Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 154804 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »
Title: Zombieland
Year: 2009
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Rating: R
Length: 88 Min.

Stars:
Jesse Eisenberg   
Woody Harrelson
Emma Stone
Abigail Breslin
Amber Heard

Plot:
Nerdy college student Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) has survived the plague that has turned mankind into flesh-devouring zombies because he's scared of just about everything. Gun-toting, Twinkie-loving Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) has no fears. Together, they are about to stare down their most horrifying challenge yet: each other's company. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin co-star in this double-hitting, head-smashing comedy.

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching this one on Starz On-Demand. I really enjoyed this one quite a bit. I literally laughed out loud on more then on occasion. While I liked the entire cast... Woody Harrelson made the movie for me. He just played the character perfectly. And I loved where they ended up while in Hollywood... and the whole situation surrounding it (not wanting to spoil it for anyone that may not have seen this yet)... this was just hilarious. I am definitely going to have to add this movie to my collection!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 60
TV Ep. Count: 29
Other Count: 8 I Made It! (10/15)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
Title: Cabin Fever 2
Year: 2009
Director: Ti West
Length: 86 Min.

Stars:
Alexi Wasser
Giuseppe Andrews
Michael Bowen
Judah Friedlander
Larry Fessenden

Plot:
Days after a killer virus consumed his friends, Paul emerges from a ditch by a river. Though his body has been ravaged by the virus, Paul is determined to survive - and to warn others of the danger. But a water bottling plant has already distributed contaminated water to the local high school. The school's students are excitedly preparing for the prom - unaware they're about to have a grisly date with death.

My Thoughts:
This one I watched on FearNET On-Demand. I really enjoyed the first Cabin Fever... but this one not so much. I am glad I watched this one on TV... as I do not see myself wanting to watch it again. The acting is bad... some of the effects are ok... but for the most part it was just projectile vomiting of blood and other garbage like that. I don't think I will bother adding this one to my collection.

On a side note. I remember now why I don't watch FearNET On-Demand as much as you would think. At all times there is a watermark of their channel in the lower right corner of the screen. That alone while aggravating... I can forgive. But the off and on through-out the entire movie they have little pop-up adds for other movies and such that take up most of the bottom of the screen. I realize this is considered a free channel... but I rather put up with commercial breaks over that garbage. If you are going to show a movie... don't paste crap over top the picture!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 61
TV Ep. Count: 29
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
Tales from the Darkside: The First Season
Tales from the Darkside, the uniquely terrifying, frighteningly popular horror anthology series, is back. Packed with haunting stories that at first light appear to be about normal situations, these tales are gradually twisted until they become something sinister, shocking and totally unsettling.

Revealing the dark underworld of our everyday existence, Tales from the Darkside includes stories penned by masters of horror, with unforgettable performances by some of Hollywood's finest stars.

Dark, scary and with a bizarre sense of justice, all 24 episodes of Tales from the Darkside's spine-tingling first season will capture your imagination...and never let it go.

Episodes Watched:
ANNIVERSARY DINNER
On the run from her boyfriend, a young girl is taken in by a friendly couple who invite her to their special anniversary dinner. Only she finds the main course horrifyingly unpalatable.

My Thoughts:
Now this one is getting back to the good stuff. I really liked this episode. Even if I did see the ending come a mile away. It was just a lot of fun getting there. And this one has a familiar face... Alice Ghostley is in it who you may remember from Bewitched as Esmeralda in many episodes.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

SNIP, SNIP
It's a bewitching battle of wills after a warlock and a witch each lay claim to a $10 million lottery ticket.

My Thoughts:
Another fun episode. It is on the silly side... but not so silly that it hurt the story. In this one another familiar face in Carol Kane from Taxi.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

ANSWER ME
A constantly ringing neighbor's phone torments Joan, an English actress subletting an apartment in Manhattan.

My Thoughts:
This one I also enjoyed quite a bit. It has good atmosphere... and is a good story. The odd thing about it... and something else I enjoyed about it is that there was only 1 person in the entire episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 61
TV Ep. Count: 32
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
I realize this is considered a free channel... but I rather put up with commercial breaks over that garbage. If you are going to show a movie... don't paste crap over top the picture!

All our newish digital channels do the logo at least and that's bad enough. Why do they do it? Everyone hates it. It makes me avoid watching them. Yet this is the way they're going. :shrug:

Our main channels advertise the next show in the dying moments of the current one which is bloody annoying too. Luckily the BBC were slammed with complaints when they did it during a cliff-hanger Doctor Who. Matt Smith was growling into the screen, making the alien threat realise exactly who they were dealing with. Meanwhile a cartoon Graham Norton was dancing along the bottom...  :voodoo:

As to the film, I cannot tell you how much I detested the first one. Well, I can actually, I reviewed it last year!  :laugh: Anyway, I ain't going anywhere near this, but I just posted a review for Ti West's The House of The Devil. I'd be interested in what you think of that film if you get it, Pete.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
I will definitely keep it in mind to get... but they called the guy that did Cabin Fever 2 a master of horror? You wouldn't know it by that one!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Honestly, it is a superb piece of work. I think it could have been more potent, as I said, but still the guy does have talent. He was clearly slumming it for CF2! :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »
Title: The Batman vs Dracula
Year: 2005
Director: Michael Goguen
Rating: NR
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Rino Romano
Peter Stormare
Tara Strong
Tom Kenny
Kevin Michael Richardson
Alastair Duncan

Plot:
Gotham City sleeps under the cover of darkness while two legendary bats take flight.

One is turning the city into an army of vampires while the other does everything he can to stop the mayhem. But Dracula isn't just like on of the Batman's usual foes: he's got supernatural powers of strength, speed, and mind control. Even with his arsenal of high-tech gadgets, the Dark Knight is still a mortal man. This is the one face-off that could clip the Batman's wings permanently! Also starring favorite characters like the Joker, Penguin, and Vicki Vale, in her first appearance in the series, this feature-length animated movie is fang-tastic.

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This animated movie was recently given to me. And Brittany wanted to watch it with me today. I figure it has Dracula in it... what the heck... it counts for this marathon. I got to admit I really enjoyed it a lot. This is the first time I've seen anything from this Batman cartoon ("The Batman") While I prefer the way Batman looks in "The Animated Series" it is still good. And it does an even better job with The Joker and Penguin. Speaking of Penguin... he really made the show in this one. He had me literally laugh out loud in more then 1 scene. They were a little inconsistent on some of the vampire stuff... like no reflection in the mirror... yet "vampire Joker" had his reflection shown in the test tubes full of blood. But over all... we both really enjoyed watching this one.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 62
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Title: The Pumpkin Karver
Year: 2006
Director: Robert Mann
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Widescreen :1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Michael Zara
Amy Weber
Brian Kary
Bryan Jamerson
David J. Wright
Terrence Evans

Plot:
Jonathan and his beautiful sister have moved to a new town in order to start over, leaving a horrible past behind. With the future looking bright, they kick things off with a wild Halloween party on a deserted farm. But there's one guest who wasn't invited and won't let them forget their past. A gruesome pumpkin-headed killer is ready to party—and dying to do some carving. This year, don't answer the door, the trick or treat bags are body bags.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one was recommended to me a while back and when I saw it on sale at Amazon for only $3.99 I couldn't resist checking it out. And it was definitely worth the price paid. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure a couple of the scenes were a bit over the top for the story. But over-all I enjoyed it... glad I added it to my collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 63
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »
Title: The Invisible Man: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1933
Director: James Whale
Length: 71 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Claude Rains
Gloria Stuart
William Harrigan
Henry Travers
Una O'Connor
Forrester Harvey

Plot:
Renowned acting legend Claude Rains made a remarkable screen debut in ‘The Invisible Man’, based on H.G. Wells’ acclaimed novel. Rains, a mysterious doctor, creates a serum that makes him invisible. But the miraculous potion also has the power to drive him mad, as he discovers when he is forced to commit horrific acts of terror. Directed by the master of the macabre, James Whale, ‘The Invisible Man’ set the standard for dazzling special effects with ingenious techniques that are still imitated today.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:
Another very good classic movie. Thought the effects for this one were great for the time it was made. A true mad scientist film. The image quality of this one looked quite good for it's age... though there is still some specks here and there. This is the first time I watched this movies in the Legacy Collection set. And never seen any of the sequels... so still have those to look forward to.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 64
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
Title: The Invisible Man Returns: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1940
Director: Joe May
Length: 81 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Cedric Hardwicke
Vincent Price
Nan Grey
John Sutton
Cecil Kellaway
Alan Napier

Plot:
Movie icon Vincent Price stars in this gripping, special effects-filled tale. Unjustly accused of murdering his brother, Geoffrey Radcliffe (Price) has one last hope – a doctor with a drug that can make him invisible while he investigates his brother’s death. What Radcliffe doesn’t know is that the drug is a double-edged sword that will also drive him mad. In a race against time, the doctor searches for an antidote while Radcliffe hunts for the real killer. ‘The Invisible Man Returns’ was nominated for a “Best Special Effects” Academy Award®.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I have watched this movie. And once again I enjoyed it very much. Same type of great effects... this time done slightly better. An interesting story that held my attention throughout... and horror legend Vincent Price as The Invisible Man. How can you go wrong? But I must admit... this is one of the older movies I have seen with Vincent Price.... and I really didn't recognize him! If it wasn't for his name in the credits... I would never have realized it was him. This movie has great image and sound quality (at least on my standard 24in TV). It was a true joy to watch.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 65
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
Title: The Invisible Woman: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1940
Director: A. Edward Sutherland
Length: 72 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Virginia Bruce
John Barrymore
John Howard
Charles Ruggles
Oskar Homolka
Edward Brophy

Plot:
You've never seen a comedy quite like this one! When a wacky professor (John Barrymore) builds a machine that makes people invisible, he tests it on a beautiful model, Kitty Carroll (Virginia Bruce). But gangster Blackie Cole (Oscar Homolka) is out to steal it, since invisibility would be an asset in his criminal pursuits. Filled with laughs and creative special effects that make it impossible to predict who will appear – or disappear – next, this delightful comedy also stars film favorite Margaret Hamilton (‘The Wizard of Oz’).

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This one is much more comedy then the previous two. I still enjoyed it... but not quite as much as the other two. It is still definitely worth seeing... and having in your collection though. This one has Shemp Howard (Three Stooges) in it playing a gangster. He was alright in it... but most the comedy came from the butler. I am not familiar with the actress playing the Invisible Woman... Going by DVD Profiler I don't have anything else with her in it. I did enjoy her in this one though.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 66
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »
Bones: Season Three
Who is Gormogon?
When a routine investigation unearths the ghastly trail of a cannibalistic serial killer, forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and F.B.I. Agent Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz) must face the most baffling — and gruesome — case of their careers. While cracking caseloads full of underground extremists, sexual fetishism and charred corpses, the duo relies on Brennan's uncanny scientific ability. Booth's infallible instincts and a brilliant investigative team known as "squints." Now, in the thrilling Season Three of Bones, Brennan and Booth must uncover the shocking truth behind a centuries-old society and stop the Gormogon killer...before it's too late!

Episode Watched:
MUMMY IN THE MAZE
With Halloween rapidly approaching, the mummified remains of two young girls lead the team through a twisted maze of creepy clues.

My Thoughts:
Of course I loved this episode. Halloween episodes of TV Shows has almost always been my favorite episodes. And this one is no different. It was a lot of fun. And I must say... Brennan looked great as Wonder Woman... as did Camille looked great as Cat Woman. Not that Angela looked bad as a Show Girl of course! And I couldn't help but to laugh at Booth dressed up as one of the squints. The storyline from this episode is very good as well. Definitely one of my favorite episodes!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 33
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season
Physicists Leonard and Sheldon understand everything from the inescapable gravitational pull of a black hole to the intricate structure of the atom. But take those atoms and assemble them into a woman, and their comprehension comes to a grinding halt. And when Penny, a woman will all those atoms in all the right places, moves in aross the hall, Leonard and Sheldon's universe begins to expand in ways they could never have imaged.

When series creators Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Dharma & Greg) combine equal parts science, superheroes and sex and add stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne) and Jim Parsons (Judging Amy), the result is an explosively funny comedy for the nerd in all of us.

Episode Watched:
The Middle Earth Paradigm
Leonard discovers "hobbit" is the wrong costume to wear to Penny's Halloween party when her ex-boyfriend shows up. Also, Sheldon is not a zebra.

My Thoughts:
This is a really fun episode... one of my favorites. Of course that may have something to do with it being a Halloween episode... I really do love Halloween episodes of my favorite shows. Penny's ex boyfriend (from Pilot episode) is back for this one. And of course once again Leonard and Sheldon has a confrontation with him.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 34
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Fourth Season
Buffy begins college feeling completely overwhelmed. But once the monsters show up, it's just like old times. Then she starts dating Riley, a handsome commando battling the same monsters. He's part of a secret organization called The Initiative and Buffy is all too happy to join the team. But she soon suspects The Initiative may be more dangerous than the monsters they are supposed to be battling...

Episode Watched:
FEAR ITSELF
A Halloween party at a campus frat house takes a frightening turn with the sudden appearance of blood-sucking bats, zombies, and a demon that plays on everyone's innermost fears.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good Halloween episode... though not the best Buffy Halloween I seen.  It is entertaining... some of the costumes were pretty good... but think the costumes from season 2 episode was better. I did get a kick out of it when they revealed the Fear Demon though.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 35
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
Title: Dr. Giggles: Twisted Terror Collection
Year: 1992
Director: Manny Coto
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Larry Drake
Holly Marie Combs
Cliff De Young
Glenn Quinn
Keith Diamond
Richard Bradford

Plot:
He makes house calls. No appointment necessary. Laughter is the best medicine when Dr. Giggles gives fans of cult horror the right guffaws-and-gore prescription.

Larry Drake plays the night-prowling surgical M.D. (as in Maniacally Deranged) who takes a vengeful whack – or saw, scalpel, stomach pump or whatever else he finds in his little black bag of medical malpractice – at teens, cops, and other residents of a once-pleasant town. From an old haunted house to a midway fun house, from bedrooms to the O.R., the doctor is in(sane). And keeping pace with him is a start-to-finish spree of medical puns that make this romp a cut above. Dr. Giggles: He'll keep you in stitches.

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
I have loved this movie for years now... this movie stars Holly Marie Combs (Charmed) and Glenn Quinn (Roseanne, Angel). This is one that I got in the Twisted Terror Collection boxset. When I first saw this movie I didn't know who Holly Marie Combs was... but since this movie I have been infatuated with her every since. Now I am such a huge fan of hers I buy everything I can find with her in it. This movie has a lot of creative kills in it... but I think my favorite of them has to be the stomach pump... that is what I would have to call creative and sickening both at the same time. The only thing I didn't like about this DVD release is there was no extras what so ever... not even the Theatrical Trailer. If you never seen this movie... it definitely comes recommended by me.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 67
TV Ep. Count: 35
Pete