Author Topic: Caroline in the City Marathon  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Caroline in the City Marathon
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
Caroline in the City: Season 1

Until now I have refrained doing an episode-by-episode review of a TV series. It's hard for me even to write more than a few words for a season set. This will be an experiment of sort for me. Let's see, if I can write more than "I liked this episode" or "This episode was average" for each episode. But also do not expect more than 2-3 sentences per episode.

This is a series that I have only seen on German television about 10 years ago. Let's find out, if this series still holds up for me :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline in the City Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »
Even though I have heard of it... never seen a single episode.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
For me it was one of those if I catch it great but if I missed it it was no big deal type of shows. I did enjoy it though.  The initial draw was Lea Thompson but most of the cast grew on me pretty quickly.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say Tom  :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »
Pilot (1995-09-21)
Writer: Fred Barron, Marco Pennette, Dottie Dartland
Director: James Burrows
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Tom La Grua (Remo), Jason Workman (Jeff), Cathy Ladman (Ultimate Fan), John Mariano (Maitre D'), Sean Gregory Sullivan (Monroe), Christine Taylor (Debby)

Richard, a struggling and cynic artist, starts to work for Caroline, a cartoonist, as a colorist to make ends meet.
This pilot has a little of a cheap sitcom effect to it with some awkward acting. But beginning with the introduction of Richard I was reminded again, what I liked about this series. Richard's try humor when dealing with the motor-mouth Caroline.
Also Charlie as far as I remember was a character I liked. When I remember correctly, he will be constantly on roller-skates later on in the series.
The slut neighbor Annie will also be a good source of humor with the rivalry between her and Richard (if memory serves correctly).

Caroline and the Mugger (1995-09-28)
Writer: Dottie Dartland
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Charles Mavich (Man in Plaid), Raf Mauro (Mugger), Steve Anthony Espinosa (Steve), Jeffrey Garcia (Jeff), Christopher Maleki (Chris)

Lea Thompson's character: "Do you think I might gonna go crazy and wanna rent 'Howard the Duck'" :laugh:

Richard is mugged by a unarmed little man and the others make fun of him because of it.
A decent episode. The actors are obviously now more comfortable in their roles.

Caroline and the Gay Art Show (1995-10-05)
Writer: Ian Praiser
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Dan Butler (Kenneth Arabian), Tom La Grua (Remo), Neal Lerner (Allen), John Mariano (Johnny), Jack Kenny (Howard Berman)

Richard's art is displayed at a gallery for gay artists. He has to keep it a secret, that he is straight to not be pulled from the exhibit.
Dan Butler (Bulldog from Frasier) guest stars as the gallery owner. A typical "reverse gay joke" episode. But it fits with the characters. Luckily no crinch-worthy jokes here. And Charlie is now on his trademark roller skates :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:09:07 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
Caroline and the Bad Back (1995-10-12)
Writer: Bill Prady
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Jane Leeves (Daphne), David Hyde Pierce (Niles), Gerry McIntyre (Island Waiter)

Caroline hurts her back and because of painkillers she cannot finish her work on the current comic strip. Del and Richard try to finish the work for her.
As a tag-on we see Niles and Daphne from Frasier at the end, when they are reading this comic strip in the newspapers. I like those small crossover cameos :)
Otherwise an average episode. Not especially funny.

Caroline and the ATM (1995-10-19)
Writer: Mark Wilding, Jennifer Glickman
Director: Rod Daniel
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Lauren Graham (Shelly), Ileen Getz (Mrs. Banks), Jason Graae (Mr. Green), Bill Pugin (Mr. Fleming)

Richard wants to get rid of his clingy girlfriend (Lauren Graham) by telling her, he is allergic to her doc.
Caroline has trouble with the ATM machine and for proof she has to watch the security tape of the machine with the bank employees. Problem is, that she picked her nose at the ATM machine not knowing that she was being recorded.

A standard episode. Nothing special.

Caroline and the Folks (1995-11-02)
Writer: Fred Barron, Marco Pennette
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Matthew Perry (Chandler Bing), Jonathan Silverman (Jonathan Eliot), Constance Towers (Barbara), Tom La Grua (Remo), John Mariano (Johnny), Lou Felder (Don), Jeff Garvin (Scott), Elisa Heinsohn (Stephanie)

Caroline is treading meeting the parents of her boyfriend Del.

Chandler from Friends has a small cameo in this episode. As a matter of fact, Caroline also had a small cameo in a Friends episode around the same time. I think it was the episode "The One with the Baby on the Bus"

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
Caroline and the Opera (1995-11-09)
Writer: Marco Pennette, Fred Barron, Dottie Dartland, Carol Gary
Director: Tom Cherones
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Jean Stapleton (Mary Kosky), Peter Krause (Peter Welmering), Tom La Grua (Remo), Lauren Graham (Shelly)

Peter Krause (Sports Night, Six Feet Under) guest stars as a classmate from Caroline's old High School. She invites him to the opera because Del doesn't want to go. Del gets jealous and both men compete over Caroline.
A rather funny episode.

Caroline and the Balloon (1995-11-16)
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Florence Henderson (Herself), Lauren Graham (Shelly), Michael Burger ("Parade Announcer"), Maty Monfort ("Parade Announcer"), Joel Miller (Peter), Marlon Archey (Captain Markham), Brian Hargrove (Crowd Member)

Caroline has a balloon of her comic strip at the Thanksgiving parade and it gets loose.
Not a very good episode.
One thing that really bothered me:
I do not have anything against "stunt casting". I liked the cameo appearences of our beloved Friends and Frasier characters. But when they bring in a celebrity playing themselves and doing something which would never happen, I have a problem with it. Here, one of the characters is a big fan of the "Brady Family". So they convince Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady) to come visit Caroline at her apartement to cheer her up. Like that would happen!

This finishes off the first disc of the set.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »
Caroline and the Convict (1995-12-07)
Writer: Ellen Idelson, Rob Lotterstein
Director: Rod Daniel
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Tim Conlon (Stephen), David Byrd (Officer Bloch), Tom La Grua (Remo), Jimm Giannini (Bum)

A good episode. This series is at its best when doing a lot of sarcastic comments by Richard.

Caroline and the Christmas Break (1995-12-14)
Writer: Michelle Nader, Amy Cohen
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Tom La Grua (Remo), Lauren Graham (Shelly), Lorna Luft (Travel Agent)

In this episode Del and Caroline break up and first real signs are shown, that maybe there something between Richard and Caroline. This starts the love-triangle (and later quadrangle) story-arc which will be a major factor in the series as far as I remember.

Caroline and the Gift (1996-01-04)
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Tom La Grua (Remo), Keene Curtis (Mr. Davies), Fabiana Udenio (Donna), Wesley Thompson (Det. Sgt. Weld), Robert Miano (Pauly Brown), Andy Buckley (Rob Rothman)

Richard is painting a nude portrait of a mobster's girlfriend. An okay episode.

See, I am already at a point where I only say "This episode was good", "It was an okay episode" and similar stuff  :whistle:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
Caroline and the Married Man (1996-01-11)
Writer: Wil Calhoun
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Beau Gravitte (Tom Barna), Tom La Grua (Remo), Jessie Jones (Receptionist)

Average episode. Beginning of the unrequited love of Richard.

Caroline and the 28 lb. Walleye (1996-01-25)
Writer: Ian Praiser, Carol Gary
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Paul Castree (Chris Duffy), James Callahan (Mayor Paisley), Patrick T. O'Brien (Councilman Hardy), Beth Wishnie (Lindsay), Patricia Gaul (Mrs. Baerwald), Earl Holliman (Fred Duffy), Mariette Hartley (Margaret Duffy)

A good episode. Caroline gets a park in her hometown named after her, but her brother steals her thunder as usual.

Caroline and the Watch (1996-02-01)
Writer: Mark Wilding
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Rose Marie (Stella Dawson), Morey Amsterdam (Vic Stansky), Robert Cesario (Mr. Dunn), Beans Morocco (Minister)

The opening titles change with this episode. Sadly they have done away with the little animated comic strips which they did for opening each episode.
Also new is that in this episode Caroline got the new work desk. Which means that finally Richard and Caroline can work at the same time :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »
Caroline and the Bad Date (1996-02-15)
Writer: Dottie Dartland, Bill Prady
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Dan Cortese (Scott), Tom La Grua (Remo), Colleen McDermott (Barbara), Fred Stoller (Mugger)

Del and Caroline get back together and he pops the question.

Caroline and the Proposal (1996-02-22)
Writer: Fred Barron, Marco Pennette, Ian Praiser
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Sharon Lawrence (Maddie), Tom La Grua (Remo), Cathy Ladman (Woman in Elevator), Joe Ochman (Mailman)

First appearance of sarcastic elevator lady :)
I didn't even remember that Caroline and Richard were so close to getting together this early in the series. But of course circumstances and little courage put a stop to it.
Caroline accepts Del's marriage proposal instead.

This finishs off the second disc. One disc to go.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
Caroline and the Kid (1996-06-14)
Writer: Will Calhoun, Bill Masters, Jay Sherick
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Burke Moses (Marco), Sam Gifaldi (Martin), Gregory Itzin (Mr. Lepner), Lupe Ontiveros (Rosa), Perry Anzilotti (Towel Attendant)

A good episode. Richard and Caroline have to deal with a brat boy. Del gets jealous when he sees in the gym's locker room, that an ex-boyfriend of Caroline is hung well.

Caroline and the Ex-Wife (1996-03-28)
Writer: Amy Cohen, Michelle Nader
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Joely Fisher (Jill), Adam Ferrara (Pete Spadaro), Kenny Johnson (Blair), Joseph Bologna (Lou Spadaro), Candice Azzara (Angie Spadaro)

Caroline meets the second ex-wife of Del. An average episode.

Caroline and the Movie (1996-04-04)
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Robby Benson (Himself), John Landis (Himself), Jeff Altman (Howie Bloom), Steven Banks (A.D.), Kathy Griffin (DMV Clerk), Rick Pasqualone (Blade), Sandra Purpuro (Maria Louise Fanego), Wendee Cole (Howie's Date), Nina Jane Barry (2nd A.C.)

John Landis shoots a scene for a movie in the street where Caroline lives. Richard and Caroline get roles as extras in the movie.
A good episode and one of the cases I do not mind the stunt casting.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »
Caroline and the Cereal (1996-04-18)
Writer: Ian Praiser, Michelle Nader, Amy Cohen, Ian Praiser, Michelle Nader, Amy Cohen, Rob Lotterstein, Ellen Idelson
Director: Pamela Fryman
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Vicki Lewis (Merle Heller), Mesach Taylor (James), Tom La Grua (Remo), Denice Kumagai (Moderator), Roz Witt (Marian), Larry Raben (Ted), Brad Bartram (Elliot), Norman Large (Man #1), Gregg Daniel (Man #2)

A good episode. Caroline is offered the possibility that her cartoon character is put on a cereal box. But after noticing the not-so-kid-friendly shape of the cereals, she refuses the offer.

Caroline and Richard's Mom (1996-04-25)
Writer: Dottie Dartland, Charles Harper Yates
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Elizabeth Ashley (Natalie Karinsky), John Ratzenberger (Mr. Berman), Nada Desptovich (Elzbieta), Matt Battaglia (JOSEPH), Wendy Lawless (Receptionist), Jim Vallely (Jim), Warren Littlefield (Himself)

Richard's crazy mom comes to visit. John Ratzenberger (Cliff from Cheers) guest-stars. An average episode.

Caroline and the Bridesmaid (1996-05-09)
Writer: Wil Calhoun, Bill Masters
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Melora Hardin (Beth), Tia Riebling (Vicki), Christine Romeo (Linda), Tony Carlin (Greg), Pat Finn (Steve), Kenneth Alan Williams (Eddie), John Mariano (Johnny), Olivia V. White (Mrs. Simmons), Jarrett Lennon (Elliot)

Caroline is doubting, if making irresponsible Annie the maid of honor was the right choice. A good episode.

Caroline and the Wedding (1996-05-16)
Writer: Bill Masters
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Andy Lauer (Charlie), Michael McKean (Father Damian), Tom La Grua (Remo), Candice Azzara (Angie Spadaro), John Mariano (Johnny), John Apicella (Janitor)

A good episode. This is the season finale. Richard admits his feelings for Caroline in a letter, which she doesn't get. Caroline breaks off her wedding, because she realizes she has feelings for Richard.
Richard doesn't know this and has left the country at the end of the episode.

Caroline and the Condom (1996-08-05)
Writer: Marco Pennette, Fred Barron
Cast: Lea Thompson (Caroline), Eric Lutes (Del), Malcolm Gets (Richard), Amy Pietz (Annie), Ping Wu (Kwan), Sean Gregory Sullivan (Monroe), Cathy Lind Hayes (Sister Mary Louise), Marcelo Tubert (Vendor), Judy Prescott (Audrey), Tony Edwards (Cashier), Scott Fowler (Randy), Debra Casey (The Pierced Lady)

Essentially a flashback episode, but most of the flashbacks are new scenes. A good episode.

Final Thoughts:
This was it for the first season of Caroline in the City. I am not sure, if I am continuing doing short episode reviews for other series. I did run out of something (even a little) to say after a few episodes after all. Could be, that CitC (though I like the series) just isn't a series where there is much to say about. I will of course still make short reviews on episodes in marathons I am participating (like the upcoming "The Big Bang Theory" marathon).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
Could be, that CitC (though I like the series) just isn't a series where there is much to say about.

Don't be discouraged. Some series are harder than others. For example I wouldn't do a episode-by-episode review of any of the 80s series or Emergency Room. I just wouldn't know what to say about a single episode.

I also consider sitcoms as unqualified for an ep-by-ep review, I am anxious to find out how the Big Bang thread will develop.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
I have a bad feeling regarding future releases of Caroline in the City. My contribution for complete cast and crew for the first season is now up for two days and not a single vote yet. Seems like I am the only active Profiler user who has this release, which is not a good sign :(

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
 :console: not everyone who buy dvd use dvd profiler  ;D

I've submited many adult profile in the database (when I was contributing) and none of them got a single vote. But, those DVD continue to be release every weeks  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:37:09 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
:console: not everyone who buy dvd use dvd profiler  ;D

Yes, but if the percentage of Profiler users who bought this set is so low, then it does not speak well for the sales figure of this set in general, I think.