Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires  (Read 9333 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
Weekend Movie Marathon

Vampires
This weekend I had a strong urge to watch some of my vampire movies. Even though I watched several vampire movies during my October marathon... but this is the first marathon I have devoted to vampires in almost a year (last one was February '08). As I am sure most people here know vampire movies is my favorite horror sub-genre. I have enjoyed them since I first started watching horror when I was a kid. So this weekend I decided to watch...

Vamp
A group of fraternity pledges head for the seedy side of the city in search of strippers and discover a sinister spot called The After Dark Club. But when the bar's luscious dancers turn out to be bloodthirsty vampires led by the kinky Katrina (GRACE JONES), the evening takes on a freaky new twist. Can these guys survive a bizarre onslaught on vixens and vamps, or will the armies of the undead take the ultimate bite out of their night.

CHRIS MAKEPEACE (MEATBALLS), ROBERT RUSLER (WEIRD SCIENCE), GEDDE WATANABE (SIXTEEN CANDLES) and DEDEE PFEIFFER co-star in this outrageously sexy horror comedy that features wild makeup effects by OscarĀ®-winner GREG CANNOM (DRACULA, THE MASK).

My Thoughts:
I thought I would start things out with a guilty pleasure type movie. It is not what I would call a great movie by any means... but it is definitely a lot of fun. It has a good mixture of comedy and horror. Though it is over the top at times. At first I wasn't sure what I thought of Grace Jones as the Vampire Katrina... but she did fine in this movie... and definitely brought something to the role. Over-all this is just a leave your brain at the door pop-corn flick type of movie. One that I just enjoy every second of once in a while.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »

30 Days of Night
Josh Harnett ('The Black Dahlia', 'Pearl Harbor') crosses over to the dark side in this bone-chilling adaptation of the cult-hit graphic novel, brought to the screen in all its demonic glory. In a small Alaskan town, thirty days of night is a natural phenomenon. Very few outsiders visit, until a band of bloodthirsty, deathly pale vampires mark their arrival by savagely attacking sled dogs. But soon they find there are much more satisfying thirst-quenchers about: human beings. One by one, the townspeople succumb to a living nightmare, but a small group survives -- at least for now. The vampires use the dark to their advantage, and surviving this cold hell is a game of cat and mouse... and screams.

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I have watched this movie. The first time I enjoyed it... but was left with a bit of disappointment as I didn't feel it lived up to all the hype it got. This time around I found I enjoyed it even more then the first time as I was able to go into it without expecting too much. It still isn't the best vampire movie I ever seen... but definitely one worth watching. I especially enjoyed Melissa George in this movie. I have become a fan of hers since she was on that season of Alias.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »

The Forsaken
Sean (Kerr Smith) is in a race against time that will determine his fate for the rest of his life as he becomes infected with a virus that will eventually turn him into a blood-sucking, flesh eating vampire.

A cross-country road trip takes a dangerous detour when driver-for-hire Sean (Kerr Smith) picks up Nick, a hitchhiker (Brendan Fehr) who is on the trail of a band of vampires. At a roadside diner, the encounter a crazed and helpless woman, a recent victim of a vampire feeding, and Sean becomes infected. Now, the three must race against time to track down and kill the source of the virus: a centuries-old vampire with superhuman strength and an appetite for blood.

A hard-driving, adrenaline-pumping thriller in the infectious tradition of THE LOST BOYS and JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES, THE FORSAKEN will scare the daylights out of you!

My Thoughts:
This one... to me... is a decent vampire flick... but somewhat been there done that. Really not much new or original in this movie. But it can be entertaining. It is kinda fun seeing a vampire road movie. And topless women throughout the movie don't hurt my feelings any either.  :P But this is not a movie I would feel comfortable recommending... if you must see it I would say try to catch it on cable... or rent it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins star in director Francis Ford Coppola's visually stunning, passionately seductive version of the classic Dracula legend.

In 'BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA', Coppola returns to the original source of the Dracula myth, and from that gothic romance, he creates a modern masterpiece. Gary Oldman's metamorphosis as Dracula - who grows from old to young, from man to beast - is nothing short of amazing. Winona Ryder brings equal intensity to the role of a young beauty who becomes the object of Dracula's devastating desire. Anthony Hopkins co-stars as the famed doctor who dares to believe in Dracula, and then dares to confront him. Opulent, dazzling and utterly irresistible, this is Dracula as you've never seen him. And once you've seen 'BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA', you'll never forget it.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good telling of the Dracula story. I enjoyed watching it... though it is a little slow at times. But I guess that goes with having a good story within a horror movie. I thought that all the people involved did a good job. I don't know why I don't watch this movie more often then I do. I think it is no more then the pure length that puts me off... being over 2 hours it is hard to get in the mood for such a long movie at times.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
I don't know why I don't watch this movie more often then I do.

Keanu Reeves' accent? Possibly the worst since Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins? ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
 :laugh: You definitely have a point there.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

Blade
Wesley Snipes stars as the tortured soul Blade - half man, half immortal. Blade sharpens his lethal skills under the guidance of Whistler (Kris Kristofferson), his mentor, guardian and fellow hunter of the night. When the bloodthirsty Immortals' lord, Deacon Frost (Stephen Dorff), declares war on the human race, Blade is humanity's last hope for survival.

My Thoughts:
Well... I haven't watched this one in quite a while. I believe this movie was actually the first taste I got of the genres action and horror combined so well. I think Wesley Snipes was a great choice to play Blade. He really looks the part... and has the Martial Arts background for it as well. I really enjoyed this movie. Whether you like Action, horror... or both I would recommend this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »
The fight in the club was probably the most horrifying part of this movie for you  :P

Even me I hate this heartless techno music...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:51:30 AM »
yeah... I have to admit... the music in that scene was a little difficult to ignore. I forgot to mention... I let my daughter watch Blade with me today. She really enjoyed it.... and wants to watch the next 2 parts with me tomorrow. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

Blade II
WHEN THE WORLD IS THREATENED BY A NEW AND DEADLIER BREED OF SUPER VAMPIRE, the legendary Blade ('Wesley Snipes') and his mentor Whistler ('Kris Kristofferson') must join forces with the Bloodpack, an elite team of vampire warriors made up of his sworn enemies. In order to stop the carnage these ravenous fiends must be destroyed at all costs in this high-voltage adventure, exploding with spectacular effects and martial arts action. The electrifying Snipes reprises his role from the original cult classic, 'Blade'.

My Thoughts:
In my opinion, this is a very good follow-up to the first Blade movie. Once again Wesley Snipes was very cool in the title role. I got a real kick out of the new breed of vampire. I think I enjoyed this one just as much as the first one... if not a hair more. My daughter watched both Blade movies with me... the first thing out of her mouth after watching this one was to ask if I will be watching the 3rd. She also thinks Blade is very cool.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:43 PM »
I think Blade II is the best of the bunch. Well, Guillermo did it, that speaks for itself :) The first one comes in second but III just was getting all too funny. Apparently they also tried to set the other two guys up to be Blade's successors which obviously didn't turn out.