Author Topic: Ghost Whisperer Marathon  (Read 14758 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Ghost Whisperer Marathon
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:30:27 AM »
Ghost Whisperer Marathon
This is a series that I was absolutely hooked on every since the pilot episode originally aired. This series made me a fan of the lovely Jennifer Love Hewitt. Today while going through my collection I realized I haven't watched any episodes... especially the first season episodes... in a very long time. What better an excuse to do a marathon!

Ghost Whisperer: The Complete First Season
Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) is a young newlywed with the unique gift to communicate with spirits of people who have died - a talent that was inherited from her grandmother.

The dead seek out Melinda's ability to help them relay significant messages and information to the living. Despite her fear, compassion compels her to help these earthbound spirits cross over by completing their unfinished business with the living. Relive these amazing journeys in all 22 first-season episodes.

Disc 1:

1. PILOT
Melinda is haunted by the spirit of a restless soldier who died 30 years ago in Vietnam. She helps the veteran and his living son find closure.

My Thoughts:
The episode that started it all... the one that had me hooked on this show from the first time it aired. I liked that this one was about helping a fallen soldier.  It makes your patriotic side care about the show as well. I thought this episode really set what this show was to be about very well. I also like that even though this is a series that is more of a drama then anything... they still can make it eerie. This is a show about ghosts and that does have a scary side to it. And I felt they did a good job at balancing the two.

2. THE CROSSING
A boy, killed in a train accident, gets Melinda to find and convince the boy's mother that it was not her fault.

My Thoughts:
Another really good episode. This one don't really have any eerie feeling to it what so ever... but it does deal with the death of a very young boy. A 6yr. old. So this episode really leans much more on the drama side of the series. In this episode we also meet Jim's (Melinda's husband) mother.

3. GHOST, INTERRUPTED
Following her twin sister's death, a young girl's strange behavior gets her placed in a psychiatric facility. Melinda discovers the girl's dead twin is haunting her and must help the sisters reconcile.

My Thoughts:
Not only is the main storyline really good... the side story on this one is excellent. it deals with Melinda remembering when she was young and what she went through when she lost her grandmother. Her grandmother could also see ghosts... and taught Melinda all she knows about them.

4. MENDED HEARTS
A dead triathlete enlists Melinda to save the life of his suicidal fiancée, by helping her find closure and new love with the man who received his donated heart.

My Thoughts:
This is a good... but somewhat standard episode. It is my least favorite on the first disc. But that is not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did. I just found this story not of the same caliber as the first 3. I found the ghost of the nurse that helped Melinda in the hospital pretty eerie... so it was good to see that back a little.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Whisperer Marathon
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
Disc 2:

5. LOST BOYS
While cleaning the basement of an old inn, Melinda finds the lost spirits of three boys that died in an orphanage fire 50 years ago. She must help the boys pass on before the inn is destroyed and they become eternally earth-bound spirits.

My Thoughts:
This remains to be one of my favorite episode. I really liked the story behind it... even if it was obvious who the old man that bought the old inn was.

6. HOMECOMING
Melinda assists an upset teenage ghost and learns something that will affect the lives of everyone the boy left behind.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... deals with a teen trying to find his birth mother but dies before he gets the chance.

7. HOPE AND MERCY
A woman who died during pregnancy can't cross over until her husband stops blaming himself. Plus, Andrea meets a con artist who discovers a surprise about her past.

My Thoughts:
A good... but somewhat standard episode. But I did enjoy the set up for the next episode at the end of this one.

8. ON THE WINGS OF A DOVE
Five years after his father's death, Jim begins acting strangely. Melinda notices and believes the problem is caused by his tortured spirit. Painful memories are brought back when she is surprised by a visit from a friend (Estella Warren).

My Thoughts:
This episode was enjoyable... was good to see Melinda's husband more in the thick of things. Now he gets an idea of what Melinda has to endure.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »
Disc 3:

9. VOICES
Melinda has a horrible side effect upon meeting a spirit who communicates only via electronic devices. She assists the spirit in hopes of relieving her own ailments. Jim's mother brings an unexpected guest.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. I especially like the fact that this episode has a guest star in it that was a star on one of my other favorite series. It guest stars John M. Jackson (Admiral Chegwidden on JAG).

10. GHOST BRIDE
An evil spirit in a wedding gown tries to destroy the wedding of Melinda's friend Lisa. Melinda learns the spirit was supposed to marry Lisa's fiancée the day she died.

My Thoughts:
Even though this is a good episode... it is not one of my favorites. It is actually a pretty standard episode. Nothing extraordinary about it.

11. SHADOW BOXER
A recently dead woman will not pass over until her son, a boxer, reconciles with his father. Melinda helps the family comes to terms with their loss.

My Thoughts:
This is also a pretty standard episode... but I did enjoy it more then the previous one. Definitely enjoyed it.

12. UNDEAD COMIC
Melinda meets the spirit of a comic who committed suicide and guides him towards making amends with those he left behind.

My Thoughts:
This is a really good episode... I enjoyed every minute of it. But that could be because I do enjoy stand up comedy quite a bit. This one also has a guest star I am familiar with... Katey Sagal... Peg Bundy on Married with Children.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »
Disc 4:

13. FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD GHOST
A new neighbor moves in and requests Melinda's aid in ridding the place of an uninvited spirit.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good episode... but not one of my favorites. I found the story to be just a little bit disappointing.

14. LAST EXECUTION
After a spirit follows Melinda home, she discovers he is looking for his troubled daughter who's been having serious problems since his death.

My Thoughts:
Once again not a favorite episode. But a decent one... pretty much a standard story. Didn't keep my attention as much as I would have liked.

15. MELINDA'S FIRST GHOST
Melinda must reconcile with her own mother before she can save the spirit of a young girl, the very first ghost she ever saw!

My Thoughts:
Now this is an exceptional episode.... I enjoyed every second of it. I really liked how it touched on how young Melinda was when she first started to see ghosts and how it was handled at the time. This has to be one of my favorites.

16. DEAD MAN'S RIDGE
Andrea enlists Melinda in finding a missing friend who disappeared while on a hike.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I really liked a lot. Andrea got a real taste of what it is like to be haunted in this episode. And I loved her reaction to the whole thing.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »
Disc 5:

17. DEMON CHILD
Melinda encounters a malicious young boy's spirit who is terrorizing his family. She takes on the challenge of helping this troubled child find peace and cross over.

My Thoughts:
This is a great episode... I don't know what it is... but for some reason I really like the episodes that deals with kids on this show. This episode guest stars Lori Loughlin (Becky on Full House).

18. MISS FORTUNE
The bitter ghost of a magician accuses his envious brother of causing his death and covering it up as an accident. It's up to Melinda to facilitate a reconciliation between the brothers.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but nothing really special about it. It takes place at a carnival... I think it would have been better if we got to saw more carnie worker ghosts... it didn't seem like they too full advantage of what they could have done with it. But as I said... over-all it was a good episode.

19. FURY
Melinda must assist the ghost of a murdered African-American man find justice. She helps his son overcome his racist views before they are passed on to another generation.

My Thoughts:
Not really one of my favorites... but a decent enough episode.

20. THE VANISHING
A head injury caused by an accident puts Melinda's abilities at risk. She may have permanently lost her gift as she attempts to aid a young girl whose boyfriend has recently passed away.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode. Beyond the single episode storyline... it really starts setting up for the season finale. In this episode Melinda realizes just how important her gift is to her when she thinks she has lost it forever.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Disc 6:

21. FREE FALL
The spirits of a pilot and flight attendant contact Melinda. She experiences a sense of dread over the possibility of a plane crash.

My Thoughts:
This is the first part of the season finale... not to mention a great episode. I enjoyed every second of it. Even though they tried well enough to cover it up... I remember the first time I saw this episode... I instantly knew the twist. Which kinda sucked since I hated to see that situation happen.

22. THE ONE
After a jetliner crashes Melinda faces the overwhelming task of helping hundreds of passengers cross over. "Wide Brim Hat Man" is working against her. She must work with the crash investigators who try to find out how she knew the plane was going to crash.

My Thoughts:
This is a great ending to the first season.... naturally this takes over right where the last episode left off. Through-out this episode they hinted at the big twist I mentioned in the last episode... then at the end of the episode they revealed it.I whole time I first watched this episode I kept telling myself I knew I was right.

Season One Over-All Thoughts:
This is a really great show that had me hooked since the very first episode. This show made me a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt. I knew of her before this show... but was never that much impressed with her till I saw her in this role. Know I think she is really good. They did a good job on this release as well. I love the packaging... 3 Thinkpak cases with 2 discs in each in a slip case. The way boxsets should be done! Plus they give you a nice selection of extras as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
Ghost Whisperer: The Second Season
Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) has the ability to communicate with the earthbound spirits of people who died, providing deeply moving and important closure for them and their loved ones.

This season Melinda and her husband, Jim Claney, (David Conrad) are joined by new friend and employee Delia Banks (Camryn Manheim), as Melinda battles the dark forces taking over her beloved town of Grandview. Discover her unbelievable adventure in all 22 second-season episodes.

Disc 1:

1. LOVE NEVER DIES
NOTE: The plot for this one gives a huge season 1 spoiler... if you have not seen all of season 1 yet... do not look!
(click to show/hide)

My Thoughts:
This is a really good episode. I love the fact that it continues right where season 1 left off. Melinda works extra hard on helping this week's ghost cross over.

2. LOVE STILL WON'T DIE
The guy that broke up with Melinda years ago when she revealed her gift to him is now haunting her. And Melinda meets a new friend, realitor Delia Banks.

My Thoughts:
Not a great episode... but definitely good. We see in this episode another reason why Melinda is very careful about who she tells her secret to.

3. DROWNED LIVES
Melinda and Jim befriend a couple whose house is haunted by the ghost of a little girl who drowned, and who's waiting for the return of the father who left her.

My Thoughts:
Great Episode! I don't know why... but for some reason I really enjoy the episodes where the ghost is a young kid. I guess there is something more eerie about kid ghosts.

4. THE GHOST WITHIN
New store employee Delia buys some ornaments that a quiet ghostwants Melinda to examine. It's only later that Melinda realizes he's autistic.

My Thoughts:
This one is just ok in my opinion... I found it to be a little on the slow side. I actually caught myself starting to dose off on this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
Disc 2:

5. A GRAVE MATTER
On Halloween, Melinda is visited by the ghost of an author who claims he is in the wrong grave, while Delia is visited by a ghostlooking for her handbag.

My Thoughts:
Ohhhh a Halloween episode. I just love Halloween episodes of TV Series! This is a really good one... even though they do downplay Halloween in it. Kinda just in the background. The story was good though.

6. THE WOMAN OF HIS DREAMS
Jim is haunted by a beautiful model who died having plastic surgery, and who may be trying to warn her younger sister not to follow in her footsteps.

My Thoughts:
a good episode. This time it is Jim's turn to help a ghost... only Melinda isn't around much to help him out! She is visiting her mother... who just had an operation herself.

7. A VICIOUS CIRCLE
While camping with Jim, Melinda encounters a mother who died in a snowstorm, who is determined to protect the daughter she supposedly abandoned.

My Thoughts:
A good episode... but not great. I think it could have been better.

8. THE NIGHT WE MET
Melinda worries that the ghost of a man who died in a fire may now be an arsonist. She's also worried that Jim forgot the anniversary of the night they met.

My Thoughts:
This episode I liked a lot... not only is it a good story when it comes to the ghost... but I also really enjoyed seeing how Melinda and Jim got together. And I loved how Jim toyed with Melinda... acting like he forgot the anniversary of when they met. Something like I would do... used to make Dawn (my late wife) nuts!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »
Disc 3:

9. The Curse of the Ninth
A brilliant musician finds himself surrounded by two ghosts: his critical composer father, and his old bandmate who died in a plane crash.

My Thoughts:
A decent... but somewhat standard episode. Even though it is enjoyable... it really didn't impress me that much. Maybe there was just too much music in it for my taste.

10. Giving Up the Ghost
in order to get back at his former coach, whom he holds responsible for his death, the spirit of a baseball player inhabits the body of a team's star pitcher.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... but once again... nothing really all that special in my opinion. Just a good standard episode.

11. Cat's Claw
Melinda considers telling Professor Payne her secret now that a ghost has followed his colleague back from the jungle, where he was left for dead.

My Thoughts:
This one I really liked... enjoyed every minute of it. We knew it would only be a matter of time before Melinda would have to tell Professor Payne her secret what with how much she was running to him with questions. Just like it is only a matter of time before she will have to tell Delia.

12. Dead to Rights
The spirit of a man in a coma contacts Melinda about the pain he is in, watching his wife in a legal battle with his parents to take him off life support.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I really liked a lot. I couldn't imagine having to deal with such a situation. When do you say it is time to stop life support for someone... and let nature take it's course?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
Disc 4:

13. Deja Boo
A young man who has died fears he is going to be reincarnated as the baby of Melinda's girlfriend, so he tries to stop the pregnancy.

My Thoughts:
Good episode. This is the first (and only... so far?) time the series touches on the idea of reincarnation. I liked they way they portrayed all of his past lives to Melinda. Made for an interesting episode.

14. Speed Demon
The ghost of a street racer has it in for his old girlfriend, now a racing champ. He believes she killed him in a race one year ago - and now he wants revenge!

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. Enjoyed the street racing in it. Seeing the young boy (Delia's son... forget name) sneaking out the way he did makes me as a parent worry a little. My daughter is 12yrs old... how long will it be before she starts trying something like this?

15. Mean Ghost
The Vengeful spirit of a cheerleader is attacking her former squad one by one. But Melinda learns that another girl at school may have wanted her dead.

My Thoughts
Another really good episode that I enjoyed a lot. I liked how they took a little look into Melinda's teen years... and what she had to go through in high school with her gift. I found it interesting how they could do up Jennifer Love Hewitt to look like a teen so well... without having to get a younger actress to play the part. I mean she does look young... but I wasn't expecting that to work as well as it did.

16. The Cradle Will Rock
A jewelry store employee who was killed, and is the only one who knows where stolen money is hidden, orders Melinda to get a message to his wife...or else!

My Thoughts:
Yet another good episode. A good episode story... but also... after a several episode break from it.. at the end of the episode it also touches on the season long arc again. Of course that is to be expected as there is only 6 episodes left in the season. I imagine for the most part the rest of the episodes will be used to close out the season long arc.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 12:58:18 AM »
Disc 5:

17. The Walk In
The corpse of a former high school quarterback is possessed by another ghost, a wheel-chair bound boy who wants topass as a popular kid at their reunion

My Thoughts:
This was a fun episode. A ghost taken over a dead body... giving us a zombie. A really interesting concept.

18. Children of Ghosts
Melinda turns to a dog whisperer for help when Homer the dog returns. And a teenage girl haunted by a threatening spirit comes to stay with Melinda and Jim.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. The girl's life is really turned upside down when she finds out the truth about herself. I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that.

19. Delia's First Ghost
As Delia starts dating other men, her son Ned is haunted by a ghost, but Melinda's not sure how to handle the situation without telling Delia about her abilities.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good episode... although a bit on the standard side. It was about time Melinda would have to tell Delia about herself.... at least this time they mixed up how she took the info. It took longer then normal for acceptance.

Disc 6:

20. The Collector
Melinda meets Gabriel, a man with similar abilities. and discovers his connection to Professor Payne's wife.Later, she learns he has a different plan for the dead.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... by here we are really getting to the meat of the season long arc. I really like how they showed how someone could take advantage of having an ability like Melinda has. Made for an interesting episode.

21. The Prophet
A Prophet Ghost shows visions of disaster to Melinda, who grows concerned for Delia's safety. And Melinda's fellow Ghost Whisperer is back.

My Thoughts:
The first part of the two part season finale. Definitely enjoyed it... but it wasn't spectacular. Possibly because it was only the first half of the story.

22. The Gathering
Melinda and Professor Payne desperately try to figure out the mythological clues left by the Prophet Ghost, who predicted that the spirit world is getting stronger.

My Thoughts:
Definitely the better half of the season finale. Even though I have seen these episodes before (twice before to be exact)... I still felt the excitement of the ending of this season.

Over-All Season 2 Thoughts:
Really a good season of Ghost Whisperer. This season is a bit darker then the first... which heightened the enjoyment for me over-all. But as good as I felt this season ended. I thought the first season had the stronger season finale. And that is saying something as I really enjoyed this one.

Well... that brings my Ghost Whisperer marathon to an end... as the third season is not on DVD yet. I do look forward to getting it when it does come out though.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Think I will bring this marathon back up... and watch the season 3 set now that I have it in my collection. I don't plan on watching it straight through non-stop.... but will review the episodes a disc at a time... as I do watch them.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Ghost Whisperer: The Third Season
The hit CBS drama Ghost Whisperer plunges into new territory, literally rocking the foundation of the series. At the end of season two Melinda (Jennifer Love Hewitt) met the ghost of her estranged father, who told her she has a brother. Melinda's search for the truth of her family history grows ever more complex and dangerous when she learns that her roots are bound to the roots of Grandview itself. Melinda and husband Jim (David Conrad) begin to wonder whether this small town they chose for its peace and tranquility might have actually chosen them. With the help of occult expert Professor Payne (Jay Mohr) and loyal but skeptical friend Delia (Camryn Manheim), Melinda digs for answers. She discovers that in the town's desperation to bury its own dark past, a whole other world was left festering literally beneath their feet. Journey with Melinda as she uncovers the mysteries of Grandview in all 18 third-season episodes.

Episodes:
1. The Underneath
2. Don't Try This at Home
3. Haunted Hero
4. No Safe Place
5. Weight of What Was
6. Double Exposure
7. Unhappy Medium
8. Bad Blood
9. All Ghosts Lead to Grandview
10. Holiday Spirit
11. Slam
12. First Do No Harm
13. Home But Not Alone
14. The Gravesitter
15. Horror Show
16. Deadbeat Dads
17. Stranglehold
18. Pater Familias
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »
Ghost Whisperer: The Third Season: Disc 1

1. The Underneath
Oriignal Alrdate 09/28/2007
A vision of her long-lost father gives Melinda a peek into Grandview's haunted underworld. Meanwhile, her mother's past actions may have provoked a ghost.

My Thoughts:
A good episode to set up the season long arc. Entertaining story.

My Ratings:

2. Don't Try This at Home
Original Airdate 10/5/2007
The legend of "Bloody Mary" surfaces in Grandview when two college girls at Professor Payne's campus are found in a state of shock.

My Thoughts:
I love this one... it is one of my favorites of the entire series. Of course this could be because I always liked the Bloody Mary legend.

My Ratings:

3. Haunted Hero
Original Airdate 10/12/2007
Jim's soldier buddy comes home after two tours in Iraq, but brings with him the ghosts of his men who were killed while under his command.

My Thoughts:
This is another really good story... a powerful story about soldiers dying on the battlefield with the only survivor coming back home. With fallen allies bringing him peace from the guilt he feels... with the help of Melinda of course. I enjoyed every minute of it.

My Ratings:

Extras on this Disc:
- Commentary on The Underneath
- Animated Short
- Welcome to the Underworld
- The Other Side II Webisodes
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 11:23:15 PM »
Well... that was weird. I popped in disc 2 of the set... and it refused to load. I took it out of the machine and looked at it. And it looked clean as a whistle. So I tried putting it back in... and nope... still wouldn't load. So I took it out... and thought well let me try to clean it anyway. And even though it couldn't have looked cleaner... cleaning the disc worked. Thankfully because I would have been upset if that disc didn't work now!
Pete