Author Topic: Superman Marathon  (Read 17758 times)

Najemikon

Re: Superman Marathon
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
The Richard Donner cut is really worth to watch it. I even like it a lot better than the Lester Cut. It fits much better with Superman I. And you get some additional Marlon Brando scenes, which close some plot holes.

The only thing that has put me off is I heard the quality is a bit ropey in places? But it sounds more than watch-able from your comments.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
There is only one scene which suffers really poor quality. And that it is because it's scene which is needed, but was never shot. Only for screen tests. I think you probably already know the scene. It's part of the bonus material of the Superman I release. The one where Lois tricks Clark to admit to being Superman.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »
I definitely need to get me a copy! I have never seen it before. Was it even available at all before the DVD was released?
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
I definitely need to get me a copy! I have never seen it before. Was it even available at all before the DVD was released?
As far as I know only as fan cuts put together with deleted scenes. Not the official Richard Donner Cut.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
Which explains why I never seen it... Thanks Tom.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
the german site Schnittberichte (cut reports) shows the different chronology of both versions:

http://schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=4165
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »

Superman (Chapters 5-8)
Superman, Lois, and Jimmy combat the evil Spider Lady. Lots of cliffhanger excitement while the Spider Lady and her gang use Kryptonite against Superman in an effort to gain a relativity Reducer Ray.

My Thoughts:
Four more chapters of the first Superman movie serial.  Just more of the same as the first 4 chapters. I am still enjoying the serial very much. It has been a while since I watched these... so even though I do remember some of what is happening... I don't remember all of it. Unlike some of the movies that I basically know by heart.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »

Superman III
Meet Gus Gorman (Richard Pryor), a naive computer programming natural. For him a keyboard is a weapon - and 'Superman' faces the microelectronic menace of his life. Christopher Reeve reprises his signature role, deepening his character's human side as 'Clark Kent' sees 'Lana Lang' (Annette O'Toole) at a 'Smallville' High class reunion. And when the 'Man of Steel' becomes his own worst enemy after 'Kryptonite' exposure, Reeve pulls off both roles with dazzling skill. Relive 'Superman III' in all it's heart, heroism and high-flying humor.

My Thoughts:
In this one, they decided to go with a lot of comedy mixed into the story. A lot of people that I know really disliked this mixture. I on the other hand really enjoyed it. I found this new light-hearted look at Superman to be very entertaining. Even with that said... I wouldn't want to see other Superman movies in this way. I think one comedic look at Superman is enough. I really enjoyed Annette O'Toole was good as Lana Lang..... she of course goes on to play Martha Kent in Smallville.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

Superman (Chapters 9-12)
Superman, Lois, and Jimmy combat the evil Spider Lady. Lots of cliffhanger excitement while the Spider Lady and her gang use Kryptonite against Superman in an effort to gain a relativity Reducer Ray.

My Thoughts:
Another four chapters of the first serial. Almost done with this one... only 3 more chapters to go.  I just noticed for those that never seen it that I never mentioned that in this serial Lois Lane is played by Noel Neill who also played Lois Lane in most the episodes (Seasons 2-6) of The Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves. I am still enjoying the serial quite a bit. I have noticed they will use the same footage over again in different chapters... especially in places like when he ducks behind some rocks as Clark then pops out as Superman and flies away. But that is ok... it don't really take away from the show.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Christopher Reeve not only dons the title hero's cape for the fourth time but also helped develop the movie's provocative theme: nuclear disarmament. To make the world safe for nuclear arms merchants, 'Lex Luthor' (Gene Hackman) creates a new being to challenge the 'Man of Steel': the radiation-charged 'Nuclear Man' (Mark Pillow). The two foes clash in an explosive extravaganza that sees 'Superman' save the Statue of Liberty, plug a volcanic eruption of Mount Etna and rebuild the demolished Great Wall of China. Your quest for excitement is over.

My Thoughts:
This one on the other hand... this is my least favorite of all the Superman shows I ever seen... including movies, TV Series and animation! Even so it is Superman so there is some enjoyment... but not even close to any of the other movies or any of the other incarnations of Superman I have ever seen. I really can't put my finger on it... but this one is lacking a certain something that all the other movies has. I basically got this one in my collection just to complete the series of movies. It is not one I will watch often... but will watch every now and again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »

Superman (Chapters 13-15)

My Thoughts:
This completes the first Superman movie serial.  Over-all I really did enjoy it. Would definitely recommend it to others. There was a couple things in the storyline of this serial that they left open... but that is ok over all most everything was tied in together. I do with it would have went into who the Spider Lady was more then it did... but that is something that wasn't really needed for the story itself.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 01:27:04 AM »

My Thoughts:
This one on the other hand... this is my least favorite of all the Superman shows I ever seen... including movies, TV Series and animation! Even so it is Superman so there is some enjoyment... but not even close to any of the other movies or any of the other incarnations of Superman I have ever seen. I really can't put my finger on it... but this one is lacking a certain something that all the other movies has. I basically got this one in my collection just to complete the series of movies. It is not one I will watch often... but will watch every now and again.

It is dreadful. At least part 3 had the pretty cool sequence of him fighting himself and wrecking monuments! The problem with part 4 is that it is really a protest film. He's fighting someone who is nuclear powered and heavy handed preachy bollocks like that never works because audiences aren't quite that stupid. It adds nothing whatsoever to the mythology because it's too busy warning is of the dangers of destroying ourselves.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 01:27:41 AM »
This one on the other hand... this is my least favorite of all the Superman shows I ever seen... including movies, TV Series and animation!
You will not get any argument from me with this one, this movie is bad. The Nuclear man is not really impressive and the "nuclear is bad" agenda is nothing new, but without this Christopher Reeves had refuse to come back. The newspaper takeover storyline is weak too (look the bad capitalist  :-\). Why Jon Cryer? Did someone really care about him in 1987 or any other years?

But it's better than the third part  :P
At least this is a Superman movie not a good one at all, but not a Richard Pryor vehicule...  

lyonsden5

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
Wow, I think we found a movie everyone will agree is no good.  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »
Wow, I think we found a movie everyone will agree is no good.  :laugh:
I like the scene where Clark, this new lady, Superman and Lois double date  :laugh:
And I like the last line:
Superman to Luthor: "See you in twenty"
And about twenty years later we got Superman Returns starring Superman and Lex Luthor  :laugh:

But agreed, the rest of the movie is bad.