Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011  (Read 111813 times)

Najemikon

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
You must look up Citizen Kane, Kevin. I think I saw this film years ago and remember thinking it was good. Kane though is a different matter. Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it was a vital milestone in American cinema. I love it anyway. It's so rich and powerful, I can't believe it wasn't recognised.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
I have Citizen Kane and have even moved it up my to watch queue. My mother just raves about the movie so I'm sure she will be pleased when I can finally talk to her about it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2011, 02:32:29 AM »
They would give O'Hara and Pidgeon top billing for this but the true stars are Donald Crisp (he won Best Supporting Actor) and Anna Lee who greatly reminds me of Jane Darwell in The Grapes Of Wrath. These two play the traditionalist parents who can no longer keep their idealistic flock of children in check.

Actually, Anna Lee played a wife of one of the sons killed in mining accident. The mother was played by Sara Allgood.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2011, 02:37:08 AM »
You must look up Citizen Kane, Kevin. I think I saw this film years ago and remember thinking it was good. Kane though is a different matter. Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it was a vital milestone in American cinema. I love it anyway. It's so rich and powerful, I can't believe it wasn't recognised.

Have you ever seen the documentary The Battle Over Citizen Kane? In it, it explains that the moguls were afraid of getting Hearst even madder, so they sabotaged it at the Oscars.

Najemikon

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »
Not properly, but I do have it on the DVD. Keep meaning to invest the time it deserves. See also a dozen other documentaries rattling around as extra features! doh...  :-[

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
They would give O'Hara and Pidgeon top billing for this but the true stars are Donald Crisp (he won Best Supporting Actor) and Anna Lee who greatly reminds me of Jane Darwell in The Grapes Of Wrath. These two play the traditionalist parents who can no longer keep their idealistic flock of children in check.

Actually, Anna Lee played a wife of one of the sons killed in mining accident. The mother was played by Sara Allgood.

My bad.  :-[  I got mixed up when I was extracting names from IMDB. Thanks for the correction.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2011, 01:07:22 AM »
Relentless

Title:Relentless
Year: 1989
Director: William Lustig
Rating: R
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Judd Nelson (1959)
Robert Loggia
Leo Rossi
Meg Foster
Patrick O'Bryan

Plot:
A sadistic serial killer holds Los Angeles in the grip of unspeakable fear in this hard-hitting action-thriller.

Rejected from the police force on psychological grounds, Buck Taylor (Judd Nelson) exacts revenge by committing a string of brutal murders and taunting the LAPD. The only clues are pages torn from a telephone book and victims who appear to have somehow participated in their own deaths. But when a brash rookie detective (Leo Rossi) pairs up with a cynical veteran (Robert Loggia) to track down the killer, the cat-and-mouse game ends in a deadly fight to the finish.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

There are three notable Judd Nelson movies from his career that should be watched. Forget the Brat Pack movies... watch New Jack City, From The Hip, and this movie, Relentless.

Here he plays young Buck Taylor, abused as a child by his domineering cop father who, now grown up, recently has his enrollment to the police academy rejected based on his failed psych evaluation. Already in a frail mental state, his perceived failure causes him to crack and go on a random killing spree in which he makes his victims participate in their own murders.

First time I watched this years ago I said WOW! Serial killer movies are nothing new but I liked the unique twist of Nelson's character forcing his helpless victims to actual hold the instruments of their death all the while cooing softly "C'mon... you can do it. See... it's easy!" Wicked! Nelson nailed the calm, simple demeanor of a man who knows exactly what he is doing which utter confidence as he taunts the police.

Leo Rossi and Robert Loggia are the detectives trying to nail him while trying not to kill each other as they bicker on how to go about it. Meg Foster is in this as Rossi's wife and she has the absolute creepiest eyes I have ever seen.  :-\ Combined they make a strong supporting cast.

There were three sequels to this, all starring Leo Rossi and they were all rubbish compared to the original. If you have never seen Relentless I highly recommend it!

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »
First time I watched this years ago I said WOW! Serial killer movies are nothing new but I liked the unique twist of Nelson's character forcing his helpless victims to actual hold the instruments of their death all the while cooing softly "C'mon... you can do it. See... it's easy!" Wicked! Nelson nailed the calm, simple demeanor of a man who knows exactly what he is doing which utter confidence as he taunts the police.
:o I seemed so original when they did it in Dexter on TV... So this is where that came from.

William Lustig is quite the interesting film maker. I will see if I can find this on DVD.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 04:29:24 AM »
:o I seemed so original when they did it in Dexter on TV... So this is where that came from.

William Lustig is quite the interesting film maker. I will see if I can find this on DVD.

I never really made that connection but you are right... perhaps Relentless did provide some inspiration there.  :clap:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:07 AM »
The Human Contract

Title:The Human Contract
Year: 2008
Director: Jada Pinkett Smith
Length: 107 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Jada Pinkett Smith
Jason Clarke
Paz Vega
Idris Elba
Steven Brand

Plot:
Corporate player Julian Wright (Jason Clarke) stands on the verge of the deal of his career. But his life just crossed paths with a woman (Paz Vega) who will turn his world upside down, triggering emotions Julian never knew he had. As he pursues her in a dangerous game of seduction, he is forced to confront his past. Ultimately, Julian must face the dark family secrets that continue to haunt him and his troubled sister (Jada Pinkett Smith). Jada Pinkett Smith makes her directorial debut with this sophisticated, stylish and suspenseful film.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Directorial debut of Jada Pinkett Smith which was much better than I was expecting. The ending left a boatload of unanswered questions but it was compelling to watch throughout.  :popcorn:

An arrogant, hotshot corporate prick named Julian, played by an ugly Jason Clarke (he's the spitting image of Quentin Tarantino) after meeting up with a beautiful free spirit named Michael, played by Paz Vega, has his wall of defenses, born of a troubled childhood, slowly begin to disintegrate.

Very slow pace to this film but not in a bad way as the time is used to deftly develop the interesting characters. Some intensely erotic scenes make things interesting as well.

Jason Clarke, despite a face that only a mother could love, is a very intense, good young actor whom I'd like to see more from. Paz Vega is a gorgeous woman but it's unfortunate she has to speak. I've always found her rapid, clipped dialogue rather exasperating and difficult to understand at times although here she does manage to convey a lot of emotion.

Good supporting roles from Idris Elba, Jada Pinkett Smith and Ted Danson along with an excellent musical score make this a surprising good pick up of a movie that I knew little to nothing about. I'd recommend this for a watch.

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:11:51 AM by KinkyCyborg »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2011, 04:09:46 AM »
Bad Company

Title:Bad Company
Year: 1995
Director: Damian Harris (1958)
Length: 0 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ellen Barkin
Laurence Fishburne
Frank Langella (1938)
Michael Beach
Gia Carides

Plot:
Dynamic stars and edge-of-your-seat suspense electrify 'Bad Company', the sexy thriller that's charged with red-hot erotic energy! Laurence Fishburne ('What's Love Got to Do With It', 'The Matrix') is Nelson Crowe, a deep-cover CIA operative with a deadly assignment: infiltrate a highly secret industrial espionage firm. Once inside, he teams with Margaret Wells (Ellen Barkin - 'Sea of Love', 'Someone Like You') a master spy and seductive manipulator, in a plot to overthrow the organization's sinister president (Frank Langella - 'Dave'). It's an explosive situation as the dangerous power play leads Crowe and Well into a darkly mysterious web of intrigue - and shocking murder!

Extras:

My Thoughts:

Great movie! Absolutely no loyalties as every one double crosses and is double crossed in turn. Ellen Barkin is a spectacle to watch in this one as she is sexy scary and perpetually horny throughout the film. I also love it in a movie when a seemingly afterthought of a character ends up being a focal point to the plot as was the case here. Laurence Fishburne and Frank Langella are solid and it was good to see David Ogden Stiers again. Wicked ending!!

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2011, 03:16:07 AM »
I'm getting terribly behind in my reviews... I have a stack of watched movies here to write blurbs for so expect a bunch over the next few days.

Hot Fuzz

Title:Hot Fuzz
Year: 2007
Director: Edgar Wright
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spanish: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), French: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Commentary, Trivia

Stars:
Simon Pegg
Martin Freeman
Bill Nighy
Robert Popper
Joe Cornish

Plot:
Get ready for a gut-busting, outrageous comedy from the guys that created Shaun of the Dead. Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) is a big-city cop who can't be stopped - but he's making everyone else on the force look bad. When he is reassigned to a small, quiet town, he struggles with this new, seemingly idyllic world and his bumbling partner (Nick Frost). But their dull existence is interrupted by several grisly and suspicious accidents, and the crime-fighting duo turn up the heat and hand out high-octane, car-chasing, gun-fighting, big-city justice in this hilarious hit critics are calling "Outrageous! Uproariously funny!" (Thelma Adams, US WEEKLY).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Storyboard Comparisons
Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This movie is a personal favorite of my son who has a penchant for adoring truly stupid and ridiculous comedies so I started watching this with a bit of apprehension while trying to keep in mind how much I did enjoy Shaun Of The Dead.

I must give my son credit this time... he picked a winner.  :clap: While this doesn't quite ascend to the heights achieved by SOTD it still scores high marks equally for both comedy and action.

Pegg and Frost definitely have chemistry and play well off each other. For me, Frost is the funnier of the two in his clueless, bumbling manner. If they ever produced a UK tribute/rendition of the movie BIG, Frost would be my automatic choice.  :thumbup:

Hot Fuzz keeps you involved with some perfectly timed moments of humor, good doses of action and a collection of twisted characters, each of whom come with their own distinctive and quirky traits. Timothy Dalton is in his element as the ever charming villain who could talk his way out of straight jacket. He had fun with this one you could tell.

Much of what you see would be completely implausible but it works anyways, dragging you into the thrill of the moment. Some outrageous scenes of gore might seem a bit excessive but not surprising given director Edgar Wright's other efforts.

Great movie that I shall look to revisit from time to time.

KC

Rating: and a half.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:14 AM »
My Brother The Pig

Title:My Brother The Pig
Year: 1999
Director: Erik Fleming
Rating: PG
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Nick Fuoco
Scarlett Johansson
Judge Reinhold
Romy Windsor [Romy Walthall]
Eva Mendes [Eva Mendez]

Plot:
Being a teen is tough enough for Kathy Cauldwell (Scarlett Johansson) without having to be the target of her little brother George's constant practical jokes. But life really gets crazy when Dad (Judge Reinhold) and Mom leave for France and George is magically transformed into a pig via some ancient rocks belonging to their nanny Matilda (Eva Mendes). Only Matilda's Mexican Grandmother's voodoo can break the spell, and Kathy, Matilda, George the Pig, and George's friend Freud (Alex D. Linz) take off on a madcap adventure south of the border to find her. But things go from bad to worse when George is pignapped by the local butcher. Now, the race is on for the group to save George from becoming bacon, turn him back into a boy, and get back home before their unsuspecting parents return. "My Brother The Pig" is a funny and heart-warming tale for the whole family.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Adequate family fare that will work for it's intended audience, kids in the 5-12 year old range. Personally I found it a bit boring and my mind kept wandering. A brat of a younger brother gets turned into a pig and the siblings plus the nanny must turn him back before the parents come home from France.  ??? Ho hum... The most eye catching feature of this film is a younger Eva Mendes looking as sexy as sexy can be.  ;) A cute Scarlett Johansson, 16 years old at the time, already shows us the beauty she will become but man did I find her snotty teenage character annoying. Judge Reinhold makes an appearance as well, goofy looking and clueless as usual.

I'll likely throw this on again for my daughter to watch but once is enough for me.

KC

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2011, 03:24:35 AM »
Hot Fuzz gets better every time I see it. The basic joke of having an all action thriller in a sleepy English village is fantastic!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
Hot Fuzz gets better every time I see it. The basic joke of having an all action thriller in a sleepy English village is fantastic!

Just added to my library queue.