Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 169628 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
     Family Ties: Season One (1982/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:530 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Plot:
Loving parents Steven (Michael Gross) and Elyse Keaton (Meredith Baxter Birney) raise their kids with open hearts and open minds. Growing up in the 1960s, Mom and Dad share a liberal point of view, and guide their family with the ideals and convictions of flower power at its best. Their offspring, however, have different ideas. Eldest son Alex P. Keaton is an over-achieving, hard-core Republican, and clashes with his parents at every turn. Mallory is a fashion-loving, boy-crazy teen struggling through high school, while little sister Jennifer is the precocious tomboy who always speaks her mind. Together, they share the moments that make them laugh, make them cry...and make them family.

Family Ties
1.01 Pilot (1982-09-22)
Writer: Gary David Goldberg (Writer)
Director: Asaad Kelada
Cast: Meredith Baxter Birney (Elyse), Michael Gross (Steven), Michael J. Fox (Alex), Justine Bateman (Mallory), Tina Yothers (Jennifer), Cindy Fisher (Kimberly Blanton), John Petlock (Mr. Blanton), Toni Sawyer (Mrs. Blanton), Maurice Marsac (Roger)

A good start to a series I enjoy watching, but never really got into it. The only reason I watch it is because I think Michael J. Fox is great in it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
     Fantastic Children: Complete Collection (2004/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Bandai Entertainment (United States)
Length:650 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Plot:
In 19th century Europe, then again in the 20th century on a south-eastern archipelago...

Over the course of many years in many different lands a group of mysterious children called "The Children of Befort" have been seen time and time again. They spend long months and years traveling from place to place searching for one particular girl.

In the 21st century, a boy named Thoma lives on a small southern island called Papin Island. He meets a girl named Helga who is captured and taken back to the orphanage she ran away from on nearby Chikao Island. But Thoma, together with Helga's young friend Chitto, devises a plan to free her. However, when they get to Chikao they find that government agents have come to the island searching for an escaped prisoner!

Elsewhere, Detective Cooks, a police officer assigned to the case of a missing child, is intrigued by a connection he finds to records and events dealing with "The Children of Befort".

Fantastic Children
1.01 From the Edge of Night

This is the first time I ever saw anything from this series. It couldn't hold my attention. It may be a good series, but I doubt that I will ever come around to continue watching it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »
     Fawlty Towers: Series One and Two (1975/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

BBC Worldwide (United Kingdom)
Length:375 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, German

Plot:
This special edition set includes two discs with all 12 episodes.

PLUS: An exclusive third disc containing a collection of special features.

Fawlty Towers
1.01 A Touch of Class
Writer: )
Director:
Cast: John Cleese (Basil Fawlty), Prunella Scales (Sybil Fawlty), Andrew Sachs (Manuel), Connie Booth (Polly), Michael Gwynn (Lord Melbury), Robin Ellis (Danny Brown), Ballard Berkeley (Major Gowen), Martin Wyldeck (Sir Richard Morris), David Simeon (Mr. Mackenzie), Terence Conoley (Mr. Wareing), Lionel Wheeler (Mr. Watson)

A classic. And deservingly so. John Cleese is perfect as Basil Fawlty. And this series has some well-known quotes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
Skipping the mini series "Fingersmith". You can find my short review here.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »
     Firefly: The Complete Series (2002/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:652 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Dutch, English, Spanish

Plot:
Five hundred years in the future there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity is eager to stake a claim on the action. They'll take any job, legal or illegal, to keep fuel in the tanks and food on the table. But things get a bit more complicated after they take on a passenger wanted by the new totalitarian Alliance regime. Now they find themselves on the run, desperate to steer clear of Alliance ships and the flesh-eating Reavers who live on the fringes of space.

Firefly
1.01 Serenity
Writer: Joss Whedon (Writer)
Director: Joss Whedon
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Carlos Jacott (Lawrence Dobson), Mark A. Sheppard (Badger), Andy Umberger (Dortmunder Captain), Philip Sternberg (Inara's Client), Eddie Adams (Bendis), Colin Patrick Lynch (Radio Operator), Bonnie Bartlett (Patience), Domingo Vara (Ensign), Stephen O'Mahoney (Man (Dortmunder)), Jamie McShane (Man), John F. Kearney (Old Man), Gabrielle Wagner (Slave #1)

I have borrowed the Blu-ray release of this series from a friend to see, if there is much difference in quality.
I have now watched the pilot episode again and am thinking about rewatching the entire series again. The series and its characters made a lasting impression, with me wanting to revisit this series again so soon after. The 14 episodes weren't just enough. It is not often that a series makes me to rewatch it so soon after the first time. In recent history only "Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Big Bang Theory" made me do it.

This pilot episode had much rewatch value. Now knowing the characters a lot better and was fun to see the beginning here.

Rating:

P.S.: This is a repost. Now I am watching my own new Blu-ray set. And again I plan to rewatch the entire series.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
     The Flash: The Complete Series (1990/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:1087 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
WHO-O-O-O-OSH! The origins and exploits of the crimefighting DC Comics superhero come your way at lightning speed in this 22-episode live-action series. John Wesley Shipp portrays Barry Allen, a police crime technologist endowed with sudden talents after a fluke lab accident. He pledges to use his new powers for good, powers that include ultra-speed reflexes and the ability to vibrate his molecules so rapidly he can pass through solid walls. Amanda Pays is medical researcher Tina McGee, who monitors Allen's accelerated metabolism and guards his secret identity. The Trickster, Captain Cold, the Ghost, mad inventors: Central City is rife with criminals. Now there's a hero to keep pace with them. He's called The Flash. And in our era of instant communications, he's more in step with the times than ever.

The Flash
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Danny Bilson (Writer), Paul De Meo (Writer)
Director: Robert Iscove
Cast: John Wesley Shipp (Barry Allen), Amanda Pays (Tina McGee), Alex Desert (Julio Mendez), Paula Marshall (Iris), Michael Nader (Pike), Tim Thomerson (Jay Allen), Priscilla Pointer (Nora Allen), Lycia Naff (Lila), Richard Belzer (Joe Kline), Robert Hooks (Chief Arthur Cooper), M. Emmet Walsh (Henry Allen), Patrie-Allen (Eve Allen), Biff Manard (Murphy), Vito D'Ambrosio (Bellows), Wayne Pere (Rick), Justin Burnette (Shawn Allen), Eric DaRe (Tyrone), Ricky Dean Logan (Scott), Mariko Tse (Linda Park), Sam Vlahos (Dr. Lawrence), Josh Cruze (Petrolli), David L. Crowley (Swat Captain), Virginia Morris (Mother), Richard Hoyt-Miller (Young Father), Jan Stango (Young Mother), Brad "Cat" Sevy (Waiter)

An okay pilot. But not one I overly enjoy. Though I think Dawson's dad is a good fit for Flash. Danny Elfman provided the theme and as usual it sounds like all his other stuff. After his excellent Batman theme all his superhero themes (and even some of his other movie themes) sound just like another take on it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
     FlashForward: The Complete Series (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:946 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Plot:
Hold onto your seat as you experience a show like no other. "The ride you are about to take will be worth every minute," raves Newsday.

Out of nowhere, a mysterious flash causes nearly everyone in the world to lose consciousness and gain a glimpse of his or her life six months into the future. As one elite FBI unit attempts to solve the mystery, the rest of the world's population soon discovers that, when it comes to destiny, nothing is set in stone.

Uncover the answers and delve even deeper into the mind-bending story with riveting bonus features, including a behind-the-scenes look at the phenomenal freeway disaster scene and inside stories about the series from the cast and crew. Relive every brilliant twist of the groundbreaking show’s complete series – uninterrupted – in this 5-disc collection. It's a must-have for any FlashForward fan!

FlashForward
1.01 No More Good Days
Writer: David S. Goyer (Created By), Brannon Braga (Created By), David S. Goyer (Screenwriter), Brannon Braga (Screenwriter), David S. Goyer (Story By), Brannon Braga (Story By), Robert J. Sawyer (Original Material By)
Director: David S. Goyer
Cast: Joseph Fiennes (Mark Benford), John Cho (Demetri Noh), Jack Davenport (Lloyd Simcoe), Zachary Knighton (Bryce Varley), Peyton List (Nicole Kirby), Brían F. O'Byrne (Aaron Star), Courtney B. Vance (Stan Wedeck), Sonya Walger (Olivia Benford), Christine Woods (Janis Hawk), Alex Kingston (Fiona Banks), Barry Shabaka Henley (Agent Vreede), Lee Thompson Young (Agent Al Gough), Rachel Roberts (Alda Hertzog), Genevieve Cortese (Tracy Stark), Lennon Wynn (Charlie Benford), Bryce Robinson (Dylan Simcoe), Ryan Wynott (Dylan Simcoe #2), Blair Redford (Joel), Kelly Galindo (Distressed Woman), Loren Lester (Neurologist), Ken Rudulph (Pundit # 1), Bill Lagattuta (Pundit # 2), Ted Garcia (Pundit # 3), Cynthia Addai-Robinson (Nurse), Kent Shocknek (Medical Correspondent), Daniel Zacapa (Hector), Ammar Daraiseh (Arabic Man # 1), Raj Maan (Arabic Man # 2), Brandon Bell (Paramedic # 1), Pete Koch (Paramedic # 2), Jim Lau (Asian Man), Chyna Layne (Nervous Woman), Cooper Huckabee (Trucker), Drake Kemper (Teenaged Boy), James Carraway (Older Man), Derwin Jordan (Person in the Crowd)

An interesting first episode. I am curious how they continued with this premise. At first glance it looks interesting, but I doubt that it is fitting for a series. It would better match a mini series. The people have a one-time flashforward to six month in the future. That point would ususally be reached after about half or maximum one season. Then either they would have to do another flashforward or rename the series :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
I have finished watching the "FlashForward" series. The premise worked surprisingly well. I enjoyed it till the end and now I am a little disappointed that it was not renewed for a second season.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
"Forever Knight" would be the next pilot to be reviewed but I am not in the mood for it. I still have to finish watching the first season. I decided to watch two later episodes instead. Now I have four episodes left two watch to get the season set done.
"Forever Knight" is a difficult series for me to get through. I find most episodes rather boring, with some episodes in-between which are okay to watch. But nothing so far which I would qualify as great.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
     Fraggle Rock: Season One (1983/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

HIT Entertainment (United States)
Length:715 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Plot:
From a fun-loving group of furry subterranean creatures cam: millions of fans, 100 original songs, 96 total episodes, 5 seasons, but only one First Season Boxed Set.

Dance your cares away with the complete first season of Fraggle Rock. Featuring all 24 episodes - never before available on DVD! Filled with all the Fraggley fun you've been waiting for. Share in the music and memories that have kept fans rockin' for more than twenty years!

So save your worries for another day and experience 715 minutes of frag-tastic fun in the ultimate Fraggle Rock collection.

Fraggle Rock
1.01 Beginnings
I enjoyed the Fraggles growing up. I always liked the Builders. Interestingly, Fraggles was localized by having the old man be portrayed by different people and even slightly different characters.
This first episode does a good job introducing us to the setting and the characters.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
     Frasier: Season One (1993/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:544 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Emmy® Award winner Kelsey Grammer is 'Frasier' - the hilarious psychiatrist first seen on TV's 'Cheers' and subsequently the star of this smash-hit comedy series. Making the move from Boston to his former hometown of Seattle, a newly divorced Dr. Frasier Crane (Grammer) finds himself on the radio airwaves as the host of his own call-in advice show. When he's not dealing with the problems of his troubled listeners, he's embroiled in skirmishes at home involving Marty, his retired police detective father; Daphne, his father's physical therapist; his younger brother (and rival) Niles; and Eddie... his father's devious dog! David Hyde Pierce, Jane Leeves, John Mahoney and Peri Gilpin complete the comedic cast in this award-winning sitcom - one of television's most enduring and funniest series. Enjoy all 24 complete episodes of 'Frasier's very first season in this four-disc collection!

Frasier
1.01 The Good Son (Pilot)
Writer: David Angell (Writer), Peter Casey (Writer), David Lee (Writer), Glen Charles (Original Characters By), Les Charles (Original Characters By)
Director: James Burrows
Cast: Kelsey Grammer (Dr. Frasier Crane), Jane Leeves (Daphne Moon), David Hyde Pierce (Dr. Niles Crane), Peri Gilpin (Roz Doyle), John Mahoney (Martin Crane), Linda Hamilton (Claire (voice)), Griffin Dunne (Russell), Cleto Augusto (Delivery Man), Gina Ravarra (Waitress), Moose (Eddie)

I started watching Frasier since the beginning, because I was fan of "Cheers". At first I was a little disappointed that they chose to go into a completely different way in this spin-off. But it worked out well. The series lasted 11 seasons just like Cheers did.
The characters are already well-established in this first episode. As a consequence there isn't really much growth for the characters throughout the series, which lessens the rewatch value slightly.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
     Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Shout! Factory, Sony Music Entertainment (United States)
Length:798 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
The fans demanded it, and so it has come. Freaks and Geeks, the Emmy award-winning series about the trials and tribulations of outsiders in 1980 Michigan is finally on DVD in its original form, with all of its original music. The complete series includes all 18 original episodes; the director's cut of the pilot with never-before-seen footage; deleted scenes; outtakes; behind-the-scenes footage and 29 commentary tracks by the actors, writers and directors who made the show. If you wanted it, it's in here. Even if you didn't want it, it's in here. So rock on and enjoy!

Freaks and Geeks
1.01 Pilot
Cast: Linda Cardellini (Lindsay Weir), John Francis Daley (Sam Weir), James Franco (Daniel Desario), Samm Levine (Neil Schweiber), Seth Rogen (Ken Miller), Jason Segel (Nick Andopolis), Martin Starr (Bill Haverchuck), Becky Ann Baker (Jean Weir), Joe Flaherty (Harold Weir), Dave "Gruber" Allen (Jeff Rosso), Ben Foster (Eli), Chauncey Leopardi (Alan White), Tom Wilson (Coach Ben Fredricks), Steve Bannos (Mr. Kowchevski), Brianna Brown (The Cheerleader), Lizzy Caplan (Girl #1), Gabriel Carpenter (The Football Player), David Michael Gangler, Jr. (Don), Marco Gould (Kevin), Sarah Hagan (Millie Kenter), Anna Coman-Hidy (Mousy Girl #2), Stacy Hogue (Karen), Jason Lansing (Bully #2), Jarrett Lennon (Colin), Ron Lester (Seidleman), Natasha Melnick (Cindy Sanders), Ashley Power (Popular Girl #1), Busy Philipps (Kim Kelly), Alan Simpson (Tom), Lea Sheppard (Harris), Mark Allan Staubach (Mark), Shaun Weiss (Sean), Kristy Wu (Mousy Girl)

A great series which sadly only got one season. This series felt more real than any other TV series about high school life that I have seen. I was constantly reminded about my own school. Nothing specific but the general feel to it.
This series also introduced me to a lot of actors who later popped up in many movies and TV shows. Like James Franco, Jason Segel and Seth Rogen.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
     The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Season One (1990/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:587 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1

Plot:
When a brash street kid from Philly moves to a Left Coast zip code even posher than 90210, cultures are sure to clash. But not to worry. The kid is Will Smith, and he'll have Bel-Air bustin' a move in no time! Smith was already a Grammy-winning rap artist when he shot to acting renown as the smart, wisecracking urban teen who's sent to live with wealthy relatives in an area so exclusive a former President drops in to share some Christmas cheer. This 2-disc DVD collection features lively bonus material plus all 24 Season-One Episodes, from Will's first day at the country club (which one is the fish fork?) to his first day at Bel-Air Prep School (sort of homeboy meets Harvard). When it comes to comedy, Fresh Prince rules!

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
1.01 The Fresh Prince Project
Writer: Benny Medina (Original Material By), Jeff Pollack (Original Material By), Andy Borowitz (Created By), Susan Borowitz (Created By), Andy Borowitz (Writer), Susan Borowitz (Writer)
Director: Debbie Allen
Cast: Will Smith (Will Smith), James Avery (Philip Banks), Janet Hubert (Vivian Banks), Alfonso Ribiero (Carlton Banks), Karyn Parsons (Hilary Banks), Tatyana M. Ali (Ashley Banks), Joseph Marcell (Geoffrey), Helen Page Camp (Margaret), John Petlock (Henry Furth)

I can't help myself but always sing along with the opening theme. This series is nice, light-hearted fun. Will Smith will grow as an actor with this series until making his major break in motion pictures with Independence Day.
Considering that this series was his first acting job, he did really great in the pilot episode, in my opinion.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
     Friends: Season One (1994/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:586 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.0, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Korean, Spanish

Plot:
You can never have enough Friends. With this DELUXE 4-DISC SET OF THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE, you have more: each episode contains NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN MOMENTS every fan of Friends will savor. And for all loyal patrons of Central Perk, we've brewed up a fresh pot brimming with BONUS FEATURES. Revisit that first year in which Rachel (JENNIFER ANISTON), Monica (COURTENEY COX), Phoebe (LISA KUDROW), Joey (MATT LeBLANC), Chandler (MATTHEW PERRY) and Ross (DAVID SCHWIMMER) first charmed audiences worldwide. You'll be in fabulous company.

Friends
1.01 The Pilot
Writer: Marta Kauffman (Writer), David Crane (Writer)
Director: James Burrows
Cast: Jennifer Aniston (Rachel Green), Courteney Cox (Monica Geller), Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe Buffay), Matt Le Blanc (Joey Tribbiani), Matthew Perry (Chandler Bing), David Schwimmer (Ross Geller), John Allen Nelson (Paul), Clea Lewis (Franny), Cynthia Mann (The Waitress), Barry Hine (The Guy in the Coffee House)

I never missed an episode when this series originally aired. At first I saw the first few seasons on German TV (pre-DVD and pre-broadband internet era made it hard to be able to see anything in the original language). Soon I discovered English transcripts of the latest episodes on the net and found out this way, that the German translation was horrible compared to the original.
The pilot does a good job introducing the characters. But it is hardly one of the better episodes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
Skipping the mini series "From the Earth to the Moon".