Author Topic: Car Movie Marathon  (Read 25654 times)

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Car Movie Marathon
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
If you liked Drive, you might want to watch Winding Refn's "Pusher"-Trilogy too.
A great piece of Danish cinema!

The BluRay-boxset will be released on 02/02 in Germany

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Drive *****
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
Drive *****

...I felt it needed bringing to your attention, because it’s something quite special. It is easily my top film of 2011.

I agree, Drive is pretty great (although "only" #20 for me). In the way it distillates the essence of a certain type of film it reminded me a bit of last years Amer (which did the same with the Italian giallo genre).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:55:05 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
Ah, thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to look up Amer. Heard good things about it. Thanks to Silence about Pusher as well. I haven't really taken notice of Refn before, but I'll certainly be considering him more closely now.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
I second the Pusher recommendation (have seen only the first though). It's really unpredictable and the main cast are very understated.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:38 AM »
Cars & movies?

For me it has to be Steve McQueen's Bulitt and his iconic Ford Mustang GT 390.

Najemikon

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 02:58:58 AM »
Doesn't count.  :tease:

In all seriousness, I love Bullitt, I love that car, it's an all round awesome movie and has the first or second best car chase ever. The French Connection also has the first or second best car chase ever. ;)

But neither of these films could be included in this category because they are not about cars or driving cars. These kind of films are only ones where the character is defined by his affinity with cars. In some cases this is quite slight (Duel, White Lightning), while in others it is deep and profound (Two-Lane Black Top, Vanishing Point). I noticed actually when scanning through earlier that I used similar phrases across the reviews of those two and Drive, so there may even be a sub-sub-genre of "Nostalgic Melancholy". :bag: Well, I know what I mean...

That's why I said when the marathon originally ended that Tarantino's Death Proof, despite being a mediocre film by relative standards, is the best car film since the 70s. Well, it was until this year! However what I meant was that there was nothing similar up against it. Had I included Bullitt et al, I would also have included Ronin and the Bourne movies and Death Proof would have been bumped down the list.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:01:24 AM by Jon »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Drive *****
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
I always thought Carey Mulligan was a marvellous actress, ...

Interview with Carey Mulligan, pretty lengthy, but worth a read (*):
http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/interviews/carey-mulligan-17624

EDIT:
(*) At least for me as I hadn't read anything else so far. Or seen - dunno if she does the talk show thing in UK.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:22:02 AM by goodguy »
Matthias