Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467445 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #375 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
     Wanderlust (2012/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:David Wain
Writing:Ken Marino (Writer), David Wain (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Paul Rudd as George
Jennifer Aniston as Linda
Justin Theroux as Seth
Alan Alda as Carvin
Malin Akerman as Eva
Ken Marino as Rick

Plot:
Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston star in this laugh-out-loud comedy about leaving it all behind. After George (Rudd) loses his high-stress Manhattan job, he and his wife, Linda (Aniston), hit the road and wind up crashing at Elysium, a free-spirited community of hippies, tree-huggers and the occasional nudist. Featuring an all-star ensemble cast including Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman and Alan Alda, Wanderlust has "more laughs than I've had at the movies in a very long time." (Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I mostly wanted to see this one for the fact that Jennifer Aniston is in it. As I been a fan of hers since first seeing Friends. I have been curios about this film since the first time I saw the trailer. While I found this one to be some fun entertainment... it wasn't as good as I was hoping. I mean it wasn't bad... just nothing special. I basically found it to be an average comedy... worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 05, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
     Hollywoodland: Spotlight Series (2006/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Allen Coulter
Writing:Paul Bernbaum (Writer)
Length:126 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Ted Atherton as Detective Doug Johnson
Robin Tunney as Leonore Lemmon
David J. MacNeil as Officer Daniel Korby
Dash Mihok as Sergeant Jack Paterson
Kevin Hare as Robert Condon
Kathleen Robertson as Carol Van Ronkel

Plot:
Based on the true story of Hollywood's most notorious unsolved mystery, Hollywoodland is a tale of glamour, scandal, and corruption in 1950s Los Angeles. When George Reeves (Ben Affleck), star of TV's Adventures of Superman, is found dead in his home, millions of fans are shocked by the circumstances of his death. The police and the studio bosses want the case closed as a suicide, but rumors linger. Louis Simo (Adrien Brody), a private investigator, picks up the trail and begins to piece together the actor's last, tension-filled days. Who pulled the trigger? Was it the seductive yet scheming fiancée, the spurned lover (Diane Lane), the enraged husband (Bob Hoskins), or was it Reeves himself?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
In honor of George Reeves' birthday today (Jan. 5th)... I thought that I would check this movie out. I been wanting to see it for quite a while now. Over-all I enjoyed this one. But it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. It could be because I went into this one with somewhat high expectations. But I found it to run a little slow for my taste, and they made use of flashbacks... which is right for the story they were telling... but I personally always preferred a straight story without flashbacks.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
     Hope Floats (1998/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Forest Whitaker
Writing:Steven Rogers (Writer)
Length:114 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Birdee Pruitt
Harry Connick, Jr. as Justin Matisse
Gena Rowlands as Ramona Calvert
Mae Whitman as Bernice Pruitt
Michael Paré as Bill Pruitt
Cameron Finley as Travis

Plot:
Sandra Bullock gives her most critically acclaimed performance in this touching and heartwarming story about following your heart and finding yourself. Birdee Pruitt (Bullock) has a life most people would envy. But when her cheating husband reveals his infidelity to her on a national TV talk show, her perfect life comes crashing down. Devastated, Birdee and her young daughter head home to the small town she left behind. As mother and daughter struggle to adjust to their new lives, Birdee slowly gains the strength to open her heart – and find hope again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Most here already know I am a big fan of Sandra Bullock so I been looking forward to watching this one since a friend gave me this one last month. This is another one I found that I liked... but it wasn't as good as I was hoping. I seem to be cursed with that this weekend. This film has it's fun moments... but at the same time I did struggle a little to keep my attention focused on the film.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 25, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
     MIB³: Men in Black 3 (2012/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Barry Sonnenfeld
Writing:Etan Cohen (Writer), Lowell Cunningham (Original Characters By)
Length:104 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Will Smith as Agent J
Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K
Josh Brolin as Young Agent K
Jemaine Clement as Boris the Animal
Emma Thompson as Agent O
Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin

Plot:
In Men in Black™ 3, Agents J (Will Smith) and K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back... in time. J has seen some inexplicable things in his 15 years with the Men in Black, but nothing, not even aliens, perplexes him as much as his wry, reticent partner. But when K's life and the fate of the planet are put at stake, Agent J will have to travel back in time to put things right. J discovers that there are secrets to the universe that K never told him — secrets that will reveal themselves as he teams up with the young Agent K (Josh Brolin) to save his partner, the agency, and the future of humankind.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Last night Brittany wanted to watch a blu-ray with me. So we picked this one. We both enjoyed this one quite a bit. I really liked the time travel aspect in this story... as it gave us a good look at a young Agent K. There is also plenty of laughs in this one as well. I was sorry to see that Rip Torn did not return for the third movie. I liked him in the first two... and while Emma Thompson was fine as the new head of MIB... I preferred Rip Ton's character. I definitely recommend this one.. especially if you liked the first two.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
     Phantasm (1979/United States)
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Don Coscarelli
Writing:Don Coscarelli (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
A. Michael Baldwin [Michael Baldwin] as Mike
Bill Thornbury as Jody
Reggie Bannister as Reggie
Kathy Lester as Lady in Lavender
Terrie Kalbus as Fortuneteller's Granddaughter
Ken Jones as Caretaker

Plot:
When two brothers uncover the startling secret of the living dead following the murder of their friend, what seems like a horrible unending nightmare becomes terrifying reality!

A mortuary's embalming cellar is the site for supernatural evil - including a floating sphere with razor-sharp protruding daggers which seeks out victims and drains the blood from their heads.

As the brothers learn more and more about what is really going on at Morningside Mortuary, they get deeper into trouble... until it may be too late to escape!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Introduction by Angus Scrimm

My Thoughts:
This is the first movie from the region 2 set that was recently given to me. This set contains all 4 movies plus a 5th extras disc. It has been a good couple years since I watched this movie... so I am glad I had a reason to watch it again. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Angus Scrimm did a good job being the Tall Man. I found him to be pretty creepy. But another that I found to be on the creepy side here was the psychic woman and her granddaughter that Mike went to go see early on in the movie. The way they worked off each other I felt was very cool. And of course I liked the signature of the Phantasm movies... the flying ball... "The Orb of Evil" as I just seen it called in the Phantasm III trailer. I really enjoyed every minute of re-watching this movie. Whether you never had the opportunity to see this movie... or it has been many years since you seen it. This is one I would highly recommend.

I am now looking forward to checking out the rest of the set. I have seen part 2 before... years ago as well. But to be honest I don't believe I ever seen the last two movies in this film series. Hopefully they don't go downhill too much!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Haven't seen it in a while but find it pretty good too, this is an exemple of a well done scary movie because of the atmosphere. I will certainly rewatch it in march when I'll got the special edition of Phantasm II (I have already the boring extraless release). The second and third one are as good as the first wich is quite rare, never seen the last one but from what I've read it isn't really good.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Jimmy. I have to hold off a little on the rest of the set. I promised my brother I would watch certain movies with him this weekend...and he is up now... so we are now finishing off (last part) of Tin Men. Then we are supposed to watch some Marilyn Monroe.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
     Tin Man: 2 Disc Collector's Edition (2007/United States)
Genius Products, RHI Entertainment
Director:Nick Willing
Writing:Craig Van Sickle (Screenwriter), Steven Long Mitchell (Screenwriter), Jill Blotevogel (Screenwriter), Craig Van Sickle (Story By), Steven Long Mitchell (Story By), L. Frank Baum (Original Material By)
Length:265 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Zooey Deschanel as DG
Alan Cumming as Glitch
Neal McDonough as Cain
Kathleen Robertson as Azkadellia
Raoul Trujillo as Raw
Callum Keith Rennie as Zero

Plot:
Follow a new yellow brick road with Tin Man, the unforgettable science fiction update of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. When small-town waitress D.G. (Zooey Deschanel) unexpectedly lands in the dangerous wasteland known as The O.Z., she'll need the help of three unlikely friends and the great Mystic Man (Academy Award© Winner Richard Dreyfuss*) to escape cruel sorceress Azkadellia (Kathleen Robertson). Featuring "all the goodness of the classic" (TV Guide), TIN MAN doesn't just go over the rainbow... it goes way beyond.

*1977 Best Actor, The Goodbye Girl.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I watched this one with my brother. We couldn't do it all in one sitting... so we watched each part approximately a week apart. Finishing it off today. After the first part both my brother and I came to the same conclusion. This is one weird retelling of The Wizard of Oz! The thing is though, weird doesn't necessarily mean bad. And we both found ourselves being drawn into the story. And this fact continues through-out all three parts of the mini-series. As it turns out we found that we enjoyed this mini-series quite a bit overall. Being as weird as it is though, I do have a little trouble recommending this one to others. I would say if you are even curious after watching the trailer to give it a try... and don't make any snap judgements watch at least the entire first part before giving up on it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
     The Seven Year Itch: The Diamond Collection (1955/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Billy Wilder
Writing:Billy Wilder (Screenwriter), George Axelrod (Screenwriter), George Axelrod (Original Material By)
Length:104 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.55:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Marilyn Monroe as The Girl
Tom Ewell [Tommy Ewell] as Richard Sherman
Evelyn Keyes as Helen Sherman
Sonny Tufts as Tom MacKenzie
Robert Strauss as Mr. Kruhulik
Oscar Homolka as Dr. Brubaker

Plot:
Marilyn Monroe proves that no man can resist her – especially a married man – in this sexy romp directed by Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot) and heralded as one of the quintessential comedies of all time! When a seductive starlet (Monroe) moves in upstairs, a married man (Tom Ewell) has his fidelity put to the test. Keeping his marriage vows in the face of her flirtations proves hilariously tough when challenged by the notorious "Seven Year Itch."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned
  • Movietone Newsreel
  • Restoration Comparison

My Thoughts:
This is the very first Marilyn Monroe movie I ever seen. This one was recommended to my by a friend. Over-all I found it to be a fun watch. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Marilyn Monroe was definitely a beautiful woman. Though I must admit the way she talked will take a little getting used to. The way she does her voice... like she was trying to make every word of every sentence sound sexy. It just seemed a little strange. But this one is a fun comedy... well worth checking out. Now I am looking forward to watching the other movie I have with her in it... Some Like It Hot.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I fully agree with you for Tin Man.  Really liked it and always recommend it.  Weird is good
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 10, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
     Some Like It Hot: 50th Anniversary Edition (1959/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment
Director:Billy Wilder
Writing:Billy Wilder (Screenwriter), I. A. L. Diamond (Screenwriter), Robert Thoeren [R. Thoeren] (Original Material By), Michael Logan [M. Logan] (Original Material By)
Length:121 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Marilyn Monroe as Sugar Kane (Kowalczyk)
Tony Curtis as Joe/Josephine/Junior Shell
Jack Lemmon as Jerry/Daphne
George Raft as Spats Colombo
Pat O'Brien (1948) as Mulligan
Joe E. Brown as Osgood Fielding

Plot:
When Chicago musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a southbound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest — and homeliest — members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect...until a lovelorn singer (Marilyn Monroe) falls for "Josephine," an ancient playboy (Joe E. Brown) falls for "Daphne," and a mob boss (George Raft) refuses to fall for their hoax!

Nominated for 7 Academy Awards®,* Some Like It Hot is the quintessential madcap farce and "one of the greatest of all film comedies" (The Motion Picture Guide).

*1959: Director, Actor (Lemmon), Screenplay (based on material from another medium), Cinematography (B&W), Art Direction – Set Direction (B&W), Costume Design (B&W) [winner]

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
My brother and I just finished watching the only other Marilyn Monroe movie that I own. Another great comedy. One that I enjoyed just as much as the previous movie... probably even enjoyed it a bit more. There is some good laughs in this one.  But more then a great comedy... it is an all around great movie. I would recommend it t anyone. So if you haven't done so yet... check this one out!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »
second and third one are as good as the first wich is quite rare, never seen the last one but from what I've read it isn't really good.
The third one has Michael Baldwin (not related) back as Mike.

I always found they get weirder as they go along, but the fourth one certainly takes the cake :laugh: But since "weird doesn't necessarily mean bad"... I actually saw IV in the cinema(!) and was mainly disappointed by the lack of a proper ending; somehow I had expected it would conclude the series :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 10, 2013, 02:36:22 AM »
     Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 (2012/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Jay Oliva
Writing:Bob Goodman (Writer), Frank Miller (1957) (Original Material By), Klaus Janson (Original Material By), Bob Kane (Created By)
Length:76 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen

Stars:
Peter Weller as Batman
Ariel Winter as Robin
David Selby as Commissioner Gordon
Wade Williams as Harvey Dent
Carlos Alazraqui as Hernando
Dee Bradley Baker as Don

Plot:
Another night falls over Gotham City and with the darkness out crawls the crime and villainy from the shadows. The days of The Batman and other noble super heroes are but faded memories; violence and despair are now the harbingers of out time. But one event will set a change into motion: when Harvey "Two Face" Dent shuns a former rehabilitated life for a descent into corruption, an aged and weathers Bruce Wayne dons the mask and cape once more. With a stellar voice cast headed by Peter Weller, Ariel Winter and David Selby, this gritty DC Comics legend comes to life with unforgettable battles, thrilling chases and the promise of a better tomorrow for humanity, because there is nowhere for criminals to hide when the Dark Knight returns.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • A Sneak Peak at Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2
  • A Sneak Peak at Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

My Thoughts:
Another animated Batman movie for me to enjoyed. And enjoy it I did. Though I do admit that it was different then I was expecting. Batman is older then I realized he would be... but he can still get the job done. And I was really surprised to see a female Robin. I guess surprises like this is to be expected when you don't read the comics. I does seem like Batman is going a little over the top with his return. But going by the trailer... I thought it would be worse then it actually was. Of course I am sure he will go even further in the next part. While I was fine with how they ended part 1... there was no way I wasn't going to stick part 2 in immediately afterwards.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 10, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
     Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2: Two - Disc Special Edition (2013/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video
Director:Jay Oliva
Writing:Bob Goodman (Writer)
Length:76 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Peter Weller as Batman (Voice)
Ariel Winter as Robin (Voice)
Michael Emerson as Joker (Voice)
David Selby as Congressman Noches (Voice)
Dee Bradley Baker as Don (Voice)
Paget Brewster as Lana Lang (Voice)

Plot:
The Dark Knight and the brave, young Carrie Kelly at his side as Robin have finally reclaimed Gotham City and allowed a ray of hope to penetrate the reign of terror that The Mutants cast upon their city. With Batman back in the spotlight, the extended media coverage has awoken a far worse evil at Arkham Asylum – The Joker! Destined to be Batman's mortal enemy, The Joker has a diabolical scheme that may pull Batman down to the darkest levels of insanity. Meanwhile, on the horizon, a global catastrophe races toward Gotham, and with it comes a familiar face, the Man of Steel, though this time he has Batman in his sights. A returning voice cast, headed by Peter Weller, Ariel Winter and David Selby, delivers the epic finale of this DC Comics legend. Watch as the aging Dark Knight wages a tireless war against crime while proving that courage and will are indeed timeless.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • 2 Episodes of Batman: The Animated Series
  • 1 Episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold

My Thoughts:
I watched this one last night after watching part 1. It is a good continuation to the story... I enjoyed it quite a bit. I got used to the female Robin... which seemed a little strange to me at first but ended up really liking the character. I did find it a little weird how Batman looked at this Robin as more of an employee... always threatening to fire her. While these Batman films are different then what I am usually used to and expect to see... they are definitely worth the time put in to watch them. I recommend checking them out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
     The Dark Knight Rises (2012/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Christopher Nolan
Writing:Jonathan Nolan (Screenwriter), Christopher Nolan (Screenwriter), Christopher Nolan (Story By), David S. Goyer (Story By), Bob Kane (Original Characters By)
Length:165 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne
Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon
Tom Hardy as Bane
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Blake
Anne Hathaway as Selina
Marion Cotillard as Miranda

Plot:
Eight years ago, after assuming the blame for D.A. Harvey Dent's death, a disgraced Batman (Christian Bale) mysteriously vanished. But everything changes with the appearance of a cunning cat burglar (Anne Hathaway) and the arrival of Bane (Tom Hardy), a ruthless madman. Bane's reign of terror forces Bruce out of his self-imposed exile and into the ultimate battle for Gotham City's survival...and his own.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Last night Brittany and I watched this one. Since I watched it with her... we were able to watch the blu-ray version. I enjoyed this one quite a bit... but I was expecting more from it. I don't know... maybe I let the hype get to me a little too much. I has a pretty good story... but I would have liked to seen Batman on screen more then what we did. The way they did Bane in this one seemed a little odd to me as well. Not bad mind you... just odd. This is one that is definitely worth checking out... just don't let the hype get to you.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete