Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 15480 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Anything Goes
For this weekend's Movie Marathon I thought I would basically go with no theme what so ever. Pretty much anything goes. If I feel like watching it I can. No matter the genre, who cares who is in it and whether it is on DVD, On Demand or regular cable TV. I figured this weekend I wanted my options wide open.

So watch here to see what I decide to watch this weekend!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 04:25:59 PM »

Title: Above the Law
Year: 1988
Director: Andrew Davis
Rating: R
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Steven Seagal
Pam Grier
Henry Silva
Ron Dean
Daniel Faraldo

Plot:
Chicago cop Nico Toscani (Steven Seagal) is on to something big. Suspects collared in a drug raid are allowed to walk. And Nico himself is asked to turn in his badge. He may be off the force — but not out of the action.

Steven Seagal makes his sensational screen debut as Nico in Above the Law, smashing his way into the top ranks of action stars as he tracks ex-CIA operatives trafficking drugs...and plotting a political assassination.

Director Andrew Davis (The Fugitive) unleashes the fury all over the Windy City as Nico and partner Jax (Pam Grier) close in on a psychotic crimelord (Henry Silva). Seagal is "a one-man lethal weapon" (Pat Collins, WWOR-TV).

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I got out of my mother's DVD collection. She was a huge fan of Martial Arts movies. She never understood technology at all.. and she was terrible with names. So whenever she wanted to watch a Steven Seagal movie she would ask me to put in a movie for her... that she wanted to watch "the guy with the pony tail".  :laugh:

While not bad... this movie isn't as good as I remembered it to be. I found this one to be a bit predictable. Not to mention Seagal wasn't the best actor in the world. Sure he could kick some ass... but it seems at least from this movie he could do little else.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »

Title: Rocky Balboa
Year: 2006
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Rating: PG
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Burt Young
Antonio Tarver
Geraldine Hughes
Milo Ventimiglia

Plot:
When he loses a highly publicized virtual boxing match to ex-champ ROCKY BALBOA (Sylvester Stallone), reigning heavyweight titleholder Mason Dixon (Antonio Tarver) retaliates by challenging the Italian Stallion to a nationally televised, 10-round exhibition bout. To the surprise of his son (Milo Ventimiglia, TV's "Heroes") and friends, Rocky agrees to come out of retirement and face an opponent who's faster, stronger and thirty years his junior. With the odds stacked firmly against him, Rocky takes on Dixon in what will become the greatest fight in boxing history, a hard-hitting, action-packed battle of the ages!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed every one of the previous Rocky movies (sure some were better then others... but liked them all)... but really can't compare this one to them as I haven't seen any of them in many years. What I can say is that I did enjoy it a lot! Sure... it is unbelievable. But that just didn't matter while watching the movie. It reminded me quite a bit of the first Rocky movie. I think it is a hell of a way to end the franchise.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE: Jimmy... I already have a review up for this. So don't need to add it again. This one does have a little more info if you want to replace the old one with this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »

Title: Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
Year: 1987
Director: Bruce Pittman
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Michael Ironside
Wendy Lyon
Justin Louis
Lisa Schrage
Richard Monette

Plot:
In 1957, Hamilton High School's prom queen got flambéed. Now she's back and she's burning mad!

It's been 30 years since bad girl Mary Lou Maloney (Lisa Schrage) was accidentally torched by her ex-boyfriend Bill Nordham (Michael Ironside) just before she was about to be crowned prom queen. Bill is now Hamilton High's principal and his son, Craig (Justin Louis) is dating this year's hopeful queen, good girl Vicki Carpenter (Wendy Lyon). When Vicki finds an old dress perfect for the prom – trouble begins. Mary Lou's spirit possesses Vicki's body and a torrent of fury is unleashed on everyone in town. With or without a tiara, Mary Lou is going to make prom night hot!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
It has been many years since I seen this movie. Not since the late '80s or early '90s. So I really remembered nothing about the movie itself, I only remembered that I liked this one more then Prom Night. While this is not what I would call a great movie... i do believe it is better then the first part.I actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Unfortunately the DVD is lacking a bit when it comes to extras... as there isn't any at all. Not even a trailer!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
This one does have a little more info if you want to replace the old one with this one.
Done ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
Thanks Jimmy :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

Title: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: Widescreen
Year: 2008
Director: Rob Cohen
Rating: PG-13
Length: 112 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Brendan Fraser
Jet Li
Maria Bello
John Hannah
Michelle Yeoh

Plot:
Brendan Fraser and Jet Li star in the action-packed adventure The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor ! When a 2,000-year-old curse is broken, a ruthless dragon emperor (Li) comes back to life with a diabolical plan to enslave the world. Mankind's only hope against him and his legions of undead warriors lie with the courageous O'Connell family, who chase him from the dangerous catacombs of China, to the icy Himalayas and beyond. Featuring intense battle sequences, breathtaking visual effects and extraordinary creatures, it's a thrilling journey that Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times calls "the best in the series!"

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
While this movie had it's moments. This movie let me down a bit compared to the previous two. Sure some of the CGI looked right good. But it just didn't feel the same. First I wish they didn't have to replace the actress that played Evelyn. I also had a bit of a problem with all that this mummy could do. All these extra powers took away from it for me. Also while they did give me a laugh or two (kicking field goal with a soldier) I really didn't care for the addition of the yetis. So in short I liked the action and I liked the effects... but I didn't care much for the rest of it. I got this movie during an Amazon Lightning Sale for only $2.00... so definitely worth what I paid. Though I probably would have been disappointed if I bought this when it first came out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »

Title: Isle of the Dead
Year: 1945
Director: Mark Robson
Rating: NR
Length: 71 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono,

Stars:
Boris Karloff
Ellen Drew
Marc Cramer
Katherine Emery
Helene Thimig

Plot:
Boris Karloff shares a quarantined house with other strangers on a plague-infested - perhaps spirit-haunted Isle of the Dead.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Another Val Lewton movie that I enjoyed. Not as much as a few others in the set. But I did like it. I liked Karloff in this movie.  I also liked the superstitious old lady. Her thinking one of the guests is a vampire (or similar to one) was pretty interesting. Of course there is also the whole plague thing. I really can't put my finger on it... but for the most part of the movie the atmosphere is just off. It just didn't seem to be there at least not as good as the previous movies I watched in this set. But I can say this movie has a pretty strong ending.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »

Title: Bedlam
Year: 1946
Director: Mark Robson
Rating: NR
Length: 79 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Boris Karloff
Anna Lee
Billy House
Richard Fraser
Glenn Vernon

Plot:
St. Mary's of Bethlehem Asylum in 1761 London is the setting for Bedlam. Karloff gives an uncanny performance as the doomed overseer who fawns on high-society benefactors while ruling the mentally disturbed inmates with an iron fist.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have now watched all the movies in the Val Lewton Horror Collection (except for the 2 documentaries which I am not in much of a hurry to watch). I usually have a bit of a problem with many period pieces. And I must admit the period this movie is set in did set me off a bit. I really had a hard time keeping my attention on this movie. By the time I got half way into the movie I felt that this is the first movie in this collection I really don't care for. Sure it had a decent scene or two but not much more then that. Then I got to about the last 20 to 30 minutes of the movie. Here it picked up some more for me. It somewhat kept my interest at this point. But still this movie turned out to be my least favorite of the set.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
Yes, definitely a film of two halves. I really struggled with the first bit. I liked it once she was stuck with the other patients and it seemed to be a surprisingly accurate depiction of Florence Nightingale of all people! And then the proper horror ending. I really liked the ending!

Glad you enjoyed this set though, Pete.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation... over-all well worth the time and the money. Can't ask for anything more then that!  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

Title: Deliverance
Year: 1972
Director: John Boorman
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Jon Voight
Burt Reynolds
Ned Beatty
Ronny Cox
Ed Ramey

Plot:
Four ordinary men in two canoes navigate a river they only know as a line on a map, taking on a wilderness they only think they understand.

Deliverance, based by James Dickey on his novel, surges with the urgency of masterful storytelling, like Georgia's Chattooga River along which it was shot. Equally masterful is the portrayal of each man's change of character under stress, harrowingly enacted by award winners Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox. Director John Boorman (Excalibur, The General) sets us on the knife-edge of survival – and draws us in with the irresistible force of a raging current.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that was recommended to me by several people over the years... but I never got the chance to pick it up. Then one day I got a package from a friend (Thanks Achim!) and there it was! And then it still took me quite a while to watch it.  :bag:  While I have heard a lot of great things about this movie I tried not to go into it with high expectations... as that has ruined more then one movie on me in the past.

Watching this movie one word kept popping up in my mind... it says it all... that one word is WOW! This is really a powerful movie. A movie made in 1972... but you don't feel that age when watching it.  The only way I could really guess the age of this movie is by how young the main actors are. If these people were little known actors I wouldn't have guessed that this movie is a good 38 year old movie. So do not let the age of this movie stop you from checking it out! This movie has both man vs. nature as well as man vs man with the backwoods hillbillies that they have to face. I tell you... I am surprised at how much I enjoyed Deliverance. I mean I could almost watch this one again already! If that don't call for a full 5-star rating I don't know what does! Thanks again Achim!  :thumbup: And thank everyone (on all the sites I post this to) for the recommendation!  :thumbup:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
Well... Brittany done changed her mind about watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine today. She instead wants me to watch some episodes of The Spectacular Spider-Man. So I guess my movie marathon is now over. Even if every movie I watched this weekend wasn't Spectacular... I really enjoyed this weekend. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »
 :yahoo:

This was one we've been banging on about for some time, but could have easily fallen the other way, it's so enigmatic. Really pleased you liked it!

Rogmeister

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
Speaking of that Wolverine movie, it was one of 5 blu-ray movies my brother got for Christmas along with his blu-ray player.  The only one I know he's watched of the 5 is District 9 which he didn't care for so much.  I'll be curious to see what he thinks of the Wolverine movie.  I think his other blu-ray movies include Inglorious Bastards and a gangster movie starring Johnny Depp.  I forget what his fifth movie was.