Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Animated Superhero Movies  (Read 15592 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Animated Superhero Movies
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon

Animated Superhero Movies
I recently gotten the urge to watch all my animated Superhero movies. Whether they are DC or Marvel... I would like to attempt to watch all 19 Animated features I have in my collection. I know this sounds like a lot... but considering these movies are rather short (usually less then an hour and a half each)... I think it is possible. Matter of fact between each movie I plan on watching a Superman short from this set...

The New Adventures of Superman
Originally produced by Filmation Associates, this animated Superman was among the first Saturday morning cartoon shows showcasing the adventures of a Super Hero. In each suspenseful, action-packed six-minute caper, Superman defeats out-of-this-world dangers like mermen living beneath the Earth's core, energy controlling aliens and time-traveling magicians. Favorite villains the Toyman, Brainiac and archnemesis Lex Luthor also challenge the Man of Steel, but he doles out justice with the simple mantra "This is a job for Superman™." These 36 episodes of retro fun will make younger and older spirits soar!

The movies I will be attempting to watch this weekend...

- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
- The Batman vs. Dracula
- The Batman Superman Movie
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
- Doctor Strange
- Green Lantern: First Flight
- Hulk vs. Thor
- Hulk vs. Wolverine
- The Invincible Iron Man
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- Justice League: The New Frontier
- Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
- Superman Batman: Public Enemies
- Superman: Doomsday
- Superman: Brainiac Attacks
- Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
- Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panther
- Wonder Woman

So that is 19 movies and 18 shorts I will be attempting to watch between Friday and Sunday. Not necessarily in the above order. Will I be able to do it?... only time will tell. Lets just hope real life don't get in the way this weekend!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Animated Superhero Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »

Title: The Batman Superman Movie
Year: 1997
Director: Toshihiko Masuda
Rating: NR
Length: 61 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tim Daly
Dana Delany
Kevin Conroy
Clancy Brown
Mark Hamill
Arleen Sorkin

Plot:
BATMAN, SUPERMAN, THE JOKER and LEX LUTHOR all come together in the most action-packed superhero adventure of all time.

When THE JOKER elicits the help of LEX LUTHOR in a fiendish new scheme, only the combined powers of BATMAN and SUPERMAN can save the city of METROPOLIS. Will the MAN OF STEEL and the CAPED CURSADER be able to put aside their differences and foil the diabolical duo's evil plans?

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Interactive Games
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is actually a 3 part episode of (I believe it was) Superman: The Animated Series that was released as an animated movie. I kinda liked how they find out about each others secret identities. I enjoyed the story on this one. And I am glad I have the movie... even if I already have the episodes that it was made of.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
Superman Short:

The Magnetic Monster
A magnetic device that melts metal objects is used by alien beings on Earth.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed watching this short. It really brought back memories of my childhood.... sitting in front of the in my pajamas with a bowl of serial on Saturday mornings. So a nice piece of nostalgia. I even recreated it a little by having myself a bowl of cereal while watching this morning... even if I was sitting in front of a computer instead of a TV (to get vidcap). Even back when this was made... Lois never fails to get herself in trouble.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »

Title: The Batman vs Dracula
Year: 2005
Director: Michael Goguen
Rating: NR
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Rino Romano
Peter Stormare
Tara Strong
Tom Kenny
Kevin Michael Richardson
Alastair Duncan

Plot:
Gotham City sleeps under the cover of darkness while two legendary bats take flight.

One is turning the city into an army of vampires while the other does everything he can to stop the mayhem. But Dracula isn't just like on of the Batman's usual foes: he's got supernatural powers of strength, speed, and mind control. Even with his arsenal of high-tech gadgets, the Dark Knight is still a mortal man. This is the one face-off that could clip the Batman's wings permanently! Also starring favorite characters like the Joker, Penguin, and Vicki Vale, in her first appearance in the series, this feature-length animated movie is fang-tastic.

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This animated movie was given to me not too long ago. And was my first taste of this version of Batman (The Batman from Kids WB). I had mixed feelings on how they did the animation for this show... some of the characters I like how they did... others looked a little too different for my taste. I prefer the way Batman looks in The Animated Series... But they did do a good job on both The Joker and Penguin. Speaking of Penguin... he really made the show in this one. He had me literally laugh out loud in more then 1 scene. What I like about this movie is that Batman goes up against real vampires... including of course Dracula. They were a little inconsistent on some of the vampire stuff... like no reflection in the mirror... yet "vampire Joker" had his reflection shown in the test tubes full of blood. But over all... I really enjoyed watching this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Superman Short:

The Toys of Doom
Phoning in an anonymous tip to lure Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen to an abandoned factory on the outskirts of Metropolis, Toyman captures Lois and Jimmy to help launch a wave of crime and keep Superman away.

My Thoughts:
This one is an ok short. ... but nothing all that special. For some reason I never cared too much for the villain "Toyman". So between that... and the fact that these toons are so short (6 to 7min each)... it really didn't have much of a chance to give much of a story. Resulting in this being my least favorite short on this set so far.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »

Title: Wonder Woman: Two-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2008
Director: Lauren Montgomery
Rating: PG-13
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Keri Russell
Nathan Fillion
Alfred Molina
Rosario Dawson
Marg Helgenberger
Oliver Platt

Plot:
On the mystical island of Themyscira, a proud, strong warrior race of Amazon women lives in a utopian civilization shielded from the corrupt world of man. But a betrayal within the Amazon sisterhood leads to the escape of Ares, the God of War, and Amazon Princess Diana must capture him before he unleashes global chaos and destruction. With the aid of cocky fighter pilot Steve Trevor, Diana tracks Ares to the United States for a battle unlike any humankind has ever faced. Alfred Molina, Virginia Madsen, Oliver Platt, Rosario Dawson and David McCallum – infuses thunder and passion into this epic tale of the princess who becomes the World's Greatest Super Heroine.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Digital Copy
2 Bonus Cartoons

My Thoughts:
enjoyed this movie just as much this time as I did the first time I watched it a few months ago. This movie is definitely heavier on the violence as well as some suggestive dialog. So it is not one for the kiddies... but I don't think it is to bad... I would say the teens on up would enjoy this movie. One thing I did find a little on the strange side is that you don't hear the name Wonder Woman till the end of the movie. But that is such a minor thing it doesn't matter in the least. The one problem I did have with this movie... and is true about all the animated super hero movies I have seen... is the short run time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Superman Short:

The Iron Eater
A shapeshifting alien creature that emerged from a fallen meteorite who devours metal structures raises havoc.

My Thoughts:
This one I actually enjoyed a bit more then the previous couple of shorts. I enjoyed the little story... and this time it felt like the short length didn't hurt it any. Though I do think they got a little on the lazy side when it came to designing the creature.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »
While I am going to still try to get several more watched this weekend... thanks to my idiotic brother there is no way I will get to them all.

The night before last my idiotic, hard-headed, stupid brother broke his foot. To the point of a small bone sticking out of the top of his foot. And the idiot refuses to go to the hospital! He somehow managed to push the bone back in... so he thinks he can wrap it and let it heal as it is. Hopefully with some more convincing we can change his mind. But either way... whether I have a complete idiot for a brother that just will not listen... or if we end up spending half the day at the hospital... I really doubt there is any way of getting ALL of them watched. Though I will do all I can!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »

Title: Superman Batman: Public Enemies: 2-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2009
Director: Sam Liu
Rating: PG-13
Length: 67 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Clancy Brown
Kevin Conroy
Tim Daly
Xander Berkeley
Corey Burton
Ricardo Chavira

Plot:
A desperate solution for a troubled country: Lex Luthor for president with the Justice League in the service of the government. Only Batman and Superman stand against the new regime - and their disloyalty proves to be exactly what Luthor intended. Using their outcast status to instigate a scandal against Superman, Luthor finally tastes a victory in his vendetta against the Man of Steel. From Executive Producer Bruce Timm and voiced by the cast from both hit Batman and Superman animated TV series including Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown, this DC Universe Original Animated Movie based on Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness's popular graphic novel seethes with Political intrigue and action-packed battles between heroes all believing they're on the right side of the law.

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews
Digital Copy
2 Bonus Cartoons.

My Thoughts:
This is my second time watching this one since I got it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how they had so many heroes and villains from the DC Universe. Some of which I was familiar with... some I was not. I was originally a little concerned when I read the storyline and seen they made Lex Luthor president. But I found the story to be very entertaining. I am not sure if this one is based on a series of the comic books or not as I don't read comics... so I can't say how or if it compares. But if you like some of the other superhero animated movies out there... I would recommend this one as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
The night before last my idiotic, hard-headed, stupid brother broke his foot. To the point of a small bone sticking out of the top of his foot. And the idiot refuses to go to the hospital!
That sound like me :-[
But you must understand that going in a hospital here is like going to hell... Sometimes in the hours you wait untill a nurse can see you (or a doctor if you are really lucky) two things can happen : You got fine and you have lost a day waiting or you are worse because of the disease of the others waiting...

Of course it's free but sometimes free equals crappy service...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:33:18 AM »
The bone was sticking out of his foot and he won't to the hospital??  He really needs to go...that is a more serious break and it should be treated properly so it can heal properly.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 03:24:33 AM »
 :o

How about calling an ambulance? I'd say the injur is severe enough to warrant that anyway (the ambulance will agree, brother obviously doesn't).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
He ended up taking off on me Achim... I seemed to push him a little too hard. But even if I called he would never get into the ambulance. He is hard headed like that.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
Superman Short:

The Ape Army of the Amazon
In South America, an exiled military officer named Colonel Vasta and a disgraced scientist named Dr. Rucas control apes with the transmitter on Dr. Rucas' back in a plot to rob an underground treasure.

My Thoughts:
What to say about this one? It isn't a bad one. More an average fair. It isn't bad enough to disappoint... but it isn't special enough to be very memorable.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
I thought I said this at the beginning of the thread... but apparently I didn't. I just wanted to mention I have reviewed all these movies here before so no need to add them to the review list. It is not as if my opinions has changed on them. Not yet at least! :P
Pete