Author Topic: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!  (Read 59299 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »

addicted2comics(:P)'s Alphabet Review Thread!!

Yup, it's my turn! Slow start, but here's my marathon reviews upcoming!

Re: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »

Title: 13 Ghosts
Year: 1960
Director: William Castle
Rating: NR
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Charles Herbert
Jo Morrow
Martin Milner
Rosemary De Camp
Donald Woods
Margaret Hamilton

Plot:
It's 13 GHOSTS, a ghoulish fright-fest from producer/director William Castle. When an eccentric uncle wills a huge, ramshackle house to Cyrus (Donald Woods) and his impoverished family, they get the shock of a lifetime. Their new residence comes complete with a spooky housekeeper, Elaine (Margaret Hamilton), plus a fortune in buried treasure and 12 horrifying ghosts. As the terrified family soon discovers, these haunting ectoplasms include a decapitated man, a wailing lady and a flaming skeleton, who are held captive in the eerie house and must find an unlucky 13th to free them! Who'll be the final victim of these ghostly shenanigans?
See for yourself-if you dare!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
Illusion-O glasses

My Thoughts:
Yes, I swiped dad's formatting from the profiler, but his is better!!! :P

Speaking of swiping, watching this whole movie again, which I have seen numerous times since I was a little kid, reminded me that there were a pair of Illusion-O glasses that would help you see the ghosts, but as little kids often do---I wrecked them.  :( I am so regreting it now. I was struggling to much to see the details, I caught myself saying, "Where are the glasses???"

I haven't seen this in a long time, like, I remembered the ghosts. But I also remembered Ben as such a swell guy. A real sweetie. Now that I'm older, I can understand more, and I saw how he was really portrayed.

(click to show/hide)

I gotta admit, even with this being in black and white, which to me always takes away from how real it feels, all the ghosts and moans I admit gives me the creeps. (Just a LITTLE but it does.) Very nice work! Especially for the time! 1960? Not bad! ;)

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:36 AM »

Title: Annie
Year: 1999
Director: Rob Marshall
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.0
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Ernie Sabella
Kathy Bates
Victor Garber
Alan Cumming
Audra McDonald
Kristin Chenoweth

Plot:
Disney makes this beloved musical more magical than ever with an all-new, feature-length production! Featuring an all-star cast and new choreography, this charming tale of an adorable orphan named Annie captures all the fun of the original — but adds an unmistakable Disney touch!

For a young girl living a "hard-knock life" in a children's orphanage, things may seem pretty bad — especially at Christmas. But feisty Annie carries a song in her heart and hope in her locket — the only thing she has from her parents.
One day, fed up with the dastardly Miss Hannigan (Academy Award® winner Kathy Bates*), Annie escapes the run-down orphanage determined to find her mom and dad. Her adventure takes her from the cold, mean streets of New York to the warm, comforting arms of bighearted billionaire Oliver Warbucks — with plenty of mischief and music between!

Filled with memorable songs and magical moments, Disney's Annie brings this heartwarming story to a whole new generation. And now you can relive the magic over and over again!

*1990, Best Actess, Misery.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I remember when I first saw this. It was another version, but still close. I saw it at school never did finish it.

I always did like to see this. Maybe around Christmas time. I also always like a good musical, but I suppose my father would disagree on the matter. One thing I don't like it how many songs. Like I said, I love it being a musical, and I LOVE "Hard Knock Life", "Easy Street" and "Little Girls", so my question is.....are the rest really nessicary? Ok, yeah, I know the answer to that: part of the magic, blah blah blah. I may like music, but you get tired after a little while.

Still, it was very enjoyable.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

Title: Bratz: Genie Magic
Year: 2006
Director:
Length: 72 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
Yasmin, Cloe, Sasha and Jade, think it's their lucky day when they make friends with a teenaged genie named Katia. She has magical powers, and best of all, she can grant wishes! But things get wild and crazy when a secret is revealed about the genie girl that thrusts the Bratz into a world of intrigue and adventure. Evil masterminds are out to capture Katia™ and…anyone who knows about her. Will the Bratz™ be able to save their new friend from the clutches of ruthless villains? Can Katia’s powers save the Bratz™ and the world? Or will the girls have to make their own magic? Join the Bratz™ as they enter the mysterious and exciting world of Genie Magic™!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned
Bonus Episode

My Thoughts: Well, it was enjoyable......alot to the point that I made my dad suffer through it with me.  :laugh:

Still, It's been a while since I watched this, and I"ve forgotten just how girly it is. While I admit I LOVED Bratz a couple years ago, my eyes have opened. The girl thing is just over the top. And this is coming from a girl. I mean, it was tolerable, and I like the teenage-girl angle and point of view in these movies, it just could have been done better. The secret-agent acvtion stuff was a good twist to the movie too.

It makes me wanna see Bratz Rock Angelz again and remember that horrible ex-boss of Jade's, Birdeen Maxwell. That movie is also where the secret agent thing started, so I think after the marathon I'll dig that up again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
Luckily I had my computer here to keep me entertained during the movie. :P
Pete

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

Title: Catwoman: Widescreen Edition
Year: 2004
Director: Pitof
Rating: PG-13
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Halle Berry
Benjamin Bratt
Sharon Stone
Lambert Wilson
Frances Conroy
Alex Borstein

Plot:
Patience Philips is dead – and more alive than ever. Murdered after she learns the secret behind a cosmetic firm's anti-aging cream, she's revived and empowered by mystical felines. Now she's on the slinky prowl for adventure and revenge. She's Catwoman.

Academy Award® winner* Halle Berry plays the sleek, whip-cracking feline fatale, Benjamin Bratt is a cop torn between romance and duty, and Sharon Stone is an ice-blooded supermodel with something to hide in a kicky and stylish Catwoman. With catlike grace, a knack for landing on her feet, a passion for sushi and a loathing for dogs, Berry is a perfect force to reckon with. She's action. With attitude.

*2001: Best Actress for Monster's Ball.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I've seen this a few times befoire, and anyone who knows me on here knows I'm all about the supers! I still can't help but feel that if there's a Catwoman, then there should be a Batman. That didn't stop me from liking this. There is just something udescribable about this movie. I guess I just love the idea of total freedom......that and evil make-up. I never did goop up my face like that.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
4.5 for Catwoman? Like Father, like Daughter... :tease:

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »

Title: The Derby Stallion: Widescreen
Year: 2005
Director: Craig Clyde
Rating: PG
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Widescreen :1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: :
Subtitles:

Stars:
Charles Black
Sarah Blackman
Preston Brant
KC Clyde
Bill Cobbs
Abrianna Elaine Davidson

Plot:
Fifteen-year-old Patrick (Zac Efron, Hairspray) doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, and the pressure put on him by his dad isn't help.ing. But then he meets a misunderstood horse trainer (Bill Cobbs, Night at the Museum) who convinces him to train for the Derby Cup. Can Patrick convince his parents to let him compete, beat out the rich town bully–and find the champion that lies within?

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Music Videos
Interviews
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I've had this for I'm not sure how long, but never watched it, so this is a first-time viewing. Not much to say here except it was really slow and hard to get into in the begining, and alot of this movie is very predictable. Still, it ended in a heart-tugger and it was kinda fun.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

Dude, he gave it a 2.5!!  :o I don't get it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
Probably where I said while I do see it as a bad movie... I did enjoy it. But that is me... I can enjoy bad movies for what they are.  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »

Dude, he gave it a 2.5!!  :o I don't get it.

More a generalisation. Your Dad can be relied upon to find something good in even the most terrible films! Which is a good thing, but he will always get his leg pulled about it... ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
More a generalisation. Your Dad can be relied upon to find something good in even the most terrible films!
I was surprise that he find nothing enjoyable in War of the Robots :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
I usually like most superhero movies..or movies with comic book characters in them.  But Catwoman is one of the few that I don't like.  The idea behind the plot is interesting, but this isn't Catwoman...that is Selina Kyle and Batman should be around or at least mentioned.  Berry's characters is just a generic catwoman.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »

Title: The Emperor's New Groove
Year: 2000
Director: Mark Dindal
Rating: G
Length: 78 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
David Spade
John Goodman (1952)
Eartha Kitt
Patrick Warburton
Wendie Malick
Eli Russell Linnetz

Plot:
If you liked 'Aladdin', you'll love Disney's 'The Emperor's New Groove', where outrageous comedy rules! Audiences and critics alike raved about this hilarious animated adventure: Ebert & Roeper And The Movies gave it "Two Thumbs Up."

Faster than you can say "boom, baby," arrogant Emperor Kuzco (voiced by David Spade) is turned into a llama by his devious advisor, Yzma (Eartha Kitt), and her hunky henchman, Kronk (Patrick Warburton), who want to rid the kingdom of this beast of burden. Now the ruler who once had it all must form an unlikely alliance with a pleasant peasant named Pacha (John Goodman). Together, Kuzco and Pacha must overcome their differences as they embark on a hilarious, "groovy" adventure that will have you howling with laughter.

There's something for everyone in this "hip, funny movie" (Gannett News Service) with its dynamo cast, distinctive style and great music - featuring the Academy Award®-nominated song, "My Funny Friend And Me" - all fully captured in state of the art quality created directly from the digital source, which ensures the best possible sound and picture!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Music Videos
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:

It was just as fun as I remembered it. All I can say, really, is that it was alot better than the series. Although, John Goodman being Pacha was odd for me, cuz every time I hear Pacha, I hear Dan Connor. :P Still a cool story about an arrogent emporor with a heart.......somewhere.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
I usually like most superhero movies..or movies with comic book characters in them.  But Catwoman is one of the few that I don't like.  The idea behind the plot is interesting, but this isn't Catwoman...that is Selina Kyle and Batman should be around or at least mentioned.  Berry's characters is just a generic catwoman.

Yeah, I was let down on that part too, but, and I never thought I'd say this about a comic character......I really like the remix of Catwoman better. It just, idk, makes more sense to me. Then again, I read Marvel, Image, Papercutz, etc. alot more than I do Dc.