriller that challenges the viewer to solve its mystery. It's a haunted-house adventure complete with seances, nocturnal grave-diggings, ghostly spirits, and an ancient puzzle jealously guarded by a devious man (Academy Award™ winner Melvyn Douglas). Scott is splendid as the man who becomes an unwilling instrument of a ghost's revenge and learns to trust no one. Eerily entwining a detective story with the mystery of the supernatural, 'The Changeling' delivers solid entertainment and a frightening good time.

My Thoughts:
This is another I bought blind for this marathon. I bought it because I have had several friends rave about this movie for quite a while... and finally decided to take a chance on it. Unfortunately I think my expectations was a bit too high on this one. Even thought this is a good haunted house movie... I found it to be only slightly above average. First of all it is a bit slow for my taste... plus it seems that even though they did try hard with the atmosphere of the movie... for me at least... they fell a bit short. I did however enjoy the scenes with the wheelchair in the attic.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »

Title: Supernatural: A Very Supernatural Christmas
TV Ep Count: 16
Time Started: 12pm
Plot:
What comes down the chimney? Santa Claus. What goes up the chimney? Screaming, clawing victims of the Anti Claus, a pagant god with an unjolly thirst for blood. Scary Christmas, Sam and Dean.

My Thoughts:
It had to happen sooner or later. A Supernatural Christmas special episode. Including a "Special Presentation" notice before the episode. I remember when I watched this episode this past Christmas that it made me wonder if it would be included in the season 3 boxset. Thankfully it was... and placed in order of appearance just like any other episode. It is an enjoyable holiday episode... I will be sure to watch it when I do my Christmas time marathon as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Malleus Maleficarum
TV Ep Count: 17
Time Started: 12:45pm
Plot:
A woman's book club is really a cover for a murderous coven...and Ruby has suspiciously accurate knowledge about how witches kill.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. Though not quite as good as the episode before it. But definitely has some good stuff in it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Title: Supernatural: Season 3 - Dream a Little Dream of Me
TV Ep Count: 18
Time Started: 1:30pm
Plot:
With the aid of a plant called African dream root, Sam and Dean dreamwalk into Bobby's mind, hoping to discover who...or what...put their friend into a coma.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but dealing with a dream it is a little on the weird side. Of course that is to be expected.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Pete