Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2009  (Read 43597 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2009
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 03:05:09 AM »

Title: Laid to Rest Unrated Director's Cut
Movie Count:  16
TV Ep. Count:  6
Other Count:  2
Time Started:  7pm

Plot:
Bobbi Sue Luther (Night of the Demons 09), Kevin Gage (HEAT), Lena Headey (300,THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES), Johnathon Schaech (QUARANTINE) and Thomas Dekker (THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES) star in the slasher shocker that takes the 'killer-in-a-mask' movie and rips it a whole new future: A young woman (Luther) wakes up inside a locked casket with no memory of who she is or how she got there. But once she escapes, The Girl will quickly learn that she – and everyone she comes in contact wtih – is being pursued by ChromeSkull, an unstoppable maniac armed with a metal skull mask, a shoulder-mounted video camera, and a ferocious appetite for slaugher. Sean Whalen (MEN IN BLACK), Lucas Till (HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE) and Richard Lynch (ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN) co-star in this unflinching vision of graphic carnage from writer/director/FX master Robert Hall, featuring music by Suicidal Tendencies.

My Thoughts:
OK... what to say about this movie. It is one I got off of Walmart's Halloween display the other day. It was a complete blind buy... I never even seen the trailer before buying this movie. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. The killer wore a skull mask that was made of chrome. It looked pretty cool! There was a familiar face in this movie. Lena Headey (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) is in this one. Laid to Rest is pretty heavy on the gore. So if you do not like gory movies I suggest staying away from this one. There is a nice selection of extras on this disc as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:17 AM »

Title: 100 Years of Horror: The Complete Collection
Movie Count:  16
Other Count:  4
Time Started:  9:15pm

Plot:
This frightfully fascinating five-DVD set chronicles the history of movie horror from earliest experimental chillers through the unforgettable "golden age of movie monsters" and on through today's graphic horror films in 26 horrific, half-hour shows. Hosted by Christopher Lee, the screen's legendary King of Horror, the series features appearances by Robert De Niro, Jamie Lee Curtis, Hugh Hefner, Charlton Heston, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Dante, and many more.

Also featured are rare interviews with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Claude Rains. Included as a special bonus are never-before-seen interviews with the friends and families of the legendary names of horror such as Bela Lugosi, Jr.; Boris Karloff's daughter, Sarah Karloff; Claude Rains' daughter, Jessica Rains, and more.

The collection also includes chilling scenes from such classics as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well as more recent chillers such as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Halloween, Poltergeist and The Haunting. Plus home movies from the sets of horror classics, outtakes, screen tests, previously "lost" films, and other exciting surprises. Easily the most interesting and informative horror chronology ever assembled.

FRANKENSTEIN'S FRIENDS
KArloff's career was defined by his sympathetic portrayal of "the monster," but others took on thjis challenging roll over the years. This fascinating installment tells the story behind Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly's timeless tale.

BARON FRANKENSTEIN
Hammer Films "reanimated" the Frankenstein franchise in the 1950s with it's terrifying team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee as doctor and "patient." Take a look at how this classic story changedin the '50s, '60s - and beyond.

My Thoughts:
Both these short documentaries were very interesting. There was a few movies that looked like fun mentioned. Though I couldn't believe some of the things they put the name Frankenstein on! Christopher Lee did a great job hosting this one. And I was even surprised to see Hugh Hefner on here talking about horror movies.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 05:21:16 AM »
Though I couldn't believe some of the things they put the name Frankenstein on!
I'm almost positive (haven't watch this set from a long time) that one of those Frankenstein is Frankenhooker ;D

Seriously Pete if you don't own it get it fast :whistle:
This is a great horror-comedy directed by Frank Henenlotter who had also made the Basket Case Trilogy and Brain Damage. I can't recommand enough any of his film ;D

The DVD is oop but the prices at marketplace are reasonable
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:34:54 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 12:00:34 PM »
 :laugh: I think I might have seen that on VHS back in the days I was managing the video store.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Title: Fright Night
Movie Count:  17
Time Started:  12pm

Plot:
Meet Jerry Dandridge. He's sweet, sexy, and he likes to sleep in late. You might think he's the perfect neighbor. But before inviting Jerry in for a nightcap, there's just one thing you should know. Jerry prefers his drinks warm, red -- and straight from the jugular! It's FRIGHT NIGHT, a horrific howl starring Chris Sarandon as the seductive vampire and William Ragsdale as the frantic teenager struggling to keep Jerry's deadly fangs out of his neck. Only 17-year-old Charley Brewster (Ragsdale) knows Jerry's bloodcurdling secret. When Charley can't get anybody to believe him, he turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who used to be the "Great Vampire Killer" of the movies. Can these mortals save Charley and his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from the wrathful bloodsucker's toothy embrace? If you love being scared, FRIGHT NIGHT will give you the nightmare of your life!

My Thoughts:
Time to fall back on one of my favorites. No it is not the scariest Vampire movie out there... but for some reason I think it is a lot of fun... and I never tire of it. Of course the fact that Roddy McDowall is in it is a help. Also Amanda Bearse (the neighbor in Married... With Children) is in it as well... looking rather young which is surprising since the movie is only 2 years older then the series is. I think Chris Sarandon did a good job at bringing the classic idea of the vampire to this movie. but at the same time thought Stephen Geoffreys (Evil Ed) did a great job for a fun vampire that gave us a few laughs. I must admit though... I have always been disappointed in Amanda Bearse's look as a vampire... first I didn't care for her with that long red wig on... then I despised the look of the "Monster" version of her Vampire. Oh well... the way I see it is if that is all I have to complain about... then so what... I will enjoy this movie for years to come.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Note: Jimmy... no need to add this one to the list... is a recycled review.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »

Title: The Body Snatcher
Movie Count:  18
Time Started:  6am

Plot:
Boris Karloff plays the title role in the Lewton adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Body Snatcher, directed with subtle calculation by versatile Robert Wise. A doctor (Henry Daniell) needs cadavers for medical studies and Karloff is willing to provide them - one way or another. Don't miss his scene with fellow horror icon Bela Lugosi.

My Thoughts:
This is my very first taste of Val Lewton. I normally liked to go into a new movie with low expectations... but I admit I went into this one a little hyped. But that is ok... I absolutely loved every minute of it. Sure it moves a little slower then the movies I am used to... but I believe that is to be expected with the classics. Besides... the story was so good... so interesting that even the slow parts had you glued to the set. I so enjoyed watching both horror legends in this movie... Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi both gave great performances. Every scene with the two of them together was great... but especially one scene in particular. The scene where Joseph (Lugosi) finally had enough of John Grey (Karloff)... and decided it was time to settle things. I really enjoyed everything about this movie... from the beginning to the well written (although somewhat predictable) ending. This is one true classic I highly recommend!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

On a side note to the review.... I just want to say Thank You Jon for recommending this one to me!  :cheers:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »
 :laugh: No problem! Really pleased you enjoyed and hopefully a few more people will dive in too.

(click to show/hide)

One word of warning though, that the majority of the films in the set are more thrillers than full-on gothic horror like this, so don't go into the others expecting the same style. I'm sure you'll enjoy them though...  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »
This is probably obvious... but I don't know where I will be going with my marathon this year. As of right now it is slowed down to a stall... maybe even over with unfortunately. At least today I just don't have it in me.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »

Title: The Return of the Living Dead: Collector's Edition
Movie Count:  19
Time Started:  4pm

Plot:
Just when you though it was safe to go back to the cemetery - those brain eating zombies are back and hungry for more tasty mortals. A fiendish mix of outrageous humor and heart-stopping terror. The Return of the Living Dead is a "veritable smorgasbord of fun" (LA Herald-Examiner) filled with skin-crawling jolts, eye-popping visuals and relentless suprise!

On his first day on the job at an army surplus store, poor Freddy unwittingly releases nerve gas from a secret U.S. military canister, unleashing a unbelievable terror. The gas re-animates a corps of corpses, who arise from their graves with a ravenous hunger for human brains! And luckily for those carnivorous cadavers, there is a group of partying teens nearby, just waiting to be eaten!

My Thoughts:
I picked this DVD up the other day. Wanted to upgrade to the Collector's Edition. This is a movie I have always enjoyed quite a bit. It has a nice mixture of horror and comedy that is just fun to watch. I really liked Linnea Quigley's character in this one. And thought it was a nice touch that they made it so her worse fear is realized in this movie. I decided to watch this with the easter egg subtitle track on. There is a zombie subtitle track where all you get is grrr's ugghhh's.. this is not the one I am talking about here. If you go to that zombie subtitle track... highlight "Off" and press up on your remote you will be on a hidden red brain. Press enter here and you get a note from the zombies saying they didn't like how they were portrayed in that subtitle track.... that they are not mindless like that. And you get the option of subtitles of the zombie's thoughts. This is the one I watched. And let me tell you... I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was more then once that I was literally laughing out loud reading these "Zombie Thoughts". I felt it really added to the movie. Of course it I wouldn't watch this movie with them on all the time... but I do see it as something I would want to do again.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
Press enter here and you get a note from the zombies saying they didn't like how they were portrayed in that subtitle track.... that they are not mindless like that. And you get the option of subtitles of the zombie's thoughts.
Just that give me the temptation to buy this one ;D
Even if I'm happy with the precedent released and they had changed some little things.
Maybe if I can find it cheap someday...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 12:12:58 AM »
I got it at Walmart for $7.50 :) I was lucky too... the first time I was there I thought it was just a re-release cover on the movie I already had. Then I found out differently from a friend. So I planned to grab it on my next trip. And when I did go again I was lucky... it was the last they had in stock!  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »

Title: Twilight
Movie Count:  20
Time Started:  6:45am

Plot:
Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) doesn’t expect much when she moves to the small town of Forks, Washington, until she meets the mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson)—a boy who’s hiding a dark secret: he’s a vampire. As their worlds and hearts collide, Edward must battle the bloodlust raging inside him as well as a coterie of undead that would make Bella their prey. Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling sensation by Stephenie Meyer, Twilight adds a dangerous twist to the classic story of star-crossed lovers.

My Thoughts:
When I got this DVD (a belated Birthday Gift) I heard a lot of people tell me this movie was terrible. It isn't even a horror movie... even though there are vampires. And so on. That made me to have to think about whether or not I wanted to add it to this marathon. But I decided to go ahead and add it since I have always considered this a horror/Halloween marathon. And I believe vampires whether in a horror setting or not fits in nicely with the Halloween theme. At least with all the bad reviews I got on this movie I am able to go into this one with very low expectations. And I figured that may help me to enjoy it more then most have.

I know that the vampire legend is one thing that the makers of the movies take a lot of creative licenses with. I have seen so many variations I couldn't begin to count them all. Even after watching this movie I am not sure how I feel about it. Some parts of it I felt were good. I really enjoyed the side story of the killings and the protection of Bella. Even though it is only slight... it put a horror aspect into the show for me. I absolutely hated the aspect of how they changed the effects of sunlight on vampires, though that did explain away how they could be out in the day time. I did kind of like the fact that there could be good and bad vampires... just like in the human race. I didn't care much for the narration of Bella's in portions of the movie. The idea of the narration wasn't bad.... but the flowery romance novel like writing of it put me off.

So going with all these conflicting feelings of this movie... I am having a hard time judging how I want to rate this one. How much of this movie was good in my eyes... and how much of it wasn't? In this case that is a tough question for me. I am not sorry this is in my collection... but I am also glad that it is not one I actually paid to put there. And is not one I see upgrading to the two disc version. It is however one I could see watching again... though not very often. And I can see myself seeing any sequel it spawns. What does this mean? I guess it means it is a fairly average movie so I should give it a fairly average rating. What is average on a scale of 1-5... I guess I should split it right down the middle.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

Title: R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly
Movie Count:  21
Time Started:  10am

Plot:
Max is hardly a typical 11-year-old: he loves magic, detests sports, and can't seem to say a single word to his crush, Traci, the most popular girl in school. But when he's the only one who can see the ghosts haunting his house, two young spirits make him the deal of a lifetime: he'll help them solve the mystery of their parents' disappearance and battle a wicked ghoul, if they'll help him go from being invisible to the most talked-about kid at school!

Featuring an all-star cast including Madison Pettis (The Game Plan), Ali Lohan (TV's Living Lohan), Luke Benward (How to Eat Fried Worms), Noah Cyrus (TV's Hannah Montana) and Sterling Beaumon (Four Christmases), it's one spooky mishap after another in this haunted adventure! Filled with thrills, chills and hilarious spills, R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly will have the whole family on the edge of their seats!

My Thoughts:
When I bought this for my daughter, Brittany the other day I promised her I would watch it with her this weekend. I found myself actually looking forward to it since I have enjoyed the other R.L. Stine stuff with her in the past. The first thing I noticed is that the look of the first ghost you see looks familiar. It took me a few... but then I realized he looked much like the Creep in the movie Creepshow 2 (the cartoon in between the segments). It is a cute movie with some nice chuckles in it. Definitely more for the kids then the adults. But it has some fun for all.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06:38 AM »

Title: Supernatural
Movie Count:  21
TV Ep. Count:  8
Time Started:  6:15pm

Plot:
Sympathy for the Devil
Sam, Dean & Bobby deal with the aftermath of the devil rising from Hell; Chuck has stunning news for the brothers.

Good God Y'all
In hopes of defeating Lucifer, Castiel decides to search for God; Bobby's friend, Rufus, begs for help when demons begin attacking his town

My Thoughts:
Sympathy for the Devil
Finally getting to watch the start of the new season. This is a pretty good episode. While I like the storyline with the devil... I am more ready to see them deal with some standard evil as well.

Good God Y'all
This episode I enjoyed a lot. The brother goes up against one of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse. And ends with a bit of a cliffhanger as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Sympathy for the Devil

Good God Y'all

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »

Title: Black Christmas: Special Edition
Movie Count:  22
TV Ep. Count:  8
Time Started:  7am

Plot:
The college town of Bedford is receiving an unwelcome guest this Christmas. As the residents of sorority house Pi Kappa Sig prepare for the festive season, a demonic stranger begins to stalk the house.

A series of grisly obscene phone-calls start to plague the residents of the sorority and soon they will each meet their fate at the hands of the psychotic intruder.

As the Police try to trace the phone calls, they discover that nothing is as it seems during this BLACK CHRISTMAS.

Starring Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder, Andrea Martin and John Saxon. Bob Clark's Black Christmas predates Halloween by 4 years and is now widely acknowledged as the inventor of the modern slasher film.

My Thoughts:
I been wanting to see this one for a long time now. I have always heard a lot of good things about this movie. Despite that... I tried to go into this movie with low expectations. And I enjoyed it very much. I found myself glued to my seat watching through-out the entire movie. It was pretty cool to see Margot Kidder in one of her earlier roles. And she happened to have my favorite kill in the movie. For those of you that don't like gore... there is no worries here. There is really no blood and gore. It is all left to the imagination. If you have never seen this movie... I highly recommend it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete