Author Topic: Kinsey (2004) UPC#024543-175032  (Read 3423 times)

RossRoy

Kinsey (2004) UPC#024543-175032
« on: June 24, 2007, 04:02:19 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO

Title: Kinsey
Year: 2004
Director: Bill Condon
Rating: US: R - Canada: 18A - Quebec: 13+ (TV-Y7)
Length: 118 Min.
Video:  Anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:  English DTS 5.1, English DD 5.1, French and Spanish DD surround, Commentary DD surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish. Closed Captioned.

Stars:
Liam Neeson, Laura Linney

Plot:
A look at the life of Alfred Kinsey, a pioneer in the area of human sexuality research, whose 1948 publication "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" was one of the first recorded works that saw science address sexual behavior.

Extras (not viewed):
   1. Full-length audio commentary by writer/cirector Bill Condon
   2. The Kinsey Report: Sex on Film
   3. 20 Deleted Scenes and Original Ending with Optional Commentary
   4. Gag reel
   5. Sex Ed. at The Kinsey Institute
   6. Interactive Sex Questionnaire

WHAT I THINK OF IT
Audio:
"The doctors say my heart sounds like a cement mixer."

Being a mostly dialog driven movie, with not a lot of action, there's really not much to say about the audio track. The inclusion of DTS is somewhat puzzling, as I couldn't hear much difference, other than maybe the DTS being recorded louder. The dialog is clear throughout the movie. The music must've done its job wonderfully as I never really noticed it. Nothing here to impress your friends on your brand new receiver, but it does its job for this movie.

Video:
"Love is the answer, isn't it? But, sex raises a lot of very interesting questions..."

Again, nothing earth shattering here. I didn't notice anything in the visuals that was distracting, but since I'm not watching the movie looking for faults, I will not see them. I noticed some grain in the black and white parts of the movie, but it was probably intentional.

Movie:
"I always thought ugly was an ugly word."

I really enjoyed this movie. Kinsey is an interesting, if a little blunt at times, look at a man that dared defy the "morality" of his time. He dared put into writing the most intimate of details on what people will do behind curtains. The movie can be funny at times, especially in the beginning. But it then gets tragic as you witness all the difficulties brought forth by one man's obsession with a completely natural, yet almost completely demonized act. What he sees as a simple study of human behaviour, most people see as a devious obsession, and will be shocked in public. But as Kinsey's study shows, what they will do when all alone in the privacy of their homes ...

You know, after watching this film, with a story that takes places in the 1940-1950 era, it is amazing how little has changed. The society as a whole is still very rigid towards sex (take the Janet Jackson incident), yet, sex is plastered all over the place. Clothes or just about any type of ads, music videos, cinema, the internet. The amount of hypocrisy these days regarding sex is really mind boggling.

Guess some things will never change.. No matter how many Alfred Kinsey the world gets.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:05:04 PM by RossRoy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Kinsey (2004) UPC#024543-175032
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
Thanks Ross... I never even heard of this movie before this review!  :P
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
Thanks Ross... I never even heard of this movie before this review!  :P

That's the point of reviews! Entice people to see stuff you like that they might not even have heard of! Well, that's how I see it anyway  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
LOL... yes... very true
Pete

SailorRipley

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:52:49 AM »
This film has been on my wish list for a long time, and I think it's time to get it. Thanks for the great review, Ross!

Personally I've never understood the very rigid attitudes towards sex or sex in the movies. Why is it that it is still taboo? I mean, we all have sex, it's just part of our lives, why do we have to hide it? The Janet Jackson hypocrisy incident strikes me as particularly ridiculous. Oooh, a nipple, let's make a huge deal out of it. Come on!

I remember reading somewhere about how films that deal with sex or have sexual elements as of late usually tank big at the box office, yet when they turn on DVD they are more than able to make their money back. So, we publicly condemn these movies at the theater yet we relish on them at home. I think it's pretty sad that in this age, this whole closed door attitude is worse than ever.