Author Topic: The Movies From Within My Lifetime  (Read 98099 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies From Within My Lifetime
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:58 AM »
It's because you don't watch TQS or V as it's call now. The trailer for the movie was shown 100 times a day, the fact that Karine Vanasse is the girlfriend of the station owner sure help :whistle:

But the trailer grew up on me, the movie almost feel like a good version of Wolf Creek mixed with Duel. The facts it isn't a comedy and no humorist "act" in this also help...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:39:28 AM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
Well, if it has Karine Vanasse in it, I will eventually see it, that's 100% sure.  :drooling:

As for not watching V, well you can also put TVA, RC and TQ in the lot ... the channels I "watch" are RDS and Discovery, and that's for 3 specific shows: Hockey, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters. Also, I watch them all from my PC, so I skip all ads. So basically, chances of me being aware of a new movie from Quebec? Very slim.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »

Title: Love Story
Year: 1970
Director: Arthur Hiller
Rating: PG
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Ali MacGraw
Ryan O'Neal
John Marley
Ray Milland
Russell Nype
Katharine Balfour

Plot:
Everyone loves "Love Story!" One of the most romantic movies ever made also remains one of the most enduringly popular. This heartfelt 1970 tale of the love of a lifetime — the most successful Paramount movie up to that time — received seven Academy Award® nominations (including Best Picture) and won one for Francis Lai’s magnificent score.

As filming was underway on "Love Story," the filmmakers knew they had something special — so special that Eric Segal was simultaneously shaping his best-selling novel from his own screenplay. Stars Ryan O’Neal and Ali McGraw each received Academy Award® nominations and became overnight movie sensations for their poignant portrayals of a young couple who cross social barriers, marry and ultimately face the greatest crisis of all.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I will admit... I was a little hesitant choosing this one right now as it isn't my normal fair that I enjoy. But more then one person wanted me to review this movie.... so thought I would give it a go. I found I really have mixed feelings about this one. The story is a good one for the most part... even though they had to make things go a little quickly to fit everything in. But that is OK... I can handle that. The main problem I had with this one is that all the characters are just unlikable. I couldn't relate to any of them. I main guy in this one I found to be stubborn to the extreme. Really pig-headed. And the main girl I found to be awful snobbish for someone coming from such a poor background.... the way she acted... the way she talked... pretty much everything. The did improve on her... but to me it was no more then too little.... too late. And I really didn't like the supporting characters any more then the main characters. But despite all that it has a good story... and I did find myself being drawn in. Especially towards the end... which without going into too much detail hit a little too close to home for me.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
In this year... sitcom All In The Family debuts.... Apollo 14 lands on the Moon.... Evel Knievel sets a world record and jumps 19 cars.... Walt Disney World opens in Orlando, Florida.

My choices:
Titles in Italic are from my Unwatched Pile
- The Abominable Dr. Phibes
- Dirty Harry
- Duel
- Escape from the Planet of the Apes
- If Tomorrow Comes
- Lady Frankenstein
- Legacy of Blood
- Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring
- The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
- A Tattered Web
- Web of the Spider
- The Werewolf and the Vampire Woman
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »

Title: Legacy of Blood
Year: 1971
Director: Carl Monson
Rating: NR
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Rodolfo Acosta
Merry Anders
Norman Bartold
Ivy Bethune
John Carradine
Richard Davalos

Plot:
An aged millionaire passes on and leaves his four children his large fortune. According to his will, the four heirs must spend one week at his estate in order to split up the fortune. If any of the heirs leave or die before the week is out, the remaining children will receive the money and if all the heirs are gone, the servants will gain the inheritance. Once everyone has arrived and the estate and settled in, strange things begin to happen and the heirs begin to turn up dead. Who is killing them and can the remaining heirs find out before it's too late?

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I actually have 2 copies of this movie on DVD. One in a double feature DVD release along with the movie Embryo. The other copy is in a box set I bought a while ago called Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack.  I originally grabbed the double feature DVD simply because it was easier to find. But when I saw the quality of that disc I put it back and took a chance the big boxset would have better quality. And it did indeed.

The movie itself left a bit to be desired. The story is averagely entertaining at best. The acting in most parts could use some serious help. Some scenes were entertaining enough for me to keep watching... but I am actually kind of surprised I made it through the entire movie. Over all... I can't recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
In this year... The Godfather is released in cinemas in the United States..... Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney co-found Atari..... The last U.S. ground troops are withdrawn from Vietnam..... The first female FBI agents are hired.

My choices:
- Frenzy
- Deliverance
- Die, Sister Die
- Dr. Phibes Rides Again!
- Frogs
- The Last House on the Left
- Moon of the Wolf
- The Murder Mansion
- The Night Stalker
- Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
- Stanley
- Tales from the Crypt
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
I think you should watch Frenzy.  That was the next-to-last film for famed director Alfred Hitchcock and it's terrific. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
I was thinking about it Roger... but afraid to take away from my ongoing Hitchcock review thread. I will have to check to see where it falls in that thread. If not too soon from now I won't mind watching it now and again for that thread.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
Duh... read Pete! You did already say it was the next to last of his films!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »

Title: Frenzy: The Masterpiece Collection
Year: 1972
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Rating: R
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Jon Finch
Barry Foster
Barbara Leigh-Hunt
Anna Massey
Alec McCowen
Vivien Merchant

Plot:
Jon Finch, Alec McCowen and Barry Foster star in this morbid blend of horror and wit - the first Hitchcock film to earn an "R" rating. The Necktie Murderer has the London Police on red alert and an innocent man is on a desperate quest to find the real sex criminal and clear his name. Alternating heart-pounding tension with distinctive Hitchcock humor, Frenzy marked the Master of Suspense’s return to his native England after almost 20 years.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this Hitchcock classic. And I must say... I loved every minute of it! The story kept me glued to my seat from start to finish. I found that the movie has a really good pace to it. While it does of course have slower scenes... it never slows down to the point that even the slightest bit of boredom sets in.  I think the entire cast... main stars and supporting cast alike... did a great job. I did find this movie to be a more graphic movie then any other Hitchcock movie I have seen in the past. So it does show a change in the times that occurred by the early '70s. This movie not only made it into my top favorite Hitchcock movies... but top favorite movies period.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
In this year... CBS sells the New York Yankees for $10 million to a 12-person syndicate led by George Steinbrenner..... The first handheld cellular phone call is made by Martin Cooper..... Watergate scandal: Televised hearings begin in the United States Senate.

My choices:
- Battle of the Planet of the Apes
- Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
- Crypt of the Living Dead
- Don't Look in the Basement
- Enter the Dragon
- The Exorcist
- The Exorcist: The Version You Never Seen
- From Beyond the Grave
- Invasion of the Bee Girls
- The Legend of Hell House
- Magnum Force
- Messiah of Evil
- The Night Strangler
- Sssssss
- Theater of Blood
- Vampire's Night Orgy
- Vault of Horror
- Voodoo Black Exorcist
- The Werewolf of Washington
- The Wicker Man
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
Awesome review on Frenzy, Pete!  :clap: it followed several difficult productions for Hitchcock in America, and this really felt like him cutting loose and ramping up the fun of being really nasty! Consider also that it was filmed in the market where his father worked and this is getting back to his roots in more ways than one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »

Title: Crypt of the Living Dead
Year: 1973
Director: Ray Danton
Length: 85 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Andrew Prine
Mark Damon
Patty Shepard
Teresa Gimpera
Ihsan Gedik
Mariano García Rey

Plot:
An archeologist visits a remote island to bury his late father and, despite the warnings from the local people, opens the tomb of the vampire queen, buried over 700 years ago. This foolish act by the archeologist and his reporter friend places the entire island in danger, including the local school teacher that the two men are rivals for her affection. With the school teacher in danger of being a sacrifice to the vampire queen, the duo sets out to stop the vampires, rescue the teacher and destroy the vampire queen.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Not even 15 minutes into this movie and I was already feeling bored. Not a good sign but I decided to stick with it since it was so early. I was a bit surprised to see a movie made in 1973 to be black and white. Not that I mind... just wasn't expecting it. On the other hand I was kinda expecting a bad movie... but this one really bored me. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into it. Every time they had a decent scene... it lost it's momentum as fast as it came. Another stinker out of the Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »
In this year... People magazine's first issue released. Mia Farrow is on the cover... Stephen King publishes Carrie, his first novel under his own name... U.S. President Richard Nixon announces his resignation.

My choices:
- Black Christmas
- Blazing Saddles
- The Borrowers
- Count Dracula and his Vampire Bride
- Curse of the Headless Horseman
- Death Sentence
- Deranged
- Disappearance of Flight 412
- The Driver's Seat
- Horror of the Zombies
- Madhouse
- Moon of the Wolf
- The Odessa File
- Rumble in Hong Kong
- The Satanic Rites of Dracula
- Scream of the Wolf
- Silent Night, Bloody Night
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- White Fang to the Rescue
- Young Frankenstein
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »

Title: Horror of the Zombies
 AKA: The Blind Dead 3         
Year: 1974
Director: Amando De Ossorio
Length: 89 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Maria Perschy
Jack Taylor
Barbara Rey
Carlos Lemos
Manuel de Blas
Blanca Estrada

Plot:
A yachtsman and his group are searching for some missing women when they come across a fog-enshrouded Spanish galleon drifting at sea. Boarding the ancient vessel to look for the missing women, the group stumbles upon a horrifying discovery. Aboard the ship are the undead legions of the Knights Templar, who are cursed to roam the Earth to plague the living and consume the flesh of their victims.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This morning I really felt like a horror movie I never seen before. while looking over the list I the title of this one grabbed me... so I looked into it a little to see if I was in the mood for it. That is when I found out it is an alternate title for The Blind Dead 3. I know this series has a cult following with a lot of horror fans. While I was a little concerned about starting with the 3rd in the series... my curiosity got the best of me so I thought I would test the series out with this one. I wouldn't say I was hugely impressed... but I did enjoy it for what it is. It was definitely enough to keep my interest. It also kept my curiosity about the films before it... as it is normal for the earlier movies to be the better ones. But over all... I found this one to be a fairly average movie. Entertaining enough to waste an hour and a half with... but not something that you should expect too much from.

This is another movie that is in the Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack. The audio and video on this movie was better then I was expecting on this movie because of the fact that it is in one of those cheap boxsets. But there is one thing I didn't care about here... and I have seen this on most the movies I watched in this set already. Why does Mill Creek (company putting out these sets) feel the need to place their logo in the bottom right corner of the video? Sure it is only on there about 30 seconds each time off and on a couple times through the movies. While I can deal with it... it is still a little aggravating.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete