Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience  (Read 25450 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon

The Blu-ray Experience

Here recently I been getting myself some Blu-ray discs... since thanks to my daughter getting a new player for when she goes off to college... my daughter gave me her blu-ray player... which thankfully easily hooks up to my standard TV. I have a nice little collection of Blu-ray collection starting to build. Mostly thanks to gifts and free upgrades to combo sets when making trades at a friend's store. So thought this was the perfect time to have such a marathon.

Best part about this weekend... I will get to watch these on an HDTV despite not having one yet. As I will be able to watch these in my daughter's room (she said she is on the laptop 90% of the time anyway!) on her's. See below for the list of films I have on BD.

My BD Collection:
Titles in bold are ones I haven't watched yet. Note: I may have seen the movie before... but not since getting the disc.

Marvel's The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Disney's A Christmas Carol (Seen on DVD but not on BD)
Dolphin Tale (Seen on DVD but not on BD)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Just Go With It
Men in Black 3
Red Riding Hood
Santa Paws 2: Santa Pups
The Search for Santa Paws (Seen on DVD but not on BD)
Splice
Stargate
The Strangers
Street Kings
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Terminator Salvation
The Three Stooges

BD Titles on the Way:
These are titles I have on order. At least some of them should get here in time for my marathon. Titles in bold are ones I haven't watched yet. Note: I may have seen the movie before... but not since getting the disc.

The Crazies (2010)
The Hunger Games
Jennifer's Body
Let Me in
Pride and Glory
(This one definitely won't make it in time as it hasn't even shipped yet.)

Other BD Titles I have access to:
Brittany's

Coraline

I do believe there may be one or two more in Britt's collection. I know she has some anime series on BD... but have to wait till she wakes to find out about other films.

Any recommendations from the above is appreciated... but no promises I will get to them this weekend. As I can only get to so many this weekend and a lot depends on my mood as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
On my ordered list... I checked tracking and...

The Crazies (2010) - Very possible to get here in time. Was scanned a couple towns over from us late last night.

The Hunger Games - Very possible. Been expecting it any day now since the beginning of the week.

Jennifer's Body - Doubtful. It shipped but hasn't been scanned since the original shipment a couple days ago.

Let Me in - Good Chance. Last scanned a couple days ago. Was a couple states away from me. Scheduled Delivery tomorrow.

Pride and Glory  - This one definitely won't make it in time as it hasn't even shipped yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
     Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Director:James Cameron (1954)
Writing:James Cameron (1954) (Writer), William Wisher (Writer)
Length:137 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Sci-Fi Action and Violence, and for Language
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: DTS ES: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator
Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor
Edward Furlong as John Connor
Robert Patrick as T-1000
Earl Boen as Dr. Silberman
Joe Morton as Miles Dyson

Plot:
ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER returns as the Terminator in this explosive action-adventure spectacle. Now he's one of the good guys, sent back in time to protect John Connor, the boy destined to lead the freedom fighters of the future. LINDA HAMILTON reprises her role as Sarah Connor, John's mother, a quintessential survivor who has been institutionalized for her warning of the nuclear holocaust she knows is inevitable. Together, the threesome must find a way to stop the ultimate enemy – the T-1000, the most lethal Terminator ever created. Co-written, produced and directed by JAMES CAMERON (The Terminator, Aliens, Titanic), this visual tour de force is also a touching human story of survival.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • THX

My Thoughts:
It has been years since I seen this film! So watching it for the first time ever on Blu-ray was an extra treat. And I can say I saw such a difference right away! I have yet to see Terminator Salvation... but so far this is my favorite film in the franchise. I really liked the addition of the T-1000 with his liquid metal morphing abilities. I really enjoyed watching this one again... definitely recommended.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
Funny you should watch this one as I've literally just watched the blu-ray for Terminator Salvation. I think you'll dig it - it gets an unfair amount of crap directed it, and although not as good as 1 or 2, it was a step in the right direction out of a slightly faltered 3rd. My scores for the series:
T1 - 4.5/5
T2 - 5/5
T3 - 3.5/5
T4 - 4/5

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
Thanks... will probably watch Terminator Salvation later today.... depending on what (if anything) arrives in the mail today. Either way I am sure I will get to it before the weekend is over with.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
The Strangers and The Avangers!
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »
The Strangers is already on my short list. The Avengers... I already seen it like 4 times... but maybe... love that movie! :P

As I said in the other thread... today I got The Crazies and The Hunger Games in the mail. So will probably get to those this weekend too. I am really curious about The Crazies.
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
Then you watch either that or 'The Strangers' i really enjoyed it! :) i watched The Strangers first on dvd, and blu afterwards. Great horror! And if i dont remember very wrong, isnt 'The Strangers' based on a true story?
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
     The Hunger Games (2012/United States)
Lionsgate
Director:Gary Ross
Writing:Matthew Chapman (Screenwriter), Suzanne Collins (Screenwriter), Billy Ray (Screenwriter), Suzanne Collins (Original Material By)
Length:143 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Violent Thematic Material and Disturbing Images - All Involving Teens
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane
Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket

Plot:
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister's place and must rely upon her sharp instincts when she's pitted against highly trained Tributes who have prepared their entire lives. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
For the next film I let my daughter pick the movie to watch... and this is the one she wanted to see. I found this to be a very good film. It easily kept my attention from beginning to the end. And I was pleasantly surprised to see an appearance by Donald Sutherland as President Snow. I always liked him. I would have liked to seen more hunting scenes... I kinda went into this one expecting to see more. I also found that while this is a rather long movie... it didn't feel like it while watching it. I would say this one is definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Do you still need to see Battle Royale?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »
yeah... actually I do... I was saying the same thing to Britt when she said they were similar. I have it on DVD... just haven't taken the time to watch it.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:31:27 AM »
... but so far this is my favorite film in the franchise.
For me it's the first one... I can't stand Edward Furlong in this and this is too much a special effects showcase for my taste.

In fact except for the original I haven't bought anything else in that franchise...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
     The Crazies (2010/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Anchor Bay Home Entertainment
Director:Breck Eisner
Writing:Scott Kosar (Screenwriter), Ray Wright (Screenwriter)
Length:101 min.
Rating:Rated R : Bloody Violence and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: PCM: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Timothy Olyphant as David
Radha Mitchell as Judy
Joe Anderson as Russell
Danielle Panabaker as Becca
Christie Lynn Smith as Deardra Farnum
Brett Rickaby as Bill Farnum

Plot:
In this terrifying glimpse into the "American Dream" gone wrong, an unexplainable phenomenon has taken over the citizens of Ogden Marsh. One by one the townsfolk are falling victim to an unknown toxin and are turning sadistically violent. People who days ago lived quiet, unremarkable lives are now depraved, bloodthirsty killers.

While Sheriff Dutton (Timothy Olyphant) and his pregnant wife, Judy (Radha Mitchell), try to make sense of the escalating violence, the government uses deadly force to close off all access and won’t let anyone in or out – even those uninfected. An ordinary night becomes a horrifying struggle for the few remaining survivors as they do their best to get out of town alive.

Breck Eisner (Sahara) directs this suspenseful reinvention of the George A. Romero classic.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Digital Copy
  • The Crazies Motion Comic Episodes 1 + 2

My Thoughts:
I been wanting to check this one out for a while now. I must say... I enjoyed it quite a bit. It kept my interest from the start. It has a good story and likable characters. I know this is a remake of an older film... and I have heard that it isn't really that similar... but I must admit... despite that I am curious about the original after seeing this one. If for no other reason then to see just how much it differs. This is worth checking out if you haven't yet.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
     The Avengers (2012/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Joss Whedon
Writing:Zak Penn (Story By), Joss Whedon (Story By), Joss Whedon (Screenwriter), Stan Lee (Original Characters By), Jack Kirby (Original Characters By), Joe Simon (Original Characters By)
Length:142 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Violence and Action Throughout, and A Mild Drug Reference
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye

Plot:
Marvel makes cinematic history as it unites the Super Hero team of a lifetime. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) assemble together for the first time ever in this epic, action-packed blockbuster – alongside Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Director Joss Whedon creates an unprecedented masterpiece that has become a global phenomenon. Packed with awesome special effects, Marvel's The Avengers is the must-own movie sensation your family will watch over and over!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
Yes, yes we just watched The Avengers again! This is like my 6th time watching this film since it came out. Once at the theater... twice on DVD... and now 3 times on Blu-ray. But what can I say... I love this movie! Even after all these multiple viewings I still enjoyed every second of it! This movie is almost two and a half hours long... but it sure didn't feel like it while watching it! Everything moved quickly... it is quite action packed... and it has a plenty of laughs as well. Sure there was maybe a few jokes that fell flat for me... but for the most part I think  Joss Whedon did an excellent job. As did the entire cast. I was a little concerned about Mark Ruffalo taking over the part of Bruce Banner... but I liked him in the role too. The Hulk is probably my favorite character in the film. He really stole the show. I couldn't recommend this one any higher.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:52 AM »
     The Strangers: Unrated (2008/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Bryan Bertino
Writing:Bryan Bertino (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Alex Fisher as Mormon Boy #1
Peter Clayton-Luce as Mormon Boy #2
Scott Speedman as James Hoyt
Liv Tyler as Kristen McKay
Gemma Ward as Dollface
Kip Weeks as Man in Mask

Plot:
Explore your worst fears imaginable with this shocking suspense thriller inspired by disturbing true events. After a 4 a.m. knock at the door and a haunting voice, Kristen McKay (Liv Tyler) and James Hoyt's (Scott Speedman) remote getaway becomes a psychological night of terror as three masked strangers invade. Now they must go far beyond what they thought themselves capable of if they hope to survive.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
Maybe I went into this one with too high of expectations... but while a decent film...  I wasn't all that impressed with this one. One thing I found a little bothersome is the audio. the voices were lower then the rest of the sound effects in the film. So to hear everything I had to have it turned up pretty loud to her the (limited) talking in the film... which made everything else a bit on the loud side. Another problem I had was the fact that the video was overly dark. At times I couldn't tell what was going on in the scenes. Then there was the fact that the first part of the film wasn't that interesting so had a hard time keeping my attention on it. But once the home invasion happened it picked up... just as I said was a bit hard to understand/see everything going on. At least until morning hit. But by then the movie was almost over. All the this gave me a hard time on how to rate this film. I liked the subject matter... and there is good scenes in it. I guess I would have to go with...

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete