Author Topic: Robin Hood 2010  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Robin Hood 2010
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:06 AM »
So I decided to go see the new Robin Hood a few days ago.  It is definitely a different version of the story.  I expected it to be different - I've seen a few interviews with Russell Crowe and he talks about that  in all of them...and how King Richard dies kind of early in the movie.  Even expecting things to be different, it is still more different than I had expected.  It definitely seems to be setting up at least one sequel, possible even a new franchise. 

Some of the other movies about Robin Hood that I've seen have at least mentioned his time fighting in the Crusades.  There is a bit more about that dealt with in this movie and it does take him and his men a while to make it back to England.  Once he is there, he doesn't jump right into robbing from the rich to give to the poor.  There is more build up to him becoming an outlaw, so more of his motivations for what he does are shown.  I do think that makes the movie interesting, though some people aren't going to be happy with the changes.  Some of them are downright weird, like Robin fighting in what is basically the biggest battle of the movie with something that looks like a hammer.  He's riding around on his horse, bashing the French with that hammer thing, and it is just weird that it isn't using a bow or a sword.  The action scenes work fine, though there is nothing that special about them.  The violence is slightly graphic in a few scenes, but it really isn't explicit. 

This Robin is a bit ....conflicted about things at times, but he is determined to do what he thinks is right.  Russell Crowe is fine in the part.  I don't know how accurate his accent is since I never have been good at identifying most accents.  Marion is independent and very able to take care of herself.  I did like Cate Blanchett in the part.  The Sheriff of Nottingham basically does nothing, though by the end of the movie, there is a hint of him becoming more corrupt.  Sir Godfrey, someone who is a friend of King John but also plotting with the French King, is the main villain.  Godfrey is brutal in his methods and makes a good villain.  Mark Strong is wonderful in the part.  He is really good at playing bad guys.  King John seems a bit like a kid having a tantrum at times and it isn't always clear why he does things.  Most of the other characters are just sort of around without doing much to stand out.  There is very little in the way of character development for them.

Even though the movie has issues, I do think Robin Hood works as an entertaining movie.  It isn't going to appeal to some people though.

I did get a review posted at Epinions if anyone would like to take a look.

Robin Hood 2010