Author Topic: Stephen King Marathon...  (Read 14971 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Stephen King Marathon...
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
Today I started a Stephen King Marathon. I plan on watching at least 1 Stephen King movie/miniseries per day between today and Sunday.

Today I watched...

The Stand
Enter a near future of a horrifically plague-ravaged Earth where a fraction of its population survives, compelling them to choose sides between the overwhelming forces of good and evil, in this critically acclaimed film version of Stephen King's phenomenal, number-one best-selling novel THE STAND.

Millions perish, and as small, isolated frightened bands unite, the answers to their perpetual questions to justify this end of civilization are bared in their dreams - revelations that urge some to embrace a path of virtue and others to gravitate towards a sinister course of darkness. As the opposing forces separate into two camps - one led by the saintly Mother Abigail and the other by demonic Randall Flagg - the noble elements try to shield themselves from their corrupt enemy, whose ruthless potency is increased by their domination of an excavated nuclear warhead. Their extreme clash of wills makes it inevitable that these remnants of humanity will soon engage in a final confrontation - THE STAND - an immense and atrocious battle which could result in annihilating the power of good and hurdle the fate of the planet into the reins of evil.

This four-episode motion picture, adapted for the screen by Stephen King himself, brings to life King's terrifying epic featuring an all-star-powered cast including Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, Jamey Sheridan, Laura San Giacomo, Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis, Miguel Ferrer, Corin Nemec, Matt Frewer, Adam Storke, Ray Walston, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Rob Lowe as "Nick Andros."

My Thoughts:
I figured if I am going to do this... I will do it right... and start off with the biggie! This miniseries clocks in at a whopping 6 hours! (5hrs. 59min to be exact). For the plane fact that it is so long I have not watched this one in a very long time... so going into it I really don't remember all that much about it.

Even though it is very long... it is a really good story I enjoyed every minute of it. I had no problems with the quality or the sound. I have had this DVD since it was first released in October of 1999... and this is only the second time I watched it. Only because of the length of course. I would say if you are a fan of Stephen king... as I am... this one is a must have!
Pete

SailorRipley

Re: Stephen King Marathon...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
A Stephen King marathon sounds like a sweet idea.

I like The Stand as well, I think it's very telling that one never feels the weight of those 6 hours. It moves very fast. All in all, a very entertaining show. The only thing that I absolutely despise about it (which is also a symptom of the vast majority of his books) is that absolutely horrendous ending. I'm not sure why is that, it has wonderful setpieces and ideas, but he usually goes for the cop-out endings.

However, I'm looking forward for Frank Darabont's upcoming adaptation of King's The Mist. I loved the short story and Darabont is usually very good at helming King projects, so this will be one to see.

Keep us posted on the next one!

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »
Stephen King Marathon.

What a fun idea.  Two titles come to mind.  Misery and Dreamcatcher.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:19:59 AM »
Don't Worry SailorRipley... I will keep it up to date. :)

And I do have both Misery and Dreamcatcher Touti!... though I have sooooo many Stephen King movies... not sure which ones I will get to this week.  :P I have a lot of favorite King movies though! :)
Pete

Touti

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:26:18 AM »
I checked my collection, I have more than I thought, a few I didn't even know they were based on King's writings.

Carrie (That I knew but didn't remember)
Dolores Clairbone
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
LOL... nice start!  ;) I have...

- Carrie (original)
- Carrie (miniseries Remake)
- Cat's Eye
- Children of the Corn
- Children of the Corn 666 Isaac's Return (characters based on)
- Children of the corn: Revelation (characters based on)
- Christine
- Creepshow
- Cujo
- The Dead Zone
- Desperation
- Dreamcatcher
- Firestarter
- Firestarter 2: Rekindled  (characters based on)
- Golden Years
- Graveyard Shift
- Green Mile
- Stephen King's It
- Kingdom Hospital (Limited Series)
- The Langoliers
- The Lawnmower Man
- Maximum Overdrive
- Misery
- The Night Flier
- Pet Semetary
- Quicksilver Highway
- Riding the Bullet
- Rose Red
- Salem's Lot (Original)
- Salem's Lot (Remake)
- Secret Window
- The Shining (Original)
- The Shining (Miniseries)
- Silver Bullet
- Sleepwalkers
- Sometimes They Come Back
- The Stand
- Storm of the Century
- Tommyknockers

So as you can see... there is no way I will get to them all! LOL   :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:18:59 AM »
Now Watching... one of my favorites...

Silver Bullet
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with the courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time OscarĀ® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

My Thoughts:
I don't know what it is about this movie... but I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I mean come on... you gotta love the Silver Bullet... that supped up wheel chair! In my opinion... Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. Unfortunately this is just a bare bones DVD... no extras what so ever. I would love to see it re-released as a special edition!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:45:48 AM »
WOW! I was missing quite a few - I've added them to my wish list. I don't know if I should thank or curse you!!! :hmmmm: :laugh: Enjoy your movie marathon!

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:21:16 AM »
Let's see.. What Stephen King movies do I have:

- Riding the Bullet
- Secret Window
- Carrie (the original)
- The Green Mile
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Stand
- Misery
- It
- Christine
- The Shining

That's about it.

Touti

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:26:02 AM »
I have more, I only listed those I didn't until now that they were based on King.

Carrie
Carrie (The Remake)
The Rage: Carrie 2
Dolores Clairbone (One of Kathy Bates best performances IMO)
Dreamcatcher (Don't lik it much, too gross for me)
The Green Mile
Misery (Definately Bates best performance IMO)
The Shawshank redemption
The Shining (Wishlist)

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:49:27 AM »
I read there's also an episode of X-Files that was written by Stephen King, is that true?

Touti

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:13:25 AM »
I read there's also an episode of X-Files that was written by Stephen King, is that true?

According to IMDB :tomato:, he did write one in 1998

SailorRipley

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 04:24:41 AM »
Ack! I only own 4 Stephen King films...

- Misery
- The Stand
- The Green Mile
- Dreamcatcher

Carrie, The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, The Dead Zone and Pet Semetary are still on the wish list.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:31:16 AM »
WOW! I was missing quite a few - I've added them to my wish list. I don't know if I should thank or curse you!!! :hmmmm: :laugh: Enjoy your movie marathon!

Why Thank me of course! what better then more ideas to add to your collection?  ;D

Quote from: Rossroy
Well I don't know... nothing came up in DVD Profiler for X-Files... so either IMDB is wrong or I am missing some crew in the profiles... or maybe he was an uncredited writer?  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
LOL... nice start!  ;) I have...

- Carrie (original)
- Carrie (miniseries Remake)
- Cat's Eye
- Children of the Corn
- Children of the Corn 666 Isaac's Return (characters based on)
- Children of the corn: Revelation (characters based on)
- Christine
- Creepshow
- Cujo
- The Dead Zone
- Desperation
- Dreamcatcher
- Firestarter
- Firestarter 2: Rekindled  (characters based on)
- Golden Years
- Graveyard Shift
- Green Mile
- Stephen King's It
- Kingdom Hospital (Limited Series)
- The Langoliers
- The Lawnmower Man
- Maximum Overdrive
- Misery
- The Night Flier
- Pet Semetary
- Quicksilver Highway
- Riding the Bullet
- Rose Red
- Salem's Lot (Original)
- Salem's Lot (Remake)
- Secret Window
- The Shining (Original)
- The Shining (Miniseries)
- Silver Bullet
- Sleepwalkers
- Sometimes They Come Back
- The Stand
- Storm of the Century
- Tommyknockers

So as you can see... there is no way I will get to them all! LOL   :P

Just realized I missed putting one in my list... I also have Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the stories of Stephen King...I just got that one recently for my B'day. :)
Pete