Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858455 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »

Title: Ella Enchanted
Year: 2004
Director: Tommy O'Haver
Rating: G
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Anne Hathaway
Hugh Dancy
Cary Elwes
Aidan McArdle
Joanna Lumley

Plot:
Anne Hathaway, the delightful star of The Princess Diaries, is Ella in the charming fairy-tale adventure Ella Enchanted. On the day of her birth, Ella is given a gift from her Fairy Godmother - the gift of obedience, which is also a curse. Under no circumstance can Ella refuse anything she is asked to do, no matter how wicked it may be. Tired of being taken advantage of, Ella, with a talking book as her companion, leaves home to find her Fairy Godmother and return her unwanted gift. This simple errand soon turns into an amazing journey filled with ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, elves and the plotting of Prince Charmont's evil uncle, who wants to take over the crown and rule the kingdom. Bursting with colorful characters, music, wit and whimsy, Ella Enchanted is a truly enchanting and heart-warming tale that will captivate the entire family.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
One of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy this movie each time. I have seen it on average once a year since I got it. Anne Hathaway is just great in it. I think it's sad that she turned her back on these kind of roles.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:25 AM »

Title: The Princess Diaries
Year: 2001
Director: Garry Marshall
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 111 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Julie Andrews
Anne Hathaway
Hector Elizondo
Heather Matarazzo
Mandy Moore

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Another Anne Hathaway movie I always have enjoyed. Especially the first hour is real fun. After that it drags a little. Julie Andrews is perfect as the queen.
Is it me, or does the gym teacher look like she is the twin sister of Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia from Buffy/Angel)?

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

Title: Shrek
Director: Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Englische Stimmen
Mike Myers
Eddie Murphy
Cameron Diaz
John Lithgow
Vincent Cassel

Extras:
Booklet
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Music Videos
Production Notes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie for a long time. I think I saw it the last time, when Shrek 2 was first released. This movie still very fun to watch. All the fun fairy tale characters. One of the most fun to watch is the Gingerbread Man ("Don't tell him anything!" :laugh:)
Shrek and Donkey are probably the only good performances of Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy in this decade.
Even though I naturally watched it with the original soundtrack, I always liked the choice for the German voice of Fiona: Esther Schweins, a comedian who was big in the late 90s and does look exactly like Fiona.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »

Title: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
Director: Garry Marshall
Rating: G
Length: 113 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Anne Hathaway
Julie Andrews
Hector Elizondo
John Rhys-Davies
Heather Matarazzo

Plot:
Starring the irresistible Anne Hathaway (Ella Enchanted) and Academy Award® winner Julie Andrews (Best Actress, Mary Poppins, 1964), this modern-day fairy tale picks up right where The Princess Diaries left off! As future queen of Genovia, Princess Mia (Hathaway) has everything a girl could want -- except the magical romance she's always dreamed of. But soon, Mia's shocked to discover that she needs to get married right now or her family will lose the crown! Comic complications rule the day in this delightful family story about finding out who you really are and discovering what it takes to make your dreams come true!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Music Videos
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
One of those unnecessary sequels with lackluster direction. This movie even recycles all of the jokes of the previous movie and tries to force most of the supporting characters from the first outing into it. Most painful of those is Larry Miller as the hairdresser.

I wouldn't necessarily have followed the first movie with this sequel this time around, but I was curious about Chris Pine (new Captain Kirk) in this one. He plays the love interest here. The last time I had seen this movie, he was a complete unknown to me. He did make a decent enough job but his character was nothing special. And with his hairdo here I constantly thought "this is the new Kirk? Kirk isn't supposed to have hair!" :laugh:
The other love interest is played by Callum Blue. His character is totally different to his Mason from "Dead Like Me".
Sadly John Rhys-Davies' character is a complete joke. He deserves better.

I blame the failing of this movie on the script and the direction. I thought the lead cast (Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews and Hector Elizondo) on the other hand did a good job.

For some strange reason, Stan Lee makes a cameo in this movie. I wonder how this came about. Maybe I should listen to the audio commentary one of these days.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 01, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »

Title: Superman: The Last Son of Krypton
Year: 1996
Director: Dan Riba, Scott Jeralds, Curt Geda, Bruce Timm
Rating: U
Length: 58 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo, Swedish: Dolby Digital Stereo, Danish: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Arabic, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Tim Daly
Dana Delany
Clancy Brown
Malcolm McDowell
Christopher McDonald

Plot:
The Man Of Steel soars to new animated heights!

Join the world's most celebrated Super Hero for some high-flying adventures in this thrilling animated movie: SUPERMAN: The Last Son Of Krypton.

Follow the legendary Super Hero's life from his infancy on Krypton, to his rescue and boyhood in Smallville. The adventures continue in Metropolis when Clark Kent lands a job as reporter for the Daily Planet. Klark must discover the truth about who he is and on reaching adulthood he assumes his birthright as the Man of Steel. It's up to Kent's alter-ego SUPERMAN to battle against the evil Lex Luthor and unveil the mystery behind Lexo and its dealings with ruthless terrorists.

Extras:
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This movie is put together from the first three episodes of the 90s animated series.
I like that like in "Lois & Clark", Clark Kent is the real person and Superman is the disguise. And that Clark Kent is shown to be a very capable reporter.
I remember when I first saw these episodes, I thought this is a good start to a series I might enjoy. But after watching a few episodes from the first season, I had stopped, as also this series suffered from something, because of which I do not watch animated Superhero TV series: They focused too much on Superman fighting robots, aliens,... instead of the characters. I now see, that this even the case with this pilot movie. This is the reason why I enjoyed the series Lois & Clark so much, because that one had Clark in the focus, not Superman.

Best line:
Martha Ken: "It wouldn't be bad if people knew more about Superman. I don't want anyone thinking you are like that nut from Gotham City." :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 01, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »

Title: Krrish
Year: 2006
Director: Rakesh Roshan
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 168 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Rekha
Hrithik Roshan
Priyanka Chopra
Sharat Saxena
Puneet Issar

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Action AwardTony Ching Siu-tung, Shyam Kaushal
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Background Score AwardSalim-Sulaiman
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Director AwardRakesh Roshan
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Special Effects Award
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardRekha
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Villain AwardNaseeruddin Shah
IIFA Awards2007WonBest ActorHrithik Roshan

Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
My first Bollywood movie. I have bought it, after I came across it when looking for superhero movies I haven't seen yet. Clocking in three hours, it could have been much shorter with the same story. But I feel that seems to be the Bollywood charm to move the story along a little slower. I didn't mind. I also didn't mind the typical song-and-dance interludes, for which Bollywood is famous for. Though I enjoyed it, I won't jump on the Bollywood band wagon just yet, but I will get myself the movie to which this is the sequel to.
This is the first time I watched a movie in Hindi. I knew, that English is spoken very much in India. But I still found it strange, how they constantly switched between English and Hindi. Often even during a sentence.

Here the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wzwujpkFg

For fans for fun superhero movies, I can recommend checking this out. Tthough the first hour borders on strange. Too much "puppy eyeing" his love interest. But when he got to the big city (Singapure), it is more like superhero movie like you would expect. Pete would have to fast forward in four scenes though :laugh:
I would say, about 10-15 minutes out of 170 minutes are song and dance.

Here an example of one of the dance songs. They are used to further the love story. I expected to cringe at them, but for some reason I had a smile on my face during those :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ngr05mH50

The star of this movie played two characters: The hero and the hero's father in flashbacks. He did a good job in playing two different characters. The father is the main protagonist of the first movie, and after seeing him here, I got interested to check out the first movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:21:18 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 01, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »

Title: Shrek 2
Director: Andrew Adamson, Kelly Asbury, Conrad Vernon
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 89 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Mike Myers
Eddie Murphy
Cameron Diaz
Julie Andrews
Antonio Banderas

Awards:
Academy Award2004NominatedBest Animated Feature FilmAndrew Adamson
Academy Award2004NominatedBest Music, Song"Accidentally In Love": Adam Duritz, Charles Gillingham, Jim Bogios, David Immergluck, Matthew Malley, David Bryson (Music); Adam Duritz, Daniel Vickrey (Lyrics)
Annie Awards2004NominatedBest Animated FeatureDreamWorks Animation
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Animated EffectsJonathan Gibbs
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Directing in an Animated Feature ProductionAndrew Adamson, Conrad Vernon, Kelly Asbury
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Music in an Animated Feature ProductionHarry Gregson-Williams
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Voice Acting in an Animated Feature ProductionAntonio Banderas - Voice of Puss in Boots
Annie Awards2004NominatedIndividual Achievment - Writing in an Animated Feature ProductionAndrew Adamson, Joe Stillman, David J. Stem, David N. Weiss
Golden Globe2004NominatedOriginal Song"Accidentally in Love": David Bryson, Adam Duritz, David Immergluck, Matthew Malley, Dan Vickrey (Music/Lyrics)
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Comedic PerformanceAntonio Banderas
Online Film Critics Society Awards2005NominatedBest Animated Feature
Saturn2004NominatedBest Animated Film
Saturn2004NominatedBest DVD Special Edition Release
Teen Choice Awards2004WonChoice Movie - Comedy
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie of the Summer
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie: Animated/Computer Generated

Extras:
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great sequel. Puss in Boots is a great addition to the cast. But besides Puss, this movie hasn't aged quite as well as the first part. This is mainly because of the many human characters. Their animation is hit and miss. Some animations are really good, but sometimes it just is very noticable, that animating human movement is a very tough art form.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:21:51 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 04, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »

Title: Cheers: Season Eleven
Year: 1992
Director: James Burrows
Rating: NR
Length: 648 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Ted Danson as Sam Malone
Kirstie Alley as Rebecca Howe
Rhea Perlman as Carla Tortelli
John Ratzenberger as Cliff Clavin
Woody Harrelson as Woody Boyd
Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Frasier Crane
George Wendt as Norm Peterson

My Thoughts:

Cheers is one of the comedy series I always enjoyed. In the mid-90s, this series was first shown on German television (not counting the airing of the first 13 episodes in the 80s with different dub on public television) in the "great" time slot some time after midnight. I always made sure to tape the show to watch it the next day.
My favorite characters are Norm and Cliff. The most annoying character is Rebecca (Kirstie Alley).
Highlight in this final season for me is the last Bar Wars episode, where Gary (Cheers' nemesis) is tricked to demolish his pub. And of course the final episode.

#EpisodeRating
01The Little Match Girl
02The Beer Is Always Greener
03King Of Beers
04The Magnificent Six
05Do Not Forsake Me, 'O My Postman
06Teaching With The Enemy
07The Girl In The Plastic Bubble
08Ill-Gotten Gaines
09Feelings... Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
10Daddy's Little Middle Aged Girl
11Love Me, Love My Car
12Sunday Dinner
13Norm's Big Audit
14It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bar
15Loathe And Marriage
16Is There A Doctor In The Howe?
17The Bar Manager, The Shrink, His Wife & Her Lover
18The Last Picture Show
19Bar Wars VII: The Naked Prey
20Look Before You Sleep
21Woody Gets An Election
22It's Lonely On The Top
23Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses (Parts 1 & 2)
24The Guy Can't Help It
25One For The Road (Parts 1, 2 & 3)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 04, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »

Title: Koi... mi gaya
Year: 2003
Length: 166 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Stereo, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Rekha
Hrithik Roshan
Preity Zinta
Prem Chopra
Rajiv Verma

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Actress AwardPreity Zinta
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Choreography AwardFarah Khan
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Music Director AwardRajesh Roshan
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardRekha
Filmfare Awards2004WonCritics Award for Best PerformanceHrithik Roshan
IIFA Awards2004WonBest ActorHrithik Roshan
IIFA Awards2004WonBest DirectorRakesh Roshan

Extras:
Music Videos
Poster
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After very much enjoying the superhero movie "Krrish", I was eagerly awaiting to watch its predecessor. The first half of the movie I enjoyed very much so. I think the lead actor does a great job in portraying the mentally retarded Rohit. Here we learn which problems Rohit encounters in everyday life because of his disability. And we learn how he befriends Nisha, the love interest.
The second half though is a rip-off of E.T. Aliens land (special effect for the space ship are good) and leave again, leaving behind one of their own. This E.T. rip-off befriends Rohit and gives him abilities (great mind and physical powers). In the end Rohit must help E.T. to get home again avoiding all the military.
Rahit is the father of the character of the sequel. In the sequel we learn through flashbacks what happens to Rahit after this first movie. And these scenes were my expectations for this movie. I would have liked it better, if the second half of this movie would have had the tone similar to the scenes we saw in these flashback scenes.
The songs in this movie are rather forgettable. Nothing as catchy as the ones in Krrish. But they didn't bother me.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:20:45 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
If I could spark interest for the two Bollywood movies for any of my German-speaking friends here, I recommend this boxset. Sadly I saw it only after I already got Krrish. I think €12.95 for both movies is very well worth it. I am not regretting having paid twice as much.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2009, 09:44:42 PM »

Title: Krrish
Year: 2006
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 168 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Rekha
Hrithik Roshan
Priyanka Chopra
Sharat Saxena
Puneet Issar

Plot:
A young boy called Krishna is born with magical powers, a legacy from his father, Rohit Mehra. Hidden from the prying eyes of the world by his grandmother Sonia Mehra, he grows up one with nature... Faster the wind, stronger than mountains, purer than the rushing rivers. Into this sylvan, serene world, drops down a pretty girl - Priya - literally from the skies! Krishna is entranced by her, she's amazed at his unusual speed and strength. When she returns to Singapore, Krishna follows...

In Singapore, unkown to Krishna, Priya and her friend have hatched a plot to use Krishna's powers for personal gain. In Singapore, unknown to Krishna, Dr Siddhant Arya, whose dream of making a super specialized computer died 20 years ago with Rohit Mehra, is on the verge of a break through. Will Krishna nip Priya's plans to manipulate his powers?

Will Krishna foil Dr Arya's evil intentions to transform himself into a demi God?

Or will Krrish do for him?

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Action AwardTony Ching Siu-tung, Shyam Kaushal
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Background Score AwardSalim-Sulaiman
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Director AwardRakesh Roshan
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Special Effects Award
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardRekha
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Villain AwardNaseeruddin Shah
IIFA Awards2007WonBest ActorHrithik Roshan

Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After watching "Koi... mi gaya" I had the urge to watch the sequel "Krrish" again :laugh:
I enjoyed it just as much as the first time around, if not even more so. It may be because it combines all my favorite genres. It is a superhero movie, a romantic comedy and a musical. And it also has time-travel elements in it as the villain builds a computer (with the help of Rahit's supernatural intelect) which can look into the future.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:20:19 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »

Title: Clueless
Year: 1995
Director: Amy Heckerling
Length: 93 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital Surround, Czech: Dolby Digital Surround, Hungarian: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Alicia Silverstone
Stacey Dash
Brittany Murphy
Paul Rudd
Donald Faison

Awards:
AFI1995Nominated100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
AFI1995Nominated100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1996WonFavorite Female NewcomerAlicia Silverstone
MTV Movie Awards1996NominatedBest Comedic PerformanceAlicia Silverstone
MTV Movie Awards1996WonBest Female PerformanceAlicia Silverstone
MTV Movie Awards1996NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards1996WonMost Desirable FemaleAlicia Silverstone

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this movie. Alicia Silverstone is great in this one. Too bad her movie career went downhill (though she did make the great "Blast from the Past" later on). I always loved the scene at the end on the stairs.
This is also the first appearence of Breckin Meyer I noticed, and of course Paul Rudd.
Dan Hedaya, who played Cher's father, does the same acting like with his other character, Nick Tortelli from Cheers, only not drunk and with dyed hair.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:19:49 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2009, 12:19:23 AM »

Title: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Director: Karan Johar
Length: 210 Min.

Stars:
Amitabh Bachchan
Jaya Bachchan
Shah Rukh Khan
Kajol
Hrithik Roshan

Plot:
Yashovardhan Raichand (Amitabh Bachchan) and his wife Nandini (Jaya Bachchan) have raised their sons, Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan) and Rohan (Hrithik Roshan) showering them with love and affection. Yash has tried to pass on to his sons the values, heritage and traditions of their family. Nandini has different dreams for her sons. Dreams of love that she wanted both her sons to experience, more so Rahul as she shares a special bond with him. A bond that has been cultivated with love for a child that was never meant to be... a child who was adopted. Rahul's adoption was a secret never discussed in the Raichand household. Ever since Rahul found out at the age of 8 years, it became the reason for his unending gratitude for his parents- especially his father. His father's every wish became a command for him. A command which he never breaks until he falls in love with Anjali (Kajol)- a bubbly girl from Chandni Chowk, who dotes on her younger sister Pooja (Kareena Kapoor). Rahul marries Anjali and brings her home but his father doesn't approve of her. Rahul thus decides to leave home causing his mother's every waking moment to be spent eagerly awaiting his return. Seeing this the younger son Rohan makes a promise to reunite the family and bring back the happiness they once shared.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Actor AwardShahrukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Actress AwardKajol
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Art Direction AwardSharmishta Roy
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Dialogue AwardKaran Johar
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardAmitabh Bachchan
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardKareena Kapoor
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Supporting Actress AwardJaya Bachchan
IIFA Awards2002WonBest Male PlaybackSonu Nigam
IIFA Awards2002WonBest Supporting ActressJaya Bachchan

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I watched this movie first of the three newly purchased Bollywood movies, as this one is the longest of the three. It goes three and half hours (currently the longest movie in my collection, beating out "Das Boot: Director's Cut" by ten minutes). Strange, that I always dread watching Hollywood movies which are more than two hours long, but I do not mind Bollywood movies taking this long. As a matter of fact I already think, that when a Bollywood movie is less than two and half hours long, then something is wrong with it :laugh:
This movie started out a little too boring except for a few really fun scenes. But almost at the one hour mark, it really picked up for me and I really enjoyed the remaining two and half hours.
The movie is about a family, where one of the sons (Shah Rukh Khan) is outcast, because he fell in love with a common girl instead of marrying into an arranged marriage. The son moves with his new wife to London. Ten years later, his now grown up brother (Hrithik Roshan) follows him and is staying at his brother's without telling him who he really is. And his mission is to reconcile the father with his enstranged son.
This is now the first movie I saw with Shah Rukh Khan, who is a real superstar in Bollywood movies. And I am glad that I liked him, because he is also the star in the other two Bollywood movies I have bought.
And again we have a lot of beautiful women :)
In the beginning it was hard to keep track of who is who and how to keep them apart. But later on, only two of these women were relevant and these two are easily distinguishable.
Hrithik Roshan (who was the star in the first two Bollywood movie that I saw), again did a great performance. The only problem I have with him now is, that since I first noticed, that the has two thumbs on his right hand, I always seek out his hand when it's in the pictures. It's a little distracting. And they do not even bother one bit to hide this in any of his movies. I think they are right to just ignore this instead of constantly trying to hide it, but it is destracting nonetheless. You can see it, for example, a few times in the music video I posted with my Krrish review.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:19:14 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 09, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

Title: Kal Ho Naa Ho
Year: 2003
Director: Nikhil Advani
Length: 187 Min.

Stars:
Jaya Bachchan
Shah Rukh Khan
Saif Ali Khan
Preity Zinta
Sushma Seth

Plot:
Aman Mathur (Shahrukh Khan) is a breath of fresh air when he moves into unhappy Naina's (Priety Zinta) tiny Indian neighborhood in Manhattan, conspiring with friend Rohit (Saif Ali Khan) to help her find happiness. This tear-jerking romantic comedy-drama is the story of their journey together: how they discover themselves, find the courage to love and to celebrate life.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Actor AwardShahrukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Actress AwardPreity Zinta
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Director AwardNikhil Advani
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Lyricist AwardJaved Akhtar
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Music Director AwardShankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Filmfare Awards2004NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardShahrukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Supporting Actor AwardSaif Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Supporting Actress AwardJaya Bachchan
IIFA Awards2004WonBest ActressPreity Zinta
IIFA Awards2004WonBest LyricistJaved Akhtar
IIFA Awards2004WonBest Male PlaybackSonu Nigam
IIFA Awards2004WonBest Movie
IIFA Awards2004WonBest Music DirectorShankar-Ehsaan-Loy
IIFA Awards2004WonBest Supporting ActorSaif Ali Khan
IIFA Awards2004WonBest Supporting ActressJaya Bachchan

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Music Videos

My Thoughts:
Even more of a tearjerker than Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I enjoyed this movie. Shah Rukh Khan was good again, and Preity Zinta was a joy. The next Bollywood movie I will watch will again have those two in the starring role.
This movie is about a guy, who falls in love with Preity Zinta. After overcoming her dislike of him, she also falls in love with him. The problem is, that he has not long left to live, so he tells her that he is married and plays matchmaker between her and a good friend of hers.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:18:26 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »

Title: Corner Gas: Season Six
Year: 2009
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 420 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
How do we Canadians say farewell to a dear friend? We tap a keg and wake up the next morning on a stranger's futon. The morning haze will be flooded with memories of Brent switching to self serve; Oscar, Emma and Lacey canoodling in the new hot tub; how Davis landed himself in sensitivity training by Karen's hand; and when Wanda and Hank found themselves 'celebrities' during the Turn Off Your TV Week competition against Wullerton (spit). And did you dream it, or did a mighty wind blow the sign right off the roof of The Ruby? Yes, maybe you should have stopped at nine, but for now, don't hold back. Chug! Chug! Chug! Cheers to six hilarious seasons of great Canuck-O-Vision. You'll never look at Sasketchewan the same way again - or that new friend's futon.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A good final season. Some really fun episodes in it. And a very fitting series finale. Like the series, life goes on as usual for the characters. I liked the fact, that they hinted here to come full circle, but didn't: Corner Gas is based on the stand-up by Brett Butt. In this episode, Brent Butt character found success as a stand-up (talking about daily life of our characters). But in the end he decided this isn't for him. If he had continued so, it probably would have led to a Corner Gas series inside the Corner Gas universe.

#EpisodeRating
01Full Load
02Bend It Like Brent
03Self Serving
04Meat Wave
05All That and a Bag of Chips
06Good Tubbin'
07American Resolution
08Reader Pride
09Rock Stars
10Shirt Disturber
11Cat River Daze