Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon (Appendix!)  (Read 10840 times)

Najemikon

Alfred Hitchcock Marathon (Appendix!)
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
We've spent a long time on that Hitchcock Marathon and I've been keeping a list of URLs, a few notes, links and stuff, and I'm planning to put all my reviews on MovieGoose (yes, I do still have that site and one day I will start updating it regularly! :bag:), so I thought I might as well dump it here too. Plus I've found a site called www.wordle.net that lets you create instant 'word clouds' so I threw in a list of the titles I reviewed in order of preference and it came up with a really neat graphic!

Hope some of you like it and feel like posting your own.  :D

Najemikon

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon (Appendix!)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:39:04 AM »

This cute text cloud came from Wordle. It's dead easy to do and really effective.  :thumbup: Mine is in order of preference so Vertigo is biggest. See if you can spot Secret Agent; it's tiny!  :laugh:

Best film: Vertigo
Worst Film: Secret Agent
Most overrated: Spellbound
Most underrated: I Confess
Best Actor: James Stewart, Vertigo. Special mention for Henry Fonda in The Wrong Man
Best Actress: Ingrid Bergman in Notorious or Grace Kelly in Rear Window. I can’t pick! Don’t make me.
Best Supporting Actor: Alastair Sim in Stage Fright
Best Supporting Actress: Thelma Ritter in Rear Window
Best Double Act: Hume Cronyn and Henry Travers in Shadow of a Doubt, voicing the love of macabre that Hitchcock himself had. Special mention for Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford trying to get home for the cricket in The Lady Vanishes.
Best Villain: Bruno in Strangers on a Train. Utterly barking, yet capable of destroying an innocent man’s life, the epitome of a Hitchcock thriller. Mrs. Bates comes a close second. Just for the charm, don’t forget the Barry Foster in Frenzy.

Some favourite clips:

Further "reading", etc:
Wikipedia entry for Alfred Hitchcock
Cameos Index
Vanity Fair Photo Tribute, with modern actors recreating key scenes
Key To Reversa. First posted by James, this is a gag from Scorcese that's actually a rather impressive staging by the director of a typical Hitch setup.
EDIT:Slant Magazine, The Conversations: Minor Hitchcock Matthias posted this link not long ago. It's an excellent and thorough article.

If you enjoy Hitchcock movies, there's a handful of other great ones I can recommend. For instance, Fritz Lang's M, a German film from 1931, is a stone cold classic. It's a perfect example of the kind of thing Hitchcock was immersing himself in about the time, but a great thriller too.

Shock with Vincent Price is the film I was hoping Spellbound would be, and is actually much better. Price is quietly threatening in a claustrophobic plot...

If you liked the realism of The Wrong Man, it's natural predecessor is proper Italian Neo-Realism in The Bicycle Thieves. Hitchcock’s film is marvellous, but does have a good thriller for a plot. The Bicycle Thieves is all about the emotion, but both share the Cinema Verite style. Fair warning though, I repeat this is no Thriller. It's hard and brilliant.

Vertigo was his only real stab at Noir, but as with the Italian Neo-Realism, he didn’t do it properly. Vertigo, I reiterate, was beyond perfect, but films similar to the first half at least –proper Noir- would be Double Indemnity and Chinatown. A very good modern example with a twist is Brick, reviewed elsewhere on this site by Matthias and then myself. Highly recommended.

Then we have the films directly inspired. A Perfect Murder is a fairly successful retread of Dial M for Murder. Strangers on a Train was used as the inspiration for the wonderful Throw Momma From The Train, one of my favourite comedies. Flightplan and Dangerous Crossing both feature situations like The Lady Vanishes. Disturbia is essentially Rear Window: The Teen Years and another Le Beoff, Eagle Eye, is like a The Man Who Knew Too Much on drugs! House on Telegraph Hill is an interesting play on Rebecca; in fact, many may enjoy it more as it’s more straightforward. Then we have that term, “Hitchcockian”. What Lies Beneath is a decent thriller that has all sorts of elements, especially a woman with dual personalities, a husband who might be murderous (Ford allowed to go places Cary Grant couldn’t). The best foreign film I've seen close to the Hitchcock style is Mario Bava's The Girl Who Knew Too Much, which also has the honour of being the first Italian Giallo. Reviews in the index from Jimmy, amongst others.

EDIT: Somehow forgot about Wait Until Dark! Marvellous thriller with Audrey Hepburn that would have been a perfect Hitchcock plot (almost one set too, like Rope or Rear Window). Hepburn plays a blind woman, trying to prove her independence to her husband. Thieves take advantage of her disability to get into her apartment. A brilliant premise, expertly used for nerve-wracking tension. I reviewed it before here: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,4159.msg82205.html#msg82205

But the best film Hitchcock never directed must be Carol Reed’s Fallen Idol. It's a wonderful story about a small boy living in a large house, who thinks he may have seen his beloved butler commit a murder. You have Hitchcock's style of premise and nightmarish plot, but it's from the point of view of the child and I don't think Hitch would have done it so well. Fallen Idol has elements, not least the child, that I just can’t think of Hitch handling with the same empathy and warmth, especially as he's so posh! An absolute triumph for Reed, director of The Third Man. This lesser known film deserves some more exposure. Can't find a trailer, but there's a fairly nice clip that shows the interaction with Baines (Ralph Richardson). It's available in a typically good Criterion edition.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:32:22 PM by Jon »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:12 AM »
Don't forget The Asphalt Jungle, Night and the City and Out of the Past for "proper noir" also.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:47:36 AM »
Absolutely. :thumbup: Not sure if I've seen Night and The City. I picked a handful that could be linked to Vertigo's initial style.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:50:10 AM »
You would definitely like Night and the City, Richard Widmark's best performance.

I just put Fallen Idol on my library queue.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:03:02 AM »
Then it was worth me posting this. :thumbup: I must look up Night and the City.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
Then it was worth me posting this. :thumbup: I must look up Night and the City.

If you can, try and find the UK release version, the US version is edited in a way that makes a few scenes seem ridiculous.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:50 AM »
Oh really? I knew there was a Criterion version, so I've been holding off. I'll check it out, thanks.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
Criterion shows the US release, but on one of the featurettes, it shows the difference between the two releases. I thought maybe that Criterion didn't own the rights in region 2. If so, maybe you'd be able to find the UK version. The UK version is more drawn out and explanatory of the events in the film.

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
JON!

I love James Stewart! he is my favourite actor EVER!

I can't decide whether I love Rear Window, Vertigo or Rope the most out of all Hitchcocks films.

Rear Window and Rope I love because they are so simple, both filmed in one room!

Also, that scene from Rear Window you posted has my favourite quote ever in it!

(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »
 :thumbup:

Stewart is one of my favourites too and for that moment, I wish I was James Stewart! :whistle:

Can you think of any actress given a better entrance than Grace Kelly in Rear Window? The photography, that kiss, the dialogue... it's just wonderful. Maybe Lauren Bacall in To Have And Have Not, but she was simply stunning and held the camera naturally. Here, Hitchcock presents Grace to us. Gorgeous woman and the epitome of elegance.

So aside from or possibly in spite of Rear Window, what would be your favourite Stewart performance? I think it might be one of his Capra's, or one of the Westerns. I have a great boxset of 7 which cost me about £30. You can pick it up for around £10 now... http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/James-Stewart-Westerns-Box-Set-7-DVD/1076994.htm

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
So aside from or possibly in spite of Rear Window, what would be your favourite Stewart performance?

Elwood P. Dowd...'nuf ced!!!!!

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
 :laugh: Good choice!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
:laugh: Good choice!

You know how we're always recommending classic films for Pete, how is it we never mention that one?  :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 01:17:40 AM »
Don't know. But you're right, he should look this one up. Pete? Got your ears on, good buddy?  :laugh: