Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858242 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »

Title: First Blood
Year: 1982
Director: Ted Kotcheff
Rating: 15
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Crenna
Brian Dennehy
Bill McKinney
Jack Starrett

Extras:
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
When I have last seen some parts of this movie, I was disappointed as it wasn't the Rambo I always had the impression of what Rambo should be like. But knowing this is not the case when I went into it this time around, I really enjoyed it. And I was surprised, how much of the Rambo I always envisioned him to be is in this movie, even if didn't kill anyone directly in this movie. I have a feeling that this is another Stallone franchise I will enjoy getting into years after it was made. Similar I got into the Rocky movies a few weeks ago.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
I must say, that Sylvester Stallone earned a lot of respect from me the last few weeks. As I have watched all six Rocky movies and now getting into Rambo, I see that this is all due to Stallone. Him having written all six Rocky movies and directing four of them. And also having a major hand in how the first Rambo movie turned out and having a co-writing credit in all four Rambo movies and directing the last one.
This is noticably in the interviews, that he has a special bond to these movies and he likes to (and can) talk about them. Nothing compared to Schwarzenegger when he is talking about his action movies.

Najemikon

« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
I too had a lot of respect for him, but he pretty much lost it all around Dredd. Not because I'm a disgruntled fanboy... well not just because of that anyway! ;) But it was the interviews he did at the time when he was having a bad run of movies, bad-mouthing the previous film to favour the next. Basically each interview consisted of "I know my last film was shit. I always knew it was going to be shit. But this one is brilliant...". Then it would flop and the cycle would start again. Finally he did Cop Land and seemed to pull himself together again for about three minutes before another run of crap!  :whistle:

I've always enjoyed his movies (the good ones) and I'm always interested in what he does next (Expendables looks bloody amazing!), but I don't trust his motives any more. He has done very well to be the driving force behind those two franchises, but a cynic might ask if he'd have resurrected them had his career been healthier in recent years.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2009, 11:26:45 PM »
but a cynic might ask if he'd have resurrected them had his career been healthier in recent years.

I believe, that he resurrected them because of missing hits in his career. But I am glad he did. Rocky Balboa was my favourite entry in the Rocky series. I think I will watch it again sometime soon.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »

Title: Rambo: First Blood Part II
Year: 1985
Director: George P. Cosmatos
Rating: 15
Length: 94 Min.
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Crenna
Charles Napier
Steven Berkoff
Julia Nickson

Extras:
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A decent action movie, but I liked the first movie much better. This movie really feels like only having the aim to have some Rambo action, with no real story behind it.
I noticed it in the first movie, but now it became really obvious: I am missing a decent soundtrack. Rocky had some really memorable music. I am missing this in Rambo.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »
I noticed it in the first movie, but now it became really obvious: I am missing a decent soundtrack. Rocky had some really memorable music. I am missing this in Rambo.
There isn't much soundtrack, but I really like the song which is played at the credits of the first movie and is later used as background music:

It's a Long Road by Dan Hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65L22aWPWGA
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »
There isn't much soundtrack, but I really like the song which is played at the credits of the first movie and is later used as background music:

It's a Long Road by Dan Hill
I agree! I have liked the song ever since I saw First Blood for the first time, with all its cheesiness...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »

Title: Rambo III
Year: 1988
Director: Peter MacDonald
Rating: 18
Length: 101 Min.

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Crenna
Marc De Jonge
Kurtwood Smith
Spiros Focas

Extras:
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one slightly more than Rambo 2. I like that Rambo essentially only goes along for the ride, because he wants to save his friend. But was it really necessary to have the kid in it?

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »

Title: Rambo
Year: 2008
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Rating: 18
Length: 91 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Hindi

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Julie Benz
Matthew Marsden
Graham McTavish
Rey Gallegos

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
By far the most violent of all the Rambo movies. It is more brutal than all three other combined. Body parts are flying around from the first minute on.
Sylvester Stallone steps back into the role like no time has past for Rambo. There is no mention about his advanced age, but he makes it believable, that he is still a kick-ass guy (it probably helped that Stallone got back in such good shape for Rocky Balboa).
I liked the idea, that the movie was Rambo's emotional journey to think about going back to the US. Sadly we only got to see him arriving there during the ending credits. I would have liked to see more of how he will manage there this time around. I hope the next movie will focus on this, but the rumors about the plot ideas for the next movie sound not appealing at all to me.

In conclusion: I like the first Rambo the best of the four. And I got into the mood to watch Rocky Balboa again :D

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »

Title: Hot Shots!: Part Deux
Year: 1993
Director: Jim Abrahams
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Danish, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Other, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Charlie Sheen
Lloyd Bridges
Richard Crenna
Valeria Golino
Brenda Bakke

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After having finally watched the Rambo movies, I thought it fitting to watch Hot Shots 2 again.
I think it is a nice touch, that Richard Crenna is parodying his Trautman role from the Rambo movies here.
The Hots Shots movies are still parody movies, which do not beat jokes to death like recent such movies do. They rather concentrate on visual side gags. Also the production value seems much higher.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »

Title: 27 Dresses
Year: 2008
Director: Anne Fletcher
Rating: 12
Length: 111 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: DTS HD HR, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, German

Stars:
Brian Kerwin
Charli Barcena
Peyton Roi List
Jane Pfitsch
Katherine Heigl

Plot:
Katherine Heigl (Knocked Up, Grey's Anatomy) finds the perfect fit in this sexy, stylish film from the screenwriter of The Devil Wears Prada.

Sassy, smart, single Jane (Heigl) has a great job, a fantastic apartment and is the perfect friend... but looking after other people's perfect moments can sometimes land you in hot water, especially when you have deadlines to meet, friends to please, a sister's wedding to organise, a boss you're secretly in love with and a handsome stranger thrown into the mix! What's girl to do?

Discover how Jane juggles life, love, laughter, a wardrobe of dresses and numerous weddings in this feel good film. With hilarious moments, some seriously shocking outfits and and all star cast including Ed Burns (The Holiday, She's The One) and James Marsden (Enchanted, X-Men) 27 Dresses is this season's must-have accessory.

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is very average. The first half was a real bore. It got better with the second half, but not enough to be worth a recommendation. James Marsden, who is the male romantic lead here, reminded me too much of another role of his, where he played a dimwitted Disney prince ("Enchanted"). The character played by Katherine Heigl doesn't have real substance and is very clichéd.
That it's not to say, that the movie is bad. But just not anything special.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »

Title: If Only
Year: 2004
Director: Gil Junger
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, German

Stars:
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Paul Nicholls
Tom Wilkinson
Diana Hardcastle
Lucy Davenport

Extras:
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The basic premise of this movie is nothing new, but something I usually enjoy: Someone gets the chance to relive the day to right some wrongs.
But I don't really liked how this plot device was used in this movie and the movie suffered for me here. Though it picked up for me towards the end.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is good in this movie. If you are a fan of hers, then you will probably enjoy this movie (and she runs around in underwear a lot, which doesn't hurt :laugh:). Though Pete, just to warn you, she does sing in this movie ;)
I knew that she is also a singer, but I always thought she is just another one of those actresses-wannabe-singers. But she can actually sing really well! I enjoyed her song in this movie.

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »
I knew that she is also a singer, but I always thought she is just another one of those actresses-wannabe-singers. But she can actually sing really well! I enjoyed her song in this movie.
She was a singer first, not a lot of people know that she had recorded her first album at 13 years old (or something like that) and a couple of others for the Japanese market (don't ask me why?). And yes she had a very beautifull voice, in fact I have many of her song in my computer.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
(and she runs around in underwear a lot, which doesn't hurt :laugh:). Though Pete, just to warn you, she does sing in this movie ;)

That's OK... her in her underwear trumps her singing any day!  :drooling: Besides... I can always use the mute button!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »

Title: The Bourne Ultimatum
Year: 2007
Director: Paul Greengrass
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: Japanese: DTS 5.1, English: DTS HD Master Audio, French: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Matt Damon
Julia Stiles
David Strathairn
Scott Glenn
Paddy Considine

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
U-Control

My Thoughts:
I liked this one much better than the second part. A lot of good action. I like it, when Bourne is the one in control and has the upper-hand.
What I didn't like is the extensive use of shaky camera work. They even use it in dialogue scenes.
The sound is great on this Blu-ray! I can hear why it has won two oscars for sound.

Rating: