Author Topic: Sunday Mini-Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 6093 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Sunday Mini-Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
Sunday Mini-Marathon
Unwatched DVDs
The past couple days has really been hectic for me... so I didn't get to watch much of anything. But today I am free so thought I would at least watch a few movies. Whatever I can fit in anyway. Since I will only be able to get a few in... thought I should at least try to get some of my unwatched shelf cleared off to make room for the new DVDs coming. So today I watched...

Stephen King's Thinner
Based on the best-seller, 'Stephen King's Thinner' stars Robert John Burke ('RoboCop 3', 'Tombstone') and Joe Mantegna ('Bugsy', 'The Godfather III') in a story of supernatural terror and a countdown to the ultimate payback. A 109-year-old gypsy, hell-bent on revenge, exacts a curse so shocking it compels its victim to gorge himself in an effort to avoid shrinking away to nothingness. With time running out and a torture so bizarre and powerful, even death seems a more likely option.

My Thoughts:
As big of a Stephen King fan I am... I don't know why it took me so long to get this movie... but I have only had it for a week or so as of now. Even though this isn't the best of his movies I have seen... I still enjoyed it. It was definitely worth the few bucks I paid for it. That is one plus for waiting so long... I got it very cheap. There was only a couple extras on this release. A featurette and a commentary track... neither of which I checked out yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Mini-Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition
"My name is Jim, but most people call me...Jim." And while 'Blazing Saddles' is deliriously funny, most people call it deliriously funnier, thanks to this special, extras-packed 30th-Anniversary Edition.

Filmmaker, star and paddle-ball wiz Mel Brooks goes way out West and way out of his mind with a spiffy spoof set in an 1874 Old West where 1974 Hollywood is one soundstage away – and where nonstop fun blasts prejudices to the high comedy heavens. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn and more join for horseplay and horselaughs, making 'Blazing Saddles' the #6 choice among the American Film Institute's Top-100 Comedies. Give these out to the boys in lieu of pay. And enjoy.

My Thoughts:
Mel Brooks is the king when it comes to making spoofs... and this movie is no exception. I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure some of it my go a little to far on the dumb side... but I think that is just part of the fun. This release has a nice selection of extras... but the only one I checked out... because I was so curios... was the TV Pilot for Black Bart.... which looked to be just as funny as the movie.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Oscar® nominee Kate Hudson ('Almost Famous') and Matthew McConaughey ('A Time to Kill') give the battle of the sexes an outrageously unexpected twist in the runaway comedy hit the 'Daily News' applauds as "Hilarious!"

As the "How to..." columnist for trendy Composure Magazine, Andie Anderson (Hudson) agrees to write a first-hand account about what it takes to drive a man out of your life...in exactly 10 days. At the same time, eligible ad agency bachelor Benjamin Barry (McConaughey) accepts a high-stakes bet that he can lure any woman into falling head-over-heels in love with him...also in 10 days. The resulting romantic head-on collision ignites a series of deliriously comic deceptions that prove when it comes to true love...your heart cannot tell a lie. From the director of 'Miss Congeniality', it's the year's most wildly entertaining romantic romp, in the comedy smash David Sheehan of CBS-TV hails as "The ultimate chick-flick for guys!"

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones that a very good friend gave me not so long ago. To be completely honest this movie never sounded like a movie I thought I could get into... and went into it with some rather low expectations. To my surprise... I really enjoyed this movie. I found myself literally laughing out loud on a couple different parts... and really found myself getting hooked on the storyline. This is definitely one I can see myself watching again.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones that a very good friend gave me not so long ago. To be completely honest this movie never sounded like a movie I thought I could get into... and went into it with some rather low expectations. To my surprise... I really enjoyed this movie. I found myself literally laughing out loud on a couple different parts... and really found myself getting hooked on the storyline. This is definitely one I can see myself watching again.

I also liked it, except for the part where they both sang. Neither of them had really a right to be angry about the other but they behaved as if they were completely innocent.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »
oh... I agree... neither one had the right to be angry.... but I thought it worked... simply because the fact that you don't have the right to feel a certain way don't mean you won't feel that way. Especially when it comes to love.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
btw: You inspired me to end the evening with that flick. :)

Tony from that movie looks remarkably like Brodie from the Smith movies even if they are different actors.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
 :laugh: Enjoy!  :)
Pete