Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315840 times)

hal9g

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »
Yup, this was a great ride!

Najemikon

« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I liked Taken, but it's definitely a Marmite film. Take a step back and it's nasty, obvious, dumb and full of plot-holes. But damn good fun!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »

Title:Bottle Shock
Year: 2008
Director: Randall Miller
Rating: PG-13
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Pine
Hal B. Klein
Alan Rickman
Jean-Michael Richaud
Dennis Farina

Plot:
1976, NAPA VALLEY. One small American winery and its workers are about to show the French that the world's finest wines will now come from the other red, white and blue. Based on an inspiring true story and starring Alan Rickman (Love, Actually), Bill Pullman (Nobel Son), Chris Pine (Smokin' Aces) and Rachael Taylor (Transformers), Bottle Shock is an "intelligent, affectionate, beautifully acted movie" (The Hollywood Reporter) that pours out the laughs.

For connoisseur Steven Spurrier (Rickman), there's no finer art than French wine, despite rumors that the new California wine country holds the future of the vine. Positive the small Napa wineries are no match for established French vintages, Spurrier challenges the Americans to a blind tasting. But when he finds the valley full of ambitious – and talented – novice vintners like Jim Barrett (Pullman) and his son Bo (Pine), he realizes his publicity stunt may change the history of wine forever.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Back to random picks, but fate picked me a good one in Bottle Shock.

True story of how a blind wine taste test in the mid-70's shattered France's view that they were the only nation on earth capable of making the best wines when they were beat by the wineries of Napa Valley, California.

You'd certainly have a heightened appreciation for this movie if you happen to be a wine drinker (I'm not) but it was entertaining throughout for anyone. A strong cast led by Alan Rickman as the British wine connoisseur who arranged the contest that ended up turning the wine industry on it's ear. Bill Pullman, Chris Pine, Eliza Dushku and a favorite of mine, Freddy Rodriguez of Six Feet Under fame, also star. A great watch!

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »

Title:Blood: The Last Vampire
Year: 2009
Director: Chris Nahon
Rating: R
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Gianna
Allison Miller
Liam Cunningham
JJ Feild
Koyuki

Plot:
From a Producer of Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon comes BLOOD: THE LAST VAMPIRE, based on the cult hit anime series. Demons have infested Earth. And only one warrior stands between the dark and the light: Saya, a half-human, half-vampire samurai who preys on those who feast on human blood. Joining forces with the shadowy society known as the Council, Saya is dispatched to an American military base, where an intense series of swordfights leads her to the deadliest vampire of all. And now after 400 years, Saya's greatest hunt is about to begin.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I have mixed feelings about this movie. Some elements were terrific and others not so much.  ???

The pluses... great action sequences with a Kill Bill quality to them. Excellent premise for a story (derived from an anime series) and very good acting.

The minuses... they could have done without the Crouching Tiger aerobatics, the baddies in their demon form looked terribly hokey and the CGI blood splatters throughout the movie looked bad as well...

It was ok but it could have been so much better.  :headscratch:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2010, 01:11:47 AM »

Title:Tears of the Sun
Year: 2003
Director: Antoine Fuqua
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Bruce Willis (1955)
Monica Bellucci
Cole Hauser
Eamonn Walker
Johnny Messner

Plot:
Loyal veteran Navy S.E.A.L. Lt. A.K. Waters Bruce Willis) is sent into the heart of war-torn Africa on a hazardous assignment to rescue Dr. Lena Hendricks (Monica Bellucci), a U.S. citizen who runs a mission. When the beautiful doctor refuses to abandon the refugees in her care, Lt. Waters finds himself having to choose between following orders and the dictates of his own conscience. Together, they begin a dangerous trek through the deadly jungle, all the while being pursued by a rebel militia group, with only one goal in mind: to assassinate Lt. Waters' unit and the refugees in his care.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
Voices, Fact Track & Interactive Map of Africa

My Thoughts:

Second time watching this and I enjoyed it for more than the war, action flick that it was the first time I watched it. Brutal depiction of the violence and genocide in Nigeria and how morality wins over duty.

Bruce Willis was stoic but steady and a good supporting cast including Cole Hauser and Eamonn Walker in one of his better big screen roles.... (he was excellent in Cadillac Records!)

There is plenty of action to keep the war/military fans happy and a compelling enough story to interest anyone looking for a good drama.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #275 on: August 11, 2010, 04:31:44 AM »

Title:Moving McAllister
Year: 2007
Director: Andrew Black
Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Ben Gourley
Mila Kunis
Jon Heder
Rutger Hauer
Hubbel Palmer

Plot:
Rick Robinson (Gourley) is a lowly intern at a Miami law firm who dreams of becoming a partner one day. Desperate to score points with his boss, McAllister (Hauer), he commits to a favor he can't afford. Just five days before the bar exam, Rick finds himself in charge of moving McAllister's dearest possession across the country: his seductive, yet untouchable niece Michelle (Kunis) and her pet pig, Dorothy. Along the way, the mismatched pair encounters numerous obstacles and unforgettable characters, like free-spirited hitchhiker Orlick Prescott Hope (Heder). Amidst the breakdowns and strife, Rick just might manage to find love, life and himself in this trans-American road trip from hell.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This movie had a few mildly humorous moments but for the most part it was dull and dumb. The dream sequences were retarded, Jon Heder's character was gratingly annoying and I was hoping for more from Rutger Hauer but he had very little screen time in what was mostly just a cameo.

I used to find Mila Kunis's character on That 70's Show incredibly annoying and not attractive at all but she has become a full blown hottie! Still annoying... but HOT!  8)

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »

Title:The Hoax
Year: 2006
Director: Lasse Hallström
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
David Aaron Baker
John Carter
Judi Barton
Raul Julia Jr.
James Biberi

Plot:
Golden Globe® winner Richard Gere* (Shall We Dance?, Chicago) leads a stellar cast in The Hoax, the thrilling and unbelievably true story of the man who almost pulled off the biggest literary con of the 20th century. When the charismatic Clifford Irving (Gere) convinces a major publishing house that Howard Hughes, the bigger-than-life billionaire recluse, has asked Irving to pen his authorized autobiography, Irving must concoct an elaborate scheme to prove his fake manuscript is real. Inspired by Irving's tell-all book The Hoax, and directed by Lasse Hallström (Chocolat), this tensely comedic story of deception, international intrigue, powerful corporate empires and beautiful women is a wild ride down the slippery slope of a lie run amuck.

*Best Actor In A Motiom Picture – Musical Or Comedy, Chicago, 2002.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

True story of Clifford Irving who conned his way into a $1 million dollar book deal for his collaboration with Howard Hughes on his autobiography which of course was all bullshit.

Richard Gere plays the silver-tongued Irving and did a great job. Great performances from Alfred Molina and Marcia Gay Harden as well. The back and forth shenanigans between Irving and the publishers who doubt his credibility due to his checkered past is fun to watch. Speculation is that these events led to Richard Nixon's 'Hughes" paranoia which eventually resulted in Watergate.

I love movies with historical significance.  ;)

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2010, 05:25:06 AM »

Title:The Honeymooners
Year: 2005
Director:
Rating: PG
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Cedric the Entertainer
Mike Epps
Gabrielle Union
Regina Hall
Eric Stoltz

Plot:
Prepare for Non stop fast paced fun when as Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps join with Gabriella Union, Regina Hall and John Leguizamo in this outrageously funny family comedy. Cedric(and sanitation engineer} Norton (Epps)are best friends who always dream of making it big. Their most recent "get rich quick plan" finds the boys out to make their fortune by hiring a dog trainer (Leguizamo) to race their pet Greyhound.

After discovering their savings have been spent on this latest half baked hairbrained idea, their long suffering wives Alice (Union) and Trixie (Hall) finally reach the end of their ropes in this hilarious new spin on a television classic.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Lackluster comedy which is a mocking parody of the TV series... Jackie Gleason probably rolled in his grave the first time this aired. It's pretty bad when the funniest bits are to be found in the blooper real. :(

KC

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
I thought this one looked bad from the previews I saw.  I did see a few minutes of it on one of the channels I get once.  I was just flipping channels and found it.  Horrible.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »
I thought this one looked bad from the previews I saw.  I did see a few minutes of it on one of the channels I get once.  I was just flipping channels and found it.  Horrible.

Glad you were able to make that assessment in just the tidbits you saw and not after wasting 90 minutes on the whole thing like I did.   :-\

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2010, 06:57:04 AM »

Title:Let The Right One In
Year: 2008
Director: Tomas Alfredson
Length: 114 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Swedish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Swedish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Kåre Hedebrant
Lina Leandersson
Per Ragnar
Henrik Dahl
Karin Bergquist

Plot:
BASED ON THE BEST SELLER BY JOHN AJVIDE LINDQVIST
Lonely, 12-year-old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates. A new friendship develops when Eli, a pale, serious young girl who only comes out at night moves in next door. Coinciding with her arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders. As Oskar becomes more aware of Eli's tragic plight, he cannot forsake her. However, Eli knows that to continue living, she must keep relocating. But when Oskar faces his darkest hour, Eli returns to defend him the only way she can...

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:

For some inexplicable reason my wife decided to watch this with me... a surprise as she usually shies away from horror movies.

We both found this movie relatively entertaining. Far from being a hardcore vampire film, it draws you in with the combination of supernatural death and the innocence of youth.

We watched the dubbed version rather that the subbed, which was her preference, not mine as I often find that something is lost in the translation that comes off as looking like bad acting. Seldom does a vampire movie center it's beast in the form of a child. I see now that a Hollywood adaptation of this story, Let Me In, is due out soon. I was hoping for a big budget adaptation but from the looks of the trailer it looks quite similar to the original which is a bit disappointing as I thought it might get a more dynamic treatment.  This doesn't at all reflect how I felt about the original... I thought it was very well done and made up for it's lack of budget in story, atmosphere and character development.

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:52:05 AM by KinkyCyborg »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »

Title:United 93
Year: 2006
Director: Paul Greengrass
Length: 111 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
United 93 - CrewJ. J. Johnson [JJ Johnson]
Gary Commock
Polly Adams
Opal Alladin

Plot:
It's an event that shook the world. Honest, unflinching and profoundly moving, United 93 tells the unforgettable story of the heroic passengers and crew members who prevented the terrorists from carrying out their plans for the fourth hijacked plane on September 11, 2001. As on-ground military and civilian teams scrambled to make sense of the unfolding events, forty people who sat down as strangers found the courage to stand up as one.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes

My Thoughts:

Managed to get in another movie before I head off to bed and it was gripping.

The events of 9/11 will never be forgotten and everyone remembers where and what they were doing when they first heard of the planes hitting the World Trade Center. Myself, I was at work when my supervisor told me a plane had hit the Empire State Building... early details were mostly inaccurate and given the amount of chaos that was depicted in this film between the various air traffic controllers, the FAA, NORAD, news agencies and the military I'm not surprised. Nobody was prepared for this... who could conceive it possible? All I know is that day I felt a profound sense of shock, despair and fear, and at the same time a tremendous amount of gratitude that I was living in Canada. I still remember the headline on the Toronto Sun Extra that evening... it read 'BASTARDS!' I couldn't have agreed more.

What actually took place on United 93 before it went down has been left to pure speculation by not only director Paul Greengrass but also to the entire world. Conspiracy theorists have proclaimed that it was shot down by the air force, but given the amount of accounts of phone calls from loved ones who were on the plane in the moments before it crashed in Pennsylvania, I'd like to believe that the passengers and crew did decide to fight back and not let the terrorists complete their mission.

The final 30 seconds of the movie during the clash for control in the cockpit and the plane's death spiral to the ground... right up to it's impact were among the best and worst moments in my years of watching movies. I was holding my breath, heart racing, gripping the arms of my chair and gritting my teeth. When it ended and the screen faded to black a huge wave of emotion swept over me, not unlike the day I came home from work on September 11th, 2001, hugged my wife and 6 year old son... and wept.

I'm not a religious person... but God bless all those poor souls who lost their lives that day.

KC

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »

Glad you were able to make that assessment in just the tidbits you saw and not after wasting 90 minutes on the whole thing like I did.   :-\

Oh I've wasted time on other movies.  Sometimes I just suffer through them...but then I can rip them apart in a review. :D

Najemikon

« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »

Amazing film. I found it added something that the air traffic controllers played themselves, even Ben Sliney who was the one who had to take the decision to ground all the planes.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »

Amazing film. I found it added something that the air traffic controllers played themselves, even Ben Sliney who was the one who had to take the decision to ground all the planes.

I didn't know that! I watched the memorial reel in the dvd extras but none of the other bonus content as it was getting late and I was heading off to bed. Certainly adds to the authenticity.