Author Topic: Christmas 2016  (Read 29413 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Christmas 2016
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:08:22 AM »

Christmas 2016
To try to get in the Christmas spirit a little.... I decided to start this marathon a little early. Granted I haven't liked Christmas much since my wife passed away right before many years ago. But I am really trying to get myself out of it. This year for the first time in years that I have actually been able to buy Christmas presents... though not able to spend much per person. So that does help the matter a little. I will be able to watch movies and wrap presents... just like I used to years ago. :)

For this marathon I will be watching movies and Christmas episodes from my DVD/Blu-ray collection... from Netflix... Amazon Prime... and Vudu. Not to mention some from Danae Cassandra's collection. So basically any way I find them! :P And let me tell you... I have many Christmas movies and TV episodes on disc alone... to many to list here. So I will have more then enough to watch... plus hope to get a few new ones added to my collection within the next month as well.

There will be no goal set on what to watch... though I may keep a running tally of how many of each I watch... possibly setting a goal for next year.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:14 AM »
The Family Stone: Widescreen (2005/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Thomas Bezucha
Writing:Thomas Bezucha (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Claire Danes as Julie Morton
Diane Keaton as Sybil Stone
Rachel McAdams as Amy Stone
Dermot Mulroney as Everett Stone
Craig T. Nelson as Kelly Stone

Plot:
An incredible all-star cast shines in this deliriously funny comedy that "balances heart and humor" (Houston Chronicle) with a "sharp comic edge" (Rolling Stone)! Featuring Sarah Jessica Parker in a Golden Globe® -nominated* role, The Family Stone is "engaging, enticing [and] first-rate" (Los Angeles Times)!

Corporate executive Meredith Morton (Sarah Jessica Parker) is as uptight and ultra-conservative as her pin-striped designer suit. Her boyfriend Everett Stone's (Dermot Mulroney) family is as relaxed and quirky as their aging New England Colonial. So when Meredith ventures out of Manhattan to meet Everett's clan, it's no wonder her arrival is met with all the enthusiasm of a nasty Nor'easter. But one surprise guest, two shocking romances and several beers later, Meredith's icy exterior begins to thaw...and she may just melt the hearts of the Family Stone!

*2005: Actress in a Musical or Comedy

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Recipe

My Thoughts:

While I have had this film in my collection for years... this is the first time I ever got around to watching it. I found it to be an entertaining film that was well worth the time put in to watch it... but I found it to be very predictable. Too predictable really. But the journey to get to the ending I already seen coming a mile away is enjoyable.There is many big names in this one, which also added to the enjoyment.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
Miracle on 34th Street (1994/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Les Mayfield
Writing:George Seaton (Original Material By), Valentine Davies (Story By), George Seaton (Screenwriter), John Hughes (1950) (Screenwriter)
Length:114 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.0, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kathrine Narducci as Mother
Mary McCormack [Mary C. McCormack] as Myrna Foy
Alvin Greenman as The Doorman
Allison Janney as The Woman
Greg Noonan as Cmdr. Coulson

Plot:
In this modern update of the beloved 1947 film classic, six-year-old Susan has doubts about childhood's most enduring miracle — Santa Claus. But after meeting a special department store Santa who's convinced he's the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all — something to believe in. Starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson as Susan, this uplifting and joyous film will make believers out of the entire family!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is one remake that was done very well. I liked the cast... the story kept your attention through-out... and makes for a great film for the entire family during the Christmas holiday. That being said I do prefer the original over this one. I liked how they did the court case in the origin more so then I did here. And I did find the whole marriage thing a little hard to swallow. That being said... I definitely recommend this film. I know I will watch it every year for my Christmas marathon.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »

A Very Brady Christmas
Mike and Carol Brady decide to spend their savings on bringing their kids and relatives in for the holidays, but the kids are having their own problems: Greg (now a doctor) has to make the trip alone since his wife Nora is spending the holidays with her family; Peter is embarrassed to bring his girlfriend home since she is his boss; Bobby is hiding the fact that he dropped out of business grad school to race cars; Marcia's husband, Wally, has been laid off from his job at Tyler Toys; Jan and stuffy husband Phillip are separating; and Cindy is tired of the fact that mom and dad can't respect her as a grown woman. Just another day in the life of the Bradys.

My Thoughts:
For some reason I like the Brady Bunch reunion movies more then I do the actual series. This one in particular. For some reason this movie gets me in the mood for Christmas. Something that has been difficult for me the past several years. Seeing a large family celebrating Christmas of my childhood Holidays where I was the youngest child of a large family. It was fun to see most of the cast back after all the years that past. The reunion movies in this complete series set is the main reason I bought the complete series set... instead of the individual seasons. Since that is the only way to get them.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »

Miracle on 34th Street
Year of Release: 1994
Directed By: Les Mayfield
Starring: Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott, Mara Wilson
Genre: Drama

Overview:
In this modern update of the beloved 1947 film classic, six-year-old Susan has doubts about childhood's most enduring miracle — Santa Claus. But after meeting a special department store Santa who's convinced he's the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all — something to believe in. Starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson as Susan, this uplifting and joyous film will make believers out of the entire family!

My Thoughts:
This is a good remake, maybe one of the best remakes I've seen.  The original remains my favorite, but this is a worthy successor.  It mostly captures the warmth and heart of the original, and updating the story to focus on an independent store struggling against buyouts brings the modern world in.  Richard Attenborough and Mara Wilson turn in wonderful performances, and I rather liked Dylan McDermott as well. 

On the other hand, I never bought into the romance between McDermott and Elizabeth Perkins.  She comes off so very emotionally distant that it's frankly hard to understand why his character believes they are at the point of marriage proposals.  Equally, the court case is much better handled in the original film.

All that aside, this is still a very enjoyable Christmas movie and I would add it to my Christmas film rotation.  Don't know that I'm with Pete for watching it every year; I'll probably mix it up with the original the way I do with versions of A Christmas Carol.  But I certainly wouldn't mind adding it to my collection.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3.25/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »

Krampus (2015/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Dougherty
Writing:Todd Casey (Writer), Michael Dougherty (Writer), Zach Shields (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Emjay Anthony as Max
Adam Scott as Tom
Toni Collette as Sarah
Stefania Lavie Owen as Beth
Krista Stadler as Omi

Plot:
When his dysfunctional family clashes over the holidays, young Max is disillusioned and turns his back on Christmas. Little does he know, this lack of festive spirit has unleashed the wrath of Krampus: a demonic of ancient evil intent on punishing non-believers.

All hell breaks loose as beloved holiday icons take on a monstrous life of their own, laying siege to the fractured family's home and them to fight for each other if they hope to survive.

Featuring an ensemble cast that includes Adam Scott (TV's Parks and Recreation), Toni Collette (Little Miss Sunshine), Allison Tolman (TV's Fargo) and David Koechner (Anchorman), this is a wonderfully dark and subversive "must-see film." - WEGOTTHISCOVERED.COM

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Going by the trailer I wasn't sure what I would think of this one. But I must say... I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. It has a mixture of horror and comedy that I found a bit silly but entertaining. Some of the characters did get on my nerves a bit. And the ending was a little out there... but over all was worth the time put in to watch it. I definitely can see myself watching it again.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:31:16 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »

Celtic Woman: A Christmas Celebration
Year of Release: 2007
Director: Russell Thomas
Starring: Chloë Agnew, Lisa Kelly, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha , Órla Fallon, Máiréad Nesbitt
Genre: Music

Overview:
Carol of the Bells
Silent Night
White Christmas
Away in a Manger
Ding Dong Merrily on High
Little Drummer Boy
The Christmas Song
In the Bleak Midwinter
The First Noël
The Wexford Carol
Christmas Pipes
O Holy Night
Panis Angelicus
Green the Whole Year Round
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Don Oíche Úd I Mbeithil
O Come All Ye Faithful
Let It Snow!

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite Christmas concert DVDs.  These ladies have beautiful voices and do some of the best renditions of traditional carols I've heard.  I really want to get their other concert as well. 

Bechdel Test: N/A or Pass
Mako Mori Test: N/A

Overall: 3.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:57:15 PM »
Santa Baby (2006/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Lion's Gate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ron Underwood
Writing:Garrett Frawley (Writer), Brian Turner (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Spanish

Stars:
Lyle Edge as Street Santa
Jenny McCarthy as Mary Class
Kandyse McClure as Donna Campbell
Tobias Mehler as Grant Foley
Michael Moriarty as T J Hamilton

Plot:
Jenny McCarthy and George Wendt star in this heartwarming comedy about Santa Claus' daughter. When Santa Claus (George Wendt) gets too sick to run the toy shop, his workaholic daughter Mary (Jenny McCarthy) leaves behind her high-powered job in the city and heads north. Will Mary's new ideas and her relentless drive for efficiency save Christmas, or will Christmas need to save her first?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Ok... what did I think of this one? Jenny McCarthy... in some scenes I liked her... but yet in others it felt like she could have done better. I was surprised that I liked George Wendt as Santa. Don't get me wrong... I always liked George Wendt... he is always fun to watch... but for some reason he doesn't pop to my mind when I think of Santa. The movie was enough to keep my interest... even fun in parts. But I don't think it will become one of my favorites. I did however enjoy it enough to want to get a hold of the sequel. And yes... I can see myself watching it again. More or less an average film.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus (2004/United States)
Goodtimes Entertainment (United States)
Director:Harvey Frost
Writing:Pamela Wallace (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Nick
Crystal Bernard as Beth
Dominic Scott Kay as Jake
Thomas Calabro as Andrew
Armin Shimerman as Ernst

Plot:
Steve Guttenberg (Three Men and a Baby), Crystal Bernard (Wings), and Thomas Calabro (Melrose Place) star in a Christmas charmer about Santa's son and his search for a wife. Nick (Guttenberg) is due to replace his retiring father, and needs a Mrs. Claus, so Santa's advisor sends him down to Southern California. There he meets Beth Sawtelle (Bernard), a workaholic whose advertising job with Andrew West (Calabro) leaves precious little timefor her son, Jake (Dominic Scott Kay). Concealing his identity, Nick stars in a series of Christmas commercials for the agency as he tries to make sure Jake and Beth both believe in Santa Claus-no easy task in her case!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

This one I really enjoyed a lot. I enjoyed the storyline... I liked the cast. I basically found myself hooked from the very beginning of the movie. This one I can see myself watching every year at this time. This is a made for TV movie that originally aired on Lifetime. It is just a sweet and innocent holiday film. If you enjoy a good Christmas film this time of year I definitely recommend giving this one a chance. I don't think you will be sorry.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:44:24 AM »
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Classic Media, Vivendi Entertainment (United States)
Director:Larry Roemer
Writing:Romeo Muller (Writer), Robert May (1905) (Original Material By), Johnny Marks (Original Material By)
Length:52 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Burl Ives as Sam/Narrator
Larry Mann as Yukon Cornelius
Billy Richards as Rudolph
Paul Soles as Hermey
Stan Francis as Santa Claus

Plot:
Do you remember when...
Rudolph visited the Island of Misfit Toys, and Santa asked Rudolph to guide his sleigh on Christmas Eve? Share the magic of this Original Christmas Classic told and sung by Burl Ives!

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

This is a true Christmas Classic. One I have seen countles times every since I was a little kid and it aired on TV every year. I mean how can you not watch the likes of Rudolph this time of the year? The image and sound on this blu-ray is amazing... easily the best this one has ever looked and sound.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »
Santa Jr. (2003/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Goodtimes Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kevin Connor
Writing:Marc Hershon (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Lauren Holly as Susan Flynn
Judd Nelson as Darryl Bedford
Nick Stabile as Chris Kringle, Jr.
George Wallace (1952) as Norm Potter
Ed Gale as Stan

Plot:
Nick Stabile (Popular) is Santa's son in a heart-warming holiday tale about the family business, starring Lauren Holly (Dumb and Dumber) and Golden Globe nominee Judd Nelson (Billionaire Boys Club). Mistaken for the "Christmas Bandit" bedeveling San Diego, Chris Kringle, Jr. is picked up by cops Darryl Bedford (Nelson) and his partner, Norm Potter (George Wallace), while trying to deliver some Yuletide gifts. He's placed under house arrest in the home of his public defender, Susan Baily (Holly), who begins to believe in the Christmas Spirit--and even tries to persuade the skeptical Darryl--but Chris sees no evidence of it. The fate of Christmas depends on his finding it, with the help of a fiesty elf named Stan (Ed Gale),in this merry and magical family feature, directed by Kevin Connor (Diane: Her True Story).

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be entertaining... and a little different then most Christmas movies as you really don't get to see Santa himself all that much... and even the one short scene he is on the screen he has no dialog. This one focuses solely on his son. There is a couple familiar faces in this one as well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:38:42 AM »

The Flash: Season 3 Episode 9 - The Present
Barry heads for Earth-3 to get advice from Jay Garrick on how to stop Savitar; Wally tells Barry he's been training with H.R.; old wounds are reopened as Cisco faces Christmas without Dante.

My Thoughts:
This was a very good episode. It has both good action and a good story. And I liked how they worked in the Christmas holiday. Though there is definitely a huge cliffhanger on this one.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:46:16 AM »
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol: Collector's Edition (1962/United States)

Classic Media, Vivendi Entertainment (United States)
Director:Abe Levitow
Writing:Charles Dickens (Original Material By), Barbara Chain (Screenwriter)
Length:52 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jim Backus as Mister Magoo
Morey Amsterdam as Brady/James
Jack Cassidy as Bob Cratchit
Royal Dano as Marley's Ghost
Paul Frees as Various

Plot:
This musical adaptation of the classic tale by Charles Dickens, stars Magoo as the cold-hearted old miser, Ebenezer Scrooge. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol™ was the first-ever animated holiday special created for television.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Gallery
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Song Demo, Commorative Booklet, Movie Still

My Thoughts:

While Mr. Magoo does hold a nostalgic place in my heart... this is not one of my favorite Christmas specials. I mean it is ok and I do want to add this one to my own collection eventually as well. But to me this special wasn't all that. I think my main problem with this one is that it is way too much music... and at least some of the songs that are in it is in it more then once. Which I think is a little much when it comes to a show that is less then an hour long.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 03:49:55 AM »
My count so far...

Movies: 8
Specials: 2
TV Eps.: 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
Scrooged (1988/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Richard Donner
Writing:Mitch Glazer (Writer), Michael O'Donoghue (Writer), Charles Dickens (Original Material By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Bill Murray as Frank Cross
Karen Allen as Claire Phillips
John Forsythe as Lew Hayward
John Glover as Brice Cummings
Bob Goldthwait [Bobcat Goldthwait] as Eliot Loudermilk

Plot:
Scrooged, the hilarious spin on Dickens' classic "A Christmas Carol," is now available on high-definition Blu-ray™! Bill Murray is television executive Frank Cross, the meanest, most selfish man on Earth. He will stop at nothing to increase his network's ratings, even if it means that his staff works on Christmas Eve. It will take three spirits – the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future – to show Frank that he needs to change. With an all-star cast including Karen Allen, John Forsythe, Carol Kane, Alfre Woodard and Robert Mitchum, and a memorable musical score from Danny Elfman, Scrooged will have your entire family rediscovering the true meaning of the holidays.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This is one I haven't seen in years. Finally got it in my collection. It is about as fun as I remember it being. It is a good spoof with lots of familiar faces. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete