Author Topic: Stephen King Marathon...  (Read 14910 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King Marathon...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »
NOW WATCHING....

Salem's Lot (2004)
Welcome to Jerusalem's Lot - Salem's Lot, as locals call it. Population: 1319. And growing eerier by the moment. Because an ominous outsider has moved into the sleepy New England town's foreboding Marsten House and brought with him an unspeakable horror.

This powerful new adaptation of Stephen King's terrifying bestseller stars Rob Lowe as a writer who returns to his hometown to confront his haunted past... and who soon leads the fight against a heart-stopping force of evil. Andre Braugher, Donald Sutherland, Samantha Mathis, Rutger Hauer and James Cromwell co-star, and help supply proof that when it comes to thrills, chills and unearthly dread you can't keep the undead down. Walk the streets of Salem's Lot... if you dare.

My Thoughts:
I just can't have a Stephen King marathon and not watch Salem's Lot. I normally would jump at watching the original... but I have just recently watched that one. So figured I would watch the remake this time. Not that the remake isn't good... I really did enjoy both versions a lot! Of course it helps that I love vampire movies in general.

As I said... I did enjoy this version of the miniseries... but do think I prefer the original. This version does have some good scenes that isn't in the original though. Most notably must be the scene with the vampire children on the school bus. Anyway... if you haven't seen this remake I would suggest checking it out.
Pete

rorymatt

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 01:57:24 AM »
Let's not forget, The Running Man, Based on a Bachman (King) story. :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:16:42 PM »
NOW WATCHING....

Misery
A "heart-stopping psychological thriller" (Joel Siegel), this Academy Award-winning film is "one of the best horror movies" ('Time') ever. Adapted from a Stephen King novel by Oscar®-winning screenwriter William Goldman ('All The President's Men') and directed by Rob Reiner ('A Few Good Men'), this chiller starring Kathy Bates ('Titanic') and James Cann ('The Godfather') is "a Hitchcockian kind of cat-and-mouse" ('The New York Times') game played between two cunning minds - one as sharp as a tack and the other as blunt as a sledgehammer.

Novelist Paul Sheldon (Cann) doesn't remember the blinding blizzard that sent his car spinning off the road. Nor does he remember being nursed back from unconsciousness. All he remembers is waking up in the home of Annie Wilkes (Bates) - a maniacal fan who is bent on keeping her favorite writer as her personal prisoner…for the rest of his 'cock-a-doodie' life!

My Thoughts:
This is one I only seen a few times before. It is a really good story... and I think Kathy Bates did a wonderful job in it. Unfortunately there isn't much for extras on this release... basically just the Theatrical Trailer and Teaser. I hear that there is a collector's Edition coming soon... so I am seriously considering an upgrade when it is released,
Pete

Touti

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »
IMO this is one of Bates best performances ever.  I love that movie.

SailorRipley

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »
I'll second that. IMO it is one of the best King-to-film adaptations. I also have this particular release, though I've seen the Region 4 special ed. with commentary by Reiner and William Goldman. One for the ever growing wish list.

Touti

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »
I'll second that. IMO it is one of the best King-to-film adaptations. I also have this particular release, though I've seen the Region 4 special ed. with commentary by Reiner and William Goldman. One for the ever growing wish list.

Carrie (the original with Sissy Spacek) was also a very good adaptation but it's much more visual than Misery which makes you feel just like when you read the book.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
NOW WATCHING....

Graveyard Shift
From horror master Stephen King comes his most terror- filled tale yet... Gates Falls, Maine. When an abandoned textile mill is reopened, several employees meet mysterious deaths. The link between the killings: all occurred between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. - the Graveyard Shift. The sadistic mill foreman (Stephen Macht) has chosen a group to clean up the mill's rat-infested basement. But what the workers find is a subterranean maze of tunnels leading to the cemetery - and an unimaginable horror that comes alive in the dead of night...

My Thoughts:
I wouldn't say this is one of the best Stephen King movies I ever seen... but I did enjoy it. It is just not one I will watch as often as the other ones. Unfortunately this is a bare bones release... not even a trailer on this DVD! And I do love my extra features... even if I don't watch them very often.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 02:13:11 PM »
NOW WATCHING....

Rose Red
The chilling tale of Dr. Joyce Reardon (Nancy Travis), an obsessed psychology professor who commissions a team of psychics and a gifted 15-year-old autistic girl, Annie Wheaton, to literally wake up a supposedly dormant haunted mansion -- Rose Red. Their efforts unleash myriad spirits and uncover horrifying secrets of the generations who have lived and died there.

My Thoughts:
Not only is this one of my favorite Stephen King miniseries... it is also one of my favorite ghost/haunting movies. I missed this one when it originally aired on TV... but a friend of mine gave the DVD release to me for Christmas when it was released. Since then I have watched it every year during my annual Month Long Halloween/Horror Marathon. If you have never seen this marathon I would highly recommend checking it out!

Well... I think this is where I will call my Stephen King Marathon to an end. I really enjoyed watching all these this past week. Of course I didn't watch anywhere near my entire Stephen King collection... but that is ok... leaves something for the next time I want to do this marathon! :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »

Not only is this one of my favorite Stephen King miniseries... it is also one of my favorite ghost/haunting movies.

What would be your favorites?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »
Stephen King Miniseries...
- Salems Lot (Original miniseries)
- Salems Lot (Remake Miniseries)
- Rose Red
- Stephen King's The Shining (Miniseries Remake)

Ghosts/Haunting Movies...
- Rose Red
- The Amityville Horror
- Christine
- Thir13en Ghosts
Pete