Author Topic: James Bond Marathon  (Read 104845 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: James Bond Marathon
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2009, 07:02:45 AM »
 :hysterical: :hysterical:

You do have a point

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
http://www.invelos.com/mpimages/02/027616066602.3f.jpg

James Bond is thrust into one of his most riveting adventures in this jam-packed free-for-all of outrageous stunts, passionate encounters and exciting confrontations. Roger Moore portrays Agent 007 with lethal determination in a plot that finds him infiltrating the Greek underworld and racing against time to find a stolen device capable of controlling a fleet of nuclear submarines.

My Thoughts

This is a decent addition to the Bond movie series, though it isn't as strong as some of the other movies.  There is good action, including more impressive ski scenes.  The main villain isn't anything special.  The women were fine.  Thankfully James resisted Bebe.  She was entirely too young for him.  Her being interested in James wasn't as believable.  I like the movie, but it is just sort of an average Bond movie.  The best part of the movie is the theme song.

:D

I still have to watch the extras and I'll get a review typed up to post on Epinions eventually.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
Octopussy...

Sounds like something that Jimmy would watch :devil:
This is a good movie :thumbup:

Are we talking about this one?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:28 AM »
This is a good movie :thumbup:

Are we talking about this one?

:hysterical:

I should have expected it...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

Title: Octopussy
Year: 1983
Director: John Glen
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 125 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.45
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Roger Moore
Maud Adams
Louis Jourdan
Kristina Wayborn
Kabir Bedi

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Storyboard Sequenzen
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I rather enjoyed the first half hour of this movie, but for some reason I lost interest in it after that.
And what was the point of introducing the assistant for Moneypenny? Did the producer want to introduce a possible replacement?
I must say, that I liked the first M better. I have just read, that Lois Maxwell lobbied for Moneypenny to be the new M after the retirement of Moore as Bond. I think that would have been a fun idea.
And amazing with what lines the Bond movies get away with:
"What's this?" - "This is my Octopussy"

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »

From a thrilling jet chase to a climactic countdown to nuclear disaster, James Bond is back in an electrifying adventure that pushes the limit for nonstop excitement. Roger Moore portrays the immortal action hero, perfectly capturing Agent 007's deadly expertise, acerbic wit and overpowering sex appeal as he investigates the murder of a fellow agent who was clutching a priceless Fabergé egg at the time of his death.

My Thoughts

This is the first Bond movie that I remember seeing, which is probably why I still like it more than most other people.  It is a bit silly at times, but I still thought it was entertaining and enjoyable.  Moore is still good as Bond, though his age is showing more.  Kamal is a decent villain even though he isn't as memorable as some others.  His henchman is effective too and reminds me just a bit of Jaws - though I still think Jaws is the better henchman.  Involving a circus did get a bit silly, but it still managed to work for the most part.  The new M is fine, though Bernard Lee was better in the part.  Miss Moneypenny didn't have much to do..and her new assistant even less.  I don't remember the assistant showing up in later movies.  The movie does drag a little at times, but overall I still enjoy it.  I also love the theme song.

I still have to watch the extras and get a longer review done to post on Epinions.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:38:04 PM by Dragonfire »

richierich

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
Octopussy

Agent 007 is as daring as ever in the 13th installment in the Bond series. A maniacal Soviet general (Steven Berkoff) is about to cause a nuclear accident that will cripple Western Europe and make the USSR ruler of the world. In order to stop him, Bond (Roger Moore) travels by hot air balloon and folding miniature jet plane to exotic India, where the perils he encounters include a man-eating tiger--and the equally dangerous female head of an international smuggling ring. Maud Adams plays the fabulous villain, Octopussy. This film was released simultaneously against NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, in which Sean Connery reprised the Bond role for the first time in 12 years.

A good start to the film specifically with the plane stunt through the hanger, but unfortunately the film slowly petered out like a dying flame. It hit the ridiculous mark when they played a Tarzan yell as Bond swung through trees trying to escape, and it never recovered after.
Moore is now showing his age (and his weight), relying heavily on perhaps one too many glib remarks and some disappointingly bad acting, and it is difficult to believe he is athletic and a daring spy anymore. The leading lady is unnoticeable, and the villain limp. The storyline is disjointed, and for a change the score and theme song do not inspire
One of the worst Bonds in my book.
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
Never Say Never Again

In this remake and updated version of the 1965 THUNDERBALL, James Bond (Sean Connery), who has been primarily teaching for the last few years, is quite happily yanked out of semiretirement to deal with the deadly SPECTRE organization's newest plan for the destruction of the planet. (The Bond story line mimics Connery's semiretirement from the role, which he had last played in 1971's DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.) Agent Number 2, also known as Maximilian Largo (Klaus Maria Brandauer), has managed to steal two cruise missiles armed with nuclear warheads, and Agent Number 1, Blofeld (Max von Sydow), has threatened to explode them in areas with large populations if a huge, and almost impossible, ransom demand from the NATO countries is not met. The film features an excellent gaming battle between Largo and Bond, as well as stunning turns by Barbara Carrera and Kim Basinger. Technically not an offical Bond movie, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN was released around the same time as OCTOPUSSY, starring Roger Moore.

Looks like a Bond, smells like a Bond, sounds like a Bond, but it isn't a Bond!
Despite the ingredients being similar, they could not quite replicate the winning formula that is 007. Connery does his best to pull the film through, Bassinger was a convincing Bond girl, and the sexy Barbara Carrera raised temperatures especially when dressed as a nurse with long leather boots. There were exotic locations, plenty of action and fights, and I am sure a fairly hefty budget.
But now the negatives and why it cannot be considered in the same breath as the 007 series. The theme tune is weak, the opening titles (minus the sexist girls) are run of the mill, M is a disaster with Edward Fox, Q is basically absent, lack of flirting with Moneypenny, 007's glib remarks lack the typical punch and cheesiness, the action is below par, the effects disappointed several times (notably the missile scenes), distinct lack of gadgets, and a different and inferior feel to the whole production compared to the mainstream Bonds.
Close - but no cigar

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »

Title: A View to a Kill
Year: 1985
Length: 126 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Roger Moore
Christopher Walken
Tanya Roberts
Grace Jones
Patrick Macnee

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
An obvious 80's movie. It starts with the opening music, followed by the spy robot of Q.
This movie is not as bad as I remembered it. The beginning was rather fun and I also liked the showdown.
Even though I usually like Christopher Walken, I have the feeling that he is misplaced as a Bond villain. Somehow the movie seemed more like a parody to me.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »

Sean Connery is back for his final performance as agent James Bond in this high-velocity action thriller...and now you can experience it as never before with this explosively entertaining Collector's Edition with all-new audio commentary and three nerver-before-seen featurettes! Angent 007 is hurled into a pulse-pounding race to save the world from armageddon when two atomic warheards are hijacked by the evil SPECTRE organization!

My Thoughts

I was only mildly entertained by this one.  The theme song sucks and the opening credits aren't that good.  M is acting like a new age idiot babbling on about free radicals and sending James off to that spa where the all the doctor seemed to want to do was order up colonics and enemas.  The plot was handled better in Thunderball.  The settings looked nice, but things just seem off.  The underwater scenes are nowhere near as good as the ones in Thunderball.  That computer game thing that Max and James played was just bizarre.  The cast is mostly ok.  Connery is still good, but he didn't seem like James anymore.  Blofeld wasn't as effective.  The action is ok, but nothing special.  I don't hate the movie, but I don't love it either.  I think I've actually seen this version more than Thunderball, but that version is so much better.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »

Title: The Living Daylights
Year: 1987
Length: 125 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Timothy Dalton
Maryam d'Abo
Jeroen Krabbé
Joe Don Baker
John Rhys-Davies

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I really looked forward seeing this Bond movie again. When I remember correctly, this was one of the first Bond movies which I had seen. I started relatively late watching Bond movies. The first that I saw in the theater was "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Probably I am the only one here who thinks that, but in my opinion, "The Living Daylights" is one of the best James Bond movies of all. Probably my favourite. Also Timothy Dalton is my favourite James Bond actor.
I like his more serious (compared to Moore) and less chauvinistic (compared to Connery) Bond.
Also Timothy Dalton had in my opinion just the right age to play a believable Bond here.

I particulary like that there is only one Bond girl (not counting the girl from the pre-opening titles sequence), and that the romantic storyline is present throughout the movie.

Even though the new Moneypenny is inferior to Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny, I like that the character seems to have more involved in the operation of MI6 than being the secretary to M.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2009, 11:05:01 PM »
I always found The Living Daylights a bit odd. Isn't this the one where he slides down a ski slope on a violin case? Urgh.  ::) Later I read that Moore was supposed to do it up to a late stage and Dalton came in last minute to handle a script that didn't suit him. I much preferred the grittier Licence To Kill, but the franchise was suffering and sadly, Dalton dropped through the cracks.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »

Roger Moore lends humour, elegance and lethal charm to his final performance as James Bond in 'A View to a Kill'. Bond confronts Max Zorin (Christopher Walken), who has devised a plan to corner the world's microchip market, even if he has to kill millions to do it! But before Bond can stop the madman, he must confront Zorin's beautiful and deadly companion May Day (Grace Jones).

My Thoughts

This one isn't one of the best Bond movies, but I do enjoy it overall.  Several aspects were more silly than anything, but everything still worked overall.  Zorin is fine as a villain, though not one of the best.  Given when the movie was made, it makes sense for computer chips to be involved in some way.  I'm still not sure what I think of May Day.  She made a good hench..person and there is something rather creepy about her.  The action scenes are decent, though some things are more over the top.  I could definitely tell in a few places that a stunt man was standing in while in the previous movies it wasn't as noticeable to me.  Moore is definitely showing his age and it isn't as believable that all the young women were jumping into bed with him.

I still have to watch the extras on my DVD.

richierich

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »
A View to a Kill

Agent 007 (Roger Moore) races against time to stop a power-mad industrialist (Christopher Walken) who plots to kill millions in order to corner the world’s microchip supply. From the Eiffel Tower to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, James Bond can’t be stopped!

Unconvincing and dated plot and a tired Moore in a corset as Bond, made this outing slightly below par. There is still plenty of action and memorable excitement, the scenes around the Eiffel Tower and the opening skiing shots especially. Walken, McNee and Grace Jones are welcome additions to the 007 film series, Tanya Roberts an unmitigated disaster.
The best part of the film is of course the superb role of Alison Doody as Jenny Flex, who can forget these immortal lines on meeting Bond?;

Jenny approaches Bond wearing tight Jodhpurs outside Zorins residence...

Jenny - Good afternoon, I'm Jenny Flex
Bond - of course you are (raises eyebrow)
walks up stairs...
Bond - I expect you spend a lot of time in the saddle
Jenny - Oh I love an early morning ride
Bond - I'm an early riser myself (raises eyebrow)

Classic lines, not sure if they could get away with so easily now.

Overall though as Moores last outing, this movie does not deliver enough punch, and the storyline has proved flimsy and dated.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »

Title: Licence to Kill
Year: 1989
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 127 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.45
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Timothy Dalton
Carey Lowell
Robert Davi
Talisa Soto
Anthony Zerbe

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
In my opinion, this movie takes itself too serious for a James Bond movie. Almost no light-hearted moment in it (except when Q is on-screen). It is a non-stop action movie without much witty banter.
Plus side: We have two hot Bond girls in it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:56:14 AM by Tom »