Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467526 times)

Najemikon

Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
it looks dreadful and the cover with that ridiculous Thing make up puts me off more! If I was ever going to give it a chance, you've put me off completely when you say Doom doesn't have powers. Yes, he should and yes he did in the comics. He is a legendary villain (both Spider Man and Iron Man have struggled with him as well as the Four) and if the film can't even hint at that its null and void. I know you like to give stuff a chance, but in my eyes, there is nothing more unforgivable than exploiting someone else's work without respect. In fact, isn't this the version that the producer just made to retain the film rights?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
This Lin was never meant for release ;) Roger Corman produced it purely do that the rights on the propery wouldn't expire and it was immediately shelved. I haven't seen it, but I could even Corman may have put in a slightly better effort if it was ment to be released.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
Right... as far as I can tell... this one was never meant to be released. The strange thing though... is I was told on another forum that Dr. Doom didn't have powers in the comics. Of course I believe he is a fan of the older original comics. So that could be the difference.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Marvel and DC both change their characters profiles frequently, but so far as I understood, Doom was always a sorcerer and a brilliant scientist and mixing the two was what enabled him to bend physics.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
They definitely touched on the scientist part... but I didn't see anything that touched on the sorcerer part at all.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »
I have heard about this movie for years. The huge majority of what I heard wasn't very good.
A chance some people can understand the story behind a project before calling it amateur crap ;D
Wich you don't but many does...

This Lin was never meant for release ;) Roger Corman produced it purely do that the rights on the propery wouldn't expire and it was immediately shelved.
Not exactly. He was hired by Bernd Eichinger of Constantin Film who had a soon to expired option on The Fantastic Four characters. The only way to not loose it was to do a film fast and the best guy in town to produce a film fast and cheaply being Corman he got the job. Roger Corman, none of the actors and no crew members knew it wasn't supposed to be release so they did the best they could with the budget they had (a little bit over 1 million). The film was highly promoted in the comic books convention and the talk shows circuit. At one point Constantin Films sell it to the principal cast members as a pilot for a future TV serie when it became evident that it won't be a good looking film. But before the end of the project Constantin bought the Roger Corman participation in the film and stop all the expense. So the special effects were never done properly (what is in the film is non completed FX, it's the reason why they look so bad and cheesy). At the end Constantin Films was unable to retain their option anyway on the Marvel characters...

it looks dreadful and the cover with that ridiculous Thing make up puts me off more!

It isn't the cover, the film never got one or a theatrical poster....

I was told on another forum that Dr. Doom didn't have powers in the comics.
and this is right.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Jimmy! :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »
I was told on another forum that Dr. Doom didn't have powers in the comics.
and this is right.
[/quote]

yeah, but it's not! I used to read Spider-Man regularly. Doom had powers enough to be a problem to Parker. He was a sorcerer who augmented his powers with science.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »
Thanks for fixing my story, Jimmy. I believe you told me before :headscratch:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
No problem ;D

In fact the Fantastic Four characters are fascinating ones, I grew up as a big fan of them in the seventies (I was filled with joy when a new Fantastic Four and The Avengers were at the newsstand). This film take a lot of heat and hate, but when you look at it except for the non-sense Jeweller it did a better job at respecting the premisse of the comic book than a 200+ millions movie did. Sure the FX are better in the most recent Fantastic Four, but a movie needs more than that to succeed. It need a soul and a cast who give everything they got with their heart, this is why the 1994 film is so much better (if only the FX would have been completed that would be obvious).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
     Death Note II: The Last Name (2006/Japan)

VIZ Pictures
Director:Shusuke Kaneko
Writing:Tsugumi Ohba (Original Material By), Takeshi Obata (Original Material By), Tetsuya Oishi (Screenwriter), Shusuke Kaneko (Screenwriter)
Length:140 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Tatsuya Fujiwara as Light Yagami
Kenichi Matsuyama as L / Ryuzaki
Erika Toda as Misa Amane
Nana Katase as Kiyomi Takada
Magy as Demegawa
Sakura Uehara as Saeko Nishiyama

Plot:
The sequel to the phenomenal hit move DEATH NOTE (directed by renowned filmmaker Shusuke Kancko), DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME concludes the titanic battle between the two geniuses L and Light, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers again contributing the theme song.

Light Yagami has joined the investigation team in pursuit of the serial killer know as “Kira.” While L strongly suspects Light is “Kira,” Light continues to seek out L’s real name so he can kill him using the Death note. Things get more unpredictable with the appearance of a second “Kira” who possesses the “Eyes of Death God,” enabling the owner to see the true identity and life span of any person.

Light soon learns the identity of the second “Kira” and wants to join forces to get rid of L. Will L be able to unmask “Kira” before he gets killed? Which name will be the last written in the Death Note?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:
My daughter Brittany has been bugging me to watch this movie with her since I watched the first part 7 months ago! I don't know what caused me to delay so long... guess more then anything was the length of the movie. But now that I watched it.... I am thrilled that I did. I enjoyed every minute of it! This movie definitely knows how to keep you interested! I was glued to the set from the beginning to the end. I don't know what I was expecting... but the ending I think could have somehow been better. Not that it was a bad ending... I guess I was just expecting a little more. If you never seen this series of movies I highly recommend them. I still need to add part 3 to my collection... which I hope to do before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
I thought the ending was perfect. Nice twist to the ending of the original manga. Essentially because it combines a major turning point in the manga storyline with the manga's ending to a great effect.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
Like I said... it isn't like I disliked the ending. I think I just was expecting something bigger somehow.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »
...more of an actual battle than just a battle of the minds...?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
Yeah... I think that could be part of it. I think I would also liked to had seen someone else find a Death Note at the end of the movie as well. Not sure why... just to show the story continues on after the movie or something. I also didn't care too much for the look of the second Shinigami, Rem... the all white look just didn't work for me... but that is a minor complaint.
Pete