Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 466614 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
No mention of Dolph in Rocky IV?
Maybe you don't consider him a star...?
(Mind you, being a swede I'm slightly biased  :-[)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
My reviews are automatically generated from DVD Profiler... it takes the first 6 cast members from the profile. So all that means he wasn't in the first 6 member in the cast credits.

If you mean in My Thoughts... it just means I had no strong feelings for him... good or bad in the film.

He is mentioned in the overview though.
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 14, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
I love Dolph.  Can be quite ridged at times but overall quite fun.  And appears to know his limitations.

I just saw 'Command Performance' a couple of weeks ago and really like his performance.  I looked up several sites about him and was impressed with his 'bone fides' (is that right?) as they say.  Very good academic etc and turns out he played drums in a band so was a good fit for him.  Doing directing and producing .. pretty sweet.  Yep may be ridged like Keanu Reeves but fun most of the time.

Yeah swedes!!!
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
     West Side Story (1961/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Director:Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise (1914)
Writing:Arthur Laurents (Original Material By), Ernest Lehman (Writer), William Shakespeare (Original Material By)
Length:152 min.
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Natalie Wood (1938) as Maria
Richard Beymer as Tony
Russ Tamblyn as Riff
Rita Moreno as Anita
George Chakiris as Bernardo
Simon Oakland as Lieutenant Schrank

Plot:
This "brilliant" (The New Republic) film sets the ageless story of Romeo and Juliet against the backdrop of gang warfare in 1950s New York. Directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins and scripted by Ernest Lehman, the film combines Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim's unforgettable score ("Maria", "America", "Somewehre", "Tonight") with Robbins' own exuberant choreography to achieve an exhilarating "work of art" (Saturday Review).

A love affair is fated for tragedy amidst the vicious rivalry of two street gangs – the Jets and the Sharks. When Jets member Tony (Richard Beymer) falls for Maria (Natalie Wood), the sister of the Sharks leader, it's more than these two warring gangs can handle. And as mounting tensions rise, a battle to the death ensues and innocent blood is shed in a heartbreaking finale.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This morning my brother asked me if I wanted to watch West Side Story today. I said "want" is a bit strong of a word... but I will watch it with him. Then I realize it is a 2 and a half hour musical... Oh the torture! While I liked the storyline itself... there is just way to much singing and dancing in this one for my taste. I am sorry but I just can't feel that street gangs that go down the street singing and dancing as being tough guys to be afraid of. In this case I felt that the musical aspects really took away from the film. I would say this would have been an excellent film without the musical aspects. i did like Natalie Wood here... she was very beautiful. I realize this one the Academy Award for Best Picture... but this is one time I didn't care that much for the winner. I know that this probably won't be my most popular review here. That many people will disagree with me. I will say if musicals is your thing (they are definitely not mine)... you will most likely enjoy every minute of this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
[I am sorry but I just can't feel that street gangs that go down the street singing and dancing as being tough guys to be afraid of.
Imagine in real life if everybody would coming to you singing and dancing... I'm sure you would be scared :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
 :laugh: Well, yeah.. maybe. But not in the same sense.  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2013, 04:18:01 AM »
 :laugh:

It isn't one of my favorites either..I've seen it once and I won't watch it again.  Not for the singing.  I just have....other issues.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
My reviews are automatically generated from DVD Profiler... it takes the first 6 cast members from the profile. So all that means he wasn't in the first 6 member in the cast credits.
Ah, that explains it. I just thought it looked funny that he wasn't among the six listed. But I can understand if it's the six first listed (in credited order) because Dolph was virtually unknown at the time. I like Dolph. He's a really smart guy. Maybe not Oscar material as an actor, but still quite talented. And fun to watch.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I have Dolph in 14 movies!?! I guess I like him too!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
Watched On: 3/1/2013

Zapped! (1982/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
MGM Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Robert J. Rosenthal
Writing:Bruce Rubin (Writer), Robert J. Rosenthal (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Scott Baio as Barney Springboro
Willie Aames as Peyton
Robert Mandan as Walter Johnson
Felice Schachter as Bernadette
Scatman Crothers as Dexter Jones
Roger Bowen as Mr. Springboro

Plot:
Scott Baio has his mind on science – and his eye on the girls – as Emerson High School whiz kid with a little something extra, in this hilariously high-flying farce, costarring Willie Aames and Heather Thomas!

When nerdy genius Barney Springboro's (Baio) experiments in "higher" horticulture blow up in his face, he's suddenly left with newfound powers of telekinesis! Now, his best pal Peyton (Aames) wants Barney idolized, a persisent newspaper reporter wants him publicized and his parents want him exorcised! All Barney wants is to finish his research – and get himself a date for the big dance. But when he gets Carrie-d away at the senior prom, pure chaos breaks loose – and everyone's clothing along with it!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that I haven't seen in many years. I last seen this when I was between 13 and 14 years old. That is... Wow... 30 years! But for some reason this film stuck with me through-out all those years... I remember enjoying it so much way back then. Going into it today I was a little worried on how well it would hold up. Ater watching it I found that while it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it being... it is still a fun watch. Worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Since I am now posting from the library... I added a date watched above my review.  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Watched On: 3/2/2013

Monster Makers (2003/United States)
IMDb |
GoodTimes Entertainment
Director:David S. Cass, Sr.
Writing:Marc Hershon (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Linda Blair as Shelley Stoker
Adam Baldwin as Jay Forrest
George Kennedy as Dexter Brisbane
David Henrie as Danny Burke
Ashley Edner as Tina Corman
Brian Klugman as Brent Corman

Plot:
ACADEMY AWARD® nominee Linda Blair (The Exorcist) and Adam Baldwin (The X-files, Firefly) star in an affectionate tribute to the beloved science fiction films of the '50s. An OSCAR® winner for Cool Hand Luke, George Kennedy is Dexter Brisbane, an aging filmmaker whose Monsters on the Loose unexpectedly unleashed genuine ghouls in 1951. Shelley Stoker (Blair) is hired as his nurse, and when her son, Tim (Tim McCallum), finds the long-suppressed movie, his Halloween private screening releases this "trio of terror." Baldwin is the sheriff who also emerges from the film to battle Revenant, a "living ghost" who can possess anybody; Vermin, a were-rat; and Manikin, the walking plaster dummy who is searching for new body parts.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones I got from the library. It is a made for TV movie that originally aired on the Hallmark Channel. But this is my first time seeing it. This one I found to be very cheesy. But even with that fact Brittany and I was able to enjoy it. It is worth the time put in to watch it... just don't expect too much from it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 09, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
Watched On: 3/8/2013

The Canterville Ghost (1996/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Vivendi Entertainment
Director:Syd Macartney
Writing:Robert Benedetti (Screenwriter), Oscar Wilde (Original Material By)
Length:92 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Patrick Stewart (1940) as Sir Simon de Canterville
Neve Campbell as Virginia Otis
Joan Sims as Mrs. Umney
Donald Sinden as Mr. Umney
Cherie Lunghi as Lucille Otis
Edward Wiley as Hiram Otis

Plot:
Neve Campbell (Scream 4) and Primetime Emmy® Nominee* SirPatrick Stewert (Hamlet) star in this fun and contemporary retelling of Oscar Wilde's famous tale. When 16-year-old Virginia (Campbell) moves to the English countryside with her parents, all she wants to do is move back to America. But everthing changes when she and her two younger brothers realize that the ancient mansion that they call home is haunted by Sir Simon (Stewart), a 400-year-old spirit doomed to haunt the castle forever... unless a "golden girl" can travel to the Other World and plead his case. Get ready for The Canterville Ghost: a creepy good time that the whole family will enjoy!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a film I borrowed from the library. I have seen the original... but this is the first time I ever seen this version. This first thing that I noticed when I picked this one up off the shelf is that it stars Patrick Stewart and Neve Campbell... two I am very familiar with and always enjoyed. I found this film to be a little on the slow side... but enjoyable. I think it took a little longer then it should have to set up the story. But even with all that said I found I still enjoyed the film. I can see myself adding this one to my collection eventually.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 09, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
Watched On: 3/5/2013

Curse of the Komodo (2003/)
Trailer |IMDb |
Director:Jim Wynorski
Writing:Steve Latshaw (Original Material By)
Length:91 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Tim Abell as Jack
Melissa Brasselle as Tiffany
William Langlois as Phipps
Gail Harris as Dawn
Paul Logan as Drake
Glori-Anne Gilbert as Rebecca

Plot:
In an experiment gone wrong, genetically-engineered Komodo dragons have become monstrous creatures hunting humans on a remote tropical island and destroying everything in their path. Now it's up to a small group of scientists to stop the Komodos before they escape and devastate the rest of the world.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a film that was given to me a few years ago in a box full of free DVDs. It is pretty good for a low-budget horror... though I definitely seen better. There wasn't any really familiar names to me in this one. Usually I know at least one or two of the cast members... but not this time. Over-all I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it... just don't expect too much.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 09, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
Watched On: 3/5/2013

Dark Reel (2008/United States)

North American Motion Pictures
Director:Josh Eisenstadt
Writing:Aaron Pope (Writer), Josh Eisenstadt (Story By)
Length:109 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Daniel Wisler as Tall Man
Alexandra Holden as Scarlett May
Kevin Ryder as Mr. Humphrey
Edward Furlong as Adam Waltz
Tiffany Shepis as Cassie Blue
Dragon Dronet as Gnome Killer

Plot:
Adam Waltz (Edward Furlong) is in a blood drenched horror film produced by Connor Pritchett (Lance Henriksen). Detective Shields (Tony Todd) tries to unravel the mystery of real murders before the ghost of Scarlett May can strike again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:
I got this one 4 years ago in a bulk package of used DVDs at a local store. I paid a mere 88 cents each for the films that were bulked packaged together. It is one I never seen before but I thougght looked interesting from the trailer. It has a couple familiar faces in it. Lance Henriksen is in this one... who is a very good genre actor. I been a fan for years. Then there is Mercedes McNab who played Harmony in Buffy the Vamprie Slayer and Angel. And then finally there was Tony Todd... who is another great genre actor... I found I have always enjoyed his work. At about 30 minutes into the movie I started to worry... as I was javing difficulty getting into the movie... some reason I was expecting more. An hour in and while I felt it improved a little... I still wasn't all that impressed. I found the storyline just couldn't keep my attention. The effects was no more then fair. This is one I unfortunately just can't recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete