Author Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:30:22 AM »

Series Details
Rating: NR
Seasons: 3 (known as "Books" in the series)
Episodes: 61
Produced: 2005-2006

Plot
The world is divided into four element-based nations. Within each — Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads — are inhabitants who can control the element for which their nation is known. While this gift is not afforded to every member of a nation, it still takes practice to master these element-controlling abilities, known as "bending." Likewise, these people can only bend the element connected to their heritage.

There is, however, one exception to these elemental rules. Once every few generations, although born into one of the four nations, one person has the abilities within to control all four elements. Known as the Avatar, it is his duty to help with keeping peace and balance between the four nations.

The story begins in a time of despair. One-hundred years earlier, the Avatar disappeared and the Fire Nation used this opportunity to attack the other nations with the goal of controlling the entire world. With the Fire Nation nearing success, the new Avatar is discovered suspended within an iceberg: a 12-year-old Airbender, born over 100 years ago, with no knowledge of the past century's events.

The last-remaining member of his nation, he must learn to control all four elements and, by mastering them, hope to stop the Fire Nation before it's too late.

Additional Background Information
Like the countries of our planet, the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender shows significant contrasts between its nations. Each bending art is based on a different form of martial arts: air- and water-bending motions weave and flow while earth- and fire-bending styles are firm and abrupt.

Each lifestyle is also element-based: Waterbenders use the water for food and protection; Earthbenders are good farmers and can hold their own against heavy bombardment from other elements; Airbenders are lighthearted and undisturbing to nature; Firebenders are good forgers but can often leave devastation in their wake, taking what was created by others.

Even the color pallets for the series — from landscape to clothing — significantly reflect each nation. Cool blues and sharp white tones cover the Water Tribes. The Earth Kingdom is represented by colors of nature: deep greens, dirt browns, and desert-sand yellows. The Fire Nation is overlain with deep reds, stark yellows, and cold gray and black tones. The Air Nomads are portrayed through a variety of the other nation's hues: cloud-like whites, sky blues, lush greens, and soft browns and grays.

My Thoughts
The creators of this Emmy Award-winner hit a grand-slam home run with this series. The storyline is clear and solid with nice character and relationship developments. Although designed for the 8- to 12-year-old demographic, it contains a wide range of emotions and information that keeps the story interesting for older viewers along with a perfect mixture of action and comedy to hold the attention of children. The artistic style is breathtaking. I still find myself freeze-framing my DVDs just to view the detail put into the landscapes, interiors, and some action sequences.

This is the type of series that I feel can be enjoyed worldwide since, though it holds connections with some specific cultures, it does not directly focus on any Earth countries. In fact, throughout the series, the only culture-based negative I have to speak of was a single use of the word "stupid," through a caring voice, when speaking of one nation's belief in arranged marriages — a practice still approved of in many countries today but generally frowned upon in the United States. (The only other negative in general is that a great voice actor, Mako Iwamatsu, passed away between recordings of the second and third seasons. This loss resulted in a new actor taking his place as the voice of a key character which is one of my greatest upsets for any series. With a different voice — though attempting to match the original — comes a different tone and mood, and for me the character did not have nearly the same feel in the final season.)

As the first and only complete television series that I own and an absolute favorite of mine (dare I say, one of the best animated series ever created), I urge anyone who enjoys animation (and even some who don't) to give this series a chance. You might be surprised at what you find!

My Rating:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:08:22 AM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »
I've been thinking about getting this one but I'm trying hard to downsize. Maybe I'll get it once you have contributed ALL the data to the database!  :tease:

Critter

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
Yay finally another Airbender fan in this forum! I watched this show last year and watched every single episode in the space of a couple of weeks, I was hooked! I haven't got them on DVD yet but I am planning to buy the book collections.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:45:03 AM »
Well then, you'd better get crackin' Kathy!

I didn't submit to all of the individual volumes, but I did finally contribute all data to each of the three main book collections.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »
I just recently bought the Book 1 collection to see what the excitement is about. Unfortunately my unwatched pile is sky high :bag: I do want to watch this soon though, in case I want to get the other two boxes, I would want to get the matching pair...

So Blair, do I understand that correct, you are also using DVD Profiler?

Critter

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »
I just recently bought the Book 1 collection to see what the excitement is about. Unfortunately my unwatched pile is sky high :bag: I do want to watch this soon though, in case I want to get the other two boxes, I would want to get the matching pair...

That's great news Achim! The first couple of episode of book 1 are a bit slow and feel childish, but once the show gets into swing it's amazing.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:36 AM »
That's great news Achim! The first couple of episode of book 1 are a bit slow and feel childish, but once the show gets into swing it's amazing.
Thanks for the warning, I 'll stick with it... I can take a bit childish every once in a while, anyway (I do own the Spongebob Squarepants movie :laugh:).

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:23:02 AM »
He is a member at DVD Profiler :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:24:41 AM by Jimmy »

Critter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:41:43 AM »
I couldn't resist posting this here. This is one of the best fan-made/ tribute trailers I have ever seen.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:40:24 AM »

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:49:19 AM »
... and using the same username no less! :P  I was one of the many DVD Spot members who were left stranded when the final events of that site transpired. Although I doubt any of us were clueless to the existence of Profiler, if I recall correctly it was Antares who reminded us of it in the final days of that forum's existence.

Which version of the first season did you buy?

<--- initial release or re-release --->

My understanding for the re-release is that the other two seasons, when re-released, will more closely resemble that one so that they look nicer on the shelf together. The only difference between the two is that an extra bit of bonus material is slapped onto a disc and slipped inside of an envelope which wasn't reason enough for me to buy it instead (feeling I would have to wait for the other two re-releases before I would be happy), and I think the three original releases look just fine together anyway.

I couldn't resist posting this here. This is one of the best fan-made/ tribute trailers I have ever seen.

That was very well put together, but I was disappointed that they didn't have access to the DVDs so that the logos wouldn't be jumping around. It also did a great job of presenting without giving away any real spoilers. I did have a problem with the text, trying to say too much but not giving any time to read it. Some of the words were on the screen for less than half of one second.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.

Critter

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
When I watched it for the first time I had a problem with that too, the writing simply wasn't on screen long enough. Since then I have just stopped trying to read it. Much more enjoyable that way.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »
Which version of the first season did you buy?

<--- initial release or re-release --->
I got the initial release then. The re-release was available where I bought it, but it was more expensive (because it's also a Limited Edition...?) and the little extra content wasn't what I was looking for.

That's why I said I ought to be quick, so I can get the original releases of seasons 2 and 3 before they are sold out.

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
I have the original releases and they indeed look fine together on a shelf. Only problem with mines is that Book 1&2 have bilingual covers, while Book 3 is only enlish. Makes it look a bit odd, but it's not too bad.