Author Topic: Batman Marathon  (Read 18420 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Marathon
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 04:32:37 AM »

Batman & Robin
Chills and Thrills: Will Gotham City be put on ice? George Clooney is Batman as the Dark Knight battles his greatest threat yet: cold-hearted Mr. Freeze (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and venomous Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman). Batman has more than Gotham City to protect: the youthful eagerness of crimefighting comrades Robin (Chris O'Donnell) and Batgirl (Alicia Silverstone) puts them frequently in harm's way. New 'very' special effects include a wild sky-surfing sequence and Freeze's outrageous ice-blasting arsenal. It's state-of-the-art excitement from our Batfamily to yours!

My Thoughts:
George Clooney takes over the role in this one. First thing I notice when watching this one is I don't really care for George Clooney as Batman. I mean he did an OK job but I think  Micheal Keaton, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale all did much better. I know a lot of people feel this is a God-Aweful movie... and I agree it is not what someone thinks of when they think of good movies. And I can even see how it is considered a bad movie. Watching it tonight even showed me that it is not even as good as I was remembering it to be. But even with that... it is a movie I enjoy watching. I guess this is just a guilty pleasure type of movie for me.... even while watching it I am asking myself why am I enjoying this as much as I am? But that is OK... as long as I am getting enjoyment from it... that is all that matters.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
Confession time: I enjoy Batman Forever too  :bag:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:51:38 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
I grew up watching the old Adam West series... and started to get the movie from '66 for my collection. But then I watched the trailer for it online and couldn't believe how it looked... going by the trailer it did not hold up for me at all. I am still tempted to get it sometime and give it another chance... but I am a bit concerned about doing so now.

I remember seeing it a lot as a kid too and it's now getting repeated, so I've caught a couple of episodes. It is dated, but very funny, because they knew exactly what they were doing. The last episode I saw was a crossover with Green Hornet! It was hilarious.

Never seen it, in fact I've only seen the first Batman movie reviewed here by Pete and the movie based on the old tv series and the tv serie a thousands of time. Maybe I will watch the 2 last movies with Christian Bale one day since I like his performance in American Psycho, but as everyone know I'm not a big fan of the new Hollywood cinema.

Looking at your top ten (which was predictably brilliant by the way!), I think you'd enjoy Nolan's movies: Memento, Insomnia for starters. The Prestige is complicated, but that's why it's so good and proves he will never follow Hollywood formula. He was the last person people expected to do Batman Begins, but he definitely didn't sell out. Now he isn't stuck with an origin story, he could really get his teeth into the sequel. Honestly, Jimmy, The Dark Knight is the Godfather II of comic book movies. ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
Looking at your top ten (which was predictably brilliant by the way!), I think you'd enjoy Nolan's movies: Memento, Insomnia for starters.
Already enjoy the 3 movies of him that I have : Following, Memento and insomnia. Of the three my favourite is Following a pretty good independant movie with no known actors (for me anyway), but I'm sure that you have seen this one already.

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
Already enjoy the 3 movies of him that I have : Following, Memento and insomnia. Of the three my favourite is Following a pretty good independant movie with no known actors (for me anyway), but I'm sure that you have seen this one already.

:bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »

Batman and Robin: The Complete 1949 Movie Serial (Chapters 1-5)
Join superheroes Batman and Robin as they help Commissioner Gordon battle The Wizard, a villainous madman who steals a top-secret remote device allowing him to control all the moving vehicles in Gotham. Between The Wizard trying to destroy them and Bruce Wayne's love interest Vicky Vale working to uncover their identities, The Dynamic Duo careen from one nail-biting cliffhanger to the next as they set out to save Gotham and foil The Wizard's plan for world domination.

My Thoughts:
In this movie serial we have Robert Lowery as Batman and John Duncan as Robin. At this point I kind of have mixed feelings about this serial. I am definitely enjoying it. But not sure if it is better then the first serial or not yet. On the plus side, you don't have the prejudices in this one that you have in the first on. But then again, the actual cliffhangers at the end of each chapter seems to be better on the first serial so far.  I do like the fact that in this one it is a mystery who The Wizard is since he is wearing a mask. They are hinting pretty strongly that it is one person in particular... which means most likely it is not him. I have seen this serial before... but luckily I forget (at least to this point) who The Wizard is. It is also an improvement that in this one Batman and Robin is not calling each other by their real names while in costume. Which is something that did bug me quite a bit in the first serial. So I guess this is boiling down to me enjoying this one a bit more then the first serial I watched.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
[...]I have seen this serial before... but luckily I forget (at least to this point) who The Wizard is. [...]
:laugh: You sound like me Pete. I can watch a movie with a twist in it every couple of years and not remember what the twist was or "who done it" :hysterical:

[actually not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing  :-\ ]

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »
LOL... Well I choose to look at it as a good thing.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »

Batman Begins
In 'BATMAN BEGINS', acclaimed director Christopher Nolan explores the origins of the legendary DARK KNIGHT. In the wake of his parents' murders, disillusioned heir BRUCE WAYNE (CHRISTIAN BALE) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. With the help of his trusted butler ALFRED (MICHAEL CAINE), detective JIM GORDON (GARY OLDMAN) and his ally LUCIUS FOX (MORGAN FREEMAN), Wayne returns to GOTHAM CITY and unleashes his alter ego: BATMAN, a masked crusader who uses strength, intellect and an array of high-tech weaponry to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

My Thoughts:
Christian Bale is the most recent actor to take on the role of Batman. This one of course is to be separate from the previous movies. And is back to a darker version of Batman.Once again it is a nice change from what I was currently watching. I think they did a wonderful job on this movie I enjoyed every second of it. I especially enjoyed Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman. I also enjoyed the Scarecrow storyline. Actually I can't think of much of anything I didn't like. It is a long movie.. clocks in at 2hrs and 19min... but you wouldn't know it while watching as time just flies by as you are watching. I never got to see the sequel to this (The Dark Night) as I never go to the theaters anymore... but can't wait to check it out.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »

Batman and Robin: The Complete 1949 Movie Serial (Chapters 6-10)
Join superheroes Batman and Robin as they help Commissioner Gordon battle The Wizard, a villainous madman who steals a top-secret remote device allowing him to control all the moving vehicles in Gotham. Between The Wizard trying to destroy them and Bruce Wayne's love interest Vicky Vale working to uncover their identities, The Dynamic Duo careen from one nail-biting cliffhanger to the next as they set out to save Gotham and foil The Wizard's plan for world domination.

My Thoughts:
This section of the serial the cliffhangers has gotten better... so that is a good thing. Other then that it is just much more of the same. In this serial not only does Batman and Robin have the flashlights with the Batman logo on them... but the Bat Signal is also used. In this serial they are not using the ink stamp Batman logo to stamp on the crooks foreheads when they are caught by Batman... that is also a good thing as I never did like that in the first serial. I do think I remember who The Wizard is now... but not completely sure so it is still fun watching and seeing if I remember right. Over-all I am definitely enjoying this one more then the first Batman serial.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 11:39:26 PM »

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
When the city's most feared gangsters are systematically eliminated, the Caped Crusader is blamed. But prowling the Gotham Night is a shadowy new villain, the Phantasm, a sinister figure with some link to Batman's past. Can the Dark Knight elude the police, capture the Phantasm and clear his name?

Unmasking the Phantasm is just one of the twists in this dazzling animated feature. Discover all-new revelations about Batman's past, his archrival the Joker and Batman's most grueling battle ever - the choice between his love of a beautiful woman and his vow to be the defender of right. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is "a mystery that is genuinely absorbing, suspenseful and moving." (Cincinnati Enquirer)

My Thoughts:
This is a theatrical release from the people that made Batman: The Animated Series. This is a right good movie. I enjoyed how they showed through flashbacks what Bruce Wayne went through to become Batman. And the story of his first love interest was good as well. But I did find it pretty obvious who was behind the Mask of the Phantasm.  The quality of this DVD is very good... no problem with audio or video. But I did find the release lacking when it comes to the extras. Unfortunately all we get is the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 07:45:22 AM »
I own Following and watched it a while back. It's somewhat similar to Man Bites Dog and, while not filmed in documentary style, just as interesting. Also the filmic structure is just as "different" as what he did with Memento later on.

Jimmy, The Dark Knight is a very dark and different movie which you may enjoy watching (keeping in mind it is a modern day comic movie with the related action set pieces). Being the origin-story, Batman Begins is a little more straight forward and mainstream than the follow-up.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
Confession time: I enjoy Batman Forever too  :bag:

Me too and I'm not the least bit embarrassed by it!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »

Batman and Robin: The Complete 1949 Movie Serial (Chapters 11-15)

My Thoughts:
This concludes the serial. Even though who I remembered The Wizard to be was right... there was a twist to make me think I was wrong after all that I didn't remember. So there was still a bit of a surprise in the end for me. I think this serial is the better of the two Batman serials. It had a bit of a better storyline... and I liked the mystery of who was behind the mask of  The Wizard. The quality of this serial is good as well... they did a fine job at cleaning it up. Sure there was some minor video problems throughout the serial... but considering that it is almost 60 years old it is in very good condition. Unfortunately they do not add much when it comes to extras... just a few trailers.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
The sleeker, deadlier and seemingly immortal Clown Prince of Crime is back with his own unique brand of havoc and mayhem. While trying to uncover the Joker's secrets, the new Batman, Terry McGinnis, discovers the greatest mystery in the life of the original Caped Crusader: what happened the night he fought the Joker for the last time. When Bruce Wayne is almost killed in one of the Joker's latest attacks, Batman vows to avenge his mentor and put the Joker to rest forever.

My Thoughts:
I thought it would be a good idea to end this movie with the futuristic Batman. I really enjoy the series... as well as this movie. I like how this movie combined the original Batman with the new Batman through flashbacks. I thought how they explained the Return of the Joker was a good and entertaining way to do it. Not only is this a good movie... with a good quality DVD... this release comes with a nice selection of extras.

OK... that is it. That completes my collection of Batman movies/ serials. It was a lot of fun watching them all together like this.... though it was a bit of a long marathon. Even so I am considering doing this same type of marathon (movies & movie serials) with my Superman collection. Maybe this coming week. But not sure when I will actually get to do it.
Pete