Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858236 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #750 on: September 16, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »

Title: Underdog
Links: IMDb | Wikipedia

Year:2007 / United States
Director:Frederik Du Chau
Writing:Adam Rifkin (Screenwriter), Joe Piscatella (Screenwriter), Craig A. Williams (Screenwriter), Joe Piscatella (Writer), Craig A. Williams (Writer), Adam Rifkin (Writer)
Rating:U
Length:82 Min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: PCM 7.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dutch: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Lee as Voice of Underdog (voice)
Peter Dinklage as Dr. Simon Barsinister
Jim Belushi as Dan Unger
Patrick Warburton as Cad
Alex Neuberger as Jack

Plot:
Disney’s Underdog flies home in super-powered brilliance on Blu-ray Disc®. After an accident in the mysterious lab of mad scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister, an ordinary beagle finds himself with extraordinary powers...and the ability to talk! Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capital City, particularly a beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebreed. When a diabolical plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad threatens to destroy Capital City only Underwear...(oops!)... Underdog can save the day. See his spectacular stunts and hear every crime-stopping "crunch-pow-whoosh" in the dazzling dimension of Disney Blu-ray - Magic In High Definition!

Awards:
Young Artist Awards2008NominatedBest Family Feature Film (Fantasy or Musical)
Young Artist Awards2008NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Leading Young ActorAlex Neuberger
Young Artist Awards2008NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young ActressTaylor Momsen

Extras:
2 Underdog Cartoons
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Nice harmless fun. I didn't know the original animated series. I enjoyed it overall, even though it is mainly aimed at kids. On the Blu-ray release there are two episodes of the original animated series and it is interesting to see the simularities. They have taken surprisingly lot of stuff from the series.
Patrick Warburton plays again a dimwitted big guy. He does it well. I am always reminded of his role as The Tick, when he plays such a part.
Besides the two short animated episodes the bonus material is thin. There is a five-minute fluff making-of, a few forgettable deleted scenes and a horrible music video.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:52:02 AM by Tom »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 17, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
I thought the movie was a lot of fun... but you couldn't pay me to watch the old cartoon... I hated that cartoon even as a kid! :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »

Title: Spy Girl

Year:2004 / South Korea
Director:Han-chun Park
Writing:Won-jun Ha (Writer)
Rating:Category I
Length:102 Min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English

Stars:
Jeong-hwa Kim as Park Hyo-jin
Yu Kong as Choi Ko-bong
Sang-mi Nam as Nam Jin-a
Jadu as Park Hyo-jin II
Il-seob Baek as Park Mu-sun

Plot:
A North Korean spy sent across the DMZ to find a fellow spy that has run off with the Communist country's operational funds. Things don't quite go as plan, and Hyo-jin (Kim Jung-hwa) finds herself working at a Burger King as cover. Alas, Hyo-jin is too pretty for her own good, which immediately makes her the star "server" at the fast food chain. Soon all the boys, including failed student Ko-Bong (Gong Yu), are lining up to be served. But after Ko-Bong posts Hyo-Jin's pictures on an internet bulletin board that touts the "top Angel" working a the Burger King, it threatens to expose Hyo-Jin's cover. What's a spy to do?

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The premise sounded interesting and fun, but the actual movie was rather boring. It could have been so much more. I felt that it had no real direction. Maybe I just had the wrong expectations for it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:51:36 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 18, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
     200 Pound Beauty (2006/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

CN Entertainment, Golden Scene (Hong Kong)
Director:Kim Yong-hwa
Writing:Suzuki Yumiko (Story By), Kim Yong-hwa (Screenwriter), Noh Hye-yeong (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Ah-jung Kim as Kang Han-na
Jin-mo Ju as Sang-jun
Yong-geon Kim as President Choi
Dong-il Song as President Choi
Hyeon-shik Lim

Plot:
Hanna (Kim A-joong) is the ghost singer for famous Korean pop idol Ammy. But in real life, she is made fun of because of her weight and appearance. When Ammy's malicious jokes leaves Hanna humiliated and heartbroken, she makes a drastic decision to undergo full-body plastic surgery, thereby changing her life forever...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Even though the premise sounds like it would be the standard silly rom-com fare, I didn't think that it was. I think it was handled great how "Jenny" learns how she is handled differently after the plastic surgery. Also how the matter of plastic surgery is handled throughout is surprisingly well done.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:36:14 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 19, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
     Chai Lai (2008/Thailand)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Magnet, Magnolia Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Poj Arnon, Imagimax Animation and Design Studio
Writing:Poj Arnon (Story By), Poj Arnon (Screenwriter), Imagimax Animation and Design Studio)
Length:102 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Jintara Poullap as Cha-ba
Supaksorn Chaimongkol as Water-Lily
Katesarin Akethavatkul as Poy-Sian
Bunyawan Pongsuwan as Face Cow
Nawarat Taecharatanaprasert as Mikl

Plot:
Miki, the daughter of a professor and martial arts master is sought after by an organized crime syndicate for her knowledge about the location of a hidden treasure, the Andaman Pearl. Five sexy undercover agents – Rose, Lotus, Pouy-sian, Spadix and Hibiscus – known as Chai Lai Angels are enlisted to protect her. However, the Chai Lai Angels are overtaken in an attack, which concludes with Miki being kidnapped. These dangerous flowers must use all of their resources and skills to fight and recover Miki and protect the Andaman Pearl. But, as they soon find out, this mission is unlike any they've encountered before.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I expected a silly little movie in the style of Charlie's Angels. And essentially it is what I got. But still I couldn't get into it. I didn't connect with any of the characters. And even though there are a lot of fights, they didn't keep me interested.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:35:46 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 24, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »

Title: Sky High

Year:2005 / United States
Director:Mike Mitchell
Writing:Paul Hernandez (Writer), Bob Schooley (Writer), Mark McCorkle (Writer)
Rating:PG
Length:99 Min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40
Audio:English: PCM 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Michael Angarano as Will Stronghold
Kurt Russell as Steve/The Commander
Kelly Preston as Josie/Jetstream
Danielle Panabaker as Layla
Chris Wynne as News Anchor

Plot:
Experience the wonder of Disney's Sky High on Blu-ray's high definition disc. The fun and exitement reach new heights in this revolutionary format.

The son of legendary crime fighters Commander and Jetstream, Will Stronghold has huge expectations as he enters a high-tech school known for moulding the heroes of tomorrow. But with no aparent superpowers of his own, is Will destined to be a mere sidekick? Watch in eye-popping 1080p as Will discovers his true strengths, and experience the awesome power of enhanced audio. Heroic adventure truly takes flight with Blu-ray™ High Definition!

Awards:
Young Artist Awards2006NominatedBest Family Feature Film – Comedy or Musical

Extras:
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie. Although it is full of clichés. It's your typical story about an average guy who gets thrown into the popular crowd and forgetting about his old friends until he realizes he became a jerk and redeems himself. I enjoyed Zoom more though for some reason.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:50:30 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 24, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »

Title: Lovely Rivals

Year:2004 / South Korea
Director:Gyu-seong Jang
Writing:Gyu-seong Jang (Writer), Won-jae Lee (Writer)
Rating:
Length:114 Min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Jung-ah Yum as Yeo Mi-ok
Se-yeong Lee as Ko Mi-nam
Ji-hun Lee as Kwon Sang-choon
Hie-bong Byeon as Headmaster
Seung-won Cha as Kim Bong-du (Cameo)

Plot:
Since a young and gorgeous primary school teacher, Mi-ok's work ethic is lousy, and her attitude towards managing her school matters is draconian, her colleagues and students do not get along with her at all. A new semester is coming up soon, and student, Mi-nam, just gets transferred to Mi-ok's primary school. Being a new student at the school, Mi-nam is isolated by her classmates. She thinks that she can turn to Mi-ok whenever she needs to share with someone, but Mi-ok ignores her and gives her the cold shoulder. On the contrary, Mi-ok treats the new arts teacher, Sang-min differently and cares about him a lot. Therefore, Mi-nam and Mi-ok become hostile and rude to each other. What's more, Mi-nam plans to unmask Mi-ok's bad behaviour and characters in front of Sang-min......

Extras:

My Thoughts:
Surprisingly heart-felt movie. I expected a simple movie about some funny rivalry between teacher and student. But it dealt with more than that. It deals with the personal issues of both and why the rivalry goes as far as it did.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:42:16 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
     Kick-Ass (2010/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Pictures (United Kingdom)
Director:Matthew Vaughn
Writing:Mark Millar (Original Material By), John S. Romita (Original Material By), Jane Goldman (Screenwriter), Matthew Vaughn (Screenwriter)
Length:118 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass
Garrett M. Brown as Mr. Lizewski
Clark Duke as Marty
Evan Peters as Todd
Deborah Twiss as Mrs Zane

Plot:
When Dave Lizewski, an ordinary teenager, sets about trying to become the no-power vigilante Kick-Ass, he soon discovers he's not alone. But he's out of his depth - a fearless and highly trained father-daughter crime-fighting duo, Big Daddy and Hit Girl, have declared war on New-York mafioso, Frank D'Amico. As Kick-Ass and his new found friend, Red Mist, get drawn into their no-holds-barred world of bullets and blood, the stage is set for a final showdown - in which the DIY hero will have to live up to his name...or die trying.

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I still haven't written a review about this fabulous movie. I loved it, of course. I watched it three times at the cinema. The most I have ever watched a movie in the theater. I even got other excited about this movie after I "dragged" them into the cinema. They didn't know anything about this movie beforehand. I was vary if they will enjoy it, but after watching it they often have asked me, when the DVD is finally going to be released.

Hitgirl is of course the highlight of this movie. Also Nicholas Cage did a great job as Big Daddy. I enjoy this movie from beginning to end and I still am not tired of watching it.
This movie is a great example of a comic book adaption. They took what fits in a movie, and changed some stuff which wouldn't work on-screen as well as on page.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:37:08 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 03, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »

Title: The Sword in the Stone

Year:1963 / United States
Director:Wolfgang Reitherman
Writing:Bill Peet (Screenwriter), T. H. White (Original Material By)
Rating:U
Length:76 Min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Icelandic: Dolby Digital 5.1, Swedish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Finnish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, Finnish, Hindi, Swedish

Stars:
Sebastian Cabot as Sir Ector (voice)
Karl Swenson as Merlin (voice)
Rickie Sorensen as Arthur (Wart) (voice)
Junius Matthews as Archimedes (voice)
Ginny Tyler as Little Girl Squirrel (voice)

Plot:
Disney's 18th Animated Classic

Humour, spectacle and magic rule in Walt Disney's legendary classic tale The Sword in the Stone - now celebrating its 45th Anniversary with exciting new bonus features!

Embark on an adventure-filled quest for an unlikely hero! According to legend, only someone with honour, decency and inner strength can claim the throne of England by pulling out the enchanted sword that lies locked in a massive stone. Many brave knights have tried, so it seems impossible that a young apprentice known as Wart could succeed. But with the guidance of the wizard Merlin, help from some hilarious friends and true strength of character, Wart just might become England's greatest king.

There's even more wizardry fun with marvelous new bonus features, including the all-new Merlin's Magical Academy Game, animated shorts, Disney's song selection and much more! The Sword in the Stone 45th Anniversary Edition DVD is a magical experience your whole family will want to share again and again!

Awards:
Academy Award1963NominatedBest Music, Adaptation / Original Song ScoreGeorge Bruns (Adaptation Score)

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I last saw this movie when I was a kid. I really loved the battle between Merlin and Madame Mim at the end. I still like it. I also enjoyed the watching the movie again. What I didn't like was the voice acting of Arthur. The voice never fit. Seems like they had trouble with the role as they are switching three different voice actor throughout the movie. Sometimes even in a scene.
The interaction between Merlin and Archimedes were great though.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:52:50 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 03, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »

Title: The One

Year:2001 / United States
Director:James Wong
Writing:Glen Morgan (Writer), James Wong (Writer)
Rating:15
Length:87 Min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles:English, Hindi, Spanish

Stars:
Jet Li as Gabe, Yulaw, Lawless
Carla Gugino as T.K., Massie Walsh
Delroy Lindo as Roedecker, Attendant
Jason Statham as Funsch
James Morrison as Aldrich, "A" World Inmate #1

Plot:
From the director of Final Destination comes a wild, action-packed trip to the future starring superstar Jet Li (Romeo Must Die, Lethal Weapon 4) in an incredible dual role as a police officer in a fight for his life and a universe-hopping assassin obsessed with terminating it. Also starring Carla Guhino (Spy Kids), Jason Stratham (Snatch) and Delroy Lindo (Gone in 60 Seconds) and loaded with explosive action and jaw-dropping effects beyond your wildest imagination!

Awards:
MTV Movie Awards2002NominatedBest FightJet Li vs. Himself
Saturn2001NominatedBest Science Fiction Film
Taurus Award2002NominatedBest Fire StuntDavid Wald, Hiro Koda

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Disappointing. The premise sounded something which could be fun, but also something which could easily be done wrong. For some reason this movie just didn't click with me. I was glad about its short runtime (though it seemed to be longer).

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:49:09 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »

Title: French Kiss

Year:1995 / United States
Director:Lawrence Kasdan, Cinesite
Writing:Adam Brooks (Writer), Cinesite)
Rating:15
Length:106 Min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Meg Ryan as Kate
Kevin Kline as Luc
Timothy Hutton as Charlie
Jean Reno as Jean-Paul
François Cluzet as Bob

Plot:
Meg Ryan (When Harry Met Sally) and Kevin Kline (A Fish Called Wanda) are a Paris match made in heaven in this hilarious, adventure-filled romantic comedy from the director of The Accidental Tourist and The Big Chill.

Straight-laced Kate (Ryan) has her future all planned out: marry her fiance Charlie (Timothy Hutton) and live happily ever after. What she didn't count on was Juliette, the beautiful French woman Charlie falls for on a business trip to Paris! Determined to win him back, Kate jumps on a plane where she meets Luc (Kline), a petty thief whom she immediately dislikes. But when Luc sneaks a stolen necklace into Kate's purse, she finds herself travelling through France with him on a trip full of suprises... the biggest one being that this con man is stealing her heart! A sexy, savvy and very funny romantic romp, French Kiss is a passionate, heartfelt reminder that life can always suprise you.

Awards:
AFI1995Nominated100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After having recently watched and reviewed the Bollywood remake "Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha" of this movie, I wanted to revisit the original. I like this movie, but overall I enjoyed the Bollywood version more. Maybe it is because the male protagonist has more redeeming qualities. His reason to be a thief are more noble. Also, even though I like Meg Ryan, I enjoyed Kajol much more in this role.
I also have a problem with this DVD release. Whenever someone speaks in French, it is not subtitled. Only if I switch on the English subtitle track, but then everything is subtitled. There doesn't seem to be a separate subtitle track for the French only parts.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:48:46 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
     Iron Man 2 (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Concorde Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Jon Favreau
Writing:Justin Theroux (Screenwriter)
Length:125 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Commentary: DTS 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, German

Stars:
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts
Don Cheadle as Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes
Scarlett Johansson as Natalie Rushman / Natasha Romanoff
Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer

Plot:
Robert Downey Jr. returns as billionaire Tony Stark in this thrilling sequel to the worldwide blockbuster. Now that his superhero secret has been revealed, Tony's life is more intense than ever. Everyone wants in on the Iron Man technology, whether for power or profit...but for Ivan Vanko ('Whiplash'), it's revenge! Tony must once again suit up and face his most dangerous enemy yet, but not without a few new allies of his own. Co-starring Mickey Rourke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson, Iron Man 2 is a 'total blast!' (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

Extras:
  • AC/DC Sticker
  • BD-Live
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Booklet
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Photo Gallery
  • Picture-in-picture
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.-Datenbank
  • Scene Access
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Trailers
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
I had hoped that a second viewing (after my original cinema visit) will improve on this movie, now that I had the chance to watch it with the original language. But sadly this movie still is a huge disappointment to me. I don't like the villain and I don't like the alcohol/health problem storyline which has been done to death. Sadly I even thought that Samuel L. Jackson and SHIELD was out of place in this movie. I also didn't like the over-the-top egomania by Iron Man.
Also the action scenes do not have any bite and there are so obvious CGI Iron Man and Warhammer puppets thrown around.
For all my critique I still give a rather high mark, because objectively it is a nice superhero action movie. I probably just had too high of an expectation.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:37:51 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 09, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
     The Beast & the Beauty (2005/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Taiwan)
Director:GaeByok Lee
Writing:JoYoon Hwang (Screenwriter), Tony Han (Screenwriter)
Length:102 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
SeungBum Ryoo as DongGun Goo
MinA Shin as Hae-Ju Jang
KangWoo Kim as JuneHa Tak
KilKang An as DoSik Choi
YoungSook Lee as JaeJu's Mother

Extras:
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A nice romantic comedy. A guy who isn't the best looking guy learns, that his blind girlfriend will get her eyesight back. Ashamed by his appearance, and because he described himself as handsome to her, he is hiding from her now. Added to that an old handsome school friend of his has entered the girlfriends life.
South Korea seems to be a nice source to get some charming romantic comedies. I have watched and enjoyed a few so far. I even ordered a few more recently.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:38:46 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 17, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
     My Sassy Girl (2001/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

EDKO Films (Hong Kong)
Director:Jae-young Kwak
Writing:Ho-sik Kim (Original Material By), Jae-young Kwak (Screenwriter)
Length:123 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Korean: DTS 5.1

Stars:
Tae-hyun Cha as Kyun-woo
Ji-hyun Jun as The Girl
Jin-hie Han as The Girl's father
Sook-hee Hyun as The Girl's mother
Il-woo Kim as Quintuplets

Plot:
One night, Kyun-woo meets a terribly drunken girl. He is ashamed to help her, but once he does, a deep sense of responsibility has been developed within him: he decides to heal her pain. Even though she slaps him, pushes him into the pool, forces him to wear heels, he tolerates. Will she stay after the pain is healed?

Awards:
Won:
Hong Kong Film Award (2002)  Best Asian Film

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one first from my newly arrived South Korean romantic comedies, because this one is constantly mentioned as one of the best Korean rom-coms. And it also stars the same lead actress as "Il Mare", a movie I rewatched a few days ago.
I enjoyed it throughout. Both actors did a great job. It also had a satisfying ending. There is a Hollywood remake of this movie. Though it doesn't seem to be received well. I am not even curious to check it out, as I believe that what worked here will not work for a Hollywood movie. There it will be to clichéd.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:00:59 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 17, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
     Windstruck (2004/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

EDKO Films (Hong Kong)
Director:Jaeyong Kwak
Writing:Hoontack Jung (Original Material By), Jaeyong Kwak (Writer)
Length:123 min.
Audio:Korean: DTS ES 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Korean: Dolby Digital EX 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Cantonese: Dolby Digital EX 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1)
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean

Stars:
Jihyun Jun as Yeo Kyungjin
Hyuk Jang as Go Myungwoo
Taewook Kim as Kim Youngho
Hobin Jung as Shin Changsoo
Jungse Oh as Corporal Jo/Prince 1

Plot:
When officer Kyungjin hears a woman screaming, she cannot let such a crime go unnoticed. She catches a man, Myungwoo, and takes him to the police stations. There, she discovers that Myungwoo is the brave citizen who tried to catch the real criminal. As a newly-appointed teacher at an all girl's high school, Myungwoo needs to to supervise students on a field trip to the red-light district. An officer is assigned to protect him, to his dismay, that person is Kyungjin. Now, it's time for the mission to start.

Extras:
  • Photo Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
After watching and enjoying "My Sassy Girl" I thought I'd watch this one next. It is by the same director and stars the same actress. For some reason I enjoyed it even more (though it is not as critically acclaimed). I was expecting a drama, but the first half was a real nice romantic comedy. With the second half it shifted into a drama. For me this shift worked but I can understand when some feel that it feels like two different movies glued together.

(click to show/hide)

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:39:26 PM by Tom »