Author Topic: Two-Weeks Movie Marathon: Unwatched Movies  (Read 25045 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Two-Weeks Movie Marathon: Unwatched Movies
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:31 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Best in Show
Year: 2000
Director: Christopher Guest
Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , French: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Parker Posey
Catherine O'Hara
Eugene Levy
Jennifer Coolidge
Michael McKean
Ed Begley, Jr.
Fred Willard

Plot:
Si-i-i-t. Sta-a-a-a-a-y. Laugh! 'Best in Show' is "the year's funniest movie" (Lou Lumenick, 'New York Post'). 'Waiting for Guffman's' Christopher Guest directs and many of that film's stars (including Fred Willard as a loopy commentator) reunite for this zany look at dog show participants (and the pooches who love them). Join the fun as Mayflower Kennel Club competitors - a fly-fishing shop owner from Pine Nut, NC (Guest), Shih Tzu-doting partners (Michael McKean and John Michael Higgins), squabbling yuppies (Parker Posey and Michael Hitchcock), a dim-bulb trophy wife (Jennifer Coolidge) and her ace handler (Jane Lynch) and a married couple (Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara) who dream up ditties about terriers - vie for the top prize. It's howlarious!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Another Christopher Guest mockumentary. It has a few good laughs. Eugene Levy is brilliant as always. Too bad Harry Shearer isn't in this one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 11:54:57 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Kamikaze Girls
Year: 2004
Director: Tetsuya Nakashima
Rating: Category IIB
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital Surround EX , Japanese: DTS ES (Discrete)
Subtitles: Chinese, English

Stars:
Kyoko Fukada
Anna Tsuchiya
Hiroyuki Miyasako
Ryoko Shinohara
Sadawo Abe

Plot:
Momoko (pop idol Kyoko Fukada) yearns to live in 18th-century Versailles and loses herself in the dreamy, doll-like fashions of the "Lolita" scene. She travels all the way from Shimotsuma to Tokyo to the shop selling her favorite "Lolita" designs hose. One day, she encounters a super-rebel Ichiko (Anna Tsuchiya), a member of motorbike gang. The two self-directed trendy girls find themselves taking different paths. Momoko wishes to be a "Lolita" designer and Ichiko fights her way to be a motorbike gang leader. Somewhat against their will, they slowly develop a strong friendship as they share their feelings on the odd going-ons around them.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I first came to attention of this movie, when I saw its trailer on another DVD. The impression I got was that of a movie similar in style to AmeliƩ.
But because the cover of this DVD put me a little off (and also the stupid English title), it took me almost four months to finally watch it. I almost regret not doing so sooner. It was a great movie!
The imaginary was a little reminiscent of AmeliƩ but this movie has a character of its own.

Rating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTxyok0j2o
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:29:49 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »
I hereby declare this marathon closed  :)

I am surprised I have managed to almost watch all the movies that I had planned to watch in these two weeks. For a while it didn't look like I can manage it. There were some high and lows in the selected movies.
Only one movie is left: Fido
I have seen this one recently (it is a good movie) and I'd rather watch "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" now as I have waited for it :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Sarah Connor Chronicles! :)
Pete