Author Topic: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon  (Read 36443 times)

Najemikon

Re: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Look interesting even if you gave him only 3 stars. Two questions :

1. On your review at DVD Compare you mention there is no subtitles, I'm use to it but even if your accent is sexy sometimes it's hard to understand well for a non native like me. So is it hard to understand because a the non-professional cast and the type of material used to record?

2. How is the cinematography? Doesn't look too digital I hope...

Although the cast are non-professional, I would say their dialect is fairly middle-England and easy to understand. Actually being inexperienced might be making them self concious about their voices so they're avoiding accents anyway. Certainly you aren't dealing with any strong regional dialects in any case.

Cinematography impressed me because there isn't any! :) This thing is so low budget, it's just a couple of guys with a camcorder filming in non-descript locations. And it does have that modern digital look, that you would associate with a typical video camera, but I didn't find it distracting because I appreciated their eye for a composition outdoors and they're lighting efforts sometimes indoors. I found a trailer, which should give you an idea.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Darkness Falls (2003)

Genre: Horror
Director: Jonathan Liebesman
Rating: PG-13
Length: 1h26
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English / French

Stars:
Chaney Kley
Emma Caulfield
Lee Cormie
Grant Piro
Sullivan Stapleton

Plot:
As a young boy, Kyle (Chaney Kley) claimed to have seen the tooth fairy. He also claimed she tried to kill him.

Now over twelve years later, Kyle has left the town that never believed him. He has also left behind the two people who thought he was telling the truth, his childhood girlfriend Caitlin (Emma Caulfield) and her younger brother. And when evil again emerges in Darkness Falls, Kyle must return to do battle with the winged creature of doom he saw that night so many years ago. Because evil is back with a vengeance. And it's not leaving without Caitlin's brother.

My Thoughts:
It's been a while but this one was able to make me jump a couple of time in the beginning. This one goes at one of our primal fear wich is to be in the dark, even if we are old we are always affraid of it... not because of the monster of course but because we know that bad things could happen when there no light arround. So the basic idea is a good one. Being an horror movie a monster is needed and I've no problem with this, but I find the mood scarrier when we don't see it. For me hearing without seeing is more frightening and honestly when the Tooth Fairy is shown it's over, seriously when we hear her voice only she is scary but when she appear we see only a bad CGI creation. I've also some problem with one fact : the basic premise isn't always respected, she can't attack in the light so why she sometimes do?

Even if the film isn't perfect I'm sure that most here will like this one.

Rating :

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 01:58:38 AM »
(by the synopsis it sounds like a Final Destination rip-off, who is a rip-off of Sole Survivor of course)
Final Destination was released in 2000, Soul Survivor is from 2001...?

The trailer does not make me feel they are related though.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 02:54:54 AM »
(by the synopsis it sounds like a Final Destination rip-off, who is a rip-off of Sole Survivor of course)
Final Destination was released in 2000, Soul Survivor is from 2001...?

The trailer does not make me feel they are related though.
It's just a vibe from the synopsis, even if I own the three Final Destination movies (No idea why?? At least I lighten up and didn't get the parts 4 and 5) I have no idea when they were released. It sounded to me like a "she survive but she was not suppose to and now the dealer want to settle the debt" type of film. Of course after I watched the film I was proove wrong as the film is enjoyable and well done (btw Stephen Carpenter is the same guy who did direct The Dorm That Dripped Blood some years before).

I never watch the trailer before, I watch and find them after. Too many of them spoiled the film best parts...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:00:09 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 05:25:53 AM »
It's just a vibe from the synopsis, even if I own the three Final Destination movies (No idea why?? At least I lighten up and didn't get the parts 4 and 5) I have no idea when they were released. It sounded to me like a "she survive but she was not suppose to and now the dealer want to settle the debt" type of film.
Well, I watched the trailer, failed to read the synopsis :slap head: If that is the basic premise, then there is indeed a certain similarity there.

I somewhat liked the first Final Destination film, it was something I hadn't really seen before (those death trap things...). The second one is fun, because they deliberately stripped it form any unnecessary narrative (::)) and went from kill to kill. There is 5 already? :slaphead:

I never watch the trailer before, I watch and find them after. Too many of them spoiled the film best parts...
Oh I hate it when that happens. Some trailers go to show clips from the last 10 or even 5 minutes of the movie :yucky:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
There is 5 already? :slaphead:
Yes the fourth one was even in 3D, wich is the reason why I pass. The part 5 was in theatre in august (at least, I've seen the trailer announce on TV this summer). For what I've read it seems that another one is in production... Seriously how many films they need to show that The Reaper is piss off when you cheat him :laugh:

The funny part is that my favorite is the third one, but I gave up after it :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
I actually saw the first one in the theater..one of the few horror type movies I've gone to the theater to see.
I saw some of the second on tv before..I haven't seen any of the others and I don't want to see anymore of them.  It just seems like it is the same basic stuff happening over and over..just with different characters.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
It just seems like it is the same basic stuff happening over and over..just with different characters.
and worst and more unrealist CGI on each sequels :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)

Director: Victor Salva
Rating: 18A
Length: 1h44
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English / French / Spanish
Subtitles: English / French / Spanish

Stars:
Ray Wise
Jonathan Breck
Garikayi Mutambirwa
Eric Nenninger
Nicki Aycox

Plot:
When their bus is crippled on the side of a deserted road, a team of high school athletes discover an opponent they cannot defeat -- and may not survive. Staring hungrily at them through the school bus windows, the “Creeper” returns again and again. But when the teammates discover that it's selective about whom it attacks, it will test their ability to stick together -- as the insatiable menace tries to tear them apart!

My Thoughts:
Sequel to one of the most overated, boring and unoriginal horror movie of the last ten years. Can you believe it can be worst? Believe me it can... This one take the character mythologie of the monster and trash it in the garbage can. Seriously even if the original is boring at least the bad guy is creepy, not anymore here since he became a joke. Anyway this is what this movie is... a joke at the depend of the viewer (good thing I haven't paid for it). One of the few film (with Wolf Creek) were all the characters are unlikable to the point we are happy to see them die...

Can you believe they try to do a third part since almost eight years? Thank God Francis Ford Coppola don't want to put his money in this anymore...

Rating :

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Up until it blew it completely in the last act, I thought Jeepers Creepers had potential to be the best American horror for years. The opening sections with the scarecrow were superb. Bloody awful by the end though.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:41 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Joy Ride (2001)

Director: John Dahl
Rating: R
Length: 1h37
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English / Spanish

Stars:
Steve Zahn
Paul Walker
Leelee Sobieski
Jessica Bowman
Stuart Stone

Plot:
College student Lewis decides to drive across the country to see Venna, a friend who doesn't know that Lewis is interested in her romantically. Unfortunately for his plans, Lewis gets saddled with his raucous-spirited older brother, Fuller, whose on-the-road pranks get the brothers and Venna sucked into a nightmare when a psychotic truckdriver takes offense.

My Thoughts:
It's a movie I've almost seen in a theatre when it was release and now I'm glad I didn't. This is just a movie that doesn't make sense, seriously how the hell can you find that much info about someone you had talk with only on a C.B.? Are kids these days think a C.B. is like a phone and you got a call viewer to know who call? I hope not... Even if we accept that non-sense we have to accept more non sense (a truck can't go full speed off-road, a truck can't outrun a car, a truck can't crash undammage, ... I'm sure my dad who was a truck driver would have a good laugh watching this). This is not really well act, except for Leelee Sobieski. Finally the guys deserve fully what happen to them, their stunt was quite stupid and childish (even when I was a kid doing phone prank something retarded like that would have never crossed my mind). I would have sure prefered a different end
(click to show/hide)

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:47:47 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
BTW guys sorry if my marathon doesn't go as well as I expected it will... Real life hit me hard at the beginning of the month and I find it hard to be in the mood to watch movies where people die (or being in the mood for whatever, I just try to act the more normally that I can. But it's hard).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
Apart from the final act I really dug Jeepers Creepers. Loved the start, liked the characters. The monster looked good, but it did lose it's feet after it was revealed. Second one was definately mediocre though. I also enjoyed Roadkill (Joy Ride's UK title) up until the end. Although Paul Walker isn't a good actor I seem to enjoy the majority of his output, especially Running Scared and Fast Five.

Have you seen Wrong Turn or Eight Legged Freaks? Two films very different to each other, but underrated and fun horror's IMO.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »
I've seen Wrong Turn when it was released and I did appreciate it. Not that I find it original, but for a recent movie (at the time of course) I was impress.

I like Roadkill too, but here it's a canadian arthouse indy movie :laugh:
I just think there was too much things that doesn't make sense in Joy Ride to appreciate it. I know we are supposed to watch horror movies with a certain sense of disbelieve, but for me when the premisse of a film is impossible in real life I loose my interest. If it was about a monster that would be fine since this is a fictional thing, but if you talk of something that exist like a C.B. in this film you better get the fact straight and don't do something impossible.

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »
Paul Walker isn't a good actor I seem to enjoy the majority of his output, especially Running Scared and Fast Five.

With you on that. Running Scared I really enjoyed when I realised it was being told like a fairy tale! Kind of works. And the F&F movies are just big, dumb fun and that suits him.

BTW guys sorry if my marathon doesn't go as well as I expected it will... Real life hit me hard at the beginning of the month and I find it hard to be in the mood to watch movies where people die (or being in the mood for whatever, I just try to act the more normally that I can. But it's hard).

Hope you're ok, Jimmy