Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 8470 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Unwatched DVDs
I thought was about time for another movie marathon... not sure what I was wanting to watch I decided to go with some of the movies I never seen before. Any and all genres except horror as I am still abstaining from horror till Wednesday when I get to start my long anticipated month long Horror/Halloween marathon. But that is ok... I still have plenty I need to go through... so I decided to watch...

Don Juan DeMarco
Two time Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Godfather) Academy Award® winner Faye Dunaway (The Thomas Crown Affair, The Towering Inferno) and Johnny Depp (Blow, Chocolat, Sleepy Hollow) deliver tour de force performances in this critically acclaimed romantic comedy.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that a good friend of mine gave me almost a year ago (Halloween) that I am just finally getting the chance to check out. Being a Johnny Depp fan I am going into this one with some expectations... but with the subject matter I was trying to keep them pretty low as it is not my usual type of movie. What I found after watching this one is that it is not a bad movie... but at the same time no better then what I would consider average. It is not a movie I see myself watching often... but I do see myself watching again... probably at some point when I decide to do a Johnny Depp marathon.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:59:50 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »

Suddenly
The tranquility of a small town is marred only by sheriff Tod Shaw's unsuccessful courtship of widow Ellen Benson, a pacifist who can't abide guns and those who use them. But violence descends on Ellen's household willy-nilly when the U.S. President passes through town... and slightly psycho hired assassin John Baron finds the Benson home ideal for an ambush.

My Thoughts:
Next up I decided to go with a classic movie starring Frank Sinatra This is just a cheap public domain movie that I got free in the Classic Movie Boxset I got for subscribing to Total Movie Magazine several years ago. So I obviously wasn't expecting much of anything quality wise... and it is a good thing I didn't because the quality of the video definitely left some to be desired. As for the movie itself... I really enjoyed this movie. It was filled with suspense... and had a nice amount of action to go with it. All the characters was likable and I was completely hooked on this story... so much so that the time flew by in what felt like only a few minutes.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:57:12 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »

The Sweetest Thing
Three of Hollywood's hottest stars will show you a good time in this uninhibited comic gem.

Christina Walters (Cameron Diaz) and her party-hopping pals Courtney (Christina Applegate) and Jane (Selma Blair) are three sexy singles who love the night life. At the city's most exclusive dance club, Christina unexpectedly meets Peter (Thomas Jane), her perfect match. Discovering the next morning that he's left town, she and Courtney set out on a wild road trip to find him. But the road to Mr. Right is paved with seductive surprises and hilarious misadventures.

'THE SWEETEST THING' puts a totally fresh twist on the search for true love.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I bought several years ago... was one of the ones I got super-cheap when the video store I used to manage went out of business. To be honest I went into this one not expecting much at all from this movie... but I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was better then I thought it would be. It is not like it was the best movie I ever saw... but I did have a lot of laughs watching it. And all 3 of the ladies looked fantastic in this movie... especially Cameron Diaz.  But I will also say that there was a couple pretty stupid scenes in this movie... one would be a scene that takes place in a dress shop when they are doing a montage of all the outfits they are looking at... all of which looked pretty ridiculous. Another was the scene where they were singing in the apartment to help... uhhh... separate one of the girls and her boyfriend. Over-all I would say it is a fun watch. Though I would warn that some (ok... most) of the comedy in this movie is a bit on the immature side.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:00:40 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »

Road to Perdition
Two-time Academy Award® winner Tom Hanks in "one of his best performances" (Kenneth Turan, 'Los Angeles Times') stars as Michael Sullivan, a father fighting to keep his only son from traveling the 'Road to Perdition'. Directed by Oscar® winner Sam Mendes ('American Beauty'), this towering motion picture achievement has been acclaimed by audiences and critics alike as one of the year's most extraordinary films.

Also starring Academy Award® winner Paul Newman and Oscar® nominee Jude Law, 'Road to Perdition' weaves a mesmerizing tale of a father and son bound together by tragedy and betrayal. On an unforgettable journey of honor, vengeance and redemption, they confront overwhelming odds - and forge and indestructible bond. Hailed for the powerhouse performances of its stars and the stunning impact of its story, 'Road to Perdition' is an electrifying experience that will stay with you for a lifetime.

My Thoughts:
What with the sad passing of Paul Newman this weekend I thought I would watch the one movie I have with him that I never seen before. This is another movie I bought super-cheap when our video store went out of business several years ago. This is not the type of movie I normally watch... but I decided to get it anyway since it was so cheap and it has a few big names in it so I just wanted to be able to check it out. This DVD did hit one one of my pet peeves. Before watching a movie I always (when able) watch the trailer first... to kinda get me in the mood for the movie. Especially the first time I watch a movie. But this is one of those movies that does not include the trailer for some reason. I personally would like to see the trailer for the movie on the disc to be on every release. I would think that would be an easy... ready made bonus to add. But nope... it is not on this release.

As for the movie itself... I went into this one with low expectations as I said above... not really my type of movie. But I tell you... I enjoyed this movie. It is still not my normal type of movie... and is not something I would watch often... but I do see myself watching it again. I found the story to be very interesting... but it is a bit on the slow slide for my taste. The movie gets points for style and for talent of the actors involved.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:01:58 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »

Road to Perdition

Amazing  movie with a stunning cinematography, a beautiful score and excellent performances. Overall, I liked it even more than American Beauty, Mendes' first movie, where he also collaborated with cinematographer Conrad L. Hall and composer Thomas Newman. The biggest surprise for me was Tom Hanks, of whom I hadn't a very favorable opinion before.

As for the DVD: While I agree that a trailer should be a mandatory extra on every release, this DVD actually comes with a small but interesting selection of bonus features, including a very good AC by director Sam Mendes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:36:01 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:26:56 PM »
Before watching a movie I always (when able) watch the trailer first... to kinda get me in the mood for the movie. Especially the first time I watch a movie. But this is one of those movies that does not include the trailer for some reason. I personally would like to see the trailer for the movie on the disc to be on every release. I would think that would be an easy... ready made bonus to add. But nope... it is not on this release.
For me it's exactly the oposite. I never watch the trailer before the movie, most of the time they give too much information about the movie. Not that I don't like to see a trailer compilation, but normally this is for movies that are not release. I agree that the film trailer should be present on every dvd extra, but sometimes the trailer didn't exist anymore and this is just a question of luck to find them. Evidently I talk about the genre of movie that I watch and not the Hollywood production, since they have no reason to loose a trailer that is store with the movie in a vault.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
Oh yeah... I definitely agree there is other extras on the disc that look to be worth checking out... and I am hoping to check them all out eventually. I am just concentrating on the movies at this time though.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »
Before watching a movie I always (when able) watch the trailer first... to kinda get me in the mood for the movie. Especially the first time I watch a movie. But this is one of those movies that does not include the trailer for some reason. I personally would like to see the trailer for the movie on the disc to be on every release. I would think that would be an easy... ready made bonus to add. But nope... it is not on this release.
For me it's exactly the oposite. I never watch the trailer before the movie, most of the time they give too much information about the movie. Not that I don't like to see a trailer compilation, but normally this is for movies that are not release. I agree that the film trailer should be present on every dvd extra, but sometimes the trailer didn't exist anymore and this is just a question of luck to find them. Evidently I talk about the genre of movie that I watch and not the Hollywood production, since they have no reason to loose a trailer that is store with the movie in a vault.

Yeah... I know what you are saying... some trailers do give out more information then I would like. but what can I say... it is a habit I got into a long time ago... and is one I just haven't been able to shake... I even do this with movies that I have seen many, many, many times. It just seems to be something to get me going and in the mood for the movie itself.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »

Lonesome Dove
Hailed as a masterpiece by critics and audiences alike, 'Lonesome Dove' brings to life all the magnificent drama and romance of the West. Winner of seven Emmy Awards, and one of the highest rated miniseries in television history, this exciting re-creation of Larry McMurtry's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel captured the American pioneer spirit with its sweeping story and inspired performances.

Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones and Anjelica Huston star in the tale of two former Texas Rangers who leave the South Texas town of Lonesome Dove on an epic 2500-mile cattle drive to the lush ranch country of Montana.

Already a collectible classic, 'Lonesome Dove' is an authentic piece of the American West and a saga that will be treasured for generations.

My Thoughts:
This is actually a TV Miniseries... but I normally count them in with my movies since when you sit straight through them it is more like watching a long movie then it is a series. This is a movie that a good friend of mine just recently gave me when he upgraded to a newer version. Now I am the first to admit that Westerns is not my typical genre of choice... and this one being 6 hours does worry me a bit. But there is a lot of Westerns out there that I enjoy... and this is supposed to be a very good one... so I went into it looking forward to checking it out... but not having my hopes up.

This is definitely a good movie... a very good movie. I enjoyed every minute of it. It took me most the day to get through it what with it being so long and having to do my usual household chores... but it was worth the entire 6 hours that it lasted. The characters are interesting... I easily got into the story... and there is several great actors that do a wonderful job. I will definitely be seeing about getting the other 2 of the series. I just hope they are as good as this one is.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:02:40 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:45 AM »
Woo-hoo!  Pete reviewed a western!  I remember watching this when it first aired...I loved it then and even went on to read the original Pulitzer-prize winning novel it was based on.  There are actually 5 Lonesome Dove mini-series now...though one of them doesn't count since author Larry McMurtry never had anything to do with that one.  That was Return to Lonesome Dove.  The official mini-series, in order of when the events took place, would be...

Dead Man's Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

I recently got Comanche Moon so I may start watching them all in order soon.  Once I'm done, I'll likely even go back and watch Return To Lonesome Dove which I also have.  I never collected the Lonesome Dove weekly series, though.