Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 221549 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »

3-Way (2004) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Based on fabled pulp novelist Gil Brewer's "Wild To Possess" comes this sinfully tasty, hard-boiled brew of lust, extortion and murder, starring Gina Gershon (Borderline) and Dwight Yoakam (Panic Room). Lew (Dominic Purcell, Mission: Impossible II) is a small-time loser with a very big secret. He's overheard a sordid little kidnapping plot worth a cool million and is cutting himself in for a piece of the action. But when Lew shares his guilty knowledge with three extremely untrustworthy women - sexy gal pal Rita (Joy Bryant, Antwone Fisher), luscious abductress Isobel (Ali Larter, Legally Blonde) and sultry, well-heeled Florence (Gershon) - his blackmail scheme spins murderously out of control. The problem with secrets? No one can keep 'em. Also stars Desmond Harrington (Ghost Ship).

My Thoughts:
I hadn't heard of this movie before, purchasing solely on the cast which includes Gina Gershon, Dwight Yoakam, Dominic Purcell and Ali Larter. Advertised as a 'sexy noir like thriller' I went into the film with intrigue but was unfortunately disappointed. The story, whilst completely capable, relies on too many stupid and unlikeable characters and the dialogue can be somewhat empty. The level of acting was average yet disappointing. Yoakam puts in a decent performance despite being given a poor character to work with but everyone else put in lesser showings. Don't get me wrong, the movie is far from bad but it just isn't very good either. A below average 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
They say love and money don't mix, but you can't blame Harry Lockhart for trying.  He's been whisked from a life of petty crime to Hollywood, where he'll audition for the role of a movie detective and be tutored for the part by a private eye.  Now all Harry has to do is convince the dream girl he meets that he's an actual detective.  And try not to stumble over the corpses as reel life abruptly gives way to real.

Lights, camera, plenty of action!  Shane Black ('Lethal Weapon') provides the screenplay and makes his directing debut in a clever fusion of buddy movie and hardboiled noir produced by Joel Silver.  Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan play the thrust-together trio -- a naïve schemer, a tough-as-nails gay detective, and a hopeful actress clinging to her dream.
'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'.
Watch Watch.

My Thoughts:
This is a rewatch for me just to see if it's just as good the second time around as it was the first. It is. Everything about this movie manages to hit the nail on the head. Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, Michelle Monoghan and every other actor/actress involved is perfectly cast, the script is fantastic, if a little confusing at times and the whole feel to it was just right. It managed to take the dark comedy it was aiming for and mix it perfectly with noir qualities. There are lots of nice little nods to other films with chapters being named after early noir movies, the beginning reminding you of Sunset Boulevard and, as he breaks the fourth wall, Downey Jr. lets us know it will end properly and not numerous times like Lord of the Rings. Not many films can pull off the fourth wall, but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang pulls this and so much more off. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »

Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
This, the last film Preston Sturges made for Paramount, is another great satire on the American penchant for hero worship. It stars Eddie Bracken as Woodrow Truesmith, a soldier who, due to an unfortunate misunderstanding, never actually went to war. His attempts to keep his secret are scuppered when his home town has him repatriated for a civic celebration of his exploits. In this sentimental comedy, many of Sturges' regular repertory of character actors give the performance of their lives.

My Thoughts:
This is actually my first foray into Preston Sturges' filmography (as director at least) so I wasn't sure what to expect outside of what the cover said. I have to say that it's a film I'm glad I picked up. Eddie Bracken is very good as the soldier who never went to war due to a serious bout of hayfever and is so embarrassed he decides to not go back to his hometown... that is until a group of soldiers he buys a drink for tries to fix his problem against his will by phoning his mother and telling her that he will be coming home. He goes home and one thing leads to another until he is put forward as a candidate for mayor. He tries to come clean but as the stories from the other soldiers get more involving and his 'hero' status in his hometown gets higher it becomes harder and harder for the truth to come out. The film works well and has a good cast and above average script making me more interested in picking up more of Sturges' films when I see them real cheap. 3.5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
I love this film. You should seriously consider the Preston Sturges boxset. It is superb. :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »
I love this film. You should seriously consider the Preston Sturges boxset. It is superb. :thumbup:

Agreed.

If you liked this, you'll definitely love The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »

Housesitter (1992) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn star in this hilarious romantic comedy about the consequences of 'stretching' the truth.
When architect Newton Davis' girlfriend Becky (Dana Delany) turns down his marriage proposal, his newly-built dream house suddenly becomes nothing more than an empty monument to her rejection. That is, until a chance encounter with Gwen (Hawn) turns his life upside-down.
Intrigued by Newton's story, Gwen visits the house and decides to move in on her own. Resourceful and creative, Gwen is soon fixing up the house and charming Newton's family and neighbours — all the while passing herself off as his new wife! Gwen even befriends Becky, who begins to see a Newton she never knew existed.
Horrified at the deception yet unable to stop it, Newton finds himself playing along with her preposterous stories, her attempts at reconciling differences within his family and her campaign for his promotion at work. Finally, he convinces Gwen to fabricate their 'divorce' so he can still get married to Becky — until he has a change of heart. It's a delightful, warmhearted and intelligent comedy from director Frank Oz.

My Thoughts:
In need of some light hearted comedy, I looked at my to watch pile and decided to opt for Housesitter starring Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn. Most romantic comedies tend to cater more for women, and this is no different, though it felt more accessible for a male probably because of Steve Martin. Whilst it isn't a very funny film, it does have plenty of minor moments and is OK to watch. The script is capable for a genre film, if easy to guess the outcome of the ending within minutes. One thing I did like was the supporting cast which is where most of the fun was at. Anyway, it's worth a look but nothing new. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 02:16:54 PM »

Kill Me Again (1989) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Fay Forrester, an attractive young lady wants to escape from her violent and jealous boyfriend Vince. So she hires Jack Andrews, a second class private investigator to arrange her death. She wants to restart her life with a new identity and the money she robbed together with Vince. Because of Jack's financial problems he joins Fay after her fake death. Unfortunately Vince finds out that Fay's still alive. The hunt for Jack, Fay and the money begins...

My Thoughts:
Kill Me Again, directed by John Dahl (The Last Seduction - which I haven't seen... yet) was a pleasant surprise for me as I was expecting a low/medium budget action/thriller. What I got was indeed low/medium budget, and it was a thriller, but what I wasn't prepared for were the noir like qualities the movie contained and how well they came across on screen. Joanne Whalley is excellent here as the femme fatale and easily outshines Val Kilmer and Michael Madsen, both of whom put in below par performances. Despite this, the script is solid enough to keep the movie going and to make this a worthwhile pick-up. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »

Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989) R2 United Kingdom SE

Overview:
From Uli Edel, acclaimed director of 'Christiane F' comes this celebrated adaptation of Hubert Selby Jr.'s controversial masterpiece about a desperate group of people, forging a sliver of hope in a relentless and cruel Brooklyn in 1952.
Strike-wary union leader Harry, transvestites Georgette and Regina, street-wise hooker Tralala, trucker Big Joe and his pregnant daughter are just a few of the tortured souls whose destiny's intermingle one simmering summer. It's a time which sees the tensions of these mean streets finally combust in a volatile explosion of union riots and civil unrest.

My Thoughts:
Movies with various characters whose stories tie in either work or they don't. Last Exit to Brooklyn, based on the book by Hubert Selby Jr., does work and on so many levels. Uli Edel has assembled a cast that put in great performances, from Jennifer Jason Leigh as a prostitute to Stephen Lang as a homosexual union leader, who work together very well from a tight and well adapted script. I have to recommend this film, but be wary if you want something that's going to make you feel good because this isn't it. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »

Look Who's Talking (1989) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Starring Kirstie Alley, John Travolta and the wise-cracking voice of Bruce Willis, LOOK WHO'S TALKING is the box-office smash which takes an hilarious, off-beat look at motherhood and romance from baby Mikey's point of view. Led on and let down by boyfriend Albert (George Segal), 32 year old Mollie (Kirstie Alley) is looking for a proper father for her son...
Little Mikey favours cab driver-turned-baby sitter, James (John Travolta). It's a case of baby knows best, but by the time he learns to talk, it could be too late!

My Thoughts:
Look Who's Talking is the definition of Hollywood mediocrity. From the acting to the script, the soundtrack to the visual look of the movie, everything shouts average. Hell, even Kirstie Alley managed to maintain an average weight for the duration. This isn't to say the movie isn't funny because it is, but aside from a few one liners by Mikey (voiced by Bruce Willis) we never really get anything that makes you want to laugh out loud which is a real shame considering the potential of the situations in the movie. If you want a movie that will let you chill out and relax, whilst being instantly forgettable, this is it. Rent it, or buy cheap. 3/5
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:04:11 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »

Look Who's Talking Too (1990) - R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this hilarious sequel to LOOK WHO'S TALKING, little Mikey figures he's got it made after uniting his mother (Kirstie Alley - TV's 'Veronica's Closet', 'Cheers') with the dad of his dreams (John Travolta - 'Swordfish', 'Pulp Fiction'). But instead of family bliss, Mikey gets the biggest surprise of his life - a baby sister.
Bruce Willis returns as the voice of Mikey, while Roseanne Barr's voice delivers baby Julie's delightful wisecracks. Together, these two fast-talking tots face a series of kiddie dilemmas, including the trials of potty training, their parents' marital squabbles, and an inevitable - but very funny - dose of sibling rivalry. As this loving family is about to learn, twice the trouble is also twice the fun!

My Thoughts:
How do you follow up a movie about a talking baby boy and his first couple of years of life? Easy, get his mother (Kirstie Alley) to marry taxi driver / pilot (John Travolta) and give him a sister voiced by Roseanne Barr. Unfortunately, this isn't much fun and it looks like the cast knew it. The script is not as witty and misses out on the comedy aspect of the film. When the best part of your movie involves a toddler dreaming about a toilet monster, you know you're in trouble. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the worst film out there... I mean, at least there's no talking animals right? Oh, the third movie? Dear god no. Skip this unless you're a (very big) fan of the cast. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »

Invictus (2009) Region B United Kingdom (rental)

Overview:
Clint Eastwood directs this drama based on events that took place during the first term of Nelson Mandela's presidency of South Africa. In an effort to help unite his racially and economically divided country in the wake of the apartheid system, the newly-elected Mandela (Morgan Freeman) joins forces with Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon), captain of South Africa's rugby team The Springboks. Convinced that he can use the universal language of sport to help bring his people together, Mandela rallies the team as it makes its historic run to the 1995 Rugby World Cup Championship final against New Zealand.

My Thoughts:
I've been on a bit of an Eastwood kick lately and last week watched Changeling and Gran Torino. This week, I went to my rental queue and added Invictus as high priority and I am glad I did. Despite some dodgy accents (are there no South African actors for these big roles...? same for Blood Diamond) Freeman and Damon impress in the lead roles of what is an unlikely important historical event. Eastwood manages to catch the varying views of people via the way members of the crowd, and the rugby team, initially react whilst at the same time catching Mandela's hope for the future of his country and how he used Rugby to help him change the opinions of many, and the way they acted by bringing people together through a sporting event. Recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:33:12 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
Warlock (1989) R2 UK

Overview
A sinister 17th century warlock summons satanic intervention to escape a death sentence finds himself transported 300 years into the future. Arriving in modern-day Los Angeles his quest is to find the scattered remains of a satanic bible, containing the true name of god and with it the power to destroy mankind. He has not been transported alone however and in steadfast pursuit is the witch-finder who brought him to trial and must now hunt him down once more.
Julian Sands and Richard E. Grant give superbly matched performances as the enigmatic, battling adversaries in this classic supernatural horror.

Shortened Review:
Having never seen this before, after I had read the above blurb, I was expecting something very similar to Highlander and although there are many similarities, the two films are very much a different experience. The film starts in a courtroom where "Warlock" (played by Sands) is on trial for witchcraft. Escaping 300 years into the future he crashed into the living room of the house the beautiful young Kassandra (Singer) is living. After Warlock casts a spell on Kassandra aging her twenty years, she joins forces with witchhunter Giles (Richard E. Grant) who has also travelled forwards in time. As the story progresses we are treated to what is essentially a very fun film. The first thing that struck me is just how well the cast play off each other. Obviously enjoying themselves the chemistry gives the characters that extra little kick which ignites your interest into this supernatural battle. This isn't to say that some of the acting isn't flawed, but it doesn't take away from the movie. Despite being a horror, we aren't given much gore and instead the majority of horror scenes are quite mild and filmed in a way to imply something horrific is happening. This coupled with some reasonably good special effects for a film of this ilk and budget actually adds to the overall enjoyment of the film and if it had gone for out and out gore it would have a very different feel to the overall product. The direction is solid with well organised action scenes and some nice sweeping shots throughout later locations which was to be expected from Miner whose previous film "House" is a favourite of mine. The script is definately a highlight and although being very far from special, contains some excellent moments, especially the scene in which Warlock is talking to a young boy on a swing who proclaims "My Dad hates all that stuff about Jesus and the twelve apostraphes" and "You're a witch? Only girls are witches". Add together the chemistry of the cast, the solid direction, good speial effects and fun script and you get a very enjoyable, and overlooked, movie that's certainly worth seeking out for fans of the genre, or fans of the cast, director or writer.

Full Review:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2360

(This is out April 25th. Yay for advanced copies)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
I always wanted to see Warlock but somehow that never happened... Reading your review I really want to now and since there is a new DVD release, this may be my chance.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
This UK release is about as good as we'll see I think. The US release is pan & scan so I always I avoided it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:01 AM »
The US release is pan & scan
:yuck:

Seems indeed a good reason I never got it before :laugh: The release is form 1998, they clewarly didn't know better at the time...