Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 2904 times)

Najemikon

The Dark Knight
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
The Dark Knight
5 out of 5

This film deserves all the praise that has been heaped upon it and more. An overhyped movie that lives up to the hype with an ambitious character driven story that goes against comic book movie formula. It's a clever, layered story that gets to the heart of several characters, using The Joker as a centre-point. A straight comic adaptation would rank amongst the best Batman stories, and that never happens; for instance X-Men 2 was fantastic, but the story wouldn't hold up against the originals. Nor would either of the Spider-Man films (what do you mean there were three? I meant "good" Spider-Man films). This could because it's so well balanced amongst the key characters.

If I have a gripe it's that
(click to show/hide)

Heath Ledger's Joker is as good as you have heard and probably better. The role will be remembered for years, but the best roles are a part of a film, not the focus, and it's a tribute the quality of this story that he doesn't take it over. The rest of the cast held their own and the story is pretty equally shared, revolving around The Joker's anarchy, not unlike Seven. That isn't a lazy comparision.
(click to show/hide)

Actually, The Joker is a good enough villain to have worked in a traditional thriller, but then we'd have to do without Christian Bale's Batman. It's still his film and hopefully, his trilogy. There aren't many good part 3s, but Christopher Nolan could pull it off.

One of the very best comic adaptations, cutting straight to the motivation of each well played character, with a solid story to back them up.

:thumbup:

lyonsden5

Re: The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:08:32 AM »
thanks for using the spoiler tag Jon (not that I had any doubt when I clicked in).

I'm actually planning on seeing this one myself in the theater late next week. It's been years since a movie has drawn me in to actually going see it and not wait for the DVD. I look forward to reading what you have said about it after next week.

:yu:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
Rick, if you have an IMAX near you, I highly recommend that over a regular cinema. The film is the same, they just have some neat expanded images in the IMAX...

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
Thanks Achim  :thumbup: I'll actually be out of town when I see it. Goin on a bit of a vacation  :clap: I'll look in the town where I will be staying to see if they have an IMAX theater nearby.