Author Topic: Batman Marathon  (Read 18422 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Batman Marathon
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
Batman Marathon
This time around I decided to do a marathon of Batman movies... but this time around I am doing a marathon in a way I have never done before. Not only will I be watching all my Batman movies... live action and animated both... I will be watching 5 chapters of the 2 old time Batman Movie Serials in between each of the movies. I think it will be a lot of fun watching all the different incarnations of Batman that has been brought to us over the years. After all... Batman is one of my top three favorites when it comes to Superheroes. As you can see... the Bat-Signal is in the sky... and here comes the Dark Knight!...

Batman
After a young boy witnesses his parents' murder on the streets of Gotham City, he grows up to become Batman, a mysterious figure in the eyes of Gotham's citizens, who takes crime-fighting into his own hands. He first emerges out of the shadows when the Joker appears - a horribly disfigured individual who is out for revenge on his former employer and generally likes to have a good time, but the identity of the "bat" is unknown. Perhaps millionaire Bruce Wayne and photographer Vicki Vale have a good chance of finding out?

My Thoughts:
In this movie Batman is played by Michael Keaton. And then you have Jack Nicholson as The Joker and Kim Bassinger as Viki Vale. A lot of big names in this movie. I think Michael Keaton did a very good job portraying both the Batman persona as well as Bruce Wayne's. I was also pretty impressed with Jack Nicholson's version of The Joker. I think the story itself was well done. I like the style of the darker Batman like it is in these films... compared to the '60s series and the cartoons that I was used to before this movie came along.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Marathon
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:39:09 AM »

Batman: The Complete 1943 Movie Serial (Chapters 1-5)
See how BATMAN really began. BATMAN started it all, and it's now available on DVD for the first time ever! Watch as mild-mannered Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, the classic superhero who, with Robin, protects Gotham City from the evil schemes of Dr. Tito Daka. Packed with adventures involving a radium-powered death ray, a deadly alligator pit, electronic zombies, and even the original Bat Cave, the BATMAN 2-disc set is a must-own DVD for any fan of the Caped Crusader!

My Thoughts:
In this one we have Lewis Wilson as Batman and Douglas Croft as Robin. This is definitely an entertaining serial I think you would enjoy it... but only if you can get past the prejudice against the Japanese people that runs rampant in this serial. Of course you have to take into account when this was made... and the circumstances of that time. I watched these 5 chapters with my daughter, Brittany. She enjoyed it just as much as me. We both sat here laughing at the series... as there is a lot of hilarious situations here.... Some meant to be funny... some other things not. Alfred is a real source of comedy in this serial. That is on purpose as I believe he was meant to be the comic relief in this show. Then you have things that are just so ridiculous (by today's standards at least) that you just have to laugh. Stuff like the Bat ink stamp that Batman stamps criminals foreheads with when he catches them.  Then there is the fact that there is no Bat Mobile. We have Batman and Robin riding around in Bruce Wayne's car all the time... difference? When it is Bruce Wayne driving... the top is down... when it is Batman and Robin... the top is then up. One thing that actually did bother me on this serial... every time you turn around You had Batman calling Robin Dick or Robin calling Batman Bruce. Supposedly they are alone when they do this... but when out on an open street it just don't seem realistic that they would do this. I certainly don't remember ever seeing that in the movies. But despite of (or is it because of?) all these problems with the serial... we are just having a great time watching it! Each chapter is about 17min. long. So that means this viewing was about an hour and a half... approximately the time of a standard movie.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

Batman Returns
Gotham City faces two monstrous criminal menaces: the bizarre, sinister Penguin and the slinky, mysterious Catwoman. Can Batman battle two formidable foes at once? Especially when one wants to be the mayor and the other is romantically attracted to Gotham's hero? Like the Academy Award®-winning 1989 original, 'Batman Returns' is directed by movie making wizard Tim Burton. And like the first blockbuster, it's a dazzling adventure that leaves you breathless.

My Thoughts:
Michael Keaton returns as Batman in this one. This time joined by Danny DeVito as The Penguin and Michelle Pfieffer as Catwoman. While I still definitely enjoyed this movie... in my opinion it is not as good as the first one. This could be partially due to the fact to The Penguin. Don't get me wrong... I think Danny Devito was a good choice to play him... and think he did a good job with the role. It is just that the character of the Penguin has never been one I cared much about. Also the circus gang... while had it's moments... just wasn't that impressive. I did like Michelle Pfieffer as the Catwoman. Over-all I would say a good... but not great sequel... at least not in my opinion.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »

Batman: The Complete 1943 Movie Serial (Chapters 6-10)
See how BATMAN really began. BATMAN started it all, and it's now available on DVD for the first time ever! Watch as mild-mannered Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, the classic superhero who, with Robin, protects Gotham City from the evil schemes of Dr. Tito Daka. Packed with adventures involving a radium-powered death ray, a deadly alligator pit, electronic zombies, and even the original Bat Cave, the BATMAN 2-disc set is a must-own DVD for any fan of the Caped Crusader!

My Thoughts:
Five more chapters of the movie serial. Much more of the same fun and the same excitement as the 5 chapters before it. In one of the chapters this time around... Robin threw a rock in a window of a room full of crooks breaking the light. then shined a flashlight with the Batman Logo into the room. This makes me wonder could that be where the original idea of "The Bat Signal" came from? Note that I am not familiar with the comics... so have no idea if this is the case.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:41:22 PM »
Oh, Pete. It's only downhill from Returns because you're into the dread Schumacher era... :(

Robin threw a rock in a window of a room full of crooks breaking the light. then shined a flashlight with the Batman Logo into the room. This makes me wonder could that be where the original idea of "The Bat Signal" came from? Note that I am not familiar with the comics... so have no idea if this is the case.

No way. The Bat-Signal is specifically used by Commissioner Gordon to alert Batman; I bet the torch was just a gimmick.

But Pete, surely you've read some Batman? You should try a couple of graphic novels and see the proper Batman, because you're going to have to wait until Batman Begins to see him on-screen and even that isn't perfect. The Dark Knight may be, but I assume it isn't being included in this marathon? :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »
Actually... even though I know most will not agree with me... I enjoyed both Batman Forever and Batman and Robin!  :bag: I am watching this marathon with my daughter... have been since yesterday afternoon (first 5 chapters of Batman serial), She has watched the movies before... and seems to agree with me... they are all good... including Forever & Batman and Robin. :)

Oh sure I read a few comics when I was a kid... even have a few comics in a box in my room that I haven't looked in for years! but never really followed them.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »
they are all good... including Forever & Batman and Robin. :)

No, Pete. No. You've forgotten your tablets again, haven't you?

Batman & Robin is officially bad. So bad, George Clooney apologised at a press conference!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »

Batman Forever
Riddle me this, riddle me that, you'll find adventure on the wings of a bat! Brace for excitement as Val Kilmer (Batman), Tommy Lee Jones (Two-Face), Jim Carrey (the Riddler), Nicole Kidman (Dr. Chase Meridian) and Chris O'Donnell (Robin) star in the third spectacular film in Warner Bros.' 'Batman' series. Joel Schumacher ('The Client') directs and Tim Burton co-produces this thrill-ride of a movie that thunders along on Batmobile, Batwing, Batboat, Batsub and bold heroics. Hang on!

My Thoughts:
Time for Val Kilmer to take over the role of Batman. I know this is where a lot of people started to loose interest in these movies.... but I must say I still enjoyed it very much. Matter of fact (and I am prepared to be flamed here) I even like this one better then Batman Returns. This one has some great stars in it.. I really enjoyed seeing Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face.  Thought he was great for the part and looked like he had a lot of fun playing it. And I thought Jim Carrey was the perfect choice for The Riddler. I even enjoyed Chris O'Donnell and Nicole Kidman. Sure... this movie is a bit on the silly side... almost to the point of cartoonish. But I don't know... to me at least... it felt like it was a good time for a change from the first 2 and a change in the right direction. Sure it was less serious and dark... but it was, in my opinion, more fun. When you reply to this... just remember... not everyone has the same tastes... if we did... this would be a very boring place!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
they are all good... including Forever & Batman and Robin. :)

No, Pete. No. You've forgotten your tablets again, haven't you?
I threw those things away a long time ago!  :P
Batman & Robin is officially bad. So bad, George Clooney apologised at a press conference!
Since when is it wrong to still enjoy a bad movie? That after all is what I meant... I know I used the word good for it... but meant it was good in my eyes since I was able to enjoy what I was watching.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:39:25 AM »
Since when is it wrong to still enjoy a bad movie? That after all is what I meant... I know I used the word good for it... but meant it was good in my eyes since I was able to enjoy what I was watching.

Ah, fair enough, but regardless, I look forward to your review! :devil: Actually, your comments about Forever were very good. You're right that it was at least a change of pace and actually, it gets a fair review in many places. It was the next one where most feel they completely lost the plot.

I don't like either of them for the OTT style, hence I loved both Nolan's versions better than any other. While I agree with your earlier remark about liking bad movies, I'm predisposed against these because of the frequent high quality of the original stories. And especially against B&R because a character as strong as Batman should never, ever, have nipples. Ever.

The silly series had it's place and time outside the books, but after Burton's dark version got back to the roots, I felt disappointed in what I saw as a step backwards. Robin is a good character to focus on; he works in the comics (sometimes!), but is hard to present on screen. Apparently Christian Bale has said he will leave the role if Robin is introduced and when you see Begins or Dark Knight, it's obvious why. He just doesn't fit in that particular incarnation. He did work in Forever and Kilmer did nothing wrong, I just preferred a more "real" version.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:27 AM »

Batman: The Complete 1943 Movie Serial (Chapters 11-15)

My Thoughts:
And this wraps up the serial with the final five chapters. Within these final five the prejudice against the Japanese really comes out. But once again... this is to be expected when you consider the time it was made and the circumstances of that time. The serial on a whole was really good. And I know Brittany enjoyed it as well. Not only did she tell me so... but you should have seen her reaction when I jokingly  told her after Chapter 14 that we were done for the night. She was ready to steal my remote and start it without me! I just hope she will enjoy the next serial as much... if not more then she did this one. The quality of this DVD release is surprisingly good. quality wise. They really did a good job cleaning it up. Sure there was a small problem with the video here and there... but over-all it was in very good shape.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »
Since when is it wrong to still enjoy a bad movie?
I agree with you here. The most important when we watch a movie is to enjoy it. I have a much more enjoying time when I watch a movie made by Coleman Francis or Bill Greffe than a movie made by Stanley Kubrick or with Eddie Murphy. We are all different and that's great.

BTW : The only good Batman version for me is the old tv version with Adam West. This is how every comic book movie should be made.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:49:17 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 03:14:58 AM »
I agree with you here. The most important when we watch a movie is to enjoy it. I have a much more enjoying time when I watch a movie made by Coleman Francis or Bill Greffe than a movie made by Stanley Kubrick or with Eddie Murphy. We are all different and that's great.

Absolutely. You should take each movie/book/song as it comes and treat it with honesty. You can easily end up enjoying something that general opinion, perceived wisdom or even common sense says is terrible. I really enjoyed the two Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, even though I know they're a mess and supporting them supports the Hollywood machine that thought it was alright to make them like that.

For me, the only caveat is that the film also be honest and especially when it comes from such loved source material. Comics already play with their own styles and moods, which is why Batman can work in so many different ways, but only Batman and Robin insults it.

So it all depends on how much you know of the source material. Another truly crap effort I like is the Dukes of Hazzard. I thought it was great fun, but I can certainly understand the fans of the series who seem to get an attack of rabies at the mere mention of Jessica Simpson playing Daisy Duke!

I can understand it because of Judge Dredd. Being British, I read a few Batman stories, but I grew up on Dredd. The film is a boisterous cartoon actioner that can't be taken seriously and my mum loves it. I... leaned more towards the rabies... frothing at the mouth, throwing things at the screen, etc... :-X

BTW : The only good Batman version for me is the old tv version with Adam West. This is how every comic book movie should be made.

But then we'd lose The Dark Knight. Jimmy, that's too high a price!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:17:17 AM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:32:56 AM »
But then we'd lose The Dark Knight. Jimmy, that's too high a price!
Never seen it, in fact I've only seen the first Batman movie reviewed here by Pete and the movie based on the old tv series and the tv serie a thousands of time. Maybe I will watch the 2 last movies with Christian Bale one day since I like his performance in American Psycho, but as everyone know I'm not a big fan of the new Hollywood cinema.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 04:15:17 AM »
Since when is it wrong to still enjoy a bad movie?

I grew up watching the old Adam West series... and started to get the movie from '66 for my collection. But then I watched the trailer for it online and couldn't believe how it looked... going by the trailer it did not hold up for me at all. I am still tempted to get it sometime and give it another chance... but I am a bit concerned about doing so now.
Pete