Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience  (Read 25438 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
     The Karate Kid (2010/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Harald Zwart
Writing:Robert Mark Kamen (Story By), Christopher Murphey (Screenwriter)
Length:140 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Bullying, Martial Arts Action Violence and Some Mild Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Jaden Smith as Dre Parker
Jackie Chan as Mr. Han
Taraji P. Henson as Sherry Parker
Wenwen Han as Meiying
Rongguang Yu as Master Li
Zhensu Wu as Meiying's Dad

Plot:
When Dre Parker (Jaden Smith) and his mother (Taraji P. Henson) move from Detroit to China, Dre feels lost in a world very different from what he knows. Bullied and beaten up by some fellow students in his school, Dre is rescued by his apartment building's handyman, Mr. Han (Jackie Chan), a man who is mourning a devastating loss. Mr. Han takes pity on Dre and agrees to teach him kung fu to defend himself. Training together, teacher and student learn to trust each other, and ultimately form a friendship that heals them both.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • BD-Live
  • movieIQ

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I seen this film... once when it was first released and then now. Was a remake needed? No... but I am always willing to give any film a chance. I won't not watch a film just because it is a remake. Why would I? I could be missing an enjoyable movie... and even if it sucks... that don't take away from the original. In this case I think it is more of a re-imaging then it is a remake. They change enough of it to make it a different movie... but keep enough of the story the same to pay a good homage to the original. It is a fine line to walk... but I think this film did a good job at it. I have seen people complain about Jaden Smith.... and how he is in movies do to his famous father. But even if that is the reason he is there... that don't take away from his talent as I feel he did a fine job. This is the first thing I ever seen him in... but I did enjoy watching him. I thought Jackie Chan as Mr. Han was great. It did seem he played this one a little more seriously. But that is a good thing... the role called for it. If there was a character I didn't care for... I would have to say it was Dre's mother. She seemed a little out there to me personally. But I even liked her too... just my least favorite of the main characters. Over-all it is a very good, entertaining movie. Well worth the time put in to watch it. I am thrilled I finally got it in my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
I tried like 3 times to watch a movie today... but I nothing but interruptions today....hopefully I can get to one this evening. I hate when real life gets in the way of my movie watching!  :redcard:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
     Deadline (2009/United States)
First Look Home Entertainment
Director:Sean McConville
Writing:Sean McConville (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Violence and Disturbing Images
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Brittany Murphy as Alice
Thora Birch as Lucy
Tammy Blanchard as Rebecca
Marc Blucas as David
Claudia Troll as David's Mother
Michael Piscitelli as Ben's Voice

Plot:
Alice (Brittany Murphy), an artist recovering from a psychological breakdown, retreats to a remote Victorian house to convalesce and focus on finishing her screenplay in time for a fast approaching deadline. When she begins hearing strange sounds and seeing apparitions, Alice searches for the source, only to find disturbing videotapes in the attic. Fascinated by her discovery, Alice digs deeper to uncover the mysterious story of the couple (Thora Birch and Marc Blucas) on the tapes, sending her on a twisting and terrifying pursuit to discover the deadly secret that lies in the house.

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I tried to get this one watched yesterday... but real life was against me getting through even a single movie yesterday.  So when I woke up so early in the morning (like 3am) I decided I was going to get it watched! When I first found out I was getting this film I asked some friends about it... the ones that seen it didn't have too much good to say about it. Basically hearing it was no more then an average film. So I didn't go into it with too high of expectations. Even with that... I found I agreed. No more then average. I found the story itself to unfold a little slow for my taste. But the storyline was interesting enough to keep me watching. And when it was over I found I still had some questions that I wasn't sure about by watching the film. So afterward I watched the making of documentary to see if I could get some answers... and I did... sort of. Basically it was the filmmaker's point not to answer all the questions... that he wanted the viewers to draw their own opinion of what was being told. So the answer is whatever you believe it to be. Over-all a decent way to waste an hour and a half. One I can see myself watching again. But not one I would watch very frequently.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
     The Green Hornet (2011/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Michel Gondry
Writing:Seth Rogen (Writer), Evan Goldberg (Writer), George W. Trendle (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Violent Action, Language, Sensuality and Drug Content
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Hindi, Spanish

Stars:
Seth Rogen as Britt Reid/The Green Hornet
Jay Chou as Kato
Cameron Diaz as Lenore Case
Tom Wilkinson as James Reid
Christoph Waltz as Chudnofsky
David Harbour as Scanlon

Plot:
Britt Reid (Seth Rogen) is a slacker by day, party animal by night... until he finds a serious career that's seriously cool: crime-fighting action hero. As the Green Hornet, he teams up with gadget wiz and martial arts master Kato (Jay Chou) to take down LA's underworld. Also starring Cameron Diaz and Christoph Waltz.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • "The Green Hornet Cutting Room"
  • movieIQ

My Thoughts:
This is a film  been wanting to check out since I first found out it was being made. But this is the first time I got the chance to see it. I never watched the original series this film is based on... or read any comics (was there Green Hornet Comics?)... so I know very little of the mythology of The Green Hornet. But that could work for the better since I have nothing to compare it with I have a better chance of enjoying it... right? After watching it I found there was things I liked and things I didn't like. I thought for the most part it had some great action. And I liked Cameron Diaz as Britt's secretary. As well as thought Kato was just plain cool. As for what I didn't care for.... I didn't like when about to fight the red outline zeroing in on the weapons and people. I felt this took away from my enjoyment some. Then I also thought that most the comedy they tried really didn't work for me either. But over-all I really enjoyed this one... glad I finally got the chance to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
Yes, there was a Green Hornet comic, and yes, you were probably better off not having read it or seen the series.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Yeah .. The Green Hornet has been around for quite a while .. mid 30's i think.  Never one of my favorites but bet the serial was pretty good in the day.  The current film seemed like the take they did of batman in the 60's.  Very camp
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
I'm not a big Seth Rogen fan, so I prefer this one, even if it also is far from perfect:

Bruce Lee or Jay Chou as Kato? No contest!

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
I agree .. it was campy but in a basic 60's way.  It was fun and exciting
Thank you
David