Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Romantic Comedies  (Read 18299 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Romantic Comedies
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
What with Valentine's Day this weekend I decided to honor the Holiday by watching a weekend full of Romantic Comedies. It was of course my wife (girlfriend at the time) that first got me watching Romantic Comedies. And I have been enjoying them every since. But even to this day (just over 14 years after my wife passed away) I still think of her every time I watch one. I been looking forward to watching this marathon so long that I decided to make it a special 4 day weekend and make the marathon last from Thursday to Sunday. I also decided to make this one not only include my DVD collection but Cable TV and On-Demand as well.

My Romantic Comedy DVDs:
- 13 Going on 30 (Watched Recently)
- 50 First Dates
- AquaMarine (Brittany's)
- Bewitched
- Blast from the Past
- Bruce Almighty (Watched Recently)
- Can't Hardly Wait (Watched Recently)
- Chasing Amy
- Fools Rush In
- Heart and Souls
- His Girl Friday
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- I'm with Lucy
- Imagine Me & You
- Love Potion #9
- Made in Manhattan
- Meet John Doe
- The Princess Diaries
- The Proposal
- Runaway Bride
- See Jane Date
- Serving Sara
- Swept Away
- Two Weeks Notice
- The Wedding Singer
- What a Woman Wants
- While You Were Sleeping
- You've Got Mail

So if you see any above you would like me to review... just ask and I will do my best to get to them within this marathon. And Yes Tom... I will be sure to get to Imagine Me & You.  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:33:02 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Romantic Comedies
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »

Title: The Proposal
Year: 2009
Director: Anne Fletcher
Rating: PG-13
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Margaret Tate
Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton
Mary Steenburgen as Grace Paxton
Craig T. Nelson as Joe Paxton
Betty White as Grandma Annie

Plot:
Sandra Bullock is at her funniest in the fresh, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy The Proposal. On the verge of being deported and losing the high-powered job she lives for, the controlling Margaret announces she's engaged to her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). After proposing a few demands of his own, the mismatched couple heads to Alaska where they have four short days to convince his quirky family and a very skeptical immigration agent that their charade is real. Featuring a star-studded supporting cast, including Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson and the delightfully inappropriate Betty White, this madcap comedy will have you saying "yes" to The Proposal again and again.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This movie here is the main reason I wanted to start my marathon a little early this weekend. As I am a fan of both Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, I been really looking forward to this movie since the first time I saw the trailer for it. Going into this one the hardest part for me was not having my hopes up too high. And I think I managed that as I found I enjoyed this movie very much. I think the funniest scene in the entire movie was the shower/running into each other naked scene. Basically the only scene I actually laughed at in the movie. But I do believe a romantic comedy isn't so much about actual laugh out loud moments. More about a lighthearted look at falling in love. Sure... the ending is predictable. But once again I believe that is to be expected with romantic comedies as they are not about the ending... going in we expect the ending... it is about the journey of how they get to that point. Over-all looking at this movie I just find a fun story. I enjoyed both Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds in this one. Though I do think they wasted the talents of Betty White. They could have done a better job on her character. Though it was kinda funny seeing her dancing and chanting in the woods.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »

Title: Love Potion #9
Year: 1992
Director: Dale Launer
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Tate Donovan as Paul
Sandra Bullock as Diane
Mary Mara as Marisa
Dale Midkiff as Gary
Hillary Bailey Smith as Sally

Plot:
In this charming romantic comedy, a brilliant but lonely biochemist (Tate Donovan) gets a mysterious potion from a gypsy who guarantees it will turn his life around. After showing it to his co-worker (Sandra Bullock), a shy animal psychobiologist, they achieve amazing amorous results in a chimpanzee experiment. Now the only way to see if it works on humans is to test it on themselves.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
After that last movie I felt like watching another Sandra Bullock movie. And this is the only other one I have in my collection I never seen before. I found it to be a decent movie... though there really nothing special about this one. There was something about Tate Donovan I didn't care for... which makes it a little hard to enjoy something like this since you don't care for one of the main 2 of the movie. Other then that... the story even though fun... is a bit out there. I did like Sandra Bullock in it though.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
So is this a romantic comedy marathon...or a Sandra Bullock marathon?  ???

Same thing!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
 :laugh: Oh yeah... I could think of worse things then spending Valentine's Day weekend with Sandra Bullock!  :drooling:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

Title: 50 First Dates: Widescreen Special Edition
Year: 2004
Director: Peter Segal
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Henry Roth
Drew Barrymore as Lucy Whitmore
Rob Schneider as Ula
Sean Astin as Doug Whitmore
Lusia Strus as Alexa

Plot:
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore star together for the first time since The Wedding Singer in one of the funniest romantic comedies in years.

Henry Roth (Sandler) lives an enviable life in a Hawaiian paradise, spending every night with a beautiful tourist in search of an island fling. It's a sweet life with no strings attached...until he meets Lucy (Barrymore). He and Lucy hit it off from the get-go, but the next day she acts like she doesn't know him. Has his karma come around to kick him in the butt or what? Actually, Lucy has short-term memory loss, so every night all memory of her day is erased. But a man in love will go to any lengths to win over the girl of his dreams, and if that means having to find imaginative ways of doing it over again every day, then Henry's up for the challenge.

Rob Schneider (Big Daddy) and Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) co-star in 50 FIRST DATES, which will win you over every time you watch it!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I know of a lot of people that dislike Adam Sandler... but I personally have always enjoyed his movies. I also have enjoyed Drew Barrymore in most the stuff I have seen her in... so when I saw this one in the bargain bin of the local Wal-mart I was pretty quick to grab it. I know I have seen this one once before when it was first released... but really don't remember much about it. But I was pretty sure it was one I enjoyed. After watching it today I realized yes I did enjoy this movie... Very much so... even more then I remembered! It is definitely a more mature comedy then a lot of other Adam Sandler movies. Drew Barrymore was great as the cute and sweet girl next door with no short term memory. I also loved how they ended this movie. They opted to make it more realistic instead of trying to pull off some sort of miracle cure for Lucy. Was there anything I didn't like about this movie? Sure... there is the walrus vomit joke which would have fit in many Sandler movies... but just didn't belong in this one... then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice. And lastly I didn't care much for Lucy's brother. But all that is really minor... and didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie much... if at all. I would say even if you do not usually enjoy Adam Sandler movies... give this one a chance... you may be surprised.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... but with some extra info so you can just switch the links for this one.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »
No! No! No! I will not change it  :voodoo:

Of course I will
But will you find the rest of my test message
This isn't that obvious in white
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:04:19 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
 :laugh: OK however you want to do it works for me.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
I was sure that you will miss it :laugh:
Select the text of my message :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »

Title: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Year: 2003
Director: Donald Petrie
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Kate Hudson as Andie
Matthew McConaughey as Ben
Kathryn Hahn as Michelle
Annie Parisse as Jeannie
Adam Goldberg as Tony

Plot:
Oscar® nominee Kate Hudson (Almost Famous) and Matthew McConaughey (A Time to Kill) give the battle of the sexes an outrageously unexpected twist in the runaway comedy hit the Daily News applauds as "Hilarious!"

As the "How to..." columnist for trendy Composure Magazine, Andie Anderson (Hudson) agrees to write a first-hand account about what it takes to drive a man out of your life...in exactly 10 days. At the same time, eligible ad agency bachelor Benjamin Barry (McConaughey) accepts a high-stakes bet that he can lure any woman into falling head-over-heels in love with him...also in 10 days. The resulting romantic head-on collision ignites a series of deliriously comic deceptions that prove when it comes to true love...your heart cannot tell a lie. From the director of Miss Congeniality, it's the year's most wildly entertaining romantic romp, in the comedy smash David Sheehan of CBS-TV hails as "The ultimate chick-flick for guys!"

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is my second time watching this movie  since a good friend gave it to me a couple years ago. This is a really fun movie with lots of laughs. I enjoyed the whole storyline. Except maybe for the terrible singing towards the end of the movie. Anyone that enjoys a good Romantic Comedy should be sure to check this one out!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »

Title: While You Were Sleeping
Year: 1995
Director: Jon Turteltaub
Rating: PG
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Lucy
Bill Pullman as Jack
Peter Gallagher as Peter
Peter Boyle as Ox
Jack Warden as Saul

Plot:
You'll fall in love with While You Were Sleeping, the hit romantic comedy that woke everyone up to adorable Sandra Bullock (Speed, A Time To Kill). As Lucy, a lonely subway worker, she becomes smitten with a handsome stranger (Peter Gallagher – Malice). But when she saves his life after he's been mugged and fallen into a coma, his hilariously offbeat family mistakes her for his fiancée! Soon the mix-ups escalate as Lucy fabricates a life between herself and a man she's never met! And when Lucy falls for his charming brother (Bill Pullman – Independence Day), the situation really gets uproarious – as she's forced to make a choice between the two!

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I bought this one a whole back ago solely to add to my Sandra Bullock collection. I must say it is one of my favorites... One of the best romantic comedy roles I have seen her in. I enjoyed every minute of it. Bill Pullman was good in this movie as well. Not to mention it was a lot of fun watching Peter Boyle also. I definitely recommend this movie. Unfortunately the only extra on this release is some trailers. But at least it does have the Theatrical trailer (a pet peeve of mine).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »

Title: Imagine Me & You
Year: 2005
Director: Ol Parker
Rating: R
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Piper Perabo as Rachel
Lena Headey as Luce
Matthew Goode as Heck
Celia Imrie as Tessa
Anthony Head as Ned

Plot:
Piper Perabo lights up the screen as Rachel, a blushing bride whose perfect nuptials take a surprising turn at the altar: An innocent glance between Rachel and an unexpected wedding guest is all it takes to spark a love-at-first-sight romance with a surprising twist - the object of Rachel's affection is a smart and sensuous...woman! Their shocking romance causes quite a stir amongst her family and friends as Rachel is forced to choose between her husband and the girl of her dreams. Say "I do" to the wonderfully witty film that Cosmopolitan calls "a refreshing romantic comedy!"

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I just recently bought off the recommendation of our good friend Tom. And I must thank him for this recommendation. I really enjoyed this movie. It didn't really have any laugh out loud moments. But it did have a great story. To me... this was a different kind of romantic comedy... as I haven't seen many at all about lesbian relationships. I thought the whole cast did a fine job... though it was a little weird to see Anthony Head as someone other then Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Anyway... I definitely recommend this movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Glad you liked it :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »

Title: You've Got Mail
Year: 1998
Director: Nora Ephron
Rating: PG
Length: 119 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Tom Hanks as Joe Fox
Meg Ryan as Kathleen Kelly
Greg Kinnear as Frank Navasky
Parker Posey as Patricia Eden
Heather Burns as Christina

Plot:
You've Got Mail delivers all the wit, charm and warmth you'd expect from a reunion of the stars (Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan) and director (Nora Ephron) of Sleepless In Seattle. Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton and more talented co-stars add perfect support to this valentine to modern – to modem – romance in which superstore book chain magnate Hanks and cozy children's bookshop owner Ryan are anonymous email cyberpals who fall head-over-laptops in love, unaware they are combative business rivals. You've got rare Hollywood magic when You've Got Mail.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I haven't watched in quite some time. According to DVD Profiler I haven't watched it in 7 years. This is one that I enjoyed quite a bit. I think both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan did a great job in this movie. I also got a kick out of seeing Jean Stapleton in something other then All in the Family. The story, while enjoyable, isn't a "ha-ha" type funny. More of a lighthearted look at a budding romance coming from the last place you would expect (for the character that is).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete