Author Topic: The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition  (Read 25713 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
     Mad Max (1979/Australia)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:George Miller (1945)
Writing:James McCausland (Screenwriter), George Miller (1945) (Screenwriter), George Miller (1945) (Story By), Byron Kennedy (Story By)
Length:93 min.
Rating:R
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Mel Gibson as Max
Joanne Samuel as Jessie
Hugh Keays-Byrne as Toecutter
Steve Bisley as Jim Goose
Tim Burns as Johnny the Boy
Roger Ward as Fifi

Plot:
In the ravaged near future, a savage motorcycle gang rules the road. Terrorizing innocent civilians while tearing up the streets, the ruthless gang laughs in the face of a police force bent on stopping them. But they underestimate one officer: Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson). And when the bikers brutalize Max's best friend and family, they send him into a mad frenzy that leaves him with only one thing left in the world to live for – revenge!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I just finished this one. I originally wasn't sure if I seen this one before or not. Turns out I haven't. I was confusing this one with "The Road Warrior." The first thing I noticed is how young Mel Gibson was here... I didn't even recognize him at first. Though I shouldn't be surprised... this was made 35 years ago!

I have to say... I enjoyed every second of this film! Excellent from start to finish! It is filled with action and high speed car chases... what more can you ask? I now sit here and wonder how I managed to miss this one for all these years! If by chance you never seen this film... I couldn't recommend it any higher!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:11 AM »
     Die Hard (1988/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:John McTiernan
Writing:Roderick Thorp (Original Material By), Jeb Stuart (Screenwriter), Steven E. de Souza (Screenwriter)
Length:132 min.
Rating:R
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Bruce Willis as John McClane
Bonnie Bedelia as Holly Gennaro McClane
Reginald VelJohnson as Sgt. Al Powell
Paul Gleason as Dwayne T. Robinson
De'voreaux White as Argyle
William Atherton as Thornburg

Plot:
High above the city of L.A., a team of terrorists has seized a building, taken hostages, and declared war. But one man slips away unnoticed—an off-duty cop named John McClane (Bruce Willis)—and now he's the only chance anyone has. A crackling action thriller from beginning to end, Die Hard explodes with heart-stopping suspense!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Enhanced for D-Box

My Thoughts:
What can I say about Die Hard that hasn't been said a thousand times over already? It is an unbelievably fantastic action flick. An awesome hero going up against a brilliant criminal! I have watched this film over and over again... and still never tire of it. This is one film I believe is a must see for everyone!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:50 AM »
I haven't watched this one for a few years.  May be about time to watch it again.

One of the best action movies ever...with one of the best villains ever.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
Well I counted the days I have left... as well as the number of movies I have to watch... and I just don't see a way of catching up now. Looks like my first attempt to do a timed marathon failed. I blame having that hospital stay.  :P

Now I just need to decide if I want to continue and see how close I get... or if I want to give up and watch whatever title I want.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
     Resident Evil (2002/Germany, France, United Kingdom)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Paul W.S. Anderson
Writing:Paul W.S. Anderson (Writer)
Length:101 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Sci-Fi/Horror Violence, Language, and Brief Sexuality/Nudity
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Ryan McCluskey as Mr. Grey
Oscar Pearce as Mr. Red
Indra Ové as Ms. Black
Anna Bolt as Dr. Green
Joseph May as Dr. Blue
Robert Tannion as Dr. Brown

Plot:
A team of paramilitary commandos must battle flesh-eating undead, killer mutant dogs, and a supercomputer's deadly defenses before an unleashed virus consumes humanity in this adaptation of the hit video game series!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Blu-Wizard 2.0

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the Resident Evil movie... After watching it I had the urge to play the video game some... so yes it did have the feel of the games to me. I thought Milla Jovovich did a great job as Alice. And I got a kick out of seeing how they did all the different creatures from the games. The Zombies was fine... the Zombie Dogs were very cool... and the Licker I thought came out awesome... but for some strange reason I didn't care much for how the licker mutated after making his first kill. I liked it's original look much better. If I am not mistaken.... this is the movie that made me realize how much I enjoy seeing horror and action mixed together. I think the 2 genres compliment each other very well. Anyway... if by chance you never seen this film... I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
     Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998/United States)
Director:Andy Tennant
Writing:Susannah Grant (Screenwriter), Andy Tennant (Screenwriter), Rick Parks (Screenwriter)
Length:121 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Momentary Strong Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Danielle
Anjelica Huston as Rodmilla
Dougray Scott as Prince Henry
Patrick Godfrey as Leonardo
Megan Dodds as Marguerite
Melanie Lynskey as Jacqueline

Plot:
Once upon a time...

A "modern" young woman of the sixteenth century, Danielle (Drew Barrymore) is as independent and wise as she is beautiful and kind. Standing up to her scheming stepmother (Anjelica Houston), she works miracles on the lives of everyone around her, including the crown prince of France (Dougray Scott). Relive this captivating, contemporary retelling of the classic fairy tale – "a dazzling rendering of the Cinderella story" (The Washington Post).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
I went into this one not knowing what to think. All I knew was that it is a Drew Barrymore film I never seen before. And that I am a fan of Drew Barrymore. I must say I enjoyed this one a lot. And that is saying something... especially when you consider that I never been much of a fan of period films. But I got to say this is the best adaptation of the Cinderella story I ever seen. It caught my attention from the very beginning and it kept me glued to my seat for the entire movie. This one is definitely worth the time put n to watch it. I wholeheartedly recommend it. I just wish there was more extras then the theatrical trailer.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
     Conan the Barbarian (2011/United States)
Director:Marcus Nispel
Writing:Thomas Dean Donnelly (Writer), Joshua Oppenheimer (Writer), Sean Hood (Writer), Robert E. Howard (Original Characters By)
Length:113 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Bloody Violence Some Sexuality and Nudity
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Jason Momoa as Conan
Stephen Lang as Khalar Zym
Rachel Nichols as Tamara
Ron Perlman as Corin
Rose McGowan as Marique
Bob Sapp as Ukafa

Plot:
A quest that begins as a personal vendetta for the fierce Cimmerian warrior soon turns into an epic battle against hulking rivals, horrific monsters, and impossible odds, as Conan realizes he is the only hope of saving the great nations of Hyboria from an encroaching reign of supernatural evil.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I got to see this film. The first time I borrowed the DVD from the library shortly before leaving Maryland. Now I watched my own copy on Blu-ray. I thought they did a very good job on this one. Lots of great action... and I really liked Rose McGowan in this film. Loved her finger knives. Though she did look a little freaky in it... but freaky in a cool way.

The one problem I do have about this Blu-ray is that there is no real extras on the disc... there was several things on the DVD... it is so weird there being more extras on the DVD then the Blu-ray.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
     Frozen (2010/United States)
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Adam Green
Writing:Adam Green (Writer)
Length:93 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Disturbing Images and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Emma Bell as Parker O'Neil
Shawn Ashmore as Joe Lynch
Kevin Zegers as Dan Walker
Ed Ackerman as Jason
Rileah Vanderbilt as Shannon
Kane Hodder as Cody

Plot:
Critics have called it "JAWS in the snow". Audience members fainted at its Sundance premiere. And it remains perhaps the most intense and terrifying film of the year: As Sunday evening falls, three friends decide to take one last run down the ski slope. Halfway up the mountain their chair lift stops, the lights go out, and the resort closes for the week. They are forgotten on the icy mountain lift and left stranded fifty feet in the air, but the worst is still to come. A storm is approaching, frostbite is setting in, and on the ground below them a pack of hungry wolves has gathered... to feed. Kevin Zegers (DAWN OF THE DEAD, TRANSAMERICA), Shawn Ashmore (X-MEN, THE RUINS) and Emma Bell ("The Walking Dead") star in the relentlessly chilling survival thriller from writer/director Adam Green (HATCHET) that Ain't It Cool News hails as "a vicious, scary and horrifying experience... FROZEN is Hitchcock With Teeth!"

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It is one of those horror movies that is scary because it could easily happen in real life. There is no supernatural creature coming after you in this one. It all occurs from human stupidity. Something that there is an abundance of in this world. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
     Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated Edition (2012/United States)
Wikipedia |Trailer |IMDb |
Paramount
Director:Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman
Writing:Christopher Landon (Screenwriter), Chad Feehan (Story By), Oren Peli (Original Material By)
Length:97 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Katie Featherston as Katie
Kathryn Newton as Alex
Matt Shively as Ben
Aiden Lovekamp as Wyatt
Brady Allen as Robbie
Stephen Dunham as Doug

Plot:
All of the activity has led to this! When Katie disappeared with her nephew Hunter, there were no survivors. Five years later she's returned with a mysterious boy, ready to target new victims with her demonic rage. Now, a family's young daughter will capture every one of the terrifying occurrences, beginning with her new neighbors' arrival. It all leads to an "ending so intense, it will leave you shaking."*

*Billy Donnelly, AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital Copy
  • Unrated and Theatrical Versions

My Thoughts:
I always liked the Paranormal Activity films... and while I did like this one... it just caught me as more of the same. Maybe I wasn't truly in the mood to watch this one today or something but I just found I didn't enjoy it as much as I normally do.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
     Wrath of the Titans (2012/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Jonathan Liebesman
Writing:Dan Mazeau (Screenwriter), David Leslie Johnson (Screenwriter), Greg Berlanti (Story By), David Leslie Johnson (Story By), Dan Mazeau (Story By), Beverley Cross (Original Characters By)
Length:99 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Fantasy Violence and Action
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Sam Worthington as Perseus
Liam Neeson as Zeus
Ralph Fiennes as Hades
Edgar Ramirez as Ares
Toby Kebbell as Agenor
Rosamund Pike as Andromeda

Plot:
A great war has erupted between the gods, weakened by humanity's lack of devotion, and the long-imprisioned Titans, who are led by the ferocious Kronos. Betrayed by Hades, Zeus is captured and brought to the Underworld, and Perseus must once again become a hero in order to find Zeus and end the Titans' struggle to rule the earth.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Digital Copy
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this film quite a bit... thought it was a good follow-up to Clash of the Titans. It has a decent story and plenty of action. I'm glad I picked this one up... was worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
Ok... I have 10 more movies to watch... and only 7 days to do it. Now... I am off from work tomorrow. If I am able to keep my day off tomorrow and stay home and work on this marathon the entire day... I should get 3 to 4 movies in tomorrow.

If I am able to pull that off... I just may be able to complete this marathon before the time limit is up!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
     Young Frankenstein (1974/United States)
Director:Mel Brooks
Writing:Gene Wilder (Story By), Mel Brooks (Story By), Gene Wilder (Screenwriter), Mel Brooks (Screenwriter), Mary Shelley [Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley] (1797) (Original Characters By)
Length:106 min.
Rating:PG
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Spanish

Stars:
John Madison as Villager
John Dennis as Orderly in Frankenstein's Class
Rick Norman as Villager
Rolfe Sedan as Train Conductor
Terrence Pushman as Villager
Randolph Dobbs as Third Villager (Joe)

Plot:
With its hilarious all-star cast—including Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, Cloris Leachman, Teri Garr and Madeline Kahn—Mel Brooks' monstrous comedy masterpiece is so funny, its scary! Summoned to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (Wilder) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I always found this to be a fun movie... it is just hilarious. So many parts I could talk about that stands out as a good laugh. I especially liked the part that Gene Hackman played the blind man and had the monster over lighting his finger on fire. Even as much fun as it is there were a couple slow parts for me... and while it was still kinda funny... I didn't care for the musical number. I know... you are shocked that I wouldn't like that part! I did like the choice that they made when they decided on making this movie in black and white.. I thought it was a nice touch since they are paying homage to the classic horror. In my honest opinion this is Gene Wilder's best work... as I usually find him hit and miss. But it was Marty Feldman as Igor that stole the show. He was my favorite character in the movie. If by chance you never seen this film... it is one I highly recommend.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »
     Zookeeper (2011/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Frank Coraci
Writing:Nick Bakay (Screenwriter), Rock Reuben (Screenwriter), Kevin James (Screenwriter), Jay Scherick (Screenwriter), David Ronn (Screenwriter), Jay Scherick (Story By), David Ronn (Story By)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Some Rude and Suggestive Humor, and Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Bart the Bear as Jerome the Bear
Honey Bump Bear as Bruce the Bear
Kevin James as Griffin Keyes
Rosario Dawson as Kate
Leslie Bibb as Stephanie
Ken Jeong as Venom

Plot:
All the animals at the Franklin Park Zoo love their kindhearted caretaker, Griffin Keyes (Kevin James). Finding himself more comfortable with a lion than a lady, Griffin decides the only way to get the girl of his dreams is to leave the zoo and find a more glamorous job to win her over. The animals, in a panic, decide to break their time-honored code of silence and reveal their biggest secret: they can talk! To keep Griffin from leaving, they decide to teach him the rules of courtship – animal style! Also featuring the voices of Cher, Nick Nolte, Adam Sandler and Sylvester Stallone.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • movieIQ

My Thoughts:
I know of a lot of people that don't like this film... but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Well I have been a fan of Kevin James since his King of Queens days. Sure this is a silly movie... but in my opinion it is silly in a good way.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
     Kick-Ass (2010/United States)
Lions Gate Films
Director:Matthew Vaughn
Writing:Mark Millar (Original Material By), John S. Romita, Jr. [John S. Romita Jr] (Original Material By), Jane Goldman (Screenwriter), Matthew Vaughn (Screenwriter)
Length:118 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Brutal Violence Throughout, Pervasive Language, Sexual Content, Nudity and Some Drug Use - Some Involving Children
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass
Garrett M. Brown as Mr. Lizewski
Clark Duke as Marty
Evan Peters as Todd
Deborah Twiss as Mrs Zane
Lyndsy Fonseca as Katie Deauxma

Plot:
Co-written and directed by Matthew Vaughn (upcoming X-Men: First Class), the ass-kicking adventure about unlikely real-life crime fighters stars Aaron Johnson (Nowhere Boy), Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad) and Mark Strong (Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes), along with the dynamic father-daughter duo played by Chloe Grace Moretz (upcoming Let Me In), and Nicolas Cage (National Treasure series). Based on the comic written by Mark Millar and John S. Romita Jr., the story follows Dave Lizewski (Johnson), an ordinary teenager who goes unnoticed in high school until he dons a mask to become "Kick-Ass," a real-life crime fighter. Bruised and beaten and without any real super powers, he is saved by a father-daughter duo (Cage as "Big Daddy," Moretz as "Hit-Girl") who have been fighting their own battle against a vicious crime-lord. After a firestorm of Internet publicity, Kick-Ass becomes the target of the same crime lord, which leads to the ass-kicking finale when the three crime fighters take on the crime lord, his son Red Mist (Mintz-Plasse) and his gang of criminals.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Ass-Kicking BonusView Mode, D-Box, BD Touch, Metamenu

My Thoughts:
I just watched this one for like the third time since it came out.... and loved it this time just as much as I did the first time. This movie is no less then excellent! I was so engrossed with this movie that the time (almost 2 full hours) flew by... and the movie was over before I knew it. Hit-Girl stole the show... best character in the entire movie. Brittany said it right when she told me not to confuse this with a superhero movie... it really isn't one. It is actually a vigilante movie that just happens to use superhero costumes as a gimmick. If by any chance you haven't seen this one yet.... it is one I highly recommend... see it as soon as possible... you won't be sorry!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:38 AM »
A lot of Kick-Ass' success has to do with Matthew Vaughn' s style (which is somewhat derived from the early Guy Ritchie). So, while sadly a Kick-Ass 3 apparently won't happen, Vaughn's new film seems rather promising:

Kingsman: The Secret Service