Author Topic: The 2013 Pilot Review  (Read 5698 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The 2013 Pilot Review
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
Sean Saves the World

Sean Saves the World @ IMDb
Sean Saves the World @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Sean (Sean Hayes, Will & Grace) is a gay single dad. His ex-wife just moved away and left his 14-year old daughter with him. He's trying to be the best dad he can be but his job is also very demanding since he's gotten a very weird new box.

My Opinion: Laugh track sitcom that is mildly amusing. The home parts do mostly work though I'm beginning to wonder when the last time was we've seen a normal mom of an adult character on any show. What doesn't work is the work parts because the new boss is just absurd and not in a good way.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »
The Goldbergs

The Goldbergs @ IMDb
The Goldbergs @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: A retro comedy that reflects the "best" and worst of the 80s. The story is shown through the home-video camera of son Adam who is a reflection of the real Adam Goldberg, creator of the show.

My Opinion: I suppose this is the 80s counterpart to That 70's Show but it just doesn't work for me and I am about the same age as the creator! If I want to remember the 80s America, I remember MacGyver and Mr. T and Michael Knight, not some suburban kid with a video camera.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
The Millers

The Millers @ IMDb
The Millers @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: After their son Nathan got divorced, father Tom (Beau Bridges, Stargate SG-1) finally feels free to leave his wife Carol (Margo Martindale, Dexter). While Tom suddenly moves in with their daughter Debbie (Jayma Mays, Glee), Carol moves in with Nathan. Laugh track comedy.

My Opinion: I know these crazy schemes are a standard sitcome pattern but this time it just broke the show for me. Maybe it was just too early for a non-established character to pull one of these.
I barely saw the appeal of the show in these first two episodes but I would have given it a chance because compared to Dads I found Beau Bridges' dad rather funny. But this whole fake death stunt made me seriously dislike the mom and whatever the show had going for it just vanished.
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »
No interest in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
I have watched a few pilots I haven't reviewed yet (maybe over the weekend).

Shield is oddly enough something I looked forward to watch but once it actually aired, my interest waned - without even watching it.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
Back in the Game

Back in the Game @ IMDb
Back in the Game @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Non-laugh track sitcom starring James Caan as a former baseball pro called Terry "The Cannon" Gannon, sr. whose adult daughter (Terry jr.) and grandson have just moved back into his house. Now they have to find a way to co-exist which does not become easier when Terry jr. decides to coach her son's little league team.

My Opinion: Over the past few episodes I've really come to enjoy the show. It's a typical misfits show but the characters are all very likeable and promising. The general premise is not that original (but what comedy is these days?), but I hope it can catch an audience and stay on the air.
Karsten