Author Topic: The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition  (Read 8502 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Last Boy Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »

The Last Boy Scout (1991/United States)
:blu:Warner Home Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Tony Scott (1944)
Writing:Shane Black (Screenwriter), Shane Black (Story By), Greg Hicks (Story By)
Length:105 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Czech: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Bruce Willis as Joe Hallenbeck
Damon Wayans as Jimmy Dix
Chelsea Field as Sarah Hallenbeck
Noble Willingham as Sheldon Marcone
Taylor Negron as Milo

Plot:
Written by Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) and directed by Tony Scott (Top Gun, Man on Fire), The Last Boy Scout is the Super Bowl of action movies, a flat-out blitz of excitement, blow-you-away pyrotechnics and hilarious gimme-five set against the world of pro football. Bruce Willis and Damon Wayens star as a seedy detective and a disgraced quarterback, teaming to dodge ambushes, fire off one-liners and bust chops. When the going gets tough, they get tougher. And funnier. They came to play. And to settle a score in this raging fireball where bigger is better, hits are harder and bad guys end up deader.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is classic action cinema of the late 80s/ early 90s. Tony Scott working off a script by Shane Black, with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, this puts an interesting spin on the buddy movie, with Bruce Willis playing the guy who is simply doing the right thing, although he lacks certain social skills on occasion, and Damon Wayans is out to revenge the murder of his girlfriend. The dialog is great (Black's trademark), the direction is great (Tony Scott doing his thing), beautifully photographed and with a great score by Michael Kamen. The film is very well paced allowing us to breathe every once in a while and given us enough back story and character tidbits to make us care.

Next to T2 and Last Action Hero , The last Boy Scout is one of my favorite 90s action movies.

Rating:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:25:58 AM by Achim »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Delta Force
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
The Delta Force (1986/United States)

... while for example Hanna Schygulla ...

Wait, what?  :o Hanna Schygulla is in this?
(Pretty sure I've seen it at some time, though my memory can't tell one Norris movie from the other.)
Matthias

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Boy Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
.. bits cut out ...

This is classic action cinema of the late 80s/ early 90s. Tony Scott working off a script by Shane Black, with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, this puts an interesting spin on the buddy movie, with Bruce Willis playing the guy who is simply doing the right thing, although he lacks certain social skills on occasion, and Damon Wayans is out to revenge the murder of his girlfriend. The dialog is great (Black's trademark), the direction is great (Tony Scott doing his thing), beautifully photographed and with a great score by Michael Kamen. The film is very well paced allowing us to breathe every once in a while and given us enough back story and character tidbits to make us care.

Next to T2 and Last Action Hero , The last Boy Scout is one of my favorite 90s action movies.

Bravo .. i really like this film.  Willis gets the crap beat out of him as usual and Wayans is almost good in his role.  I really like Willis's little jig at the end.

And to mention 'The Last Action Hero' .. i thought i was the only one who liked/had this film :-)
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Delta Force
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 06:21:58 AM »
Wait, what?  :o Hanna Schygulla is in this?
Well, yes. Mostly in the first half, she plays the purser of the hijacked plane. But by the way she acts you can tell she'd rather be somewhere else :hysterical: Clearly a gig for the money, I'd say.

And to mention 'The Last Action Hero' .. i thought i was the only one who liked/had this film :-)
Not sure why that is, but I have liked it ever since I first saw it. It didn't have to grow on me first... Although, thinking about it now, I think I must add True Lies to the list :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

Re: The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »
Another fan of Last Action Hero here. :-[

I too enjoyed The Last Boy Scout. Have you seen The Long Kiss Goodnight? I think you'd dig that also.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
I too enjoyed The Last Boy Scout. Have you seen The Long Kiss Goodnight? I think you'd dig that also.
Yes, seen it before and quite like it. Has a bunch of really cool moments and the female hero was still a new thing then :thumb up:. But compared to Last Boy Scout, True Lies or T2 it clearly shows that Renny Harlin is not quite in the big league. Only film where he managed to get there himself is Cliffhanger, another one of my favorites.