Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Witches & Warlocks  (Read 10841 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Witches & Warlocks
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Witches & Warlocks
This week I felt like a marathon that I never did before... and still in the mood for horror... when looking through my collection the one thing I at least don't remember ever doing a marathon for was witches/warlock movies. So I thought it is time to change that.

The Devonsville Terror
In 1683, three witches were burned at the stake and killed in the town of Devonsville. Before dying, one of them placed a curse on the townspeople. Three hundred years later, to the day, three women arrive, including a mysterious school teacher (Suzanna Love), and strange things begin to happen. Could they be reincarnations of the witches murdered so long ago?

My Thoughts:
I know I watched this one once... years ago when I first got the DVD... but for the life of me I couldn't remember it at all. So I thought I would start with this movie for that very reason. After watching it I realized just why I didn't remember it. It wasn't much worth remembering. I felt that it was really a bit on the slow and boring side. It seemed to be a low-budget movie... really very little on effects... other then a couple of ok effects towards the end of the movie. This is not one I could feel good about recommending to anyone.

Well... it wasn't a very good start to my marathon this weekend. But at least it has no where to go but up!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Witches & Warlocks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

The Craft
Sarah has always been different. So as the newcomer at St. Benedict's Academy, she immediately falls in with the high school outsiders. But these girls won't settle for being a group of powerless misfits. They have discovered THE CRAFT, and they are going to use it.

My Thoughts:
I know of a lot of people that never cared for this movie... but I always liked it. I have watched it several times... first on the bare bones release that was out... then on the special edition that I upgraded to. I think all 4 of the girls did a great job in this movie. Definitely an underrated movie... if you haven't checked it out yet... I highly recommend it!
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
I always liked that movie (The Craft). I don't know exactly why, but there is something in there I really love. And I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with Robin Tunney  ( :drooling: :drooling: ) or Neve Campbell ( :drooling: :drooling: ) being in it.

:whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »
LOL... Oh... I am sure!  :whistle:

not that I can say much myself!  :drooling:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
Tomorrow is the day of all days. I will do a Witches & Wizards weekend. But with a book instead of DVDs. :D
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Yeah... I am kind of hoping my daughter's copy comes today. Of course she don't even know she is getting it yet. Wanted to surprise her with it.

Best part of it... I didn't even have to buy it... a friend of mine wanted to buy it for her.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:15:45 PM »

Bay Cove
(AKA: Bay Coven, Eye of the Demon, Strangers in Town, The Devil of Bay Cove)
When Linda and Jerry LeBon move to the quiet and peaceful community of Bay Cove, they welcome the town's centuries old charm, virtually untouched by the conventions of modern life.
But something is different about the small village; something dark is lurking in the shadows. As Linda begins to explore, she discovers that all the townspeople are members of a deadly witch's coven - and as they await the reincarnation of their leader at the next full moon, they are searching for their next human sacrifice...

My Thoughts:
This is a 1987 TV Movie that stars Pamela Sue Martin (TV's Nancy Drew). I first saw this movie when I got the DVD free about last year. And let me say... I really loved this one. Her new neighbor Beatrice is played by Barbara Billingsley (Leave it to Beaver). And then there is her best friend played by Woody Harrelson (Cheers). Another familiar face from TV was James B. Sikking (Doogie Howser, M.D.) If you never seen this one... I would suggest putting it into your rentals queue... and if you like it... you can find it cheap online pretty easy.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »

Warlock
Boston. 1691. The gallows await the Warlock (JULIAN SANDS). What was an apparent triumph of Witch Hunter Giles Redferne (RICHARD E. GRANT), is short lived as the Warlock escapes and is hurled 300 years into the future. Now, say a prayer for the City of Angels, for it is here in Los Angeles where he begins the task of reuniting three portions of the Devil's Book that will reveal the secret name of God. If spoken, all creation will be destroyed. Redferne, who is also transported, enlists the aid of Kassandra (LORI SINGER), who has miraculously escaped the Warlock's wrath. But the carnage has begun as the Warlock successfully unites the first two sections. The final portion is buried in an old Boston cemetery...in Redferne's grave! It is on these hallowed grounds where evil magic will confront the strength of righteousness with the future of mankind at stake.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I have always liked a lot. I think Julian Sands did a wonderful job as the Warlock. There is a couple unfortunate points on this DVD... first and foremost... the thing is P&S!  :voodoo: And the other thing is there is very little extras on this disc... all you get is some trailers and filmographies. Maybe with any luck there will be a special edition release for it before too long of a wait. Anyway... great movie.... terrible dvd release! What is one to do? I got this one for my birthday from a good friend last year.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 03:14:38 PM »

Warlock:The Armageddon
He's back and meaner than ever! Stan's only son the "Warlock" ('Julian Sands'), is plotting even greater mayhem in this spinetingling, pulse pounding shocker! The Warlock's single goal is to free his father from the fiery chains that imprison him and unleash Satan's wrath upon the world. The only ones who can prevent complete world destruction are two warriors ('Chris Young and Paula Marshall') - who alone possess the supernatural powers to challenge the Warlock and stop the inevitable Armageddon. They must outsmart and defeat the Warlock before the prophesied eclipse, sending Satan and his son back to Hell.

My Thoughts:
This was a good sequel... I really enjoyed it... but I do prefer the first one over this one. I liked how they had the teenage couple as Druid Warriors... gave the warlock someone to fight that also had powers. As for the disc itself... quality was good.. but the extras sucked... all you get is the trailer.
Pete

SailorRipley

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »
Hmm... I watched the original Warlock ages ago, and while I didn't think too much of it, I had no idea there was a sequel... or is it like a reimagining? I remember the Warlock being REALLY dead on the 1st one.

On a second note, how I loathe the blabber text on the back covers... "He's back and meaner than ever!" Who write these things?!?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 06:01:01 PM »
There is actually a third part also. Which I will probably watch next... I don't remember ever watching the 3rd one.

But if you didn't think too much of the first one... don't think you would care much for the sequels either.

In part 1 he is after the Grand Grimour (Sp?)... Satan's bible that can undo all of creation... in the second one he is after 5 stones that when used together will open a gateway to Hell. Not sure off the top of my head what the 3rd one is about.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »

Warlock 3: End of Innocents
Over 300 years ago, a demonic Warlock tried unsuccessfully to sacrifice the offspring of a witch in an attempt to create his eternal bride of darkness. But his plan failed and he was banished, until now...
Determined to learn more about the family she never knew, Kris Miller (Ashley Laurence) and her college friends decide to spend her weekend in the abandoned 16th century mansion that was left to Kris as part of her inheritance. Their weekend getaway is interrupted by a mysterious stranger (Bruce Payne) with an evil agenda. Slowly, he begins to prey upon each of Kris’ friends, manipulating their vulnerabilities and weaknesses with horrific torture. Yet his true unfinished business lies with Kris.

Trapped in a living hell, Kris must escape the Warlock or become the ultimate sacrifice for the satanic race.

My Thoughts:
I went into this one thinking I never seen it before... but I have. I saw this one years ago when it first came out... while working at the video store... getting all those free rentals I was seeing everything but remembering very little. And that is what happen to me on this one. I did like the movie... but not quite as much as the first 2. First thing is I missed Julian Sands as the Warlock. Bruce Payne did a good job... but it just wasn't the same. The DVD itself has good audio and video quality... but once again basically no extras what so ever... all you get is the trailer. This is a DVD I got from a good friend of mine for my birthday a couple months ago.
Pete