Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 381701 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #390 on: September 01, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
This has been on my unwatched list for a long time now... sounds like it will remain there for a while!  :P

If you ever do get round to punishing yourself and watching this, do not watch with your daughter. There is continual pointless and extreme swearing, tacky masturbation and sex scenes etc. Lets be honest who wants to see the guy from X-Files jacked off by a masseuse? euwww  :yucky:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
Lets be honest who wants to see the guy from X-Files jacked off by a masseuse? euwww  :yucky:

Well, some obviously do, because Showtime has an entire series about it. Californication is in its 3rd season I believe. I only ever watched two or three episodes of it and was bored to tears.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:46:22 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:20 AM »
Lets be honest who wants to see the guy from X-Files jacked off by a masseuse? euwww  :yucky:

Well, some obviously do, because Showtime has an entire series about it. Californication is in its 3rd season I believe. I only ever watched two or three episodes of it and was bored to tears.

I think Californication is fantastic! I've seen some of Full Frontal, enough to know it's absolutely not for me. Californication has a lot more going for it than that.

richierich

« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2009, 10:48:12 PM »
Crank 2

You can’t keep a good man down. Jason Statham is back as Chev Chelios – this time to retrieve his stolen heart (that’s right, he’s running on battery power). High-octane and truly electrifying!

Ridiculous storyline, pointlessly over-violent, brutal, blood-thirsty, vulgar and hardcore. Statham slumps to a new low, it is a shame as he used to be in much better roles. Staggering amount of flesh on display, the language will turn your ears blue, and there is an uncomfortable sleaziness that prevails over the whole film.
This may be destined to cult status with it's 'I don't give a f^%$' attitude, but for me it was just too over the top and swamped with such unnecessary gore and violence that it was a turn-off for the movie.
 :-\

Najemikon

« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
I assume you've seen part 1? Surely it's more of the same.

richierich

« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »
I assume you've seen part 1? Surely it's more of the same.

Yes, but about 5 times worse  :suicide:

Najemikon

« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2009, 11:44:54 PM »
Hold on, that suggests you didn't like Crank... why watch the sequel, you masochist? :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
Jon, I've done the same with Lizzie Borden... remember? Maybe Rich wanted to know if it will be as bad :shrug:

richierich

« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »
16 year old son I'm afraid, I regularly get hints on what I should buy for when he is staying at my place.
By the way, even he said the film was disappointing, and he can really sit through rubbish if its an 'in' film  ::)

richierich

« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
Angels & Demons

Tom Hanks and Ron Howard unite for their fourth pairing with this follow-up to THE DA VINCI CODE. Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) works to solve a murder and prevent a terrorist act against the Vatican.

The follow on from Da Vinci Code, lacking the originals controversy, and straying further from the book than I would have liked.
It is very current, utilising the Hadron Collider in it's old age look at Religion vs Science. As expected it is a good blend of action and adventure, limitless budget allowing for some spectacular shots and effects, an impressive cast list, and direction/production values we have got used to with Howards films.
The film is more suspenseful than DVC, it feels more 'real', and the twist near the end was well crafted. McGregor stood out for me as the best actor, but it is hard to point a finger at any who under-performed.
But the ending
(click to show/hide)
was just too perfect and lazy, and I think we should have been left with more questions and thoughts to ponder when the credits rolled.
Certainly it is a 'must' in most dvd collections, but it will never be the greatest.
 :D

richierich

« Reply #401 on: September 25, 2009, 12:46:20 AM »
Next of Kin

Next of Kin's action blasts through Chicago right from the get-go. The mob wants to muscle in on a local business but they make two mistakes. They kill a youth whose brother is a cop. And that cop is Truman Gates (Patrick Swayze), transplant from Appalachia's backwoods to Chicago's mean streets.

For a break from pilot episodes, I thought I'd pay homage to the late Patrick Swayze. This and Roadhouse were my 2 favourite films of his, and IMO is pretty underrated and relatively unknown.
Vigilante flick that sees redneck cop Swayze pitted against some gangsters, it is a bit corny, specifically his marriage somehow to a concert pianist, but he is fairly convincing in the lead role, with Liam Neeson playing his brother with predictable bad accent. Having seen this originally on vhs, the dvd quality was not a major improvement, thankfully nostalgia for the movie saw me through.
No surprise that Swayze ends up throwing his badge away and reeking some bloody revenge, but like Roadhouse can guiltily be enjoyed despite its more obvious flaws.
 :D

richierich

« Reply #402 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »

Title: Zulu (Blu-Ray)

Runtime:138
Certificate:PG
Year:1964
Genres:War, Action, Drama

Plot:Zulu is one of the great movies, an epic adventure of courage in the face of incredible odds. Based on a true story, it tells the amazing tale of 100 British soldiers who stood fast against an overwhelming force of 4,000 of the Zulu nation's mightiest warriors in the defense of Rorkes Drift in 1879.
Set amongst the stunning South African scenery, Zulu is a landmark action film and a fitting tribute to some of the most magnificent acts of heroism in the history of warfare.
Michael Caine's role as the arrogant but courageous Lt. Bromhead brought him international fame, and there are powerful performances from other great British actors including Stanley Baker and Jack Hawkins.

My Review:
Superb HD format offering of this classic film, the picture literally comes alive in its vivid reds and greens, wonderful African backdrop and DTS audio that added menace, hope and drama at the right points.
A movie that never dates too harshly, it is literally an institution in the UK following its many xmas TV outings.
A perfect example of drama, wonderful script, great acting, cinematography from top drawer, period detail with amazing attention to detail, and stirring music to pull you into the movie.
Excellent collection of extras to educate more about the film, the true characters, and the making of. 
My Rating
 :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

Title: Planet of the Apes (blu-ray)

Runtime:112
Certificate:PG
Year:1968
Genres:Science-Fiction, Adventure

Plot:Witness the evolution of a cinematic masterpiece with this 40th Anniversary Edition of the original Planet of the Apes on Blu-ray, loaded with hours of thrilling extras! In this classic action-adventure film that changed the face of sci-fi forever, an astronaut (Charlton Heston) crash-lands on a strange planet ruled by intelligent apes who use a primitive race of humans for experimentation and sport!

My Review:
HD viewing of another classic. The picture was a stunning improvement, but I was disappointed with the sound upgrade to DTShd, which did not come across as such a vast improvement on original dvd. The crystal clear and dramatic action scenes, being able to define expressions on the humans faces, and the depth of colours, made up for this tenfold. Good extras again, and an interesting commentary.
Please see my film review for my write up on POTA
My Rating
 :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 14, 2009, 04:08:04 AM »
Did The Midnight Meat Train scared you so much that you needed a break? :tease:

More seriously, does your 2 last reviews count as film review for the list?