Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 19354 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Anything Goes
Once again this weekend there will be no theme what so ever to my marathon. I can watch anything at any time. Whether it is on DVD, Cable, On-Demand or even... My brother downloaded a small handful of new release movies off the net that he wants me to watch... so there could even be a new movie here and there in the mix. I personally don't normally download movies from the net... but since they are already downloaded and on the computer... I will check them out and see if they are worth watching. One of the things I want to do is work a little (at least a couple) on my unwatched DVD collection. At this point I have 150 Movies in my unwatched DVD Collection.

I also feel like doing something in between each movie this weekend. But I wanted it to be something I haven't done before. I have a few discs of the old Max Fleischer's Superman theatrical shorts. So I think I will watch one of these shorts between each of the movies I watch this weekend.

Current Unwatched DVD Collection:
  1. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
   2. Abomination: Evilmaker 2
   3. The Adventures of Tartu
   4. Aerial Gunner
   5. An Angel for Christmas
   6. Apocalypse Rising
   7. The Bat
   8. Battle of Blood Island
   9. Battleship Potemkin
  10. Best of the Best
  11. The Big Lift
  12. Black Brigade
  13. Black Hawk Down
  14. Black Ribbon
  15. Blood Alley
  16. Blood on the Sun
  17. Blood Stained Bride
  18. Boiling Point
  19. Brainiac
  20. Branded
  21. British Intelligence
  22. Casulties of War
  23. Chain Reaction
  24. Chocolat
  25. Circus of Fear
  26. Commandos
  27. Convoy
  28. Crossroads
  29. Curse of Pirate Death
  30. Cyrano de Bergerac
  31. Dark Light
  32. Dark Places
  33. The Darkness
  34. The Dawn Express
  35. Deadly Drifter
  36. Derailed
  37. Desert Heat
  38. The Devil Bat
  39. Diabolique
  40. Die, Sister Die
  41. Doctor Strange
  42. Double Team
  43. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
  44. Dr. Phibes Rides Again
  45. Drawing Blood
  46. Edgar Allen Poe's Darkness
  47. Embryo
  48. Farewell to Arms
  49. Fear of the Dark
  50. Feral
 51. The Fighting Seabees
  52. Fists of Fear, Touch of Death
  53. Fist of the Vampire
  54. Flesh Feast
  55. Flying Blind
  56. The Flying Leathernecks
  57. Foriegner
  58. Four in a Jeep
  59. Foxes
  60. Full Frontal
  61. Full Metal Jacket
  62. God Told Me To
  63. Gone with the Wind
  64. The Gorilla
  65. The Great American Snuff Film
  66. The Green Berets
  67. Gung Ho
  68. Half Past Dead
  69. Hell's Threshold
  70. Home Made
  71. House by the Cemetery
  72. Identity Unknown
  73. Immortal
  74. In Harms Way
  75. Infinity
  76. The Innocent
  77. Into Thy Hands
  78. Intolerance: Love's Struggle Through the Ages
  79. Jack the Ripper
  80. Jarhead
  81. Jaws: The Revenge
  82. Kennel Murder Case
  83. Kill Cruise
  84. Knight Chills
  85. Laser Mission
  86. Last Best Chance
  87. The Last Chance
  88. Left Behind 2
  89. Legacy of Blood
  90. The Longest Day
  91. Majestic
  92. The Man with Two Brains
  93. Messiah of Evil
  94. Minesweeper
  95. My Blue Heaven
  96. Nabonga
  97. The Navy Way
  98. Nutcracker: An American Nightmare
  99. One Eyed Jack
 100. One of Our Aircraft is Missing
101. Operation Pacific
 102. Pajama Game
 103. Paranormal Activity
 104. Passenger 57
 105. Pony Trouble
 106. Primal Fear
 107. Private Buckaroo
 108. Puppet Show
 109. Rage of the Master
 110. Replicant
 111. Return of the Boogeyman
 112. Return of the Magnificent Seven
 113. Ricochet
 114. The River: Legend of La Llorona
 115. Road to Bali
 116. Sabbath
 117. Sands of Iwo Jima
 118. Screaming Ninja
 119. The Sea Chase
 120. Seven Doors of Death
 121. Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
 122. Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green
 123. The Shunned House
 124. Sickness House
 125. Silent Bloodnight
 126. Sinners
 127. Sisters of Death
 128. Slasher
 129. Sleep Disorder
 130. Snake Crane Secret
 131. The Somnambulists
 132. Spitfire
 133. The Stranger
 134. Super Hell
 135. Super Hell 2
 136. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
 137. Theater of Blood
 138. They Were Expendable
 139. This Darkness
 140. A Vampire's Tale
 141. Vulture's Eye
 142. Up From Zero
 143. The Watcher
 144. Web of the Spider
 145. White Fang to the Rescue
 146. White Zombie
 147. Who Am I?
 148. Wild Bunch
 149. Wings of an Eagle
 150. Woodland Haunting 2

Is there any in the above that are good that you would like to recommend to me? Or ones you are curious about that you would like to see a review for? If so let me know. No promises, but I will try to fit them in this weekend.

Normally my weekend movie marathons run from Friday through Sunday. But if the mood hits later today I may watch 1 or 2 today as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:22:54 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Critter

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
My brother downloaded a small handful of new release movies off the net that he wants me to watch... so there could even be a new movie here and there in the mix. I personally don't normally download movies from the net... but since they are already downloaded and on the computer... I will check them out and see if they are worth watching.

I have over 700 downloaded movies on my computer that I did not download. A family friend of hours literally filled an entire hardrive with them and placed it in my computer. It's been there a while now and since my computer hooks up to the whole families network I won't delete them becuase others watch them. I just found Pete's comment interesting then though, I thought downloaded movies were mostly taboo here, or is it okay if you didn't download them yourself and like Pete said they are already on the computer. Ah well either way I like to watch movies sitting on my couch (I get uncomfortable on my desk chair after a long time) but I still can't hide the fact that I am a pirate.
The hardrive also has over 60 full TV shows... :fingerchew:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »
As I said... downloading movies is not something I would normally do. Usually the only time I would do it is if it is basically the only way available to me. like stuff I don't expect to see the light of day any other way (like I would like to find a copy of the TV Reunion Movie The Bionic Showdown as it has Sandra Bullock in it). Something like that I would download and watch. But I usually stay away from theatrical movies and in worst case scenario I would wait for the movie to come on cable. But my brother downloaded some movies to watch and told me about some that either I would like or Britt and I would like together...

- The Wolfman (new one... this one is what broke me... have to see it!) :P
- Legion
- Planet 51
- Planet Hulk
- Scooby Doo: Abracadabra Doo
- The Toothfairy
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
I thought if it were on TV or cable you were allowed to tape it. You are paying for it through cable fees, ads etc. I know that when I had cable (a long time ago) the fees kept going up because the certain shows kept increasing the fees that Time Warner Cable paid. They even dumped the NFL network, the last straw for me, and wouldn't broadcast it.

So, as far as I'm concerned, you are paying for them so go ahead and watch them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:33:31 PM by Kathy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »
The problem is... a couple of these are still at the theater. Won't be available on Cable for quite some time I imagine.  :P

But talking about it... I looked for The Bionic Showdown (a TV Reunion Movie BTW) and found a zip file with all 3 6 Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman Reunion Movies. So I Should be able to watch those as well. :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
Go ahead...enjoy them any way...Big Brother isn't watching you!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
I just hope the copies are worth looking at! If not I will just delete and wait.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »
Well... since Britt is here with me today... thought we would go ahead and start watching some movies.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »

Tooth Fairy
A bad deed on the part of a tough minor-league hockey player results in an unusual sentence: He must serve one week as a real-life tooth fairy.

Stars:
Dwayne Johnson
Ashley Judd
Stephen Merchant
Julie Andrews

My Thoughts:
This is the first one Britt and I decided to watch together. It is one of the movies my brother downloaded for us to watch together. It is a Disney movie starring Dwayne Johnson as a reluctant Tooth Fairy. I went into this one with some doubts. But I must admit... there was quite a few laughs in it. Definitely worth the time put into it. I will have to add this one to my DVD collection when I can.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
I thought downloaded movies were mostly taboo here, or is it okay if you didn't download them yourself and like Pete said they are already on the computer.
For me it depend of :

1. Is the movie unavailable in its complete form on DVD?
2. Is the dvd available is just a VHS transfert?
3. Is the dvd is OOP?

If the answer is yes for the 3 questions it's OK to download it, but if a movie was re-released by a second label later the first one isn't fair game anymore. For me those 3 simple rules work perfectly and the people in the movie bussiness I know had no problem with this. Don't forget that I work for some indie label to report copyright infringment on the web, what is of course the fact to download a movie who is always at the theatre. But you're lucky since I don't work for those big studios and I couldn't care less about them (in a way they are more responsible of the bad sales problem of the indie label than the piracy are)...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
I think I may changed my mind about the Superman Shorts... All the sudden not much in the mood for them for some reason.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »
I thought downloaded movies were mostly taboo here, or is it okay if you didn't download them yourself and like Pete said they are already on the computer.
For me it depend of :

1. Is the movie unavailable in its complete form on DVD?
2. Is the dvd available is just a VHS transfert?
3. Is the dvd is OOP?

If the answer is yes for the 3 questions it's OK to download it, but if a movie was re-released by a second label later the first one isn't fair game anymore. For me those 3 simple rules work perfectly and the people in the movie bussiness I know had no problem with this. Don't forget that I work for some indie label to report copyright infringment on the web, what is of course the fact to download a movie who is always at the theatre. But you're lucky since I don't work for those big studios and I couldn't care less about them (in a way they are more responsible of the bad sales problem of the indie label than the piracy are)...
A couple of the TV shows are not available on DVD but almost all of the 700 films are. As I said before I hardly ever watch them, the person who gave them too us has a terrible taste in film (in my opinion anyway) and out of the 700 there's not many I really want to watch. I also only ever post reviews here that I watch on DVD/

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »

Title: My Blue Heaven
Year: 1990
Director: Herbert Ross
Rating: PG-13
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Steve Martin as Vinnie
Rick Moranis as Barney
Joan Cusack as Hannah
Melanie Mayron as Crystal
William Irwin as Kirby

Plot:
The zaniness continues in My Blue Heaven, which asks Can an urban hood be happy with suburbanhood? Martin is a mob informant tucked away in a Witness Protection Program. Backup includes comedy reliables Rick Moranis, Joan Cusack, screenwriter Nora Ephron and director Herbert Ross. Laugh 'til you're blue!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I went into this one not sure what to expect since Steve Martin in his early career was rather silly and over acted. And this one is no exception. But it does have a pretty good storyline. Nothing really laugh out loud funny... but more smile on your face fun. There was also one of those familiar faces that I have seen a lot... but never knew who the guy was. A skinny older guy with a very memorable voice. I looked him up on the credits... his name is  William Hickey. Anyone recognize him by his name here? Unfortunately the DVD itself leaves a lot to be desired. Part of a Comedy Double Feature with another old Steve Martin movie The Man with Two Brains... there is no extras what so ever for this movie...and it is in Pan and Scan. Which is something I wish I noticed before I bought the release. At least it was cheap at only $3.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

The Ugly Truth
A romantically challenged morning show producer is reluctantly embroiled in a series of outrageous tests by her chauvinistic correspondent to prove his theories on relationships and help her find love. His clever ploys, however, lead to an unexpected result.

Stars:
Katherine Heigl
Gerard Butler
Bree Turner
Eric Winter
Nick Searcy

My Thoughts:
I came across this one on Starz On-Demand. And I wanted to check it out as I am becoming more and more a fan of Katherine Heigl. It is not a bad movie... but it should have been better. Actually it is pretty average when it comes to Romantic Comedy. Sure Katherine Heigl was both hot and entertaining in it... Gerard Butler was alright in it as well. But this movie is missing a little something I can't quite put my finger on... something that makes for a great romantic comedy. Most of the jokes I have seen before... so it is not terrible original either. But as I said... it does entertain some... and I did like Katherine Heigl. I guess if I found this one cheap enough I would pick it up. But it would have to be under $10 before I would consider it..

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

Rambo
In Thailand, John Rambo joins a group of mercenaries to venture into war-torn Burma, and rescue a group of Christian aid workers who were kidnapped by the ruthless local infantry unit.

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Julie Benz
Matthew Marsden
Graham McTavish
Rey Gallegos

My Thoughts:
This one I watched on Showtime On-Demand. What did I think of this installment of the franchise?  Well... there was things I liked... and there was things I disliked. The main thing I disliked is while in a different place... it (and I mean all of them) is basically the same thing, Which is not really a huge deal... as you tend to expect it from past experience of the franchise. Things I liked.... I am becoming a bigger fan all the time of Julie Benz. I really liked her i this movie. But then I really don't remember disliking her in anything I have seen her in so far. Also the violence and gore is brought up yet another notch. Sure this could be a bad thing for some people... but I rather enjoy it. I mean it gives it a more real feel to it. I mean it is war we are talking about here... and if that is not violent and full of gore in real life... then what is? This is another movie I hope to add to my collection at some point before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete